Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Confidence

Whatever about the players being confident at the moment, it's an absolute joy to be an Everton fan at the moment. The reason I say this is that it's done wonders for my nerves every time I sit down to watch a match or listen to commentary.

Gone are the days when I would sweat blood and tears. Gone are the days when I would be afraid of walking away from the TV or radio for fear of jinxing things. Right now, I'm expecting things to go our way, I'm expecting to get a positive result. Jez, right now I'm not growing ulcers being an Everton fan.

And you know what, right now it's bloody great!
Kieran Fitzgerald, Dublin     Posted 18/12/2007 at 18:42:23

Comments

Lorcan Walsh
1   Posted 18/12/2007 at 21:41:17

Do you not miss the ulcers? or being afraid of jinking the result my chcking the result by phone instead of TV or web...?

It’ll always be part and parcel of of being one of us - all Evertonians I know have their own routines...

Remember - no-one expected the Spanish Armada - and no matter how well it is going for us, expect, RS, plague, pestilence, injuries...
Mick Mac
2   Posted 18/12/2007 at 22:40:16

Could be us and three London clubs in the semis...
Anthony Newell
3   Posted 18/12/2007 at 23:21:37

Have to say that when we went 1-0 down against West Ham in the cup I strangely did not get that usual horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when you know it’s all over. Things have definitely changed for the better since that sickening Derby game but as an Evertonian who has been bred on false dawns I know there is plenty more to do. I would love to see this progress augmented with some quality acquisitions so we can make a full and consistent transition to the next level
Patty Beesley
4   Posted 19/12/2007 at 09:12:33

Glad to know other Evertonians are as mad as I am and have their special rituals whilst the team is playing.

I have to hold my "Little Book of Everton" all through the game and believe me, going to the loo whilst holding the book in one hand, ain?t easy!! but I won?t let go of it until the 90 minutes are up. I also have a little toffee bear wearing an Everton shirt called Bluey and have to rub his tummy three times before the game and chatter away to him throughout - what a loon I must be!! and oh yes, I have to wear my special blue knickers whenever we are playing - thank goodness we have had no back to back games!!!

What other rituals do you guys follow?
Michael Wood
5   Posted 19/12/2007 at 10:16:55

My 8 and a half year old has long been a blue through & through. He actually asked me on Saturday if I thought we could still win the league! But knowing my 7 year old daughter would take some convincing to follow Everton and indeed football, I thought it wise to wait for an appropriate time to introduce her to the school of science. Well when better than now, she has her ticket for the Oldham game; let’s hope for a 5 - 0 result, a banging Goodison, and for it not to be too cold!!
Amanda Huddleston
6   Posted 19/12/2007 at 10:29:40

I have to go for a wee in the same toilet in the upper gwladys!

I went twice last season for the game against shite and arsenal - its a lucky loo!
Dean Johnson
7   Posted 19/12/2007 at 12:26:21

I can’t wear my Everton shirt to a match or to watch on tv, we always lose.

I actually stopped going to games to because we always lost, oh and it was too bloody expensive!
Andy Callan
8   Posted 19/12/2007 at 12:29:04

Lets not get ahead of ourselves lads eh?

While I agree that the feeling is very nice and when we take a lead, I don’t think automatically that we are gunna throw it all away anyway. However we are a very long shot from winning the league; probably about £50m away...!!!!

Having said that, I would take a cup victory once every so often until Sir Paul comes along and splashes his cash at Goodison...!!!!!!!

COYB
ian gulliford
9   Posted 19/12/2007 at 13:25:03

i won’t wear the shirt if we are on tv,but will wear it to the ground! we havent lost when i’ve been watching everton live...so far...so good!
Tony Williams
10   Posted 19/12/2007 at 13:46:21

I usually just sacrifice virgins and wear their skins just before a European tie but if it is a league game I just always wear the same watch!!!!
Carl Hamlet
11   Posted 19/12/2007 at 14:32:52

couldnt agree more mate,
lol i know that feeling from the past about jinxing gamse hahaha