Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Transfer target

We all know that we have to get a couple of midfielders in by january. the one that fits the bill for me is David Bentley of Blackburn. He ticks all of the right boxes that Moyesy wants, young, works hard, can play in a number of positions and very skillfull. Sell McFadden for 4m to Celtic put another 3m and we'll get our man.
Colin  Malone, wirral     Posted 23/12/2007 at 19:55:39

Comments

Jack Daou
1   Posted 24/12/2007 at 03:23:48

i dont think bentley the man that DM is after, hes a good player but i think we need someone like Fernandes, i know he snubbed us but hes not settled in spain and wants to come back, the only thing is that he worried that the fans wont like him anymore. Some other names ive been hearin r names like de rossi from roma and diego from werder
Jimmy Crack
2   Posted 24/12/2007 at 05:43:17

it’s nice to dream...
Ricardo Humphries
3   Posted 24/12/2007 at 05:49:02

Our ambitions are big, let’s start splashing for big players! I would like to see Quaresmo at Goodison
Nick Xenos
4   Posted 24/12/2007 at 06:59:35

1. Right back - we need one as Nev and Hibbo don’t cut it.
2. Creative midfielder - we need more depth in that midfield area as we are now competing on 4 fronts. Injuries are inevitable. Fernandes fits the bill
3. Defensive midfielder - Cars is getting on, turns 34 in Feb. Need some cover/competition for this rock as I don’t know what we will do if he gets injured. Albelda fits the bill.
jimmy hoffa
5   Posted 24/12/2007 at 08:22:38

DM needs to swallow his pride and bring back Scott Parker.

With Scott in full gear, things’ll get really fiesty for us. I am sure the prospect of playing sudden-death UEFA cup will entice the dude to join us.

Plus, West Ham is not even in contention of reaching the final seven.

I am very sure a lot of talented midfielder can’t wait to join us.

Peter Toney
6   Posted 24/12/2007 at 08:55:08

I think James Milner would be a great purchase. Excellent skills on the ball and can beat his man. He also is a fine crosser of the ball.
If not id love to see fernandes back in the blue shirt i think hes gonna be a world class player
Danny Militwtich
7   Posted 24/12/2007 at 08:55:14

What is this with this thread, has everyone had too much sherry leading to this silly roundabout of names?

David Bentley: Not an Everton type of player. Stuck well and truly up his own arse, imagine if he was victim to squad rotatiion=he would piss his knickers and do one back to the Capital.

Quaresma : Decent shout but he is destined for a top European side with Champions league football a regular thing.

Fernandes: Had his chance, stuck two fingers up to Everton when he had the opportunity to be a hero. A good player undoubtedly, in fact was my favorite while he was here but I would not welcome him back.

Parker : On silly money at West Ham. Would be a good signing but over paid, and what does he do for Westham that Carsley and Cahill don’t? You want guts, see Carsley, you want goals see Cahill.

We don’t need these established players of reputation, we need young and hungry team players , as Wenger has shown at Arsenal.
Nelly Blythe
8   Posted 24/12/2007 at 09:25:53

Quaresma...are you havin a laff...Did you see his performance at Anfield a couple of weeks ago ???.....Tempermental poser...rather have Quasemodo...wouldn?t touch him with a shitty stick....and the good news is neither will Moyes
Fosu Gharban
9   Posted 24/12/2007 at 09:16:34

Nick Zenos - Why should we waste our money on a RB when Nevillle is more than capable of filling that position for the next few years?

We are far more desparate in Midfield! 2 midfielders injured and we had to change our winning 4-5-1 formation to 4-4-2. That says it all for me.

Bentley was awesome for Blackburn yesterday, but has a bad attitude and is inconsistent - wouldn’t want him at Everton.

QUeresmo I would love but reckon he’ll want regular Champions League football. Liked the look of Arshavin although don’t know much about his tempremant - same goes for Barnes at Derby who at 19 looks a very accomplished (and big for Moyes) midfielder. Is the French defensive midfielder that wants to leave Arsenal and good player? Is it Diarra?

I agree with the general opinion that we need a defensive and central creative midfielder, but if Moyes only plans one signing I hope he priortoses the latter.
jimmy hoffa
10   Posted 24/12/2007 at 09:11:58

Jimmy, you’re dead wrong on Parker right there.

I think he is hungry and for a chance to play European football he might opt for everton for the same or slightly less pay.

and I think he will make a great team player plus he can create chances and break up defences
petet toney
11   Posted 24/12/2007 at 10:21:47

Come on Danny what do you think about my Milner shout then?
jimmy hoffa
12   Posted 24/12/2007 at 10:34:46

I still think Parker is our best option for the January target.

