Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Jagielka

Jagielka's played really well in his recent outings at centre back. With Yobo leaving for the African Nations Cup soon, he could offer some genuine competition for his place. He was hopeless in midfield, but Sheff Utd supporters have told me that centreback was always his best position.

Just as Neville is looking better for a run of games at right back. Jagielka should be given the same opportunity to prove he is more than an average utility player. If he gets that extended run, Lescott and Jagielka have the potential to be a very promising partnership. Likewise, Stubbs and Jagielka.

Hopefully Yobo won't be missed as much as we previously feared....
Dawson Boyle, Crosby     Posted 14/12/2007 at 12:34:17

Comments

Michael Kenrick
I din't really watch him much at Sheff Utd but I guess he stood out as their best player and was involved in a lot more all over the field. That has just not been the case for the Blues so perhaps you're right: it could be a good thing that he is now considered only a centre-back ? especially with Stubbsy looking to be on the verge of hanging up his boots.
Chris Masey
1   Posted 14/12/2007 at 14:23:50

Pivotal player for Sheff. Squad player for Everton, will provide good cover for Yobo when he is away, but will not challenge for a starting place in my opinion. His performances have been average in the last few weeks.
Iain Sweeney
2   Posted 14/12/2007 at 14:36:24

He didn’t have a good game V Zenit. Didn’t see him against West Ham, so can’t comment. Hopefully he can improve and handle the step up. But i have to agree with Chris, he will probably be nothing more than a squad player, who provides cover.
Allan Hobbs
3   Posted 14/12/2007 at 14:45:26

He played really well against West Ham; looked to have a decent understanding with the other defenders and covered really well. He looks to be gaining confidence with every game, and I reckon with the backing of the fans he’ll come good.
David Graves
4   Posted 14/12/2007 at 15:24:51

I agree that he will indeed prove to be a good signing - be it at right back or centre half. He is after all a good footballer who aquited himself very well in a poor Sheff Utd team.
John Lloyd
5   Posted 14/12/2007 at 15:35:40

He didnt look that good in 1st half of West Ham match, in fact when they broke away the odd time thier was a definite lack of understanding between the two centre backs in particular.

To be fair to him though, he had a cracking second half so fair play to the lad.

I have seen him right back, centre back & in midfield now & I believe he will be no more than a squad player but due to versatility he will probably get 30 games a year so if he is happy to do that then I am happy for him to be in squad
Carl Wright
6   Posted 14/12/2007 at 15:36:56

Got to say im not convinced with him.

Theres been a couple of occasions this season were he has looked out of his depth. Maybe he needs more time playing at a high level for a real verdict.

Allan Hobbs
7   Posted 14/12/2007 at 15:40:37

Exactly - he only played one season for s hit Sheff Utd team in the Prem so give him a chance. He’s a talented guy for sure, and his versatility should make him a great asset. Evertonians just need to give him a season to bed-in and I reckon he’ll be a great signing over time.
Andy Callan
8   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:38:42

Put it this way boys he certainly isn’t a centre midfielder is he? I would play him at the back or not at all.

I agree with Carl in saying that he has looked out-of-place at tims and a bit shell-shocked to be honest.

Hopefully with a bit of experience he will improve though.
Chris McGlynn
9   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:14:33

In the first half against West Ham (when he was down our end), I was surprised by how small Jags seemed. He’s supposed to be 5’11 but against a bruiser like Ashton, he appeared short and lightweight. Yobo (who was majestic - even if he does sometimes hold the ball at last man long enough to make you gulp) had to keep switching to cover Ashton on the long ball. Fair play to Jags, he got stuck in on the ground and put himself about but he’s doesn’t dominate in the air like a Stubbsy.

Hopefully, given time to bed in, he can contribute other assets that the likes of Stubbs didn’t rely heavily on (like speed, skill and the ability to release a ball at less than ballistic speed and trajectory) but I think his partner at the back will have to deal with most of the arial balls.
Alan Ryder
10   Posted 14/12/2007 at 17:48:45

He looks short on confidence to me and I think the crowd sense he is going to make mistakes. He’s got me gnawing me knuckles at times. Can be indecisive and lacks positional sense so tends to get caught underneath the high ball or in between and then seems to rely on his athleticism to retrieve his position. Lacks the stature of Yobo and Lescott, however he does have a good engine and I think any long term future would be at full back. May be a confidence thing,(...and I’ve just given him loads!) . Other than that he is a smashing player !!!!and I for one am prepared to be patient with him.