Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Howard: Shot-stopper

There?s not a lot of debate on these pages about the goalkeeper. I think Howard is piss-poor. As a shot stopper he?s ok, but that is it. Virtually every other aspect of goalkeeping finds him wanting. Afraid of crosses, terrible kicker, will never save a penalty, quick to point the finger at those around him,etc...

Don?t laugh, but I think P Robinson is at the same stage of his career that D James was when he acquired the Calamity tag. Robinson has deservedly lost his job at Spurs this year, but I am sure he will bounce back. In the past he has proven to be a fantastic keeper on his day, and I find it hard to believe that he has completely lost it.

I don?t think for a second that DM will change his No1 in the summer, but in the long run the Yankee is going to cost us...

On a related note...I am still scratching my head wondering how in the hell Richard Wright ever made it to the professional ranks. Thank fuck he?s not still at GP!
Sean Condon, Liverpool     Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:03:39

Comments

Viv Sharma
1   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:16:01

Rubbish.
Utter rubbish
Dan McKie
2   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:18:14

Summed up well Viv!
Stuart Mitchell
3   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:20:08

Spot on Viv

Howard has been class for us!
Alex Collins
4   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:16:38

I think that Howard is top quality.
Robinson is a joke.
Nuff said.
Michael Hunt
5   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:24:21

I wish Ghana had Tim Howard in goal right now. 1-1 in AFCoN QF but Ghana captain has just been sent of, Yak already has scored and another goal will see Nigeria through and therefore Yobo n Yak won’t come back !! :-(
Paul Smith
6   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:25:28

Can’t really add anything to these replies. Howard is a top quality keeper. To say otherwise is totally ridiculous.

Richard Wright was a good keeper when he played week in week out. He is a confidence player and if memory serves may still hold the club record for consecutive clean sheets in the season that we finished fourth. Injury lost him his place and Martyn and Howard with the young signings meant that better keepers came along and he never had a chance to regain his place.
Roy Rennison
7   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:35:02

Is that the same Tim Howard who has just kept two clean sheets????
Michael Hunt
8   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:41:43

Ten minutes to go and ten man GHANA HAVE GONE AHEAD!! Hang on Ghana and let’s have Yobo n YAK BACK!!!
Chris Jones
9   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:49:22

Dear Mr Troll,

It’s you who is ’piss poor’. Howard equalled Big Nev’s record number of clean sheets last season. If that makes him ’piss poor’ then my name’s Fred Fanakapan.
Michael Hunt
10   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:52:45

from BBC site: 1852: Last chance saloon. Deep into stoppage time, Yobo is unable to convert a chance amid a forest of bodies in the six-yard box and Ghana pump clear.

YOU FUCKING BEAUTY! Unlucky Yak and Joey, you did your country proud, but thank fuck you’re coming back!..now let’s charge toward top 4 finish and CL glory!
Lee Mandaracas
11   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:57:52

W T F ?????!!!!!!!!!!!

How can anyone question Tim Howard (except his dodgy kicking which no-one can argue but I don?t really care how dodgy as long as goes away from our 18 yard box).

Sean, you compare Paul Robinson with David James and seem to presume he will automatically have a similar turnaround. Howard has already had his turnaround and we are the beneficiaries of his dodgy spell at Man Utd.

I had my doubts we could get someone as solid a Nigel Martin (the first really solid ?keeper since Big Nev) but am glad to say Howard is an utter legend for us.

I?ve seen some of your posts here before Sean and they?re not usually this absurd so I don?t believe you are a RS in toffee?s clothing but seriously mate, better go to Specsavers!
Steven Mills
12   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:13:30

Give me strength!!!

In 11 league games he’s conceded just 7 goals - 2 against Man Utd, 4 against Arsenal and an Own Goal!!

I say get Steve Simonsen back he’s doing a fine job at Stoke I think!

