Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Andy Gray ? Is this person for real ?

I am writing this post with a sense of disbelief. Just finished reading this article on skysports.com by Andy Gray titled: "Half-Time Report" ? supposedly a reflection of the Premier League at the half-way mark of the season.

Only 2 teams did not find a mention in his article - Aston Villa, and guess who ?

Even Derby, Sunderland, etc got a mention, albeit in the "relegation battle". No mention of Yakubu in the "best signing", no mention of Tim Cahill's spectacular last gasp goal against Chelsea in "Goal of the Season".

That this person is mad was confirmed by this comment about the referees:

"I think they've been far too inconsistent this season. I'm not saying that just to put referees down because there are some very good ones in the Premier League - like Mark Clattenburg who is generally good."

What ??? !!!

Can anybody shed light on why this guy is so rabidly anti-Everton?
Ajay Gopal, Bangalore, India     Posted 20/12/2007 at 16:44:50

Comments

Santosh Benjamin
1   Posted 20/12/2007 at 19:58:35

This man makes me want to vomit.His blatant support for the RS on live TV and his repeated abuse of Everton on TV and in his bloody articles sickens me.
He calls himself a pundit? That term is reserved for learned people and he is far from it.Clattenberg a good ref? just like Grobelaar was an honest goalkeeper!!!
I hate Andy Gray..and he shouldnt be considered for any club honors and dinners anymore until he apologises on air to Evertonians!
Peter Pickles
2   Posted 20/12/2007 at 20:48:05

Grow up. He’s a Villa and Rangers fan. And Everton. He was brilliant for us.
Paul Hardcastle
3   Posted 20/12/2007 at 20:52:17

So he was brilliant for us then... and he talks shite now. One is writ firm in the record books, an imutable fact. Surely the other has high relevance in today’s pundit ridden football world. In a sense they are disconnected but the one makes the other all the more unpaletable.
joe mcparland
4   Posted 20/12/2007 at 21:47:33

In the 1st paragraph he states that the league looks as he expected with the exeption of Spurs. That must mean he expected us to be top 6 again.
Dave Roberts
5   Posted 20/12/2007 at 21:57:52

Why have you all been posting about this shite?
Why weren’t you watching the match?
peter hall
6   Posted 20/12/2007 at 21:58:23

I think you’re missing something here guys. Andy Gray would have put his head through a brick wall for us and evrybody (almost) knows it. The Cup Winners Cuo he half-volleyed a goal with his head from the penalty spot in the semi, if memory serves me. The RS? He’s just being diplomatic to keep his big money job at Sky. There’s lots of RS supporters out there - just not round here.

He likes Wolves and Villa but writes a local column (or did) here on Everton. The guy’s a BLUE but he just can’t advertise it.

About 12 yrs ago he was offered the job of manging Everton but knew he wasn’t up to it.

It’s great that you are supporting Everton and we love you for it, but ye need to know y’r history sometimes.

Grest performance and result tonight. COYB!!
Peter Pickles
7   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:03:15

I would imagine they dont get Channel 5 in Bangalore..good point though.

Andy Gray has always talked shite, as indeed have most TV pundits. About most teams. If you want a decent analysis of Everton’s performance ask a fellow Blue.

There.
Dave Lynch
8   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:05:56

Well said Peter Hall.
The man is a legend in my eyes.
Brendan George
9   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:05:25

Don’t pay any attention to Andy Gray or the so-called football expert in the tabloids or on Sky Sports. Everton should go about their business and winning games. Soon people will have no choice but take notice. I couldn’t a damn on what they think anyway. I’m too busy enjoying Everton at the moment.
Dave Roberts
10   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:19:51

Santosh,

I was going to reply but Brendan has already said it all! Just sit back and relax. This is the best I have seen in 20 years. If Andy gray can’t see it...or won’t admit he sees it...who gives a toss!
Dave Roberts
11   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:23:15

Sorry,

For Santosh read Ajay as well.
Micky Norman
12   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:17:57

Andy Gray was offered the manager’s job and decided to stay with Sky who are still his paymasters. it’s psychological overcompenstation that causes him to talk bollocks or ignore us. Similarly whe he gushes on the RS. Human nature, even superheroes have it, unless of course they’re superhuman
Blue Swede
13   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:28:56

If I remember correctly noboy mntioned us in ´84 either. The rest as they say is history,which AG is a big part of and he feels it too.
Tony Williams
14   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:44:51

I think that when he is on the telly he is supposed to be a neutral and that means he will always suck up to the "big 4", in private he is a true Blue.

In a dinner in the year we finished fourth, he was taking the piss out of the redshite, until the begging fookers were allowed back in the CL.

He said that the redshite fans would be watching their team on the telly..........when they were playing on their PS2’s.

He has to pander to the money making teams to get the interviews and such, that said he can be an irritating prick at times when a bigger team is playing a "smaller" team. The exact same dive could happen, yet with possibly Forsell it will be a "blantant dive", however if it happens to Ronaldo it will be "the slightest of touches to knock him off balance"

Winds me up it does
Jack Johnson
15   Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:56:14

Peter Hall you summed it up mate. And Tony - you sum up everything that’s great about forums by getting wound up during your own post! Brilliant!

Come on you blue boys!!!
Phil Roberts
16   Posted 20/12/2007 at 23:16:44

Peter Hall - getting old mate and the memory is going.

