Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Rumour Mill ? Who will it be?

I for one start to get this buzz when the transfer window opens, checking all available gossip, just to see who we have been linked with. But being realistic who do you see David Moyes seriously making a bid for, don't forget there are loads of players going to the ANC so the likes of Chelsea and Pompey will be active, most managers dont like selling half way through the season and you need to bed them in quickly, no pre season etc.

Vogel and David Albelda are two players who could be on the radar. Anyone got any other realistic players who might be a Moyes target or any gossip they have picked up, airport sightings etc?
Anthony Murphy, Liverpool     Posted 28/12/2007 at 08:35:03

Comments

Lyndon
Indulge your Footie Manager-style fantasies in this thread and we'll try and divert the transfer talk here.
Ralph Wetzels
1   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:32:56

Well, I was at the Roda JC-Heerenveen match yesterday. Everton scouts were in the stands to watch Heerenveen’s Brazilian striker Afonso Alves. Later confirmed by RTL4-voetbal (Dutch "Match of the Day").
James Elworthy

All press speculation
OUT
McFadden
VDM
David London
3   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:35:18

(From the Guardian) "The Everton manager made a top-class central midfielder his transfer priority in the summer, with a then club record £11.25m bid rejected for Porto’s Lucho González, and it remains the objective for next month"I don’t recall hearing this!Info please!.
Jon Sellick
4   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:44:33

How much money have we got? 10 mill left over from the summer? plus 3-4 mill from mcfaddeden?

I’d throw it all on david bentley meself
Danny Bostock
5   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:51:06

Buzz!!! Fuckin Buzz.
Im shittin meself hoping Mikky will still be ere in Feb. I know he?s said he will be and I for one 100% believe him but I just carn?t helping thinking what if... PLEASE STAY MIKKY!
Dave Trudgeon
6   Posted 28/12/2007 at 09:50:32

Doesn't look like Stephen Appiah is coming in January. We can't afford to buy another broken player, no matter how good he usually is! I'm gutted to be honest because he could have been the missing link.

I just hope Moyes has a player in mind. what does everybody think will be the transfer plan now because we NEED two midfielders, one squad, one first team

Gavin Ramejkis
7   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:55:14

News in that Appiah has a blood disorder and won’t be going to the ANC.
James Elworthy
8   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:57:21

Sky said Appiah has knee trouble.
I hear Beattie out for a month, thought someone fighting relegation would put a bid in for him
Mick Mac
9   Posted 28/12/2007 at 16:55:56

Good point how much has Moyes got in the kitty? Hes a bit of cagey manager in January sales, he wants a player who can hit the ground running, not another fucking Koldrup. It isnt easy getting the right player in January though, unless hes been tracking someone all season. We do need a quality midfielder though, and another right back.
Nick Flack
10   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:06:47

Bentley would be top draw, but can?t imagine Blackburn letting him go for anything shy of 6 or 7 million. I like Downing, he?s a grafter, in a good side I?d be pretty confident he?d settle in and start to show his worth.
Do we need him? No, I?d make Peinaar priority. And perhaps a defender.
Alonso is nonsense, He?s a top drawer player, if he does leave the shite, which I can?t imagine, he?d be off to a CL side for sure.
Ajay Gopal
11   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:20:23

I reckon it will be Vodel on a free, and Fernandes on a loan (and lots of apologies and explanations). That would do for me !
Chris James
12   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:16:28

I reckon we’ll get Vogel on a free as cover for Carsley and/or possibly Albelda, but I’d be surprised if there isn’t a move for a more creative midfielder too.
Downing has been long discussed and is certainly an option as is Bentley although the latter has such a highly inflated view of himself I can’t see him moving anywhere beyond the CL ’big four’ just yet. Fernandes might be on the cards IF the 50% private holding can be bought (I hate this sort of big business bullshit in footbal - as if the agents weren’t screwing enough cash out of things already -l and I think quite rightly Moyes and Kenwright are suspicious too).
Huddlestone would have been worth a crack I think (shame he’s lost weight and gained favour at spurs) but ultimately I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find Moyes unearthing another loan gem Pienaar style to surprise us all.

