Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Sinster tactics to unsettle Yakubu

BBC Sport gossip column has Yakubu linked with Chelsea. With the African Nations in January Chelsea will not be making an attempt to sign him.... I say Fuck Off The Biassed Media!
Adam Harris, Wirral     Posted 16/12/2007 at 12:50:56

Comments

Dutch Schaffaer
1   Posted 16/12/2007 at 15:28:16

The problems with Yakubu:-

1. Can he sustain this form all season or will he lose interest as he did at Boro?

2. If he does sustain this form for the rest of the season and a big 4 club comes calling do we really think he’ll show any loyalty?

Yakubu is a good goalscorer and proving to be a better player then I gave him credit for but I wouldn’t get too attached.

This is a player who has proven over the years that he scores goals but is prone to losing interest and needs the thrill of a move to energise himself again.

Yakubu has also proven that he’ll go where the money is, loyalty is not something he’s known for.

I’m starting to warm to Yakubu but I’m also aware that he’ll either lose interest and become a passenger or he’ll continue to impress and jump ship the first time a big 4 club shows an interest.
Daniel Brierley
2   Posted 16/12/2007 at 15:57:12

I think its hard to measure a players loyalty. If a big club comes that can offer him a better standard of football, bigger crowds, europe every season, more chance of silverware and more money, how can anybody say no?

I know what I would do, and I love Everton as much as anybody..

The main thing is, that he is playing well, and doing it for us. What happens in the future is anybodys guess.
Mick Mc
3   Posted 16/12/2007 at 15:59:18

Do you include Man city in this big 4 dutch seeing they are 4th, and who is to say that we wont be the big 4. stop bowing down to this media shit about the the so called big 4 and after watching that shite today they don’t deserve to be in the top 10.
Lue Glover
4   Posted 16/12/2007 at 15:55:54

He’s hardly different to the majorty of today’s footballers. If he carries on scoring and playing as he is and stays to the end of the season, then goes to a ’bigger’ club, well so be it. Nothing you or I can do about it.
I never understand all this loyalty stuff. Players are paid to play football and the vast majority of them will go where the wages and prospects are highest.
WE are the only part of a football club that is loyal through thick and thin. Just because we would walk on broken glass to put on the Royal Blue jersey doesnt mean that your average player gives a monkey’s!
It’s a job to them. Yes of course there are those who stay with their team through their career but they are in the minority.
There are players who will shed blood for their team, no matter how long they’ve been there. Look at Pienaar or Cahill as good examples, they really seem passionate about OUR team but if they should move on they will play with equal fervour for their new team. That’s their nature.

Okay, I may be being a bit cynical but let’s face it, the ’once a blue, always a blue’ has to be the biggest turnface for many a long year - we all know the details.

I expect each player to do his best for the team, if he wants to profess his undying love for Everton, then that’s a bonus but I will never, ever be surprised when players move on.

James Elworthy
5   Posted 16/12/2007 at 16:23:22

It looks like Ben Tozer from Swindon will be joining Newcastle instead of us for 1m, he has been on trial and rumoured to be signing.
Dominic Fitzpatrick
6   Posted 16/12/2007 at 17:01:39

I’d feel different and slightly worried if a real ’big’ club was rumoured to be interested, but I’d hardly say Chelsea fit that category.

Jeff Leahey
7   Posted 16/12/2007 at 16:52:04

James, dont be too disappointed about Ben Tozer going to Newcastle,if its true and the lads had a choice, let him settle for the trophy free,crazy spending zone of the north east.
Brendan McLaughlin
8   Posted 16/12/2007 at 16:12:06

Way too harsh on Yakabu, Dutch.

Firstly, where did this ?loses interest? tag come from? Embittered M?boro fans? Lets face it if you played from them not losing interest until mid-season is quite an achievement. I?d also like to think that if we can maintain our current run of form player motivation will take care of itself.

Secondly, you seem to be saying that Yakubu is more money motivated than most. Again where did this come? Surely you could ask the same question of most players!

I can?t remember how but I caught two interviews one by Harry Redknap and one with Avram Grant. They were both asked about Yakubu and each spoke very highly of him, both as a player and as a person.

Finally whats up with you Dutch? I would have put you in the ?blue-tinted spectacles? category but now you?ve gone all Simon Cowell on us.
Ray Friel
9   Posted 16/12/2007 at 17:15:22

This is all because The Sunday Express says so? The Sunday Express? The Sunday Express!!
James Elworthy
10   Posted 16/12/2007 at 17:30:59

Yak was off the bench jumping for joy when AJ scored.
Playing in front of low gates in a quiet atmosphere at Middlesboro is not very motivational compared to Goodison Park and also for that matter our away support, Boro always go into freefall after Xmas too. I also think Moyes gets more out of you than some managers do such as Southgate.

