Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Glass Full of Humble Pie

This is a post I've wanted to write for three years. I've been critical of Moyes, based on the evidence of hoofball, one-dimensional tactics, a lack of pass and move, no cup runs and the constant references to running and effort.

Its great to see the evidence changing to passing and moving, players going forwards and looking like they're enjoying themselves, a genuine goalscorer who inspires confidence and belief. This is allied to the defensive organisation and spirit that we know Moyes for.

For the first time in ages, we have an Everton side that is playing in a way that makes me proud. Moyes has developed a pacy, passing team with a good spine and we are looking like winners every game. I can't remember the last time when I can't see us losing! And two cup runs!!!!

Why the transformation? Maybe Moyes has more confidence in this squad and finds it easier to let better players play? Who cares! It's always great being an Evertonian. Its bloody marvellous now!

Thanks Davey... and please keep this style of play, particularly when we have a setback. It's effective... and entertaining!
Paul Tran, Kendal     Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:08:15

Comments

Gavin Ramejkis
1   Posted 14/12/2007 at 16:56:40

Great post Paul I’d also add that I don’t get too deflated if we go a goal down as we don’t stop playing til the fat lady sings now either
Glen Strachan
2   Posted 14/12/2007 at 17:28:39

Very true Paul.

I suspect David Moyes has finally found a way to be more confident about himself and following that terrible sterile set of tactics he used for the shameful defeat by perhaps the worst Liverpool side we have played in 30 years , he decided that the only way was up and gambled with a passing game that has been the making of our side.

We are actually worth watching now and with Yakubu doing what he has always done at all of his other clubs and Tiny Tim back fit , Blue Skies are here again.
David Jones
3   Posted 14/12/2007 at 17:55:12

Uh oh, another one jumps on the kneejerk bandwagon!!

I?ll be remaining firmly reserved on Moyes for a good while yet. I am a long time critic and it will take a good deal more than this to turn me around.

You only need look at the league table to realise a few bad results could easily see us drift into the bottom half.

I am not saying that is going to happen but I have more sense than to be getting carried away at this current run, which has involved facing very few credible sides.

I fear this is the kind of reaction that gives us all the ?knee jerk? tag when Moyes deservedly comes in for criticism.

Calm yourself down lad.
Alan Ryder
4   Posted 14/12/2007 at 18:03:50

Glassful of humble pie? Much respect. Did you use a blender?
Dick Fearon
5   Posted 14/12/2007 at 21:37:19

Tis the season of goodwill and to Blues the world over I wish a merry Christmas and happy New Year.
I particularly wish all the best to a particular whipping post of mine,Leon Osman,
Little Leon has lately caused myself and many others to eat humble pie. Long may it continue.
I guess there is a small army of doom mongers, cynics and critics going into the festive season while carrying the burden of false witness. Now is the time lads to sooth your souls. Let there be a mass recanting of false witness.
In the words of Tiny Tim, ’God Bless Everyone’.

Stuart Duncan
6   Posted 14/12/2007 at 23:18:26

I have to say this and Tony Marsh’s article really make me sick. All Moyes’s supporters, me included, have had to sit here and read all the bile about ’taken us far as he can’, ’go now’ and Moyes out. If you’d had your way we’d have got rid of Moyes 2 years ago and Jewell or Steve Bruce or Allardyce or some no mark manager would have us hovering over the relegation zone.

Better thank Blue Bill for keeping faith. Oh, sorry I forgot you still want him out, don’t you?
Matthew Thompson
7   Posted 14/12/2007 at 23:49:24

david jones, please for god sake cheer the hell up, it is in no way a ’knee jerk’ reaction, we are playing good football and winning games by more than the usual 1 goal, where as the hoofball tactic that moyes used to use was normally fruitless and unattrative, how can you be a moyes critic now were winning for gods bloody sake!!
great article paul, thats exactly how most of us feel
COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roy Coyne
8   Posted 15/12/2007 at 00:09:37

First ,at last we are playing to a standard that is acceptable which is all any of us have asked from Mr Moyes and although I have made complaints about him in the past he must also be congratulated when doing well and proving the doubters among us wrong(me included)how ever Mr Kenwright is different altogether he has misled us on many occasions and I just dont trust him
Gavin Ramejkis
9   Posted 15/12/2007 at 00:20:31