I honestly think some of these people are wind-up merchants!
Rich Williams
13   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:15:58

Sean you must be having a laugh, Howard is quality. It is such a relief not to have to worry about our goalkeeping position, compared to the dark days of Richard Wright/Simonsen/Gerrard. Howard is one of the best in the prem, the right age and gonna be around for a long time which I am very thankful for.
Connor Rohrer
14   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:12:37

The only thing that annoys me about Howard is his kicking but other than that he’s a very good keeper. People seem to forget that he kept the second most clean sheets last season bar Reina of Liverpool and is keeping a good number this season in all competitions.

We haven’t particularly had a settled back four this season have we? We started with Yobo and Stubbs, then Yobo and Lescott, then Yobo and Jagielka and now Lescott and Jagielka. There’s been no consistency in either the centre back or fullback positions but all in all we have coped and Howard has been very good.

Always looking to blame others? A goalkeeper is supposed to be your second captain therefore if the back four make a mistake they get bollocked. Its called leadership and Howard is excellent at it. The Metalist Kharkiv game springs to mind where he was absolutely excellent at controlling his back four. Stubbs and Yobo where dire as where pretty much the whole team and Howard calmed them down and made some excellent saves.

An underrated keeper in my eyes and one of the best in the Premiership. How is he going to cost us? Hasn’t made alot of mistakes this season or last and I hope that continues.
Chris Dottie
15   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:17:32

Hold on, I would go absolutely nowhere near saying piss poor but I wouldn’t burn Sean out as some seem to have done. I actually think he’s an excellent shot stopper and very good at one on ones, I also think that only he’s one of the best 3 keepers Everton have had in my lifetime ie in the last 35 years. But you’ve got to admit that apart from the distribution he has a problem with crosses on too regular a basis. Staying on his line in the last minute against Chelsea arguably cost us a cup final and flapping against Wigan was another good example.

I like him, but he needs to improve his decision making on crosses or I think he’ll remain a UEFA class keeper when we want to be getting Champions League class in.
Peter Fearon
16   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:18:50

Anyone who thinks Tim Howard is not a world class goalkeeper has never seen someone like Richard Wright or any of half a dozen keepers Everton had before Timmy. He has strengths and lesser strengths but compared to someone like Simonsen, Wright, etc forget it
Dave Slater
17   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:10:16

I agree with Sean - Howard is weak. If he was that good MU would have kept him ! If he's not good enough for them, he's not good enough us! We will never be the best if we rely on top-three rejects.

Yes he's a good shot stopper, but he won?t go for crosses, his kicking is poor and his positioning for back passes is awful - Lescott won?t pass back because Howard doesn?t inspire confidence. He won't kick even a yard outside his area.

Watch him next time ? look at his weaknesses and then think again. He does not dominate his penalty area as a class keeper should.
Ian MacHenry
18   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:23:28

What an unreal post that is

Unless of course he was talking about Frankie Howard
John Talbot
19   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:27:35

Worst post ever read on this site. Howard was a bargin and the best goal keeper at Everton since Big Neville.
Lue Glover
20   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:28:06

Yes Ian, Frankie Howard, didnt he play for Roma?
Seriously, to call Tim piss poor is a bit much?
Perhaps I would agree that he?s not so keen on coming out for crosses but that?s about it.
Yak and Yobo are coming home! After the stomach churning events at Blackburn, some good news at last and Simon Davies did us a big favour down at Fulham too! Come on you Blues
Brian Garside
21   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:52:12

Sean. Spot on.
Now I know I´m not alone.
Terrible on crosses,ask SWP´s.
Clean sheets,check the form of Yobo,Lescot,Jags,Cars.Well said Dave.I hope this us not the Peter Fearon I went to school with ´cos that is garbage.
Mr Talbot,have you alredy forgotten about N.Martin?
jayharris
22   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:57:23

Sean
You have my total sympathy.Howard is the Duncan Ferguson of Goalies - a legend before he’s a keeper.
I said before the transfer window that a top class goalie should be our priority to get us to the next level and was similarly castigated.
Those people obviously never saw Neville Southall at his best who was almost singlehandedly at times responsible for us winning a lot of games.
Howard is a great shot stopper and usually quite good but far too inconsistent and erratic for me.
I know he’s kept a good few clean sheets but when you have a good back four and five in midfield you’re entitled to keep clean sheets.
Steve Guy
23   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:09:17

