Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Osman out for Six Weeks

Just heard the news that Osman has a broken toe and will be out for six weeks. A bad time for such an injury with so many games coming up. I was just wondering what you all think Moyes should do for the Utd game and beyond.

Personally I would hate to have the change the formation especially at Old Trafford, but we are already light in midfield numbers. Possibly giving faddy another go on the left and moving Pienaar into the middle.

Gravesen obviously isn't fit to play 90 minutes and I really don't want to see Jags and Neville in midfield along with Carsley. So I guess it is that or play 4-4-2 again.
Paul Lenehan, Armagh, Ireland     Posted 18/12/2007 at 11:54:19

Comments

Robin Byrne
1   Posted 18/12/2007 at 11:20:04

Just read on the OS that Ossie is out for up to 6 weeks with a broken toe sustained against West Ham - it says he got the injury in the last 5 minutes of the cup game, which might help explain some of his shots on Saturday. As for who will come in to replace him, I would guess that Moyes might use Faddy in midfield or maybe switch to 4-4-2. Course the other thing he could do is push Neville back into midfield which I think would be a big mistake. Disappointed for us and for Ossie as he's been playing great for us recently and we cant really afford to be losing players over the Christmas period.
Ade Senior
2   Posted 18/12/2007 at 14:08:04

I hope he just pushes Grav into Ossie’s role and see how that works out.

Not a good time to lose another player, makes the need for midfield cover in January more urgent in my view!
Ricardo Humphries
3   Posted 18/12/2007 at 12:20:58

Who do we move to the middle of the park? Why do this have to happen before a big game! (FUCK!!!)
Mark Perry
4   Posted 18/12/2007 at 14:31:16

Could be worse, we knew that someone was going to be injured at some point, just a pitty its Ozzy. Respect to him though for playing on with it on Saturday ? he is a True Blue and shows the team spirit we have and the RS can only dream about!

As for solutions, push Faddy on the left and move Pinnaar to replace Ozzy, he has played there for his last team. Or Gravo in a straight swap.

I think that DM has been saving AJ and Gravo for the ACN to step in for Pinnaar and the Yak, but will have to use Gravo a bit sooner than anticipated.

We need to strengthen midfield in Jan, Vogel will be good cover for Carsley, I see in the Express that we are bidding for Downing and have been linked with Taylor of Pompy ? either of those would be great.

I think we will realise just how important Ozzy is in our midfield now he's out for a bit.

Get better soon Ozzy!!!
Stefan Tosev
5   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:00:28

Both Downing and Taylor are overrated players at stupid prices, if you look at the European market you could find players like Arteta and Pienaar at about £2.5M yet in England they are asking £8M for Downing ? crazy!
Ean Palese
6   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:09:05

...and up steps - wait who is that? Is that Andy van der Meyde?
Nick Entwsitle
7   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:09:06

Well at least he’ll have his first Christmas in about 7 years...
We’ve got Grav, De Silva and VDM, Vidarsson and McFadden who can all be considered as replacement. Though some will be considered more than others...
Mark Perry
8   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:11:41

Downing is overated at £8M but Taylor at £2.5M would be good business. Maybe VDM... hope he gets a game.
Ben Howard
9   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:15:07

I’m pleading with all Blues, please don’t turn this thread into one about the merits (or lack of) of VDM... again....
Nick Entwistle
10   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:17:35

The Merits of VDM: Discus...
Tony Williams
11   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:18:13

Well said Ben, we all know than Xmas is not exactly the best time to be thinking of Shandy Andy, what with all the egg nog flying about.
Ben Howard
12   Posted 18/12/2007 at 15:27:30

Ha ha... I did a yard of ale race with VDM last night and he’s really misunderstood. I was slaughtered but by the end of the night you couldn’t tell he’d had a drop. That’s prefessionalism for you right there...
Carl Phillips
13   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:00:47

From what i’ve seen of Gravesen this season he is but a shadow of his former self.I have no doubt that Moyes will seek to renew his faith in Neville as a midfielder and if he does so I can see ’the glory days’rapidly coming to an end.
No matter,we can all blame injuries and the ANC instead of the manager’s abject failure to find cover for midfield!
Ben Howard
14   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:15:28

I think that?s a tad harsh Carl.
There?s been a distinct air of optimism recently - don?t spoil it. Let?s wait and see shall we
Scott McKinney
15   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:51:31

I’ve seen a vague rumour about Yohann Mollo being of interest for EFC and some of the big fish. Didn’t know much about him but found this link. He’s young, but appears to have some really nice skills.

