Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Will we tire?

With Moyes using the same starting line-up today as he did midweek and not using any subs till late on it looks like we will be sending out a weaker side against Alkmaar on Thursday. I was surprised that Moyes didn't use his bench more because of our grueling campaign. I think that we will field a weaker side against Alkmaar to concentrate on the Utd game.

I am surprised that we havent rotated the squad more this month because of the 11 fixtures. We have the talent i think...
David Moore, Sydney, Australia     Posted 15/12/2007 at 22:20:07

Comments

Stuart Duncan
1   Posted 15/12/2007 at 23:13:21

I reckon it will be almost total change for Alkmaar. Even some Academy players will get a go.
The only risk is that if we lose through fielding a weak team, then we might just lose momentum. Still Moyes has barely put a foot wrong all season.
Keith Glazzard
2   Posted 15/12/2007 at 23:24:04

Dave - I can name you the line-up that played in nearly all of the games in the championship 69/70 season. That was then and this is now, but people still say that players need more matches to be ’match fit’. Injuries are the problem, not playing games. And I’ll be very surprised if DM doesn’t avoid injuries (or cards) at Alkmaar.

Rotation is an invention of stupid money - expensive players who tell the manager they have to play. We haven’t had that problem, and Moyes is very good at keeping his players playing for him. The success that we deserve has been achieved on these terms. Maybe the man with the scarey eyes has turned away players who wouldn’t do it this way?
Mike Reynolds
3   Posted 16/12/2007 at 02:13:19

Oh come on in previous months we have criticised Moyes for his tactics. Today he kept the same side, throughout, wary that we were only a goal up and when he did make a substitution it was to the forward line and it resulted in a goal

If we were three-nil up then yes make subs but at one-nil any changes are fairly risky.

Thursday involves a number of risky decisions but he can make decisions based on how feet players seem in training - a conjecture us fans never see.
Mark Pendleton
4   Posted 16/12/2007 at 09:15:47

I think more often than not Moyes will stick with a winning team until he has to change it, through injury, suspension, lack of form or tiredness. Which is in effect what many criticise the clown accross the park for not doing. 12 games in all competitions unbeaten, winning an incredible 10, looks to be the reward. We know that the above reasons for change will happen, including the African Nations Cup call-ups, so players will get their chances.
John Foat
5   Posted 16/12/2007 at 09:37:13

Why not put out the reserve side? Who cares about the unbeaten record ? lets keep the players fresh for the weekend.
Brian Waring
6   Posted 16/12/2007 at 10:06:43

While you are winning, the adrenalin keeps you going.the problem could be if we were to lose a couple of games on the trot,then I think mentally the players will start to feel it.
James Elworthy
7   Posted 16/12/2007 at 11:02:36

Didn't Shankly win the league once using only 14 players all season.
Rupert Coghlan
8   Posted 16/12/2007 at 11:01:18

The game against AZ is a great chance for us to rest the first team squad from Saturday. While yes, winning is a momentum, if we go to United unprepared and refreshed they will murder us.

I would play-
Wessels, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Valente/Boyle

Pienaar/VDM, Gravesen, Carsley, Cahill

Anichebe AJ

But that’s just what I would do. I think the reality may be that Moyes only rotates 2 or 3 players from Saturdays game.
Dave Southword
9   Posted 16/12/2007 at 13:15:21

Oooh, we’re picking teams! My go:

Howard

Hibbert Jags Lescott Valente

Vidarsson Gravesen McFadden

Johnson Anichebe Vaughan
James Elworthy
10   Posted 16/12/2007 at 16:26:37

Wessels
Hibbert Yobo Jagielka Valente

Pienaar Gravesen Carsley McFadden

Anichebe Johnson

I would keep the African pair in as they are not here in Jan. I would bring Neville on for Carsley after 60 mins to rest him and Vaughan on also at some stage. Perhaps bring on Viddarson for a tiring Gravesen who legs wont last 90 mins.
Keep the Yak, Cahill, Arteta, Lescott and Howard rested.
I think VDM will not travel as Moyes wants shut in Jan if some mug will have him.
Andy Callan
11   Posted 17/12/2007 at 13:17:56

I would play the same team on Thursday and then again on Sunday against the Mancs.

We need to keep people pushing for places and keep the current unbeaten run going.

Take a full strength squad and stuff the Dutch as well I say.
Scott McKinney
12   Posted 18/12/2007 at 00:24:30

This game has little relevance outside of keeping an unbeaten streak alive. My vote goes to resting our top lines and going with:

Wessels

Hibbert - Jagielka - Stubbs - Boyle

Kissock - Gravesen - Vidarsson - Van der Meyde

Jutkiewicz - Vaughan

Lets Moyes get a feel for the reserve squad, gives Gravesen, Stubbs, and Vaughan some field time, and gives the young guys a chance to prove something.

Chris Keightley
13   Posted 19/12/2007 at 09:22:23

Heres my team for Alkmaar: Wessels Boyle Jagielka Lescott Valente Van der Meyde Vidarsson Carsley Gravesen Johnson Anichebe

A good blend of youth and experience giving a couple of youngsters a taste of European football in a dead rubber game, maybe with Rodwell, Jutekiewicz, and JP Kissock, on the bench.