I’d be prepared to let McFadden go if we absolutely had to (although I think we’ll call on him more once the Yak and Pienaar are off, especially with Osman injured) but ultimately I think the best signings we could make would be nice long contract for Pienaar and an extension for Carsley (I reckon he’s got another two years in him and I’d love to see him stay on, maybe move to a coaching role - he’s a brilliant bloke and much loved around the club).
John Dawson
13   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:30:40

Alonso is the most overrated player in the league and isnt fit to lace mikkys boots. Bentley would cost £15 million but would be worth every penny. He is the new Becks and would complement our attacking hard working style
Jeremy Beaddle
14   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:36:07

I cant see anything more than 1 player in, and 1 player out (McFadden).

I would be surprised if its a quality midfielder incoming - I dont believe we had 22 million to spend on two players in the summer, and that it was more a question of either or - we got yak when the midfielder didnt come through, and piennar was the cheap second option.

Piennar I would love to buy, but moyes wont do it till the end of the loan period as it makes no sense to do it now.

Vogel on a free, to replace carsley for 2-3 seasons, seems a good deal.

If we spend any money on a player, than I would wager its a defender who can play central or right back.
Tommy Banks
15   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:26:19

My bird works at JL Airport, just got a text of her and she reckons a few office boys from Everton borded a easyjet flight to madrid about an hour ago. Valencia is about 2 hours from Madrid on the coast, could it be Mannny? I am not sure but you dont go to Spain in the winter got to be transfer business, Just phoned my mate up at the airport and he thinks one of them was Wyness and the club lawyer according to the girls on the gate.
Andy Ainsworth
16   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:39:44

We dont want Bentley, hes overated and overpriced at £15m. I’d bring Fernandes on loan and Albelda for the quoted £4m. Sell McFadden to Celtic for £4m and sell Turner to Sheffield for £2m
Micky Norman
17   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:34:15

Dave Trudgeon- Sincerely hope we don’t sign the missing link-Dirk Kuyt. But really Danny B is scaring me shitless. Can’t imagine that it would happen but if he doesn’t get to play for Spain soon........... Roll on February the sooner the better.
Jimmy Rooney
18   Posted 28/12/2007 at 17:41:34

Our kid is a taxi driver and are contracted to both LFC & EFC he picked bully beef up today from finch farm in Halewood and dropped him off at the Airport, he asked him where was off Bully said Scotland to see his family. That was it and the firm are picking him up tommorow on his return.
James Elworthy
19   Posted 28/12/2007 at 18:00:20

The Madrid flight left at 13:15 today
Albert Velthuijsen
20   Posted 28/12/2007 at 18:16:35

My bird has just spoken to Julio Iglesias he?s confirmed that he will give a mini concert at half-time if Manny signes for Everton ffs.
Jeremy Beaddle
21   Posted 28/12/2007 at 18:26:26

STOP PRESS:

Executives in "take a flight over xmas" = transfer in progress exclusive.

Crikey. I love the comment about no-one goes to spain on holiday over winter, so had to be business. Pure genius.

Maybe one of the party has a a villa. Maybe they have family abroad. Maybe they were going to a show, or a game. Or maybe they werent going to spain after all. I think you guys have to remember that some people are very well travelled and it wouldnt surprise me if wyness hasnt been to a dozen different countries in the last 6 months.

And the other question is how they recognise everton club executives in the first place? I could recognise wyness and kenwright, and thats it. I very much doubt that check-in girls can recognise evertons club lawyer...sorry.

And call me stupid, but if my brother?s girlfriend?s aunties dog sitter, who happened to spot said executive at airport and asked the question on where they were going, I really wouldnt expect an honest answer.

Lets stop the amusing, but clearly nonsense, posts....

