Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Cahill

Cahill has been missing as far as any type of performance since the Chelsea game away. He has looked tired and in my opinion has offered nothing to the team recently. I admit playing a defensive role and expected to get forward and score goals in a 5 man midfield is tougher than any other role; therefore for the team I would expect him to be tired.

Sorry, but here's the rub, the last three games he's has been non-existent, the cynic in me says he has not wanted to risk injury and miss his trip to Australia.

I am prepared to be shot down in flames here but the facts are he has been the worst performer in the team for weeks now ? is this just a coincidence or is it something we have to just face up to? Australia, it seems is far more important than Everton.

Apologies to Tim who I love. Playing for Everton he is a hero, but the difficult questions have to be asked at times.
Paul Niklas, Upholland     Posted 03/02/2008 at 21:56:43

Comments

Joe Coswell
1   Posted 04/02/2008 at 02:07:27

I think you are wrong about him Tim giving it his all 100%.

Although you are right about him being poor lately, he has been. Thing is it wasnt long ago he was scoring almost every game and all players go through hot/lean spells and thats the long and short of it imo.

Id be all in favour of swapping Cahill around (only when he looks a bit jaded) and playing Vaughn up top. This lad needs more playing time I rate him as our 2nd best striker and he gets hardly any playing time, its not like hes 16 anymore.
Peter Bourke
2   Posted 04/02/2008 at 04:19:14

I think Joe is right.
Tim has been putting in 110% without much success. Sure we are used to him scoring on a frequant basis but he has been contributing in every game i have seen this season. He does look a little tired and this has effected his form, but to say he has been conserving himself because of upcoming Aussie games is insane.
His passion and committment have not wained, just his goal scoring. I challenge anyone to name a more passionate and dedicated Evertonian than Tim Cahill. Whilst your comment regarding his form may have just a LITTLE credance, the basis to which you are referring the cause of his dip in form is as i said...Insane.
Nathan Butler
3   Posted 04/02/2008 at 05:58:26

To be frank, I think the comments are a bit over the top.
Go back and look who kick started the season for Everton when he returned from injury?
Tim’s game against Man City recently was full of class and nearly scored again.
I suppose it’s easy to knock someone when the standards he set’s are so very high, what was it, 10 goals in his first 14 or 15 games back from injury?
Ask the Gaffa or Tim’s team mates about his contribution and to a man, I’ll bet they love him.
Just remember, he single handely won numerous games for Everton through October / November and December as well as saved them, short memories some people!
Nick Veitch
4   Posted 04/02/2008 at 07:07:52

Cahill also benefits greatly from a striker who can hold the ball up and bring him into play. The past few games, when playing with AJ up top, we have been playing a number of long balls either for Cahill to jump against a 6’3 defender or to AJ to run onto. With the Yak back soon, be sure to see Cahill coming back to his scoring ways as he’ll be playing with a striker who compliments his style of play.

Jack Daou
5   Posted 04/02/2008 at 08:35:46

Maybe hes had the hamstring problem long before we knew
Paul Niklas
6   Posted 04/02/2008 at 08:44:13

Typical defensive response.

I said three games he had not performed for, now i dont know if any of you go to the game I go to every game, he has not played well and in many instances he has gone missing.

Also, it makes no difference what you did in October to December it matters now, or shall we continue to do what we have done for years at Everton " Live in the Past".

Sorry guys you missed the point completely except for Nick.

He will and would improve with Yakubu up front, we know that but Yakubu was not available but that is not a good enough excuse for not playing well.
Mark Stone
7   Posted 04/02/2008 at 09:12:47

All players have good spells and bad spells. Tim is having a run of not-the-best form, shit happens. He’ll probably have a blinder against Reading and pop up with the winner.
Paul Niklas
8   Posted 04/02/2008 at 09:33:16

I would have hoped so too, but he wont be here.

off to perform wonders for Australia.

Jason Pullen
9   Posted 04/02/2008 at 09:27:03

Ridiculous to suggest he was saving himself for Australia. I don’t think there would be too many more committed players at any club.
Alex Taylor
10   Posted 04/02/2008 at 09:34:10

Nick is spot-on with his comments about the Yak.

Cahill is at his deadliest with crosses into the box and from the striker holding the ball for him to run on to.

AJ is too small for this role, usually being forced to chase balls down the flanks. It is no coincidence that his goal-scoring form dipped when Yak went off to Africa.

I look forward to having Yak back in the team. With no Cahill or Pienaar maybe we’ll see a return to 4-4-2 with AJ or Vaughan partnering him?
Peter Bourke
11   Posted 04/02/2008 at 09:50:37

Paul Niklas, your continued suggestion that Tim is holding back for EFC so he can perform wonders for Aus is pathetic and embarrasing. I bet you are a conspiracy theory junky.
If you know anything about football and have been watching EFC this season it is impossible to come up with the suggestion that Tim is holding back so he can play for Aus. I feel sorry for you.
Cliff Zampost
12   Posted 04/02/2008 at 09:49:39

Paul I think you should think before you write such a silly selfish comment on a such a valued and committed player like Tim. People like you and Moyes need to realize that all players on international duty need to commit to their country if that's what they wish to do, and these players if good enough should be proud to represent their country in WC qualifiers and not be intimidated and critisized by people like you.