Andy Gray’s half-volley header was in a 2-1 away win at Notts County in the 6th round of the FA cup in 1984.

The other famous one was his 3rd goal in the home win over Vitesse Arnham in the Cup Winners Cup. Andy when he dived in for a far post header as the centre half tried to kick it clear. In his post match interview his comment on seeing the goal was "Some people call that brave, I call it stupid"

Yes a legend - and presonally I don’t care if we don’t get mentioned too much, as long as we keep winning
James Martin
17   Posted 21/12/2007 at 00:29:17

Phil, I think Gray’s goal in the CWC was against Fortuna Sittard
Mark Pendleton
18   Posted 21/12/2007 at 01:18:32

I’m firmly with Peter Hall on this one. Andy Gray has a job where he’s paid to be impartial. When Andy Gray shouted "you beauty" when Steven Gerrard blasted that infamous shot in I, despite having the most intense hatred of all things Redshite, thought exactly the same. I think he says it as it is and whenever questioned on anything Everton does exactly the same. The guy gets involved with anything Everton he’s asked to as far as i’m aware and has never come out with anything other than positive comment when talking about his Everton days. The guy is a legend in my view and it makes me proud that he played for us and shared and helped create our success. To others that don’t think so please grow up.
tony finn
19   Posted 21/12/2007 at 08:26:57

mark P - well said . Some people expect him to appear on SKY with a Everton shirt on shouting liverpool are shite. With that gerrard goal he was the co-commentator employed to convey everything bout the match to the viewers and thats probably what was the general consensus in the stadium that is what important and brilliant goal. Just cos he doesnt say we are brilliant all the time, doesnt mean he has forgotten all his connections with this club. I know we are generally ignored in a good light by the media, but some people are paranoid about it now, and take it much to far,going digging to compare column inches and timing highlights clips against other clubs - grow up.
Chris Masey
20   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:18:58

I read it too, its a fucking joke. To think that guy actually played for us and he played for villa. He is so obsessed with the moneymen of the top four, he forgot to consider the clubs he’d actually played for. Forget him, he’s a pundit that took the easy way, because he hasn’t got the bottle for management.
Amit Vithlani
21   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:18:40

I don’t give a rat’s arse if we don’t get a mention in the media. Whether we are first or last on Match of the Day. Whether all the national papers are condenscending towards us, or whether Andy Gray is biased for or against us. In fact, the more they ignore us and/or treat us as an irritation disturbing the "natural" order of the big 4, the more it makes me happy. That is because this is what we do best - whether creeping up the table un-noticed (this season), defying the pundits by finishing in the top 4 (2005), or adopting a siege mentality and winning the FA Cup against all odds (1994), we thrive on adversity.
will mitchell
22   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:37:42

He?s a fucking kopite and he should be officially excommunicated from Everton Football Club with immediate effect.
Neil McKinney
23   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:02:14

I don’t mind being overlooked at the moment. Certainly not doing our form any harm and it stops players from getting complacent.

Andy Gray has got on my nerves a few times whilst watching Sky, but there aren’t many pundits who haven’t! He’s still a hero! Whether he supports us or not he is still a massive part of our history.

Good thread though with some funny responses. AG would do well to sully the mood of an Evertonian today!!

COYB!!
Emil Mathias
24   Posted 21/12/2007 at 11:41:52

well it seems in this article he is kinder to us. Maybe he just forgot to mention us in the sky one, as he was too busy spouting about the top 4, as is policy for anything on sky!

Still thing I would like him more if he was not a pundit, he comes out with a lot of bull week in week out!
Chris Stone
25   Posted 21/12/2007 at 11:37:12

Just to correct Amit, 1995 for the FA Cup Final win. Good comment though! Delighted with Everton’s form currently, would be great if a trophy (or two!) could happen also. But at least it’s great progress we are making now, and that’s the main thing.
Shez
26   Posted 21/12/2007 at 12:44:04

Fair point Ajay. The article is a joke but I think we have become accustomed to being ignored.

People can say he is a legend all they want but he is a real let down. If a neutral read and heard his comments he would arrive at the conclusion that he is indeed a Liverpool fan rather than an ex-Evertonian.

Who cares though eh? The media love him and he’s making thousands if not millions off the back of it all.

Everton are well and truly back and there’s sod all Andy Gray or anyone else can do about it.

COYB!
David Marsden
27   Posted 21/12/2007 at 12:58:42

I like what Neville said about no one noticing us and the fact that "the team" actually quite enjoy that. Well I fuckin’ agree. Everton is for Evertionians. We know we are good that?s enough for me; the important people. I like it when no one notices us.
I remember back in 85 when we were absolutely fantastic, it was said we were a team of no stars!!

As for Andy Gray he was a god!! He would have put his head anywhere. Remember he’s the one who made the comment about how great the everton fans are so sucking in the 2nd (i think) against Bayern. As for his work on sky, he’s meant to be controversial, it a way of getting interest and views. The fact of this post means its working!
Brendan McLaughlin
28   Posted 22/12/2007 at 22:49:24

I never really got this adulation of Andy Gray. Fair enough he never let Everton down but he only came to prominence when Adrian Heath was badly injured & at that time Heath and Sharp were on the verge of becomming the most prolific goalscoring partnership English football had seen for a very long time. It’s enough for me that the truly great Howard Kendall choose to let him go so soon after we became champions.

As for the crap about Gray & the job of Everton manager, he only used that as leverage to bump up his Sky TV salary.