Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Moyes's Man Management (McFadden)

Moyes has made some great signings and some bad signings, depending on your own opinion. To me Moyes has only made good singings but I have boiled down to man management. With some players Moyes has had the knack of getting the best out of them. From the previously frustrated Arteta in Spain, to the struggling Pienaar in Germany, the Championship players who have made the step up with ease such as Cahil and Lescott and also the home grown talent such as Osman who has made great strides recently.

His greatest achivement of all was getting the best out of an average/poor side that had finish 17th then lost its 2 best players and the next season managed to compete with the top 4, and indeed finished fourth ahead of the European Champions.

However, other signings have not been so successful and perhaps under-achieved under Moyes's management which has bemused and frustrated me to say the least. For example Beattie will probably be considered a bad signing by many but in my opinion was potentially a good signing. This was a good player and still is who was a top goal scorer and still is, who was on the brink of breaking into the England squad.

Moyes failed to get the best out of him and now he is top goalscorer with 12 goals in the Championship. Davies, arguably Wales' best player, and right now one of Fulham's most important players but could not settle at Everton. VDM, a fantastic Dutch international but has flopped comprehensively. Kroldrup, this was a player rated higher in his home country than Daniel Agger who has been fantastic for the shite. Others too have failed to impress that could and should have had bright and successful futures and perhaps still will just not with Everton.

Perhaps Moyes's biggest failing or the player failed most by Moyes is McFadden. He has been unable to get the best out of him. It's a great shame as he showed such promise in his early games and for Scotland but was dropped for no reason, sustained injuries, suffered loss of form and loss of confidence and has never recovered. It is ironic as the same thing happened to Arteta in Spain; they didn't appreciate him so he was forced to move on for more regular football and now look at him, 'the best little Spaniard we know' They should have remembered the old saying: form is temporary, class is permanent.

I don't think McFadden will succeed at Everton and is in need of a fresh start. I think he will have to move on to realise his potential and for regular football himself and will probably replicate Beattie at Sheffield at the very least and do great. And who knows he might even become the best little Scot we know.
Ian Tunny, Liverpool     Posted 22/12/2007 at 02:25:40

Comments

Alan Carke
1   Posted 22/12/2007 at 06:52:35

McFadden just isn’t that good. I keep hoping, similarly to when Beattie played for us, that he would come good because he shows some excellent pieces of skill. The last minute goal against Charlton last season is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Hi problem is, he has absolutely no right boot. Continental defenders didn’t realise this when he was playing for Scotland so they always gave him time to come onto his left. The room he had to score that goal against France is unbelievable. In the premier league, defenders are wise to him - push him on to his right foot and he won’t do you any harm. I think players can raise their games every now and again but to be a top player you have to perform consistently and Faddy just doesn’t do this. I don’t think any manager is capable of changing him.
Kieran Fitzgerald
2   Posted 22/12/2007 at 08:17:03

The guy is way down in the pecking order, both as a striker and as a midfielder. He?s not going to get enough of a game to justify not cashing in on him next month. It is a pity because without getting a run of games, we?ll never know how good he could have been.
Dean Johnson
3   Posted 22/12/2007 at 08:39:51

I think we have the definition of the word enigma.

On his day, Faddy can be the best you will ever see, some of his goals, not just for the jocks but for us too, have been nothing short of genius.

I thought he looked lively on thursday, always moving the ball, always in control, always looking to attack. If he had pace and consistency, he would be world class I feel, because apart from Mikky, he is the most skillful in the team.

Maybe that?s why Moyes has perservered with him, he does things which others simply don?t think of
Tony Waring
4   Posted 22/12/2007 at 09:47:59

Yes Alan you’re right. It’s all a question of feet! It never ceases to amaze me that players in all clubs are paid asttronomical wages but very, very few can use both feet. In any match you care to watch you’ll see otherwise good footballers lose opportunities because they have to switch the ball to their preferred foot.Remember Kevin Ratcliffe ? Great left foot but useless with his right peg.
Ajay Gopal
5   Posted 22/12/2007 at 10:06:16

Well said & well analysed, Ian. My views exactly. I just don’t believe that the goals that Faddy has scored were fluke. To me it indicates great ability that is crying out for recognition & appreciation, that has sadly not come his way in Everton. Maybe in his own Interest, it is best that he moved on.
Brian Donnelly
6   Posted 22/12/2007 at 10:53:54

Dropped for no reason? Why do you think he?s 5th choice ? even behind 2 youngsters?

He?s had plenty of opportunities and failed to deliver. Admittedly, he scores the odd wonder goal, but it?s not enough. My overriding impression is him sitting on the ground looking at the ref, having been out-muscled yet again.

His 2 main problems are:
- Lack of speed.
- Doesn?t know when to release the ball.

If we get an offer of £4m for him, then cash-in.

