Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Holding Midfielder

Just a thought on the midfield and in particular a holding midfielder. Don't get me wrong: Carsley is doing fantastic again this season....but he is getting on a bit.

I watched the Arsenal - Blackburn game last night and one player for me stood out. Maybe because I was looking for a holding midfielder. I don't know. Lassana Diarra, what a player. He can tackle. Get stuck in, protects the back four and more inportantly finds the right shirt everytime he passes. It's reported in the press he's unhappy at lack of starts at the Arsenal.... I think he'd be perfect. Plus he ticks all the Moyes boxes for age and maybe he's within our budget too
John Hughes, Wirral     Posted 19/12/2007 at 10:31:57

Comments

Mike Oliver
1   Posted 19/12/2007 at 10:51:43

Small club: Is it me or did we take more fans to West Ham than Blackburn managed to get at home against Arsenal last night?
Phil Griffin
2   Posted 19/12/2007 at 12:49:57

I said the same thing yesterday re Diarra. Diaby is also meant to be unhappy, I’d take the pair of them as they can both play in numerous positions.

Think if they do become abvailable there may be a bit of competition for their signatures though!
Graham Nolan
3   Posted 19/12/2007 at 13:47:00

I have said it on this site before, but for me I think Abou Diaby is the man we should go for. He is a class act and is bigger in stature than most of our cuurent midfielders.
He is good on the ball and gets stuck in. I think a loan deal in January with a view to a permanent signing in the summer would be the wayt to go for this class midfielder.
Mick Mac
4   Posted 19/12/2007 at 16:35:22

My my how much money have we got?? Never really seen Diarra but that Diaby looks a good player. Strong on the Ball and knows where the net is...
Connor Rohrer
5   Posted 19/12/2007 at 16:06:27

Diaby is the better player but Diarra id definatly one I would take and the more realistic option of the two. According to Arsenal fans I know Diaby is being groomed for the other central midfield place alongside Fabregas but the sudden form of Flamini has pushed his down the pecking order. Maybe a loan but I doubt we’ll buy him. He’s highly rated and there would be tough competition for his signature.

Diarra is a quality little player. Not Arsenal class but definatly good enough for us. He’s decent on the ball, decent passing range, excellent positioning, good pace and strong for a little fella. Obviously he’s not the biggest but neither is Carsley the man he would be replacing. He was under Makelele’s wing at Chesea so I think that would have done him good also.

I think we might have to bring two midfielders in January. Maybe a buy and a loan. A central midfielder and a wide player would be good to boost the options. On a creative front we aso need a player depending on how Gravesen performs. If Tommy shows he can compete then he is a good stop gap but if not we need to get someone creative. Maybe someone like Koumas or more unlikely Fernandes.
Steve Ashton
6   Posted 19/12/2007 at 16:54:51

Connor,
If he’s not Arsenal class then he’s not our class either! But I do think he would be a good acquisition.

No thanks to Koumas (not good enough)and Downing (too expensive). I think we should try Huddleston and or Pedersen neither starting regularly for Spuds and Blackburn both would fit well.
Dave Trudgeon
7   Posted 19/12/2007 at 17:49:10

steve im sure pederson has played most games for blackburn this season, he?s just really off form.
on another note diaby and diarra looked fantastic and i?d love them at everton
if we could get them as a package for 6mil that would be great business, but i think diarra has to stay at arsenal this season cos you can?t play for 3 clubs in one season can you?
Connor Rohrer
8   Posted 19/12/2007 at 17:53:44

Steve, Arsenal are better than us so it whilst he isn’t good enough for them he is good enough for us.

Koumas is better than both Huddlestone and Pedersen in my opinion. Huddlestone is a decent prospect but he has alot of flaws. He’s slow, overweight, lazy and doesn’t put his foot in as much as he should for a big guy. His passing range is his one major plus but even then he’s not what I would call a defensive midfielder but more of a deep lying play maker.

Pedersen isn’t in Blackburn’s team because he is one dimensional. Despite having an excellent shot and being excellent at set pieces he doesn’t have alot to his game. He’s not particularly quick or skillful and this is a must in a good winger. Much rather have Bentley who is a much better all round midfielder. Decent payer but over rated.
David Barks
9   Posted 19/12/2007 at 22:49:48

I think we might see a move for Carrick. Hargreaves and Anderson are favored in the middle, then with Scholes coming back Carrick will be even further back in the pecking order. I wouldn’t be too upset to see him come our way.
Rick Cole
10   Posted 20/12/2007 at 10:12:52

I think carrick is a pipe dream, but your point about man u depth is a solid one, how about Darren Fletcher, he can play in the centre of the park, and could really do well at everton in my opinion
James Elworthy
11   Posted 20/12/2007 at 12:39:25

Everton and Tottenham are being linked with Valencia midfielder David Albelda 30 year old holding midfielder.
Albelda has been told he can leave Valencia in January and El Mundo Deportivo says the club captain favours a move away from Spain.

Everton, Spurs and also Juventus are being mentioned as possible destinations.
joe mcparland
12   Posted 20/12/2007 at 13:25:31

After watching sissoko last night , i hope he never comes across from the dark side, he was gash.