Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Can we fly up the table and breach the top four?

It?s been a dream these last few weeks. Some truly memorable results, and undoubtedly the best period of football under David Moyes. Some are comparing it to the 84 side, which was unfortunately way before my time, and others are still talking about the importance of keeping our feet on the ground. We are in a cup semi-final and I honestly can?t believe it, but current form suggests (9 wins in an 11 match unbeaten run) we should be much further up the league than we actually are. On 27 points, 7th place, we are in touching distance of the top 4, and the next games against United and Arsenal will give us a valuable insight into how far we have actually come.

We breached the top four three years ago with much less resources, and I have this strange feeling in my stomach that we are going to do it again, but this time with attacking, flowing, exhilarating football. I might be in another world, oozing with positivity, but there is an ethos around this team that feels it cannot be beaten, and that is exactly the antidote you need to win trophies. You only need to look at all the late goals we are scoring to realise how on top of our game we are.
Chris Masey, Leeds     Posted 14/12/2007 at 15:22:04

Comments

Colm
Long term I hope it pans out as you desire - long way to go though, won nowt yet, bar plaudits. Let's hope the run and good form continues.
John Lloyd
1   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:29:23

Heres to hoping, I am just loving being an evertoninan at the minute even with ground debate clouding affair. truly is a great time to be a blue & dont we deserve it after the shite we have put up with on & off for the last 10/15 years.

My fingers are crossed, I’ve prayed to God, jesus, allah, mohammed, buddha & dixie (the true god) and I am wishing like you all that not only to we finish as high up as we deserve but get us a trophy & a day out at wembly or city or BOTH....fucking hell I’m getting all worked up here!!
Arthur Jones
2   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:44:10

As to finishing in the top 4 , the next few weeks should be more informative , If we can take points off both utd and arsenal then I think we have a great chance , I personally think this may be a year too soon but I think we?re a cert for a top 6 place and if anyone is going to break into the top 4 its only us who are capable ... here?s hoping !!!!!!!
Chris Keightley
3   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:45:39

However much i dont want to come across as a doom monger, we have to take it a game at a time, i still dont feel we have had a real examination of this current form, sunderland, birmingham, fulham, its good, but not great, many are getting a little ahead of themselves, the tide is turning yes, but defeat to the hammers saturday, and nowt picked up against arsenal or manc shite, and reality will return.

One game at a time, and reflect on the run we have had and enjoy it ? there is a lot of games to go!!!

Marcus Dawson
4   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:51:39

Think it?s way too soon for that Chris, but maybe next season if Moyes can add the quality he did during the summer of 07. I think we?ve gotta concentrate on our cup runs and try to win something this season, don?t care which one anyone will do. I keep pinching myself and I know the run will have to come to an end, but I just hope the quality of the football continues. Good to see Tony Marsh is back as well, bloody hell what?s going on around here?
Martin Cutler
5   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:57:12

Take it one step at a frigging time if you want, hold your breathe if you want, don’t count your chickens etc., etc., etc........BUT when we beat The Hammered tomorrow AND if either Man City and/or Portsmouth lose we’ll be in the THE TOP SIX.......and now I am going to stretch it.....should we win 3-0, and both Man City/Portsmouth lose and Manyoo beat The Red Shite 3-0........we’ll be in the TOP FOUR!!! Fucking hellz bellz!!!

Fantasy I know (or is it)........COYB!!!
Chris Keightley
6   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:59:30

The negatives aside I do feel our spirit deserves a trophy this year and as in 95 when we beat spurs in the semi I have a really good feeling about this campaign, yak has a knack at being at clubs outside the top four that make finals boro- league cup final, and uefa cup final ,maybe we have found our three leaf clover with him !!!!!!!!
Keith Glazzard
7   Posted 14/12/2007 at 18:18:32

Moyes has said all along that we are a big club, and we should be up there. Did he say he needed five years? He should have, even if he didn’t. But that has to be just a beginning. The point is that we are now in the position to start to challenge.

A very important aspect of this will be his ability to bring the players he wants to the club. He can’t do that with money as others will outbid us. But prospects, some proven success and a reputation for quality will count. The January window will be instructive. If we believe what we hear its already settled, so let’s see. If there is a quality player out there who can sign for us, now must be the easiest time in years to persuade him to do so.
Alex Baker
8   Posted 14/12/2007 at 19:56:34

Why are we just aiming for Top 4? Our target should be the title every year! Nil Satis Nisi Optimum...
Keith Glazzard
9   Posted 14/12/2007 at 22:31:43

Alex - of course you?re right. And that?s what Kendall and Harvey would have been thinking in the mid-80?s. It was realistic. And it happened. It can happen again. Moyes and the boys have the base to build on, and the will to do it. What a great time to be an Evertonian.
Rob Hollis
10   Posted 15/12/2007 at 00:29:45

If we stay in all cups for a good while then it is asking a bit much to be top four as well. If we were only in the League then yes.

I do think that us or one of our near rivals will knock the shite out of the top four this season though. If things remain good and we bag two or three decent players in the summer then why not expect a challenge for the title. Thats what it’s about and we are playing as well as anybody. Notice Arsenal have dropped points now the weather has got a bit chilly.
Nick Xenos
11   Posted 15/12/2007 at 05:54:15

For us to breach the top 4, I think it’s important to take 3 points from atleast Man U or Arsenal. This will really give our players the belief that they trully belong in the top 4 and will provide us with a huge boost going into the second half of the season. Rob, Arsenal’s perfomances have nothing to do with the weather but injuries to Fabregas, Flamini, and Hleb.
Tony Hawkins
12   Posted 15/12/2007 at 09:32:38

Alex, ideally we should be aiming for the top spot each year however realistically EVERYONE knows it has been an unobtainable position for many clubs.

Top spot should always be the ultimate aim with mini targets set en route. The mini targets have to be set year on year a milestones checked off. From what I have seen, Moyes has been using this approach to get the team where they are at the moment - by setting realistic, obtainable targets each season.

Just like a career path, you can’t (or very rarely) just go in at the top - you’ve gotta build it up.

I am excited by the possibility this season is promising to deliver and very much hoping the boys can hold it together so they do finish at least in the top 6 AND with a cup!!!
Phil Bellis
13   Posted 15/12/2007 at 13:18:41

Even if results go badly as Chris K opines, it won’t dimish the fact that, accepting we’ve been poor at times, we have also played some great stuff this season. We’re so unused to it that many are stll convinced such moments are flukes and/or the opposition have been poor. But we ARE playing good stuff...if you screw your eyes up when watching some of the replays, it could be...’Ramon Wilson to Kevin Sheedy, inside to Harvey, now Bracewell...through to Ball...goal!! Off for a wee lie-down, now.