Roy well said about Baloney Bill, he didn’t find DM he had him recommended to him and fell lucky it’s DM that has kept the majority of the fans off the charlatan’s back
David Jones
10   Posted 15/12/2007 at 01:01:26

Matthew, the simple answer to that is that I am not a moron. I didn’t get on Moyes back on the back on the basis of a 10 game run and i’m not going to pretend we are the second coming on the back of a 10 game run, against some very mediocre opposition it has to be said. I look at the league and I see that withing three or 4 games, and we have tough games ahead, we could be bottom half. If that were to happen, and it could, then I would not be a happy camper. It’s called perspective. I am happy right now but I am not stupid, nothing has been achieved. Fans who make apologies like some are now embarrass me, they are clueless. Truly deserving of the tag "Knee-Jerk".
Joe Jennings
11   Posted 15/12/2007 at 01:36:43

David Jones, what?s any of this got to do with you? Your smug, patronising tone is extremely irritating and unnecessary. Perhaps retrospectively you?ll maybe realise your comments were all a little ?knee-jerk? to an innocent post. I wish some people would just cheer the fuck up. Mr Jones, can you remember when we were last unbeaten for 10 games or on two cup runs? When was the last time your were fully satisfied with Everton?

Some people see 10 unbeaten games as being on good-form. Others see it that we are due a loss. Perspective, you call it?

And I suspect, Mr Jones, more people reading your posts than not think you ARE a moron.
Paul Coldock
12   Posted 15/12/2007 at 01:59:18

David Jones. How old are you? Because if you are old enough to have whitnessed the glory days, then i respect your opinion and i can see how any Everton team at the preseant simply can not live up to the glory days of the past. Is this why you do not belive in David Moyes? I am 22 and David Moyes is the best manger i have seen since Joe Royal. The transformation he has brought to the Everton that i have grown up with has been astounding. I have never felt such optimisum about our future for... well, ever!!!

I am only asking you this as i would like to hear you perspective on this. I am interested in your opinion as i can not see (due to only being 22) why people are aganist Moysie. How does he compare to Kendall, and glory days of the 80’s?
Chris Williams
13   Posted 15/12/2007 at 01:12:17

Dave Jones how dare you call people ’clueless’ just for expressing their opinion. It’s not ’apologies’ for christ sake, we are unbeaten in 11 games, in the league cup semi-final and have qualified top of the group in the UEFA cup. I know we haven’t won anything but is this not an achievement?????

You say you won’t get on Moyes’ back after a 10 game run but I’m sure you’ll have a lot to say if we do end up in the bottom half in 3 or 4 games despite only being half way through the season. Surely this would be a ’knee-jerk’ reaction in comparison, but if it doesn’t match with your views then people are clueless?? Comments like this are a disgrace and to be honest I find it embarrassing.

Also in terms of mediocre teams, Chelsea, Pompey and Nuremberg away are not easy games and scoring 7 goals against any premiership team cannot be taken lightly!

You talk about perspective yet to seem to have very little yourself.
Kiern Moran
14   Posted 15/12/2007 at 02:28:36

Chris Williams and Paul Coldrock are absolutely right, we are dong well at the moment, we are moving forward. And in truth we have been moving that way ever since Mr Moyles took over. Everton are going places and if David Jones cant see that then maybe he should get some proper blue tinted glasses?
Derek Thomas
15   Posted 15/12/2007 at 04:40:19

David Jones and Stuart Duncan;

During the poor games, and there were many, we spoke as we found, the evidence of our own eyes, etc etc.

There is no flip flop on a whim, joining the fashionable bandwagon.

It’s called giving credit where it is due and long may it continue.

And we have STILL to beat a team above us.

Mr. Moyes has raised expectations and then failed to fully deliver a number of times, this is as high as he has raised the bar... ever.

If, given the choice, I would prefer to pass our way to 6th pos. rather than huff and puff it

Coincidence or not, don’t let Irvine within 10 miles of the place.

However you add it up..eg 04-05 first half good results second half poor(er) Moyes has yet to put in more than a half a decent season and this one has miles to go before we sleep. So it’s early days yet to be praising Moyes the renaissance man.