For anyone who thinks Tim H is not one of the best GK’s in the Prem I have only these words....You have clearly never watched him.
Desmond Prosper
24   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:10:36

So who should Howard’s replacement be? Cech? Van de Sar? Maybe we should put a bid in for Buffon? Mind you, their respective clubs might not be so willing to let us upgrade at the goalkeeper position...so if you know of another world-class goalkeeper that is currently or soon to be unemployed, be sure to give Moyes a ring! Cheers!
PS In the meantime, let’s stick with the goalkeeper that Man U. reluctantly let go and didn’t want to face on his first season with us.
Tony Williams
25   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:36:34

Why are so many people responding to this daft, attention seeking thread? I mean who in the right mind......hang on.....crap. so have I....doh!!
Brian Garside
26   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:33:26

It is not possible for Howard to classified as "world class". He is maybe Premier class but nt more. Fergi just wanted an even weaker keeper between the posts so dont draw any conclusions from that. Besides. Why did he sell him to us in the first place? Was he not considered competent enough maybe?
Jimmy
27   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:29:33

How ’bout we get DM to sign Hart from Man City?
Better yet, why don’t we go for Kenny from Sheffield United?
Ray Robinson
28   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:36:48

This has to be a windup. Howard is probably the third best goalie that I’ve seen at Everton - behind Big Nev and Gordon West. Nigel Martyn runs him close - otherwise nobody else comes near.

Ok, his kicking is poor and he can SOMETIMES be indecisive with crosses but what about his spring, agility, anticipation, reactions and safe hands?

For God’s sake - who is better in the PL? Cech maybe? Can’t believe this post!
Connor Rohrer
29   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:33:07

Dave Slater, Man utd are the Champions of the Premier League. Most of our players aren’t good enough for Man utd never mind Howard. He is good enough for us and he’s proved that over the last season and a half.

I watch him every week mate home and away and I can tell you he’s a very capable keeper.

JayHarris, thats got to be one of the worst posts I’ve ever read. Howard a legend? Get a grip of yourself lad. He’s our first choice keeper and one that the majority of Evertonians rate. Its not like where over rating him or giving him the status of legend is it?

Comparing him to Neville Southall is just not fair at all because Southall was one of the best keepers ever in his prime and played in our best ever team. Howard isn’t at Neville Southall’s level and never will be but few are.

Who would you have bought in then to get us to the next level? And be realistic because the best in the world wouldn’t join Everton.

If Howard is erratic then he’d make alot of mistakes and the fact of the matter is he doesn’t. If he was erratic then he wouldn’t keep those clean sheets. Don’t give this bollocks about his defense keeping all the clean sheets because its a team effort and everyone does there job.
sean mcnally
30   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:49:16

Are you serious lad?

i actually blame toffeeweb for allowing that ridiculous post to be placed on the site.

howard has been fantastic for us, apart from the arsenal game i can not remember him making a mistake whilst in goal for us. and that arsenal mistake was debatable to as wether lescott made the shout
Jason Broome
31   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:59:10

If there is anyone similar to D James it is Howard (minus the eccentricity).

Robinson has no command of his area, reads the game poorly, cannot organise his back line & has loss the confidence of every defender in the country.

Robinson was a flash in the pan, who took advantage of a lack of English goalkeepers. The past two years Robinson?s been found out and he cannot cope at Howard?s level.

Another slow news day! Viv is right this thread is rubbish!

paul hennessey
32   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:58:26

so he doesnt come out for crosses - so what? at least the defenders know where they dtand with him

oh and his kicking is very good
DAvid Moore
33   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:42:38

He has kept 10 cleansheats in PL thius season and 14 in all other competitions. So if that isn’t good enough for you why dont you gou in the gals and see how good you are.
Dave Southword
34   Posted 03/02/2008 at 21:54:09

Without getting into massive arguments about stats or incidents, I asked myself this question:

"Do I trust Tim Howard in goal?"