If he’s on our boat, he will make things happen
Colin Garland
13   Posted 24/12/2007 at 10:36:38

Kevin Nolan. Why not?

Now he is back in his preferred midfield position he is playing well under Megson, so imagine how better he could be under Moysey. He is a good combative midfielder who chips in with a few goals a season and would fit well into the Everton set up. He is affordable and I am sure we could tempt him away from Bolton. Besides he is also a Liverpool lad (OK I know he is a red nose, but remember so was Peter Reid when we bought him from Bolton).
And OK, he is not one of those fancy foriegn players everybody is touting, but if it helps maybe you could call him El Nolano.

Manny Fernandes had his chances and yes he was a great player while at Goodison, but when it came to it, he showed his true colours and revealed his priorities - ’His back pocket’.
Chris Harris
14   Posted 24/12/2007 at 10:48:38

James Milner is the single most worst suggestion for an Everton player I have ever seen in any form of media.

Not only is he totally unsuitable for us, but he simply isn’t good enough. He looks average in an average under-performing Newcastle side.

Worst suggestion, ever.
Nick Xenos
15   Posted 24/12/2007 at 10:54:57

Fosu, Neville is a good squad player at best. Experience counts for nothing when you can’t pass a ball. If Everton FC are to get anywhere then we need quality in every position. The right side of defence is simply one position that I think Moyesy needs to address.
Dave Jeanrenaud
16   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:07:23

Robbie Savage, Paul Dickov and Michael Gray.
paul mousley
17   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:01:04

You know I’m not sure we ’re going to get anyone. I’m mistified on how we found the money for the purchases this season anyway. How many times have we heard Moysey say we will looking to get players in Jan? We go from rock bottom poor to spending a small fortune.What i do know is that Moysey tends to buy his playing staff at the begining of the season and is generally quite shrewed when in the market place. Expect a loan but dont bank on it... Please tell me I am wrong...
Connor Rohrer
18   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:14:35

He wouldn’t join us. He’s having an excellent season at Blackburn and Mark Hughes just wouldn’t let him go. Saying that he’s also English and we’d have to pay way over the odds to buy him whereas if we went for an equally talented foreign player we’d get them for alot cheaper.

There’s no doubting he’s a good player but its just to unrealistic. I like talking about future targets but only of there realistic players who have been linked with us and Bentley isn’t one of these players.
Peter Toney
19   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:17:57

dear oh dear chris someone got out of the wrong side of bed!
I must say that you are completley wrong about Milner. This player stands out a mile from the rest in the barcodes squad and is still under 21. He can play both sides delivers a wicked cross and his energy is second to noneas well he is great at tracking back and puttibng a good shift in.
So to say he would not fit in is rubbish
colin malone
20   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:30:09

Danny, mostly agree. Fernandes was a luxury player, never put a full shift in for me. Regarding Bentley, yes stuck up he,s own arse but we got the manager to sort that one ask the yak. Parker type player not needed yet. Still Bentley for me.Anyone know what position this Kissock lad plays?
Jonny
21   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:43:24

Koumas, Huddlestone, Bentley. If we bought these three then we would really start going places.
Henrik Nygren
22   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:51:07

Huddlestone & Fernandes ! £6 & loan
Chris Harris
23   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:41:32

I am in work with absolutely nothing to do. I am watching ’When Sport Goes Wrong’ or some similar sounding nonsense on an obscure Sky channel.

Milner seems to be an unintelligent footballer whenever I’ve seen him. Looking at his statistics this season, he has played 1,400 minutes of football (23hrs+) and scored just two goals. He has just one assist to his name. Now although you could argue the Newcastle strike force isn’t great - surely more wicked passes would have resulted in goals from his team mates?

Considering he has played some part in every game for Newcastle, the majority of which he has played the full 90 mins, out of the 26 goals scored, he has played a direct part in only three occasions.

Whenever I see him he is just average - in the same category as Gary Speed, Simon Davies, Danny Murphy, Hamann, Kilbane etc etc etc
Connor Rohrer
24   Posted 24/12/2007 at 11:56:09

Coin Malone, I just dont buy that "Fernandes was a luxury player" shit. He was a classy player and if you can’t admit that your just being bitter.

I’ll agree he didn’t work his socks off and he was a bit laid back at times but what you have got to remember is he wasn’t fully fit. Fernandes admitted this himself as did Moyes. He hadn’t has a pre-season at either Benfica or Portsmouth, he picked up an injury which kept him out for a while and he couldn’t play 3 games in a row which didn’t give him a chance to get any momentum in his fitness or play. So really he came to us half fit.

