Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Downing

What The Fuck! Where do these threads come from? We need central midfield cover not wingers. Now that Ossie has crocked his foot (boot-manufacturers, this is becoming silly!), we need central players more than ever.

I've nothing against Downing but he is over-rated and at £8M over-priced! Who to loan/buy in January, answers on a postcard please...
Adam  Carey, Berks     Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:26:38

Comments

Mark Hill
1   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:49:48

To answer this question we would need to know how much we have to spend to discover where we are shopping...

I doubt very much we will take anyone from anyone from the premier league. The championship i don’t think there are many outstanding candidates, if any....
I would suggest therefore that prospective players would come from abroad, Vogel is touted as signing in Jan on a free. The kiddie from Alkmaar looked fairly decent skillful, a handfull and full of beans, though he did look a little lightweight though his name escapes me. I would suggest him perhaps.....but in the longterm, we could do with a young defensive medfielder to be brought in to be groomed as a successor to Carsley....who though??
Tom Rowe
2   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:57:58

I think Arse-Shavin from Zenit was mooted after the zenit game, if he’s who you’re referrring to. He looked ok, but rated at 10mil apparently. Similar run maker to Osman with a midas touch. Looked a class passer of the ball.
Mark Perry
3   Posted 18/12/2007 at 16:56:38

Vogel is 30 but thats about right for a dfencive midfielder - and hes free. That would allow us to have 2 quality centre mids, which we need.

As for cover for Ozzy et al I would suggest Taylor of Pompy if a deal can be done on loan with an option but I douby Pompy will go for that.

Maybe DM has another ace up his sleeve I hope so. Just not for the love of all that is holy nev or jag in the middle - I still have nightmares about batman and robin from earlier on in the season.
Mark Creevy
4   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:02:14

Has that ginger bloke at Chelsea been getting a look in? (Sidwell? sp) Surely they’ve got a big enough squad to let a couple leave for at least a months loan?
Chris Keightley
5   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:08:00

I have said on here a few times Giles Barnes would be a good addition moyes would bring out the best of him derby may let him go for around 3 million that would be a good long term sollution to carsley and centre midfield
Ade Senior
6   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:04:47

Would love to see Arshavin come, he could play in Cahill’s or Osman’s role and would generate the needed push for places and cover in those areas.

I think the fact it looks like Vogel is coming on a free might release the funds to be spent there rather than on Appiah or similar for competition for Carsley.
Keith Glazzard
7   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:21:05

Get well pdq Leon - you’re a true blue and we need you.

Alkmaar game - we were all saying he’d play an ’unusual’ line-up, keeping the first string for Sunday. Let’s see what he does now - it is at least a chance to try things out.
David Siggers
8   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:23:58

Chris Keightley;Giles Barnes usually plays wide.
David London
9   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:26:53

Giles Barnes,Steve Sidwell and Vogel would be great.I think we need three more.
Anthony Newell
10   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:36:20

Personally think Downing/Barnes would be an excellent acquisition and is just the sort of player we should be looking at. A really good quality winger who can put in decent crosses/service to our forward/s will add an extra string to our attacking bow. I did hope that AvDM would fulfill this role bto no avail. I also think Sidwell is an excellent shout (and one I never thought of) - could become a possibility due to the managerial change there and the fact that he is just on the sidelines. Whichever way you look at it EFC need to strengthen in midfield come Jan if we are to build on this good progress.
Gavin Ramejkis
11   Posted 18/12/2007 at 17:59:37

Sidwell wouldn’t happen for two reasons and in order of why:

1. His Mrs is a WAG wannabe and wouldn’t leave London to come up North and live in a cave (what most of that lot thinks is North of Watford)

2. Sidwell gets paid more than we could offer just to stay at home and practice on his games console or take his Mrs shopping
Mick Mac
12   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:06:06

We need a Scott parker in the middle of the park. He would be a great addition. I know he went to Newcastle for the pund notes but he may repent and agree to join us. Arshavin would be a wonderful buy to replace Ossie as you said a very creative player. Lot of rumours surrounding Sissoko around iun the press. Would be a good addition and Moyes could teach him how to pass the ball.
Connor Rohrer
13   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:12:33

At the moment we probably need a wide player more than a central midfielder. We have the likes of Cahill, Carsley, Gravesen, Neville, Jagielka, Da Silva, Arteta, Pienaar and Osman who are all capable of filling the central role but we realistically only have Pienaar, Osman and Arteta who play in wide positions. Obviously there’s Van der Meyde but his Everton career is over so there’s no point in him being mentioned. With Osman now injured and Pienaar leaving for the African nations Arteta is our only wide option so it is an area that definatly needs boosting. A central midfielder would be nice if we can get both in.

