Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Disappointed in Ratters

We've been over this before about players going down to 'earn' a penalty but tonight's commentary annoyed me. Early on, James McFadden battled his way into the box determined to get the cross in.

To paraphrase poorly... 'I just thought with him being jostled there he should have gone down and got something'.

This live from a respected captain from our finest era, Kevin Ratcliffe. I know it's the "professional" thing to do, but if he's being fouled the ref will say so, if he goes down, it's a dive. It's cheating.
Nick Entwistle, London     Posted 20/12/2007 at 22:26:17

Comments

Stefan Tosev
1   Posted 21/12/2007 at 00:42:11

Nick why is this cheating, if McFadden went to the ground it could have been penalty, there was contact he has choosen to stay on his feet butthis is not cheating, its not diving. You are too sensitive on this issue
Mark Pendleton
2   Posted 21/12/2007 at 01:16:11

I have to admit that despite holding Ratters in the highest esteem his commentary has disappointed me in all of our UEFA games to date. Not for the above comment but just from a number of comments in general. Having said that, Channel 5 coverage is piss poor so i’m hardly surprised.
Dave Wilson
3   Posted 21/12/2007 at 06:30:51

Nick
as a player, the Rat is a legend, as a comentator . . . .he isnt
It was his "whatever it takes" attitude that took us to the most successful period in our history.
Its not cheating, but to break into the top four you either stretch the rules ala Gerrard, Ronaldo, Drogba, or you have them stretched on you, and become an also ran
its euphemistically called professionalism
Einar L Olsen
4   Posted 21/12/2007 at 07:23:02

I too noticed this.... Strange, because last time I heard him he critisized Arteta for going down easily.... Well at least he is consisted!!!

When the other commentator mentioned that it was probably cold down on the pitch he says: "No, it is 18 degrees, they have got undersoil heating".

Also his comment on how the ball became bounicer in the cold made me raise my eyebrows, surely its the other way around.
Andy Callan
5   Posted 21/12/2007 at 08:14:18

The Rat was obviously drunk again last night.

He can’t say Jag’s name properly at all.....!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha - legend.
Nick Entwistle
6   Posted 21/12/2007 at 08:36:52

Stefan.

Of course it ’could’ have been a penalty because the ref would have made the decision that McFadden hitting the deck is because the action was caused by the opposition player, i.e a foul, not because he decided to collapse on his own which if he followed Ratters advice he would have done. And that ’s the same as a dive.
And Stefan, by your thinking, is it fair to say also, that as it was all a bit 50-50, if the defender went down he could claim the same injustice? Has to be, right?

I am over sensitive about this, and bloody right too!
rob jones
7   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:15:27

I agree with Mark, five have done a piss poor job of this especially as they have a kopite as one of the pundits, ’’tottenham will win it’’’ my arse they will. great game though hope we can go on and get to the final. Does anyone know where the final will be held?
James Elworthy
8   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:15:32

I have watched all the previous UEFA cup games in the pub so last night was the first time I actually stayed in and watched it. So I was able to hear the commentary and the comments which you are unable to do so in the alehouse.
I agree Channel 5 is poor commentary and if they are responsible for the camera angles that was bad too, particularly when their shot flashed past the post which we couldnt see because the camera didnt show the whole goal.
I thought Ratcliffe was a dull co-commentator and though we would expect him to be biased he spent more time getting digs in at certain players, particularly Gravesen and his lack of tracking back to help out.
The bloke who presented it who has 5 stars tattooed on his wrist to signify the RS 5 European Cups was awful, the Mrs said he was a DJ on Radio 1, thank god I never listen to that station.
As for John Barnes the fat smug biased RS should not be allowed near a tv station nor an Everton game he is one of the poorest analysers going only Carlton Palmer ranks as bad. He ranks alongside Garth Crooks as nauseating.
I thought Pat Nevin was ok and the only decent bloke they had.
David Graves
9   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:36:59

I think we are being too critical of Channel 5 - at least they are affording us some live coverage. Last night the kept saying what great entertainment Everton have beenand how ell we have been playing. Agree with the coments about John Barnes though and Kevin Ratcliffe - he’s a miserable get
Paul Lenehan
10   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:42:12