Yes, absolutely. As much as any goalkeeper we have had since Nev, with the exception of Nigel Martyn.
Michael Kenrick
35   Posted 03/02/2008 at 21:49:52

I?m sorry; I guess it?s all my fault. After editing the works of Mr Marsh for many months, I should have known what the words "piss-poor" would do for some of the brainless knee-jerk merchants who read these pages. Thankfully there are others who can see beyond such expletives to engage in some reasonable discussion about the limitations of our goalie.

Oh I forgot; we?re not supposed to examine the abilities of our players quite so closely, are we....

FFS, this is a discussion forum. If you not interested in discussing the topic, please just refrain from contributing. Okay!
Sean Condon
36   Posted 03/02/2008 at 21:53:40

I?ll tell ya what. I?ll be having a laff when he completely misses swinging at a back pass one of these days and two hundred of you write in here screaming about him.
The clean sheets? That?s Lescott and co..
Paul Daly
37   Posted 03/02/2008 at 21:57:45

.........so Sean Condon tell us what it’s like being Paul Robinsons agent???? You are aren’t you????
’Cause that’s the only way to explain this outrageous post......
Roy Coyne
38   Posted 03/02/2008 at 21:55:00

While I agree about him being Premier League class, world class is a bit too much. Hopefully his weakness at kicking and his reluctance to leave his line can by corrected at training.
Ean Palese
39   Posted 03/02/2008 at 22:57:17

Mr Condom. You must be thinking of Bobby Mimms. Howard is the best since Southall (kudos to Martyn). There may be no GK who is more athletic in the EPL either. He can dunk a basketball by jumping from the freethrow line a la Michael Jordan. He has the wingspan of a pteradactyl and the quickness of a black mamba. I?d rather have him than yer man Pepe.
Mike Hayes
40   Posted 03/02/2008 at 23:28:57

Just as a point of interest its Frankie HOWERD not Howard!
Peter Hall
41   Posted 03/02/2008 at 23:51:43

Michael, can?t agree with what you say here. Sure Mr Condon should be free to discuss his views on players. And if he posts a view that shows that he has no grasp on reality - well, don?t get upset if the real fans tell him what they think. He?s entitled to his views - they?re entitled to theirs - unanimous, I noticed. And they don?t use worse language or attitude than he used in his post or his rather sad little continuation. So no reason to accuse them and not him of respecting the site. Let him carry on hisdeep analysis (!) but don?t stop all the fans saying what they think it is.

Sadly there?s no filter to show a true blue. I know a couple of blues who go on the RS sites and stir them up while pretending to be reds - how sad is that . . . .

Keep up the great site
Sam Morrison
42   Posted 04/02/2008 at 00:15:08

Re Michael?s comment above.

Michael, I know you like to say you support all views on this site but time and again you come out swinging when a positive majority disagree with a negative poster. There seems to be two sets of rules - anyone being critical can say what they like (including the name-calling and slagging you supposedly disbar) and anyone who disagrees gets bollocked by you as being oversensitive. You say it?s a forum. Are the responding posters not afforded the same freedom of speech?

Recently this has stepped up a notch, with a long list of things "Moyes apologists" - seemingly anyone who doesn?t agree with Tony Marsh - aren?t allowed to mention - including where we were before he arrived, where we are now, the financial lay of the land in the premiership and pretty much anything that puts our current position (sorry, not supposed to mention that either, am I?) into any type of context.

If someone describes Tim Howard as piss-poor why get haughty when people use the same language in response? Why is the dripping sarcasm fine when employed by you and Tony (?brainless knee-jerk merchants??) but rude and ?off-topic? when people respond in kind?

Chris Mason
43   Posted 04/02/2008 at 12:34:50

Hmm?? Seem to remember Howard saving a penalty at the Riverside last season against non other than the Yak!! Correct me if I’m wrong Sean
Nick Xenos
44   Posted 04/02/2008 at 17:53:48

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that Howard is a piss poor keeper but a reluctance to come out for crosses, especially in the Premier League, is a huge flaw in my opinion. The goals against Wigan and Chelsea spring to mine but I’m sure there are many others where Howard could of claimed or punched. He just needs to work a bit more on this aspect of his game + his kicking + decision making on the edge of his penalty area, and he will be ok.