The players mentioned are not players I rate highly and some are just completely unrealistic. Downing is average and I wish people would understand this. For me a winger needs to be quick and technically able but Downing is average in both these departments. All he does is get the ball in the box and his crossing is fairly accurate but who’s he actually going to hit. We dont really have the striker who is going to get onto crosses so it would be worthless. Rather get someone from abroad with as they are cheaper and generally better.
Michael Ferguson
14   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:23:49

Isn’t Tom Huddlestone unsettled at Tottenham. He certainly seems to fit the bill of a young, talented defensive midfielder!
Jackie Kells
15   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:21:00

Diarra said at the weekend he wants to leave Arsenal.Ithink he?d be a good investment,he?s only 21.havent seen to much of him this season tho.
Vincent Lysaght
16   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:22:20

Both Parker and Sissoko turned EFC down - why should we do them any favours now that the Blues are challenging for the honours? Downing is garbage, an absolute cart horse. The two to get are Vogel (cover for Carsley) and Arshavin (creative, attacking) who looked class fo Zenit.
Joe McParland
17   Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:33:01

Dont want Downing, hes gash. Diarra wants to leave arsenal because he cant get agame so no use as squad player. Arshavin would be the one for me because of his versatility, some thing that the Moysiah likes in players. If we could get him and Vogel we would have good cover all over the park.
El-ray Jackson
18   Posted 18/12/2007 at 19:05:36

Vogul and Arshavin would be great additions. Arshavin can either play in the Cahill or Osman role, giving the team more flexibility and interchangeable positions. Scott parker is a good defensive player, but injury prone and I wouldn’t take him any way. I think Downing is the wrong answer, he is an average player at best. In January i think Moyes should go for Vogul and Arshavin and come summer time he should look for excellent winger, such as Jaquine or Quaresma. The latter is unhappy at Valencia or is it Benfica
Iain Thomson
19   Posted 18/12/2007 at 19:20:42

The thought of spending an Elano type fee on a player as limited as Downing is thoroughly depressing.
Alexander Marsh
20   Posted 18/12/2007 at 19:29:13

Vogel looks good for the short-term on a free transfer, as Ossie is now out...I like Huddlestone, for a reasonable price, he could be an excellent player to replace Carsley, and he will add some size to the squad. But I think we do need another winger, VdM will probably never play, but I agree with most, Downing is only average and overpriced...He has got hardly any pace for a winger...
Flingelhoff Jimstock
21   Posted 18/12/2007 at 19:38:10

We don’t need any new midfielders. We could move Neville back into central midfield and put Hibbert at right back. I make myself laugh sometimes.
Mick Mac
22   Posted 18/12/2007 at 20:38:05

Cant see Arshavin coming because he will still represent Zenit in the eufa cup so that isn a goer.
Iain Thomson
23   Posted 18/12/2007 at 21:00:39

Arshavin will be on great money where he is and Zenit will be in next seasons champions league. I cant see him coming to a non champions league team who dont pay crazy wages. Would be nice though.
James Elworthy
24   Posted 18/12/2007 at 21:52:08

I think Arshavin will be on a very low wage as Russian clubs still pay peanuts to players
Steve Jones
25   Posted 18/12/2007 at 22:41:32

Zenit have money through heavy investment - they pay relatively well.
The player I likes was the captain Tymoschuk, the number 10. Tall athletic and technically very good could cover for Carsley and he also dropped to centre half as cover in the game and did well.

I would try for him and Arshavin with Osman’s injury - perhaps even on loan as the Russian season is over !
Anthony Newell
26   Posted 18/12/2007 at 23:39:35

Intrigued as to why Downing is regarded as so shite now. What’s happened to him since he broke into the England side? Has he been on the pies or just gone downhill due to being at Boro for too long? I agree that 8 mill is a comedy transfer value
John Ludvigsen
27   Posted 19/12/2007 at 00:41:05

Scott Brown from Celtic would be ideal in Everton?s central midfield as a long=term replacement for Carsley... very good player.
Ste Birkett
28   Posted 19/12/2007 at 01:08:26

Downing had one decent season when he first broke in at Boro, as I recall, then has never achieved those same heights last year or this.

He’s not quick, as some have already said, and seems like defenders have pretty much figured out he has a sweet left peg and that’s about it, so just show him inside. He did put in a nice cross for Tuncay on Saturday but it seems to be the odd flash, not any consistency. Definitely nowhere near £8m......not even $8m with a good exchange rate.

I’d echo the Appiah hope (don’t know the groundsman’s mother’s milkman, so can’t make it ’official’), as he’s strong, great passer, and a class above what we already have. Most of the other names mentioned are a step back in my opinion, even Manny.
Carlos Alberto Camacho
29   Posted 19/12/2007 at 04:32:07

I would like to put forth my countryman, Gilberto of Arsenal. He is on the bench now with that Nicolas Cage (Flaming?) getting to start, and looking sharp. He is creative, but also is good as a defensive MF.

My only other advice would be to hand some cash to Arteta and tell him to go back to Spain for a few days, find a buddy and bring him back. lol. Better approach than the ONE scout that EFC employs who covers the entire world.
El-ray Jackson
30   Posted 19/12/2007 at 12:15:23

8mil on Downing is a waste of money. Moyes can spend that much on Mollo He looks like a great young prospect. Reminds me of C. Ronaldo.
El-ray Jackson
31   Posted 19/12/2007 at 12:19:09

There are two ways in which Moyes can address this situation. He can either play Gravesen in the middle and the other option would be to move Pienaar into the centre and play VdM on the wing. Because both of them are lacking in fitness i would give them 45min each, in their respective position
Andy Callan
32   Posted 19/12/2007 at 12:32:59

Downing? You must be jokin’. He is last him.

We do need a winger though; there must be someone out there.

I wish I was a scout for Everton - what a job that would be eh?