James Elworthy
22   Posted 28/12/2007 at 18:43:40

I will buy you a pint if a Valencia player signs, but dont they usually come to you to sign.
Spain is a popular destination in winter.
Peter Toney
23   Posted 28/12/2007 at 18:49:21

Bring back Manny i say. i know a lot will disagree but i reckon he is class if not maybe albelda.
Harry Everton
24   Posted 28/12/2007 at 18:57:34

Just read on Valencia Web page Emanuel Fernandes to sign on 12 month loan for Everton Have it
Harry Henderson
25   Posted 28/12/2007 at 19:46:56

Errr - where on the Valencia site?
Joe McParland
26   Posted 28/12/2007 at 20:01:31

Cant find it on valencia site either. Sky Sports website reports that Joey Barton remanded in cutody until Jan.3.
Terry Smith
27   Posted 28/12/2007 at 21:14:56

Why would Everton staff be flying to Madrid and drive 2 hrs to Valencia when they can just fly to Valencia?? They should know that as we all took that flight when we played Villareal!!!
All the names mentiones would be nice to have but lets face it Vogel is a cert.cant see Manny or Alonso coming.But i have heard and this was just after the last window is that we was very close to signing Downing but couldnt agree on a few things and now more or less have come up with a suitable offer/package to Boro and looks like the deal is done and is now up to the player to make his mind up.Going from what he has been saying in the press about the way he feels @ Boro he could be here soon.VDM going the other way!!
Tom Campbell
28   Posted 28/12/2007 at 23:56:54

Im suprised nobody has mentioned Paul Scharner, hd be a very good player! He can play in the middle,in front of the back 4,centre half r right back!! Wouldn be a bad player 4 about 5 million, and hopefully Fernandez, i nearly got his name on my everton jersey until he fukd off!! But there is always room 4 class,and he certainly is!!!!!!! COYB
James Martin
29   Posted 29/12/2007 at 02:44:55

I feel certain that David Albelda would be a fantastic addition to the team. He’s a bit tidier on the ball than Harry Hill, although probably not as clean in the tackle. He’s the type you look on as a fucking hero when he plays for you, whereas on opposing teams you’d tend to refer to him as a dirty bastard. Loads of European and international experience and a real leader. Some players seem to have a special vibe about them, a gleam in their eyes which portrays a winning mentality. Cahill’s got it, Lescott’s got it, James Vaughn’s got it and this Spaniard’s got it too. COYB!!!
Vin Ferguson
30   Posted 28/12/2007 at 14:56:32

I heard that Andrei Arshavin from Zenit St petersburg was coming to the Blues for £12.5 m. Shabby Alonso isn't all he's cracked up to be (just another "world-class player" in the myopic eyes of the Plasma Kop - too much television and not enough reality!) and Andrei is top quality. Shhh ..Don't tell the rest of the premiership !! In Moyes We Trust ! COYB !
Mark Creevy
31   Posted 29/12/2007 at 06:34:49

Tom, Scharner isn’t a bad player, but do you think the rest of the team would take to him, after he hit the floor like a bag of spuds when Dunc cracked him one? I’d see him more as cover, as opposed to someone who could actually improve the starting eleven.

Is Robbie Savage available? Ha ha!
Dave Wilson
32   Posted 29/12/2007 at 06:46:17

Faddy to Sellic, Scot Brown coming the other way, got to do it now while they think Faddy is the answer to their problems and before Fergy- an admirer - steps in
James Elworthy
33   Posted 29/12/2007 at 11:37:48

I am surprised someone with a relative in Walton Jail has seen Wyness at visiting time.
Arshavin is pure class.
If you were slugged by Big Dunc you would go down in a hurry too. Jimmy Bullards face when that happened was superb he knew you dont upset the big man.
David Sinnot
34   Posted 29/12/2007 at 20:09:45

Everton will sign Manuel Fernandes for £8m once the transfer window re-opens in January. Moyes held no grudge against Fernandes about his agents decision for him to sign for Valencia. Another 3 players will be added during the window in the form of a left winger, striker and right back.