Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Yobo and Lescott

It seems the vast majority of people on this website wax lyrical about the ability of Joleon Lescott every week, but poor Joseph Yobo seems to get minimal praise. I have been reading the post regarding Moyes' best signings and Joleon has popped up in there with people stating he'll soon be the best. He was signed (albeit we haven't paid the full price yet) for £5mil ish, whereas Yobo was £4.5. Yobo has been excellent for 5 yrs plus and Lescott for less than 18 months.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lescott is excellent and hopefully a future England regular (as Terry and Ferdinand are overated), but I believe Yobo should certainly be mentioned in the same breath.

I am aware he is prone to the odd mistake (not made many this season at all), but I can remember a few from Lescott this season which have been conveniently forgotten or glossed over. The marking for the throw in against Reading which led to a goal for one and the terrible back pass in Europe which led to a one on one and an excellent save by Howard. I'm sure there is another one, but the game escapes me.

I think we have the makings of the best central defensive partnership in the Premier League, but i believe Joseph Yobo is just as good (if not better than Lescott) and should get the kudos he deserves.
Tony Bell, Preston     Posted 18/12/2007 at 11:17:44

Comments

Ah... let's start the great Yobo / Lescott debate!!!
Tom Edwards
1   Posted 18/12/2007 at 08:18:53

We lost Labby not too long ago, but what a superb modern-day Corinthian-in-the-making we have in Joleon Lescott. He will be our Labone for the 21st century ? A fitting replacement for a legend. The lad is pure class and it's frightening (for other teams) to think that his best is still to come. Let's hope he will be in a blue shirt for many years.
Mick Simo
2   Posted 18/12/2007 at 14:03:53

A similar post was on here yesterday? by the way Ossie out for 6 weeks toe broke
Ricardo Humphries
3   Posted 18/12/2007 at 14:05:24

I wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s pure class, just a great consistent defender. Very dodgy at time, but does the job!!
Terry Lloyd
4   Posted 18/12/2007 at 14:13:24

That is a big loss for us, it just goes to show how much of a big player he is for us when he played through on Saturday with an injection, Looks like Tommy will start tomorow then
Dutch Schaffaer
5   Posted 18/12/2007 at 14:25:24

Certainly in his early years Yobo was prone to making big mistakes and on occasion being a bit too casual.

That seems to be behind him now but if you compare Lescott?s early Everton career to Yobo?s then I have Joleon ahead so far.
Dave Reiner
6   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:02:18

I don’t want to split hairs over which of the two is better than the other, but I agree with the spirit of the article, Yobo is an unsung hero for us & a rock solid player. I think Lescott has loads of potential for future growth though, whilst Yobo is just about the finished article now (albeit a highly accomplished one). A superb pairing, worthy of any club in the "top 4" no question.
Dave OBrien
7   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:29:09

Yobo doesn’t get the praise he deserves because he has been at the club for 5 odd years and he has probably reached his peak. Lescott is younger and not been at the club for as long, therefore no-one knows when he will peak thus excitement at another hot prospect come good.
Dan Adams
8   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:27:12

Obviously people will talk more about lescott because of the english connection but argue which is the better signing is beside the point as they both bring many different qualities to the team which complement each others game.
I think we should be talking about how moyes has improved both these players into two of the finest centre backs in the league and they are still improving, moyes has really won me over recently and hope he can keep doing it, COYB’s!
dave trudgeon
9   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:53:59

i’d like to ask
has ANYONE ever beat yobo for pace?
I’ve never seen it, but it never gets mentioned by commentators.
he must be up there with the fastest defenders in the prem
David Shankland
10   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:41:19

Who cares whos better. Most important thing is their partnership is excellent, gets better every game, we hardly lose (this season or last) when they play at centre half together. Both young, long contracts one right footed one left. Them 2 and Howard is some spine. Baines and Neville at full back and that is an excellent back 4. Need cover as i am not sure about jags.
Vincent Lysaght
11   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:15:06

Jags had two excellent games against West Ham and is a very useful stand in at the centre of the back four.
Ian Tunny
12   Posted 19/12/2007 at 00:41:52

Responding to dave, you are right that people seem to underestimate how quick Yobo is but I saw Owen do him for pace in the derby to score and Bellamy at Newcastle when Yobo was sent off for pullung him down and the most recent Wayne Bridge, though Yobo was flat footed and wayne was at full pace but Yobo looked like he was treding water and going backwards.
Brian Donnelly
13   Posted 19/12/2007 at 09:50:42

Yobo ? Faster, better in the air.
Lescott ? Scores a lot more goals, more aware & more intelligent (football wise), more comfortable on the ball.

At the start of the season, I thought they were both below par ? Lescott at fault for the first 3 goals we conceded, Yobo at fault for the 2 goals at Villa. Lately they have both been outstanding.

If we could only keep one, it would be Lescott. He?s getting better all the time and will end up amongst the best of the best.

Nick Xenos
14   Posted 20/12/2007 at 06:46:32

I agree with Vincent that Jags has done a great job at centre back. He has shown great athleticism, positioning and tackling abilities in the last couple of games. Now all we need is a proper right back as I still think that captain Nev is our weak link.