Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Great game, horrible result

I am bitterly disappointed today, we played so good in the first half, controlled the action, and scored a goal ? perfect. Then as it is always with Everton and the big occasions we pushed the self-destruction button.

Three hoofballs resulted in three horrible mistakes and unfortunately in three goals. For all their ?free-flowing? football Arsenal were pinned back in the second half with 60-40 possession in our favour, they couldn?t manage to get out of their own half, never mind putting us under pressure and yet how can we blow up every opportunity is something I can't understand.

Comedy of errors gifted them 3 goals; yes we can blame the referee about the second goal but the truth is that even if it was handball Yobo and Jag should have dealt with it. About the third, the less said the better.

We played all the big guns and although we played good in all the games we came out with nothing and unfortunately I can't say that this bad luck, we are missing something ? this kind of arrogance and self-belief which distinguish the top-sides from the good ones and we for now are clearly in the latter category.

I still hope we can finish in top 4 but the more realistically aim is Uefa Cup place, if we can manage a final in cup competition it would be great but sadly we are still not good equipped to challenge the top sides and I still have bitter taste.
Stefan Tosev, Sofia     Posted 29/12/2007 at 20:04:30

Comments

Derek Thomas
1   Posted 29/12/2007 at 21:31:43

...Ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, DOH!

One, DOH!

Dust yourself off and start all over again.

P.S. Don't panic, well no more than is needed.

Alan Clarke
2   Posted 30/12/2007 at 09:12:09

We bottled it like we always do in big games. There has to be some kind of inferiority complex amongst the squad.

Neville’s own goals against Liverpool and Man U. Turner’s mistake against Man U. Hibbert’s inability to head a ball on the half way line which lead to Liverpool’s equaliser this year. Yobo fast asleep against Vidic at Goodison. Pienaar’s rash challenge on Giggs in the dying minutes. Now Jagielka can’t judge the flight of a simple long ball.

If we have any serious ambitions, the squad have to start behaving like they believe they can win and cut out all these awful errors at crucial points in big games.
Dave Lawley
3   Posted 30/12/2007 at 08:57:32

Is there something wrong with the crowd at goodison? I was watching the game on sultana and after playing the better football against the flair team of the premiership and leading 1-0 going into half time you?d think we would have something to shout about, but it was the same old bit of everton, everton, followed by nothing, what a shit atmos (at least thats how it came across on the telly box) and before you all start shouting ?why dont you go to the game and shout your head off then? I couldn?t go because the ambulance service requires poeple to work nights and weekends!. Then second half, utter collapse, red cards, dirty tackles, handballs, injustice, you would think that would get us going, nope, everton, everton, followed by utter fucking silence. I have noticed the atmos being a bit flat the last few years I put that down to us being shit and literally having nothing to shout about, but nowadays? after the first half I thought wheres the crowd roaring us on demanding we get another goal, inspiring us to victory? I went to the Derby away game, their fans with really nothing to be happy about, never stopped singing, putting the much heralded away support to shame, even singing ?your support is shit?, didn?t provoke a response. When other teams get a twelve man at home through the crowd, (our adorable neighbours for example) Sometimes I think our lads on the pitch are on their own.
Harry Barracuda
4   Posted 30/12/2007 at 09:35:45

You lot don’t know much about the laws if you think Eduardo controlled that with his arm!

Having said that, Bendtner definitely deserved a straight red and so did Arteta.

Cahill and Neville did superb attempts at diving and didn’t get punished, it’s a shame the ref was so intent on throwing cards at Arsenal, so perhaps the Bendtner decision makes up for it.

It’s a difficult time of year physically, and I agree with your writer’s assertion that Everton need more depth in their squad; having said that, so do Arsenal in certain positions.
Lue Glover
5   Posted 30/12/2007 at 09:52:05

David, not sure what the problem is with the sound on the telly but I can assure you that there was plenty of support from the crowd. I could barely speak on the way home, no voice left. Yes, when the fourth goal went in a lot of people left but yesterday the atmosphere was second to none.
There were a few periods of relative quiet but on the whole, the support for the boys was excellent. I sit in the Lower Gwladys so perhaps I hear it differently but I can assure you that the support was there.
We can’t be expected to sing and chant all through the match. I go to watch football and it’s not that easy to concentrate on the game when you’re singing all the time.
Some games can be a bit flat but yesterday was not one of them!
Tony Williams
6   Posted 30/12/2007 at 11:51:54

Well said Lue. I also sit in the Lower Gwladys and I can confirm that it was not quiet at all.

Dave, before you start having a go at the crowd from your armchair, I would suggest you at least go to a game first and then you have your comparrison.
Terry Lloyd
7   Posted 30/12/2007 at 12:21:07

Dave how can you comment on the atmosphere if your not there, watching it on your plasma and actually being there is a bit diffrent, even watching movement of the ball is not seen on a 32" telly honest mate, no comparison. I was in the Park end and the volume was pumped up, even the away fans made a bit of noise.
Jip Foster
8   Posted 30/12/2007 at 16:28:05

I agree with Dave ? I was down the pub and when the second half started I turned round to my mate and asked what had happened to all the crowd noise. There was a definite difference in noise levels when the second half started compared to the first half ? although I thought it may have been Setanta playing about with sound levels.
dave lawley
9   Posted 31/12/2007 at 13:11:31

Thanks for that jip, so the hearing aid wasn’t playing up then, Tony, I have been to a game or two mate as many away as at home due to work commitments, I go when I can, but could not make this game as I said in the original post (did you read it?) The problem I have is that we are capable of a fantastic atmos and we know when we’ve had it, poeple didn’t stop goin on about the atmos in the pompey game last year for weeks, (only 2nd half mind), why can’t we produce that more often, ok if we get hammered from start to finish fair enough, but this season, and saturday, what more inspiration do we need from the team, apologies to those who screamed their heads off, but as a collective we could do better, nil sati nisi optimum, we demand it from the players, maybe we should demand it from ourselves.