I agree Jeff that Tozer will win nothing in Newcastle maybe he has seen how crap their back 4 is compared to ours.
Jeremy Benson
11   Posted 16/12/2007 at 17:39:01

We’ve managed to keep hold of cahill and arteta, and yobo - despite speculation for the last 3 years (in the case of Jo) that their performances were of such a high level that a bigger club would snatch them from our grip.

Hasnt happened. Truth is, the majority of players who leave everton do so by our own hand, and usually end up playing in the bottom reaches of the premiership.

Players move clubs, thats the way of the world. Thats how we buy them isnt it?
Keith Glazzard
12   Posted 16/12/2007 at 17:43:16

Yakubu looks like a man happy in his work. You would be if you were as successful as him, but there is more to it than that. Moyes and EFC can make good players better, and their self-respect goes up and up. Look at Captn Nev taking the piss on Saturday night - we’d rather be last on MoTD (a wise comment if you ask me).

Go NorthEast young man? I’m quite sure Scott Parker must be happy enough driving around in the vehicle of his choice, but there must have been many times in his last two games when he was thinking ’if only ... ’.
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
13   Posted 16/12/2007 at 17:59:03

Dutch, I too think you are being unfair on the Yak. However, and were he (Yak) to be prone to "losing interest" I would point to two (hitherto unmentioned, additional factors) not present at Boro that "we" have.

ONE we have a manager who clearly knows how to squeeze effort from players and instill "work ethic" (a phrase you constantly hear Neville and Cahill use when interviewed) and,

TWO, at Goodison Yak has two fellow Nigerians in the shape of Joseph and Victor. So, one imagines it’s more homely for him (not to mention another very happy African in the shape of Peanut - see his interview on the BBC News website)

COYBB
David Barks
14   Posted 16/12/2007 at 18:11:10

Oh shut it Dutch. You’ll never admit a mistake will you. All you told everyone was that Yakubu wastes nearly all his opportunities on goal, was lazy, would be a bust. Get over yourself, you are really starting to sound like a pissed off Boro fan now. Yakubu was very honest when he came here, he said he went to Boro because they said they wanted to be in Europe, but they had not fulfilled that promise to him. So he came here because we promised the same thing, but we are in a different world than Boro. He’s playing fantastic so just stop knocking him for Christ’s sake. And the BBC gossip is just that, gossip. There is no way that Moyes would ever consider selling him at this point.
Seamus Murphy
15   Posted 16/12/2007 at 19:11:31

Ridiculous post.. by Dutch, I should say ? not Adam!
David Barks
16   Posted 16/12/2007 at 19:19:15

Isn’t there a rule not allowing a player to play for 3 teams in a single season anyways?
Paul Murphy
17   Posted 16/12/2007 at 19:40:51

Being honest, I didn't think Yak would fit in at Everton. I hadn't seen him play too much and I thought he was all about getting goals. From what I've seen so far, he is a fantastic footballer and is an essential part of our current side. I think he lost interest at Boro because of the fact that they are content to accept they are a Premier League club. They have no ambition to push for top 4, they're willing to acceot what they've got.
Terry Smith
18   Posted 16/12/2007 at 20:07:13

Dont worry about the Yak this is just press talk.It would cost Chelsea £15-20m for them to take him from us.They wont do that.
Dave O'Brien
19   Posted 16/12/2007 at 21:07:38

Tactics designed to unsettle the player. The ?Big Four? don?t like the thought of having to cope with a resurgent Everton. Well I have one thing to say to them ?Bollocks?.
Matt Bone
20   Posted 16/12/2007 at 21:24:52

I agree Dutch. Shit post, based on hearsay (not the equally shit group) and rumours. I may be wrong but I thought that players were unable to move that many times in a season. - although as i say, i may be wrong. More importantly, wouldnt anyone have ?lost interes? at Boro whih the way there season(s) have/has gone. I really dont think the Yak would want to move on so quickly to another club even for double wages.

Also, the BBC report an interest in some spanish striker. I imagine this is more crap. We currently have five decent, YES, FIVE DECENT strikers who dont all get in the squad, why would we be looking out for another when its midfielders and defenders w are lacking if at all.

I would take it all with a pinch of salt.
Ray Mia
21   Posted 16/12/2007 at 22:11:43

Surely it is a sign of how well a player is doing if the media start linking them to a "bigger" club. Also I seem to recall Avram Grant was Yak’s manager at one of the Maccabi teams in Israel.

Personally, I was not convinced by Yak’s signing, but what a way to make me eat my thoughts. The player is on fire, he is almost unplayable at times, strength, pace, good feet, good running, control, finish, good in the air. In short, the guy is the real deal.

Whether he can form a partnership up front with Anichebe, Johnson, McFadden or Vaughn, may well take time. But he seems to be relishing the sole role up front with Cahill lurking and Osman, Pienaar and Arteta darting from the sides/middle.