The luxury player tag just annoys me. People seem to have it in there minds that he just done a few tricks and then was quiet for the rest of the game..........bullshit. Why did our pay improve so much in the last 6 months? In my opinion, it was down to Manuel Fernandes and James Vaughan. Both freshened us up and helped us in different ways. Vaughan made us more direct and Fernandes gave us more composure.

If a Luxury player someone who’s good on the ball, skillful, has an excellent passing range, strong and fast then yes Fernandes is one. I’d rather have that than a player with no ability that just puts in a shift.

I dont think he’s as good as many made out but he still was a quality player and I’d snap him up if we had the chance.
Chris Masey
25   Posted 24/12/2007 at 12:18:38

I think Bentley would be a great addition, and would fit well into the Moyes mentality. Surely he wants to leave Blackburn aswell, he must get so frustrated playing in an empty ground!
Lue Glover
26   Posted 24/12/2007 at 12:12:16

I agree Connor, I don’t understand this ’luxury’ player tag either. I don’t know what it means? Fernandes could turn a game with some outstanding skill. So, he was ’quiet’ for part of the game. Like anyone cared when he could do the business when required!
As for all the ’he kicked us in the bollocks’ stuff - when will we ever understand that loyalty is what WE THE FANS do, not the players, they are paid to do their job and like any one of us, they go where the pay is best and the prospects greatest.
In addition to that, Fernandes is owned by a third party - that third party will be in it for money, not for loyalty or glory or anything else - just MONEY pure and simple.
Yes, perhaps things could have been handled differently but no one outside a handful of people will know the real truth about what went on with Mannygate.

Anyway, I’ll come clean, I’m biased. I wanted him as my toyboy but alas he left for fairer senioritas!!!

Happy Christmas fellow Blues, may all our games be full of goals and our table full of points!

ste palmer
27   Posted 24/12/2007 at 12:20:50

Bentley: is a quality player but is destined for a return to arseanl i think or another huge club.

Quaresma: can’t see it really and may be too much of a ’wide player’ for Moyes’ style.

Parker: would have him defo and may be the driving force in midfield we lack. afterall, even though cahill is vital to everton he is not the best footballer in the world and may further benefit from having parker behind him.

Fernandes: would also have him. so he left us in the past?let him realise his mistake and flourish into a world class midfielder with the blues rather than at arsenal, chelsea etc.

Downing: think he would be amazing for the blues. he is also young and has his head firmly screwed on. would bring goals, assists, skill, a left foot and hard work.
On the ’do we need a right back’ question I do not believe we NEED one as such, but i would certainly be searching for a better right back than phil neville as i do not think he is good enough despite his hard work.
Anyone who throws the ’hes won the champs league’ line at me must remember ’so has traore!’.
however, i think the new right back would have to come from abroad because there arent too many good ones over here (i dont think anyway).
colin malone
28   Posted 24/12/2007 at 12:14:40

Connor, Manny has great skills, i,m not doubting, but no engine. Answer me this, is he getting he,s game at where ever he is now? A successfull side is when every player puts a full shift in for 90 minutes. I remember the likes of duncan Mackenzie, Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, players with great skills but won nothing because they had no work ethic. As for Vaughany, BRILLIANT and works he,s socks off.
El-ray Jackson
29   Posted 24/12/2007 at 12:36:27

Nolan is fucking shit. If he came to Everton, he would just pass as an average squad player, El- Nolana my fucking ars! More like, El-hoof-the-fucking-ball-up-and-runalo! Parker is injury prone, its just a matter of time before he out for another long period. If you want quality players then go to Valencia, they’re having a Christmas clear out.
Fez
30   Posted 24/12/2007 at 13:23:58

fernandes and albelda from valencia! would be perfect. neville seems to be accomplished in right back, and hibbert is shit! and i think scott parker would not improve our squad at all, and he has already played for 2 teams this season (newcastle and west ham) so he wouldnt be allowed to join us any way!
Ben Jones
31   Posted 24/12/2007 at 13:28:59

How about Stephen Hunt? He’s playing well at the moment.... and works hard and quite young so a typical Moyes signing. And I’m hearing figures of 2.5 million as well? And a compatitive centre midfielder... Albelda or Appiah would do for me. Maybe Lassana Diarra, because he can play holding mid (long replacement for Carsley) and right back. Would be a good signing too
Connor Rohrer
32   Posted 24/12/2007 at 13:15:23

Colin, alot of foreign players are lazy when they first come to England. Look at Arteta when he first joined us. He was a lazy bastard and even Moyes said this himself but now he has bought into the English mentality. Now Arteta puts in a shift and I would expect Fernandes to do the same.