If it all turns to custard due to the African Nations Cup and other factors after Christmas, I (we/) won’t be too hard on him...After all ’ It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it ’...

Ahh, Funboy 3 where are you now??
Paul Tran
16   Posted 15/12/2007 at 08:43:07

Absolutely not a ?knee-jerk? reaction. I?m just describing what I see - what I?m seeing is a lot better than before. Unless of course, I?m imagining things and there have been many good performances that I?ve missed.

Stuart - sorry that my honest opinion ?makes you sick?. I?ve never advocated a ?no mark? manager like Jewell, Allardyce or Bruce, so if you want a debate, please debate what I actually say.

After watching our success of 1970 and 1985-87 disintegrate due to the club?s complacency, I will never have blind faith in any manager or chairman. When it?s shite, I?ll say so, when it?s good I?ll say so.
Ste Kenny
17   Posted 15/12/2007 at 09:57:27

This is by far the best everton team since the premier league began. moyes is also the best manager in the past twenty years, lets not forget the "glory" days were 20 years ago. as for perspective what about brett angell, claus thomsen, stuart barlow and loads of others to poor to mention, now we have the likes of arteta, johnson and cahill even stevie wonder can see how far everton have come.
Jonny Evans
18   Posted 15/12/2007 at 18:45:08

If I were to eat a pie, humble or otherwise, I would choose to use a plate and knife and fork. Glasses are best used for liquids, such as water.
Dave Roberts
19   Posted 15/12/2007 at 20:29:07

Even people like David Jones are entitled to their opinion. But what really riles me though is the fact that he describes anybody who is not as cynical or doubting as he is as’ clueless’.

This is arrogance in the extreme. So arrogant in fact that I am tempted to declare a Redshite alert.

The fact is that we, as Evertonians are watching the best football and the best run of results that any of us have seen in decades and if David Jones (assuming he is not a Redshite) cannot take enough pleasure from that to enable him to refrain from calling fellow Evertonians ’clueless’ (just because they are happier than him)and to enjoy the moment, then he really must be a miserable bastard. I would advise his family to make sure that the Paracetemol are well stashed away and to keep any sharp objects out of his reach. He obviously has a problem and I doubt it is restricted to his opinion of Everton Football Club and it’s manager. />

I agree with the Manager he is so negative about when he (DM) said (in so may words) ’Calm down we aint won nowt yet’. But we are a damn sight nearer doing just that than we were before he took charge and that applies whether we win anything or not.
Dave Roberts
20   Posted 15/12/2007 at 21:06:19

I have just thought of something about David Moyes that is worth mentioning although I am sure other Evertonians have already considered it.

Two seasons ago we scored our lowest ever tally of top-flight goals and Moyes said he was going to do something about it. This season, 16 games in, we have scored more goals than we did in the whole of that season.

More recently he declared we needed more craft in midfield and that he was going to do something about it. Has anybody taken note of our midfield recently? !!

If these two examples are not sufficient evidence of effective and astute football management then I don’t know what is.
Dave Roberts
21   Posted 15/12/2007 at 21:14:00

There’s one thing Moyes needs to do though....

SIGN PIENAAR IN JANUARY BEFORE ANYTHING GOES WRONG!

Over to you Davey!
Matthew Thompson
22   Posted 15/12/2007 at 23:37:24

Dave Jones, please!!! Your argument is weak at best, you go on about how we could be very close to the bottom half but in the same way we are almost in the top four. Once again it is not as you say knee-jerk. Just accept the fact that we are a good side and capable of being where we are, it really does amaze me how anyone can critise our manager!!??? Its a 10 game freaking run you should get on the back of it for gods sake.
David Jones
23   Posted 16/12/2007 at 13:08:30

It seems a lot of people confuse realism with negativity. I am not being negative, at all, I am being realistic. I am as happy as the next man with our current run, i’m just not getting carried away. I just find it cringeworthy how knee-jerk many blues are, and they really are. I just call a good win a good win, a good run a good run, a good game from a player a good player. It seems many have this need to write a poxy tabloid journalist article about everything and everything though, applying some profound logic or wild science. We are doing well and I am happy, this is what I want. No humble pie or apologies or anything like that is requird though. When I/others have vriticised it has been justified, right now praise is justified. It’s not rocket science.