If Yak moves on, it will be because he has been an overwhelming success. I don’t think it will happen at least to the end of the year. Then again, maybe the influence of a settled Yobo and Anichibe has helped settle the Yak on our pastures

The question is what happens to the midfield when Cahill & Arteta are suspended/injured.
Roy Coyne
22   Posted 17/12/2007 at 01:12:54

The Yak has made a lot of people look silly me included,why would he want to leave? If its for more cash he would be better staying here for a couple of seasons and let his worth grow ensuring a greater pay packet if he moves to one of the big 3 (after yesterdays game how can any one consider putting Liverpool in the same bracket as the others) and as for the Kid if he chooses the barcodes he will get what he deserves as what will he improve playing the big Sam way
Ricardo Humphries
23   Posted 17/12/2007 at 08:37:13

Dutch, why do you always come up with all these shit comments about our players?
We’re on this site to show support and all you do is talk a lot of shit! Get over yourself, and by the way.....crew you dude!
Huw Edwards
24   Posted 17/12/2007 at 08:40:57

Well, it depends on the price. If Yak’s run of form is good enough to get Chelsea to offer some huge sum, maybe we should take the profit, spend it on a top midfielder and promote Anichebe and Vaughan?
Dan Johnson
25   Posted 17/12/2007 at 09:44:57

This rumour really worries me as Chelsea are looking for a striker, Malouda hasn?t quite cut it, Schevchenko is gonna pick up his P45 soon and Drogba wants to go.

So that leaves them quite thin on the ground I wouldnt be surprised to see them snifffing next season.
Ed Casey
26   Posted 17/12/2007 at 10:12:07

Yak has just signed a four year contract that cost the club £11.25m! If Chelsea are serious about buying the player who is in dazzling form, is our top goalscorer, currently the second top scorer in the prem and the second top scorer in prem history then they are going to have to stump up an amount of cash that will make your headspin - which I don’t think will happen. Haven’t the days of mega-bucks spending at Chelsea apparently finished? Stupid rumour nothing else!
Mark Murphy
27   Posted 17/12/2007 at 10:18:41

"I know what I would do, and I love Everton as much as anybody.."

from the tone of your post i guess you mean you would go for the money?

I wouldnt!! I?d play for Everton for half of what any other club offered. I still cant get my head around Rooney leaving for the silverware & the money. It just doesnt wash!
Phil Bellis
28   Posted 17/12/2007 at 10:33:30

Breaking news from Sportingo.com rumours page

J Jonah Jameson (16 / 12 / 2007 20:44)
You missed one.....
...from the Daily Bugle: ’Moyes to test Chelsea resolve over Drogba’ ’Come and play for a team on the up’, says Davey’ The Bugle is more on the ball than the other nationals....every time

(Well, you started it!)
Tom Edwards
29   Posted 17/12/2007 at 12:26:53

Ed Casey, above...

I personally don’t think Yak will go anywhere, just yet, but let us not forget too long ago, when we had the hottest prospect in world football and "no amount of money" was going to prise him away from us. The easy way around that was for Manure to pay us way less than he was worth and give us it in instalments!

Just a thought...........
Chris Masey
30   Posted 17/12/2007 at 12:36:51

Dutch, as usual the negativety oozes from you like the tomato ketchup out of a hamburger.
Ian Ankers
31   Posted 17/12/2007 at 12:36:12

Its been touched upon further up this thread, but ’THE SUNDAY EXPRESS’ started this rumour! They just make things up off the top of there head and in my experience I have found them to be the worst paper for doing this. They seem to come up with whatever they feel like writing and with absolutely no substance to the claims! I’m 100% convinced that there is absolutely no truth in the Chelsea rumour at all! As for the Yak, he’s class, and even if his form does dip, which it probably will at some point, his record suggests that he will still get the goals, which is why he is here. I can’t speak highly enough of him at the mo, he’s class! As for the ’What if a bigger club comes in for him’? Well the way we’re going at the moment, there are few places I think he’d rather be! Obviously if the likes of Barca or Real come knocking, then it would be a worry, but its all what ifs! Us Evertonians are always looking for something new to worry or complain about! The fact is, the Yaks here, he’s on fire, the blues are on the up and all is rosey in the Goodison garden. Oh..and Liverpool lost yesterday :)
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!!
Gary Creaney
32   Posted 17/12/2007 at 18:45:32

Such crap!! All my non-evertonian mates keep saying to me that Arteta is gonna be snapped up by one of the big spanish sides and now Yak is going to Chelsea. I honestly believe that everyone in the current squad are all in it to make Everton the next team big team. They’re all happy. Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Yak, everyone.
On another note about Yakubu, the manner of all his goals is what pleases me most. No 30 yard screamers followed by a baron spell a la Shevchenko. He’s more of a Van Nistelrooy type, right place right time and a finishing touch that can’t be taught.