Fernandes is 21 and has all the time in the world to improve on his work rate and if Moyes can improve anything about him its that aspect of the game. Yakubu was also called a lazy bastard by the ignorant fans and now look at him. He’s adapted to the Everton mentality and is now putting in a decent shift. I also told you before he wasn’t fit. When your not fit in the English Premier League you will be found out one way or the other. Its probably the most hard working league in the world so physically you have to be at a similar level to everyone else.

At Valencia he has now started playing but his future is still in the balance. There not actually successful. There struggling in the league and have just got knocked out the Champions league. Fernandes will probably end up leaving because of his relationship with Koeman. Koeman had Manny at Benfica and they just do not get on.

As for not winning anything I tell you look at his record. He’s won everything you can win in Portuguese Football aswell as playing in the Champions league semi final. All this and he’s only 21.

He has potential to be a very good player and if there was a chance to sign him I’d do it. Obviously he’s still got a few edges but every young player has and every young player can improve.
Alan Thompson
33   Posted 24/12/2007 at 13:29:41

Huddlestone - Bentley, would be superb additions, the dream continues
Ben Brown
34   Posted 24/12/2007 at 13:38:55

Of the players mentioned:

Scott Parker - Has the potential to be good enough for us, would be a decent signing

Fernandes - Same

Diarra - I think this kid is quality, would be my pick of the 3.

Albelda - In a different bracket, good signing if we can get him cheap, but not the main man we need.

Of the rest, come on boys, set your sights a bit higher. Sounds like Moyesie has by the way he brushed off the rumours about Downing the other day.
Tom Martin
35   Posted 24/12/2007 at 13:23:24

A great addition would be Matt Derbyshire from Blackburn. I think he’s as good a player as Bentley but isn’t up himself. He’s an honest, hard working player and is composed on the ball. I think it was him that scored that penalty for the England U22 side in the shoot out against Holland when he was obviously injured and had been told to come off. I think he’s exactly the right type of player for the mould of the current Everton side.
Colin Malone
36   Posted 24/12/2007 at 14:19:10

Connor, If you look at tha top two in the prem, Arsenal, man u. every single player works for 90 mins, and they have top class players, Fergie or Wenger would,nt have it any other way. So if what your saying about Manny is right, then bring him on.
Chris Harris
37   Posted 24/12/2007 at 15:44:31

Derbyshire, Milner, Bentley, Hunt, Huddlestone: all not good enough. These are all leading players for average teams. Every mid-table team needs one or two of these types of players. I think we’re better than that, or should at least be aiming higher.

Fernandez has proven how good he is in an Everton shirt! Parker is a quality player, but I think his demands would be greater than he would ever deliver.

What about Alonso ?
Connor Rohrer
38   Posted 24/12/2007 at 15:54:11

Chris, Bentley and Milner would defo be good signings. I wouldn’t want both but one would do. I prefer Bentley and if we got him we could move Arteta into the middle and not have to buy a central midfielder. Bentley’s certainly more talented than Scott Parker. But my point before was there’s no chance of getting the likes of Bentley, Milner etc because there cubs just wouldn’t sell and we haven’t been linked with either.

I agree with you on Fernandes though. Alonso who? Mikel Alonso at Bolton or Xabi Alonso at Liverpool? Wouldn’t want either of them. Alonso again wouldn’t join us and Mikel Alonso isn’t good enough.
Tom McCann
39   Posted 24/12/2007 at 16:04:15

Diarra at arsenal an fernandes wud b my pick of the lot arteta wudnt move him newer because e duz everyin at right or left wing neway an wud liek 2 see justin hoyte at everton at right bk an we wud definatly challenge 4 top 4 without a doubt:) happy christmas blue noses.
Dave Wilson
40   Posted 24/12/2007 at 16:33:43

Two Scots, Brown and Parker, would have to loose Faddy and AJ, but hey nothings for nothing
Diarra from Arsenal too coz once he gets his chance again the price will treble, we wouldnt have to break the bank for these deals if we act now
then we really would have a squad
nick heady
41   Posted 24/12/2007 at 16:48:16

Connor,i called yak a lazy bastard for one reason,that reason wasnt because i was ignorant,it was because.....can you guess,yes he was a lazy bastard! Hes not so lazy now and has scored a shit load of goals,so ive changed my mind about his ability.His workrate to my mind still needs improving,What youve got to remember is when you pay 11 million quid for something you want it all singing all dancing and with bells on it,and people have got the right to have their say without beeing branded ?ignorant?.
Chris Harris
42   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:13:26

Xabi Alsonso would be a perfect signing. He’s best mates and neighbours with Arteta and isn’t first choice with Liverpool.