Tom Martin
7   Posted 22/12/2007 at 11:22:07

I really think if McFadden moves on, he can become a fantastic player. He’s not had a decent run at Everton, because frankly I think he’s just not good enough for us. He definitely has class-loads of it- but the lack of consistency is not good enough.
I think he can be a real revelation at a club not quite as good as us, a place where he can get regular first team football and one that suits his style.
Have to disagree with Dean, I thought he was very poor the other day, he didn’t look interested at all. He was quiet and whenever he got it he was unwilling to play a simple pass, for example there was an opportunity on the edge of the box where the ball bobbled out to him, he had his back to goal and two players around him, instead of playing the ball back to someone -can’t remember who- running in who could have had a shot, he tried to do a ’Marseille Turn’ and ended up losing it.
I think he knows his days at Goodison are limited -by his body language when he plays- and I can see him leaving in January.
Connor Rohrer
8   Posted 22/12/2007 at 11:39:42

The players mentioned all have different reasons for failing and this is why:

Andy Van der Meyde: Now people need to get this strait Van der Meyde was not a fantastic Dutch international. He won 18 caps and scored 1 goal which is nothing special and even when he was playing for Holland the jury was still out on him. If he was so good then why hasn’t he done anything since he left Ajax? You fail to mention that he also failed in Italy at Inter Milan. There where many talented Dutch players who where thought of more than Andy like Van Persie, Robben, Van der Vaart etc. Even Pienaar was rated higher than VDM at Ajax and in my opinion Pienaar is the more talented player of the two.

There’s no doubting VDM has talent but he’s not what everyone makes him out to be and alot of what has gone wrong at Everton is down to himself and not Moyes.

Per Kroldrup: Per was highly rated in Denmark so it is a mystery to me how he left so early. Maybe it was down to his style which didn’t suit the English game. I watched him in a reserve game earlier in the season and he looked uncomfortable and a number of occasions playing against a reserve striker. He was supposedly scared of heading the ball which is also worrying for someone who stands at 6ft 4. His game against Villa finally proved to the fans that he just wasn’t a Premiership player. He showed some excellent distribution but struggled against Villa’s long ball game. His style was obviously not the English way. I’m glad we got rid anyway because a year later we got Joleon Lescott who is one of the best I have seen in ages.

James McFadden: I just dont think he’s good enough to start week in week out. He’s a useful player to have and I wouldn’t mind keeping him as a bit part player but I doubt very much that he will be a starter under David Moyes. People say he needs a run in the team but for me you have to atleast show something to guarantee a run in the team. Look at James Vaughan last season in every game he played he played to a good level. He scored goals in some and also made life hell for defenders when he didn’t score.

Faddy’s problem is he has one good game one bad. Against Boro earlier in the season he was fantastic. He didn’t score but his hold up play, link up play and work rate was brilliant. The next game he was taken off at half time for what was a disgraceful performance. He couldn’t trap the ball, he kept on giving it away and he didn’t unsettle the defenders once. He made Anichebe his strike partner look the more mature player.

Mcfadden is not as good as people think. A few skills and long range shots does not make a good player. His touch is poor, he has no pace and his decision making is awful. Like I’ve said in the past I like his as he gives his all but we have 4 more effective strikers in Johnson, Yakubu, Anichebe and Vaughan. If he proves me wrong I’ll be made up but I dont see it happening.
James Byrne
9   Posted 22/12/2007 at 12:05:51

I just can’t take to McFadden; his first touch and passing for me have always been awful! I agree he has something in his ability but we will never see it. Best option here for all involved is to sell him on and give him a chance elsewhere.

As for Andy VDM, is it true he has had some real problems with his kids; I think I read somewhere that one of his children who was born here was very ill. I heard recently his two kids are quite ill? Not great to have those problems and trying to focus on football!

Ste Riley
10   Posted 22/12/2007 at 13:00:32

Change of subject here folks IF or when we beat BranFlakes and or if Fiorentina get through will the first leg be away? anyone any clues?
ian tunny
11   Posted 22/12/2007 at 14:25:29

Brian
Im not talking about him justifying his place now, others are ahead of him on merit but in his early games he was outstanding even outshinning Rooney but was dropped for kilbane for no reason before Vic and Vaughn even came on the scene. His strength was running at people, beating people for fun, then he was dropped had a dip in form, and when the crowd was expecting him to carry on where he left off, it didnt happen he lost his confidence and now looks scared to try an beat a man incase he gets tackled an the crowd get on his back again. If he doesnt believe he can beat his man he never will, thats why he does it for Scotland and not us and probably why he has to move on. And Connor i saw VDM a couple of times for Holland and he was fantastic, granted one of those games was against poor Gary Naysmith who was torn to shreds and embarrassed.
John Houghton
12   Posted 22/12/2007 at 15:33:36

Ste Riley: We will be away first on both occasions.
John Andrews
13   Posted 22/12/2007 at 15:13:30

I have been fairly scathing on here lately regarding McFadden but I do believe it is with good reason.
I honestly believe that McFadden has been given more than enough chances including 29 games in, I believe, the season before last.
He has no pace and not the first idea when to release the ball for the benefit of the team.
I can only agree with Brian in that I shall always remember McFadden sitting on the ground as yet another move breaks down.
Michael Noakes
14   Posted 22/12/2007 at 17:14:42

I can’t believe what I’m reading on this site. What other manager has achieved anything like as much as Moyes, given the limited resources available?