Could be one for the future. He definately seems composed with the ball, if not cocky at times.
Dave Wilson
16   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:57:12

When we played the Mancs at GP earlier this season, it was pretty stale but as the game went on Scholes and Carrick started to really out class the Jag + Nev, we can only win this if we play quality midfied players, leave them two in the back four - their proper positions.
What about dropping Tim into Ossies place and putting vaughany in to Tims position ?
ben howard
17   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:12:11

I heard Mollo’s name mooted some time back but hadn’t seen any youutube. We all know that even Beattie and Koldrup can be made to look good on those videos but he does have very quick feet - even when they slowed some of the skills down I couldn’t make out what he’d done! Far from the finished product it seems but he reminds me of Manky Ronaldo. I did hear the gooners were after him too though and with the French Connection I doubt we’d tempt him.
Seamus Murphy
18   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:58:07

I wpuld slot Gravesen into Ossie’s position, this would cause the minimal upset necessary to the team. I wouldnt dream of starting to move everyone around.
Straight swap, one for one.
Peter Pridgeon
19   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:55:29

I hate to start the MF debate again but here is a link that may open the door for the return of the prodigal son.

Kieran fitzgerald
20   Posted 18/12/2007 at 19:40:40

So Ozzie has a cracked bone in his foot that will keep him out for four to six weeks. Well in my own mind I have to wonder why the coaching staff don?t see things like this coming. Lets see, a player?s in serious pain. Do we take him off because he?s obviously injured, or do we give him a pain killing injection and then get him to play the most of a match?

It ain?t rocket science lads. Serious number of games over a short period of time, games that could make or break our season, lets keep injuries and suspensions to a minimum. It should be that simple. Obviously not though.
Colin Smith
21   Posted 18/12/2007 at 21:05:03

A straight swap with Gravesen seems the most obvious choice, although McFadden could also slot in as well (let?s hope the decision making is on song if he does play). Thursday?s game will probably give some clues as both will probably start. Personally I wouldn?t tinker with formation for the Man U game, leave Cahill where he is best, behind the main striker. Having said that I think both Anichebe & Vaughan could chase the arse off Ferdinand & Vidic, given the opportunity.
Steve Taylor
22   Posted 18/12/2007 at 21:21:27

The logical decision would be a straight swap with Tommy G - but I can’t help feeling Tommy’s not flavour of the month with DM & I have the an awful feeling that he’ll lump Neville back into CM, with Hibbert coming in at RB......please Lord nooooooooo
Dick Fearon
23   Posted 18/12/2007 at 22:44:44

The merits of VDM are, er’, ???
Dave Roberts
24   Posted 18/12/2007 at 21:55:07

Ok, so Ossie will be a big loss for the next few weeks. But no need to panic! ? we do have Tommy Gravesen to fill in and what Tommy lacks he can make up for in aggression (and some good footy) which, despite how well we are playing, we still lack sometimes. We still have Mikkey and Peanut and with Tommy in there we can still do a decent job on anybody. I don't know whether anybody WAS actually panicking.... but I did when I first heard the news!
Mark Stone
25   Posted 19/12/2007 at 10:11:20

Dave Wilson - if James Vaughan is fit then there’s no debate - that’s exactly what Moyes does!
Brian Donnelly
26   Posted 19/12/2007 at 10:14:34

It?s a huge problem. If possible we need to stick with 5 in midfield ? gets the best out of Carsley & Cahill. Carsley particularly is lacking in a 4 man midfield.

Gravesen looks completely unfit, because of his knee problems and I suspect we will be lucky to get 45 minutes out of him, never mind 90.

I think Moyes will resort to either McFadden or Neville in midfield. Either way, this lack of cover in midfield was always going to hit us at some time. Just have to hope that we get some new quality midfielders in January.

El-ray Jackson
27   Posted 19/12/2007 at 11:58:41

There are two ways in which Moyes can address this situation. He can either play Gravesen in the middle and the other option would be to move Pienaar into the centre and play VdM on the wing. Because both of them are lacking in fitness i would give them 45min each, in their respective positions.