Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Arteta and Spain

Just seen the Spain squad for their friendly against France and noticed no call up for Mikky again. I've only had chance to watch games on TV this and last year, but from what I've seen Mikky hasn't really been in as good a form as we've seen in the past few years (I really wish he would have a dig a bit more!!!).... but is anybody else concerned that his continually being overlooked for Spain (especially when Albeida who can't get a game for Valencia and some 17-year-old from Barca make the squad) may spur him to look to moving?

I hope not and hope we'll see the best of him again and for sometime to come yet..... Fingers crossed we can get back to winning against Blackburn with Mikky, Manny and Vaughany on the scoresheet..... COYB's!!!!!!
Darren Reeves, New Zealand     Posted 01/02/2008 at 21:09:01

Comments

Dominic Fitzpatrick
1   Posted 02/02/2008 at 14:46:23

It pains me how players like Albert Riera, who couldn’t hack the pace of the Premier League get in ahead of Mikel.

Having said that though, it’s kind of bitter sweet isn’t it? I’m sure we would be made up if Mikel got in the squad, all of the persistant rumours saying he’ll need to move to Spain to receive recognition will surely disappear, or Europe’s elite still be sniffing around.

With regards to Mikel’s recent poor form, I think it is the sort of rut a call up would well and truely sort out, however it won’t happen, not with the current manager in charge.
Keith Glazzard
2   Posted 02/02/2008 at 15:02:52

Be careful about what you wish for. San Mikel would grace any national side, and good performances in Europe - this month and then next season - will raise his profile in Spain, which is already very respectable. That’s when our problems would start, when the big money offers from Spain came in.

As it is, I see a player who is happy in his work, proving himself in the PL and in Europe. If this continues, my bet is that we’ll get Arteta’s best years and he will move back to Spain in three years or so.
Craig Tomasinski
3   Posted 02/02/2008 at 15:33:07

Maybe you guys in England will be lucky that he will play there long enough and qualify for the England team. I wonder if he would be willing to do that!!!
Kevin Hudson
4   Posted 02/02/2008 at 16:57:42

Why would he be interested in representing Spain anyway? He?s Basque. Both Basques and Catalans do not regard themselves as Spanish, and both "provences" have long campaigned for independent nation status. Arteta?s first language is also Euskara. I guess it would of course depend on his own sensibilities...
Andy Hegan
5   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:23:12

Can someone tell me what Arteta actually brings to the party? Goals?,crosses?, through balls?. It seems some Evertonians are duped by silky skills that usually lead to not very much.IAn interesting statistic on Sky today says that Villa have 19 goals from 43 deadball situations. Everton have 10 from 40. Who takes our deadballs?. The best little Spaniard we know. Perhaps Spain just prefer better players in their squad.
Damian Scott
6   Posted 04/02/2008 at 13:17:30

I think I might start a campaign with the Irish department of foreign affairs to see if we can get Arteta an Irish passport :-)

He’d be great in our midfield.

Damian Scott, Dublin.