Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Not a stylish win...

...but a well earned win. Bolton had no intent of playing a football game but just to grind out a draw. Well played to the lads for being patient, and also the fans for being patient and wait for the brakethrough, flukey if it was.

The players look to have a confidence that has a never say die attitude. Well played again to all.
Dave  Charles, Liverpool     Posted 26/12/07 at 20:45:05

Comments

Nick Flack
1   Posted 26/12/2007 at 23:30:24

He's fat, he's round, he's always at the ground, Sammy Lee. 3 or 4 games now he's been in the stand since he was sacked. Assistant manager or a job on the gates?
Martin Cutler
2   Posted 27/12/2007 at 02:44:07

The current Bolton side are not an easy team to beat (not the hardest either admittedly) bit todays result following Sunday’s game was a very good result. Three points, a clean sheet.

Be happy!

COYB!
Martin Berry
3   Posted 27/12/2007 at 03:41:00

I thought after an hesitant start Everton got to grips very well and played some exciting stuff. What turned it for me was during the middle of the first half when Tommy was seen saying to Neville, "play it on the ground" after that we seemed to have a more measured approach and Tommy did lot of prompting which brought players into the game, I can see Tommy being very influential as his fitness returns. Well done boys.
Chris Mylde
4   Posted 27/12/2007 at 04:36:34

I think for all the past debates on playing style - what the Bolton game did show is that we have now abandoned the hoofball approach. We just weren?t very good at it in the first fifteen minutes and were playing exactly the way Bolton wanted. Once we started passing it around, it shone through what quality the side now possesses. Sheer delight to watch - overall a very good performance. Also, I was excited about the lineup with Tommy in the middle - he was highly vocal and influential and was captaining the side more than Phil was.
Patty Beesley
5   Posted 27/12/2007 at 10:18:59

Did you see the grins exchanged between Cahill and Neville yesterday when Cahill ran towards Neville after the latter scored the first goal [or should that be second -still think there was nothing wrong with the Yak?s goal] - what other team has such comeraderie between the players as we have? Its fantastic.
Per Stumo
6   Posted 27/12/2007 at 10:49:48

The comraderie between the players really seems great at the moment, with practically everyone laughing and joking a lot. Good morale all round :-)

Oh, and did you all see Neville running up to Andy Holden and giving him a big ’ole hug? They were all laughing their socks off at the bench too :-)
Jay
7   Posted 27/12/2007 at 12:08:42

@ Dave Charles - You wrote, "Bolton had no intent of playing a football game but just to grind out a draw" - you mean the way we have traditionally done when playing against Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea? Just because we’re starting to play a bit now doesn’t give us the right to pour scorn on clubs with lesser ability doing what we ourselves had to do when it was all we could do.
Phil Griffin
8   Posted 27/12/2007 at 12:52:23

Lighten up Jay!!
Eddie O'Neill
9   Posted 27/12/2007 at 12:32:35

Well guys, I thought it was a good game against Bolton. We looked very confident, and believed that the goal/s would come. they played like we used to...sitting back feeling inferior. That in itself shows how far we?ve come.

Once again I must say that our best player was Pienaar....I feel this guy is class...and if bought will turn out to be better for us than Arteta. He?s much more involved in games than Arteta...has better vision (I believe), better engine, even better at defending when he has to.

Now I don?t want to start a Pienaar vs Arteta row (how good it is to have both in our team?) but it is how I feel. We will miss this guy when he?s off to Africa....BIG TIME. We have been playing such nice football lately, and if you watch it, every good move involves him...either at the beginning...middle...or end of the move, fantastic!!!! It?s so long since I?ve seen this kind of play from Everton. He reminds me of a smaller version of Trevor Steven.

We gotta get this lad on board. £2mil??? Jayus...I?d pay £15mil for him at today?s prices! If this guy is out of our team for any reason in the coming matches, we?ll notice a BIG difference!!!!!!

Happy new year all you blues!!!!!!!!

Jay Harris
10   Posted 27/12/2007 at 14:09:38

Eddie
its funny how we all see things differently.
I think Pienaar runs round like a headless chicken and almost cost us again yesterday when he overplayed near his own penalty area.
He puts a high work rate in and is occasionally skilful but too often for me runs around aimlessly.
Eddie O'Neill
11   Posted 27/12/2007 at 16:12:08

Jay,

Fair enough, I respect your opinion, but just cannot agree with you on this one. However, I will agree with you when you say " its funny how we all see things differently"

Cheers mate.
Terry Maddock
12   Posted 27/12/2007 at 16:22:56

On the seeing things differently side:
So far this season we always seem to have 6 or 7 candidates for "MOM" a sure sign of how improved we are this season..My MOM was Jags..he had a class , pacey international in his pocket..one of the best defensive displays this year...But I understand the choice of Lescott, Arteta or Pienaar as well..its just a pleasure to watch.
Connor Rohrer
13   Posted 27/12/2007 at 18:29:46

Jay Harris. completely disagree with you on Pienaar. If you can not see he’s a good player then you need to watch more closely.

He made one mistake yesterday. The last kick of the game where he knocked it out for a corner but other than that he was good. Hardly cost us the game as we where 2-0 up with about 50 seconds left. When did he overplay? Do you mean when he skinned there winger and cleared the ball? Thats called being calm and collected and he had the confidence to do it which impresses me especially after his mistake last week.

How does he run round aimlessley? He covers his fullback better than most which shows he is a team player aswell as a flair player. He’s our most creative player and his final ball is better than Arteta’s. He has 7 assist in all competitions aswell as scoring 2 goals. He’s not as flashy as a Fernandes or an Arteta but when he gets the ball in the final third I am very confident he will crete something.

Quality player and very consistent. A snip at 2 million.
Rob Hollis
14   Posted 27/12/2007 at 20:08:13

Jay
Pienaar is quite possibly the BEST player we have got. His pass through to Andy Johnson for our first goal away at Bolton made me think we had somebody out of the ordinary. Game after game he gets better.

I think your post is a wind-up. Nobody could be that stupid.
Brendan McLaughlin
15   Posted 27/12/2007 at 21:28:21

Terry Maddock - excellent post.

Not so long ago our MOTM choices were Arteta, Arteta or Arteta. Now we have a clutch (is that the right term?) of MOTM candidates to choose from.
Paul Olsen
16   Posted 27/12/2007 at 19:35:31

Pienaar is pure class although he falls like a feather(he can’t weigh more than 40 kilos)

But, better than Arteta i don’t think so.