How much did they sign him for? Would they sell? I think he’d be a terrific player for us.
Chris Harris
43   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:17:52

Sorry for double post, he cost them £10.5m and has only played 7 games this season. I think this is the standard of player we need to consider looking for.

International class is what we need. Considering we had it, I’d be happy with Everton spending say £12-15m on Alonso. He fits the bill perfectly.
Connor Rohrer
44   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:14:34

Nick, thats just my opinion. Everyone deserves a chance and Yakubu wasn’t given a fair chance. People slated him as soon as he came without recognizing that some people take longer to settle than others. Beattie got exactly the same thing as did Simon Davies. Neither are what I would call awful players yet as soon as they showed any weakness in there game the fans where after them and they lost there confidence.

As soon as we got beat by Man utd at home people where shouting and giving Yakubu a hard time. I remember after an average performance against Boro earlier in the season some sections of the fans where booing when he was substituted. I also remember after 5 games Dutch was saying lets get rid in January. Thats not fair in my opinion.

What would you rather of had a worker like Beattie of Johnson who gets you 10 goals a season or Yakubu who can guarantee 16-20 a season. My money’s on Yakubu. No one moaned at Duncan Ferguson for hardly running because the big man used to punch people..........what the fuck? We should pick on Yakubu because he’s more laid back than Duncan? It just doesn’t work like that.

It annoys when people go into this price tag thing. Just because Yak cost 11 million he has to be brilliant. This isn’t football manager its real life and people have to adapt to there surroundings, settle and and learn a new system. It doesn’t matter if you are worth 1 or 11 million everyone is different.

You are right everyone does have the right to have there say and my opinion is those who give our new players a hard time without giving them a chance are ignorant.
Ado Wareing
45   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:21:50

I think Fernandes actually wanted to join us but Valencia had a more solid offer on the table - we were to busy arsing about negotiating with that 3rd party that co-owned him. I heard he was gutted Everton didnt sign him. He?s a quality player warming Valencia?s bench BRING HIM BACK.

We dont need another striker, so forget Matt Derbyshire. I?d have Nolan if he went cheap (>4m) but that aint gonna happen, same with Koumas. Why not try and get Lucho (although he would be cup tied in Europe) again or even Mr.Riquelme?

Xabi Alonso (although a red shite) would be a good call, though he is a red shite. He?s a quality player but red and...umm...shite.

Scott Parker is a mercenary, hes a great player but he?s a bit of a money grabber really- not made for Everton,also he is injured a lot.

Spurs wont let Huddlestone go, so we should forget that.

But this may all just be dreams becuase I?m not entirely there is money to spend. Loans will be a possibility but that is a very limited market.
James Elworthy
46   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:48:05

Stephen Hunt Johann Vogel David Albelda all in,
All the rest are pipe dreams they are neither up for sale or we havent made an offer.
I like Hunt he is a busy player a nuisance and he has a nack of scoring goals.
Ben Brown
47   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:49:23

Chris, I thought exactly the same thing about Alonso only the other day. We have to be aiming at players who are significantly better than what we already have. And that means top, top players. Particularly the midfielder we need, a 5/6m ’established premiership player’ isn’t good enough.
Steve Bant
48   Posted 24/12/2007 at 17:36:45

Take notice of what Sven is putting together. The Mexican player (Castillio) he brought in was a star in the summer. Has the potential to change a game. Fernandes: would be a excellent signing not sure how long it would take for him to resettle. How would the fans treat him?
Hunt: would fill a nice void (left footed and can beat a player) would compete for a starting spot and could add an attacking wide option off the bench.
Ultimately I do prefer looking overseas for a quality skillful player to play in the midfield.
Gavin Ramejkis
49   Posted 24/12/2007 at 19:28:54

Agree with Steve Bant over the quality being offshore, just look at Arsene Wenger; in all his time at Arsenal he has only ever bought six English players of which two are shite - Richard Wright, Franny Jeffers, one is nearing retirement - Sol Campbell, one is a jailbird - Jermaine Pennant, one didn’t make their grade Matthew Upson and the other is still proving himself after all the hype - Theo Walcott. Every other player has been from overseas and the majority vastly superior to anything from this country. How many trophies and titles have all this got him?
Gary norman
50   Posted 25/12/2007 at 15:53:36

Fernandes a luxury player,dont see much of him when we are losing and the going gets tough,shit on us big style in summer,so no thanks. I think Hunt from reading would be a very good buy,Hope we get him!