I agree that at times we are not as fluent as we Blues would like. But who is? We have seen all the top clubs be made to look very ordinary at times, and they have budgets we cannot even dream of. We have also seen some breathtaking play from the Blues.

When I first went to Goodison Park Liverpool were in Division 2. I have seen great players and great sides, and while we are not yet at the level of the early sixties, or of course of the great Kendall side, when we were the best side in Europe, we are not far off it and slowly getting there against the financial odds up against clubs in the UK and Europe
who think nothing of spending £20 million-plus on players to strengthen their squads.

If anything Moyes has over-achieved with the resources available to him, so get off his back, and give him your backing.

Brendan McLaughlin
15   Posted 22/12/2007 at 18:42:36

I don’t accept all this crap about McFadden being great for Scotland because they have faith in him and we don’t. If you are good enough, your talent will shine through no matter who you play against or in front of. The reality is that in terms of the current Scotland leam McFadden is one of their better players and the one they often rely on to provide that special moment. Within Everton, however, there are very many better players and McFaddens limitations are clearly exposed.
James Elworthy
16   Posted 22/12/2007 at 19:24:00

If he eventually goes I wouldnt mind Stephen Hunt coming in. He scores goals gets stuck in, seems to give 100% and is the type of player the Goodison fans would take too.
Ian Tunny
17   Posted 22/12/2007 at 19:32:31

Michael
I am not getting on Moyes?s back... in fact I think im his biggest fan. I've always backed and defended him even at low point I wouldnt swap him for anyone including Fergusen and Wenger and if you read the 1st couple of paragraphs you will see I praise him a lot for what he has achieved. In fact I go as far as to say he hasn't made a bad signing, I just try to fairly give my view on his achievements and failures. However, I was just bewildered by the failings of some potentially very good signings that could potentialy have had as much influence as Cahil and Arteta.
James Elworthy
18   Posted 22/12/2007 at 20:08:18

I think every manager thinks a signing he makes will be a good one but many dont turn out that way.
Beattie, Davies and Kroldrup are examples of that.
I think Moyes can get more out of players than most managers and a player like Downing is a player Moyes could get more from than Southgate or McLaren. Thats why I wouldnt be upset if he signed him.
Moyes proved he wouldnt have any divas or big ego’s when he arrived like Blomquist found out when he was subbed Gazza did a runner on day one

You live or die by your signings Sanchez just got the chop despite making 14 new signings. You buy Championship standard players thats where you end up in the case of Fulham.

Brian Donnelly
19   Posted 22/12/2007 at 20:51:21

Ian
You could be right, maybe Mcfadden was originally dropped for no reason ? it?s so long ago I can?t remember. I do remember his P/L debut against a feeble Leeds when he was outstanding. Admittedly he has lost the confidence he originally had, but is this because he now realises he is not as good as he thought he was?
Andy Ellams
20   Posted 22/12/2007 at 22:02:52

Stephen Hunt would be a decent signing. He gets stuck in and gets goals, he would probably only be a squad player at Everton but a good one and a sign of how far the club has come to have a young player like this in the squad. Add one of Vogel and Albelda or maybe even both and we will make huge strides. Still need another centre half and right back as well though.
Paul Tinsley
21   Posted 22/12/2007 at 22:25:48

Sorry Ian, have a word lad! This might have been said ibefore in previous comments i hope (to pissed to read) but how can you compare Beattie scoring goals in the Championship to the Premiership!!! he?s crap fullstop!
Clyde McPhatter
22   Posted 22/12/2007 at 22:37:19

Here’ something good on this thread...Beattie is mentioned in the lead blog...and then never mentioned again! Is there anyone on this board who would want him back right now? He has 12 goals in the Championship? WEll, good for him. Maybe they cotton to fat, slow, non hard working strikers one level down.

Can we get a result in the morning?
Stuart Duncan
23   Posted 22/12/2007 at 22:40:43

This weekend, we have 4 fit midfielders plus Gravesen (past it), Neville, McFadden. After that it’s VdM, Bjarni and Jack Rodwell.

Oh, and he’s scored 4 goals from open play against Arteta’s 1 with far, far less minutes on the field.

If I was Moyes, I would definitely keep him. Who’s he going to get for £4m that’s any good in the January window?
Ian Tunny
24   Posted 23/12/2007 at 00:08:29

Paul Tinsley you are right so what if Beattie can score in the championship its the premiere league that counts but what you must have forgotten is he has done it in the premiereship, before he came to everton at a poor southampton which led to his England call up.