The Rat can do and say what he likes! Legend! Brilliant show last night looking forward to doing utd on Sunday.
Neil Alecock
11   Posted 21/12/2007 at 09:41:43

I totally with Nick. He isnt being sensitive or naive he is being honest and that is what I want to see from our players. McFadden could have gone down but he would never have got a penalty for that in a million years and could have got booked, looked daft and called his integrity into question. I hate it when great players like Ronaldo dive so I dont want our players to do it at any cost. When I heard the Rat says that last night I immediately disagreed then realised why he didnt last as a manager!
danny latham
12   Posted 21/12/2007 at 10:00:36

i for one would rather hear bad commentary praising the work everton are continuing to do than listen to match of the day bleating on about how everton are lucky to be in this position.
i wanted to smash my nice new tv everytime those jumped up pundits were saying "we had overachieved"
bring on a drunk ratcliffe and mr murray and his very unusual way of reporting a game i find it refreshing.
good win lads, and great ball from vic
Craig Walker
13   Posted 21/12/2007 at 10:18:15

I think Channel 5 is worth watching for hearing Ratters call Jagielka ’Judge-Gel-Ca’ and for him constantly referring to Moyes as Dave Moyes.

Channel 5’s coverage is like a throwback to ITVs The Match in the 80s.

I like Dave Woods as a commentator though. I think he’s a refereshing change from hearing Sky’s Tyler and Parry constantly sucking up to the self proclaimed big 4.

I agree though that Colin Murray the host is an annoying kopshite.
Simon Moore
14   Posted 21/12/2007 at 10:22:31

Dave - to add to your comment about the Rat’s legendry status, his abilities as a manager were also found wanting as he guided Chester to the conference and repeated the trick with Shrewsbury Town - both solid div 3 (or four or two, whatever it was called then) teams before he worked his magic...

Great defender/captain though...
Barry Ward
15   Posted 21/12/2007 at 10:39:30

Has anyone else noticed the number of times Kevin Ratcliffe uses the words ’A Little Bit’ as in "Everton are defending a little bit too deep" etc ? I noticed this in one of the earlier matches and once you pick up on something like this you tend to listen out for it. I’m sure he must say it at least 40 times per match. He was a great player and captain but very poor as a co-commentator.
matt green
16   Posted 21/12/2007 at 11:45:20

Rob, The final is at the City of Manchester stadium on Wednesday May 14. Although I think that maybe a little presumptious just yet, its certainly more likley that it was September
Peter Getkahn
17   Posted 21/12/2007 at 12:43:09

I reckon the Channel 5 coverage is great. Colin Murray is a great presenter, and I think he?s really done well to make the transition from Radio. I agree the style is a bit old fashioned, but the coverage doesn?t take itself seriously and is a refreshing change from SKY?s OTT broadcasting style. I know this is controversial, but I don?t think it?s biased. ITV are always constantly banging on about Man UTD and Liverpool, so I?m glad that Channel 5 is having a real crack at challenging the BBC?s unbiased coverage.
Jonathan Bradley
18   Posted 21/12/2007 at 13:45:37

Ratcliffe is alright - he is better than Gray is, and far better than the inane Lawrenson. His criticism of Gravesen was justified as well, though the rumours that he had totally lost it were seemingly wide of the mark, but compared to the rest of the midfield he looked all at sea sometimes.

What was far more depressing was Sky Sports News last night - Nev was doing the summarizing and did not look a well person at all.
Andy Callan
19   Posted 21/12/2007 at 08:02:48

Did anyone take as much pleasure as me last night watching that horrible little imp Colin Murray squirm around on his chair after we stuffed the Dutch...!!!!!!! Totally priceless that was.

Why can't we have a Toffee presenting these programs instead of a horrible dirty redshite from another country? Beglin did the commentary on the game against the Russians as well apparently.

What is goin' on; mind you The Rat isn't the answer is he.....?!?!?!?!? COYB

Mark Creevy
20   Posted 21/12/2007 at 14:28:31

Five should get Graham Beecroft to commentate on our matches. He’s a bit of a tool, but he’s funny to listen to and gets right into the game. Used to like listening to him on Radio City (and their version of All Together Now).

His wikipedia entry made me laugh too.