Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Bring the African boys back home!

Just watched Nigeria go out: mixed feelings, as I wanted them to do well, but essentially the Blues are more important so wanted them knocked out!

Let's get Yakubu back for Reading to end the goal drought so we don't have to rely on woeful linesman and referees! With our full squad, barring injuries, being available again Im pretty confident about fourth place. After watching Liverpool play really poorly and without confidence yesterday, despite being gifted a win by a poor side and dodgy refereeing, I feel in no doubt that we are the better team. They have a couple of decent individuals, but they aren't cohesive at all ? maybe because their manager doesn't know his best eleven after years of being at the club and spending countless more millions than Moyes. Villa lost today as well, which is a bonus. they don't look ready to get fourth for me, too inexperienced. I think Portsmouth are going to get a real push by Defoe, but I think our squad is much better.

After a good day for the blues I'm backing us for fourth and a good chance in Uefa Cup. Exciting times... come on you blue boys!! In Keegan style 'I would love it, I would love it if we got in the Champions League'!! That mythic "next level" hype-filled "top four" is beckoning. Nil Satis Nisi Optimum... and optimism!!!
Alex Quigley, York     Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:52:02

Comments

Trevor Thompson
1   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:58:00

We need a win against Reading badly. Liverpool have Chelsea and we need to build up some moment and quick!
Alex Taylor
2   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:09:48

I couldn’t help jumping up when Ghana scored too. Good news having them back for next weekend.
Santosh Benjamin
3   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:13:58

Not going to lie..am happy to have Yak back...sad that Nigeria lost but hope he can focus on helpin secure 4th in the league and progress in the UEFA cup too...COYB
rob
4   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:24:51

Is Pienaar back for the reading game ?
Santosh Benjamin
5   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:28:07

Pienaar is back but i read that he had injured his ankle and was out for atleast 2-3 weeks.
Steve Hopkins
6   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:43:37

Don’t know about the rest of you but I feel that out of our African boys Stevie P has been the biggest miss. I love Arteta but he just doesn’t tend to play those killer through balls like Peanuts. You can count on Arteta to keep the ball and find a blue shirt but how often is it a defence splitting pass?

In my opinion Peanuts has been Moye’s most astute try before you buy yet! Lets just hope buying him is being sorted.
Ray Robinson
7   Posted 03/02/2008 at 20:48:07

Just hope that Yak and Yobo don’t come back with their chins down. We need those guys with their spirits up.
Paul Niklas
8   Posted 03/02/2008 at 18:54:02

As much as I hate to say this, " Well done Ghana" the boys will all be back for next week and that will get us back to winning ways be sure of it. It will also be good news for Tim Cahill, he will have been supporting Ghana today, which will ease his guilt in leaving for Australia.

Welcome back lads, pick up where you left off and lets show the doubters we have the team to kill the red slim chance of 4th.

Keith Glazzard
9   Posted 03/02/2008 at 19:22:07

So Joe and the Yak will be on their way back. From my seat here in Fallowfield, they both seemed to be in good shape. So fit and healthy in fact that between them they almost took the game into extra time at the death. A free kick, about 25 yds out, and Yakubu took it (!!!) picking out Yobo at the far post. Ghana put a wall of bodies in front of his shot on goal, so 2-1 it finished.

The boys done good, but we'll all be pleased to see them sooner than later.

Cliff Zampost
10   Posted 03/02/2008 at 22:30:57

Yobo and Yak are back, but there's serious doubts that Cahill will be ready to play Reading after the WC qualifier, but knowing him I think he will jump out of his skin to return and play for his club.
Kieran Kinsella
11   Posted 03/02/2008 at 22:50:19

I felt guilty hoping the boys lost but honestly I am glad they did. I think Yak being back will put pressure on AJ, Vic and Vaughan to step up their efforts. I wonder if Moyes will bring Yobo straight in at the expense of Jag or move Lescott to left back ? I can’t recall us keeping consecutive clean sheets when les and Yobo were the centre back pairing this season so he may keep things as they are. As for Pienaar I think he is great and I think his presence makes life easier for Arteta because the opposition can’t just try to nullify Mikel with Pienaar to worry about.
Ricardo Humphries
12   Posted 04/02/2008 at 18:57:24

nice to have our players back!