And in regard to your comment suggesting he?d rather play for Australia then Everton, Cahill swapped his international shirt for an Everton shirt to a fan in the crowd in a World Cup match, that clearly shows his passion even in off-season to his club. Personally I think Cahill is what Everton is all about, hard battlers that give their best with the best.

Dave Lawley
13   Posted 04/02/2008 at 10:19:04

Tim looks tired, we could do to stick him on the bench for 2-3 games to try and freshen him up, that way he could still come on in the last 20 if we need a goal. I do think vaughn deserves a start, he looks good a the mo’.
James Elworthy
14   Posted 04/02/2008 at 10:25:45

Cahills form has dipped since the Yak went to Africa.
He needs the big man to play off and also misses Pienaar who is able to pinpoint crosses to him when he arrives late.
I think once we have the Yak back we will see Cahill back again scoring goals.
Michael Hunt
15   Posted 04/02/2008 at 10:31:04

Cahill is great in 4-5-1 when he is firing on all cylinders. When not, we are best leaving him on the bench for a game or two to recharge. I don’t think he ever deliberately gives less than 100% but he sometimes runs on empty (or is not used to best effect due to manager’s tactics) so is way less effective at those times.
Moyes’ call this one, but it may even be the right decision to sell him for big money if it means we can get a top notch midfielder like Gonzales or Appiah and play 442 with quality to match and beat the best toe to toe. I’d be sad to see him go though and ideally we would not have to cash in on him (it would also be quite risky and give off the wrong signals). If it worked though...bingo!
Matt Bone
16   Posted 04/02/2008 at 10:56:43

Paul Niklass, you are way off the mark with your comments about Cahill. To suggest he never gives 100% is utter nonsense, even if he does have an international game coming up. The bloke is probably just knackered or has maybe had a slight dip in form. I agree he hasnt quite been doing the business and I am sure that had we a bigger squad he would have been rested recently but to say he has an ulterior motive is utter bollocks.
Also, I wasnt aware that he plays a defensive role. I thought he played behind the striker thus playing as an attacking midfielder.
stu jonno
17   Posted 04/02/2008 at 12:50:32

I personally feel cahill is very over rated!
and would prefer 4-4-2 anyday, and if cahill cant play as a striker or midfielder, rather than this luxury role he occupies then id pick vaughan, who i believe has much more potential and will cause any defence problems.
Tony Williams
18   Posted 04/02/2008 at 13:32:15

Once again the talk of offloading Cahill, as he has had a few quiet games FFS some people amaze me.

He is one of THE most important players in our team, along side Arteta, Howard and Lescott. His presence alone seems to inspire others to play better and he never gives anything less than 100% that is why he is always goosed at the end of the game and it must be knackering to jusp for every single long punt upfield, as he has become the target man when we don’t play it on the ground, or if Vaughan isn;t playing.

And to say he is holding back because of the Australia game is just pathetic, he wasn’t 100% fit on Saturday yet he still played the full 90 minutes, which may have jeopadised his fitness for the World Cup Qualifier.

If we sell him we are not showing any ambition at all
Rob Jones
19   Posted 04/02/2008 at 13:57:39

Tony who the fuck said anything about selling him? The simple fact is he’s missing Yak and because of his position he uses more energy per game than most meaning that he gets tired, also he can’t really play in a lower midfield or as the main strike role so that limits his choices for a more laid back option, I say rest him for 3-4 games give Jimmy a chance and then bring our star asset back in fresh and ready to box the flag a few more times.
Paul Niklas
20   Posted 04/02/2008 at 14:08:36

To answer the responses of people who do not like to hear opinions that are not digestable.

I watch Everton every game.

I never suggested he was not giving 100% I said he is tired and has not performed therefore as most intelligent football supporters would agree with at the moment by definition he cant be giving 100% because if over the last three games which i referred to is his 100% then it is not good enough.

I never said he was defensive, howver again if you know anything about football then with a 5 man midfield you have to do both, simmple as that.

We then expect Tim to attack as well which is very difficult to do especially when the ball is not being held up long enough by our one striker to allow him to get forward quick enough.

So no wonder he is tired.

Australia, England I dont give a stuff about its up to him if he wants to go, however in my opinion and mine only to which I am entitled ( tough if you dont like it) I think Tim desperately wants to play for Australia and I think this over th last weeks on top of asking him to do everything defensively and attackingly has effected his performance.

I am a big fan but for gods sake he is not without criticism.

Paul Niklas
21   Posted 04/02/2008 at 14:20:02

At last Rob Jones, someone who clearly understand the problem Tim has and the reasons why.

I dont expect support on the Australia front but i bet you its part of the equation if only a small part.

Yes who mentioned selling him.

The lead mail on this topic I stated he is a hero and I want heros at gooddison like everyone else.

Surprising what people write and comment on without checking facts.
chris mcmahon
22   Posted 04/02/2008 at 14:33:28

you sound like a right back to me paul
danny bean
23   Posted 04/02/2008 at 14:55:33

I think tim is carrying an injury but i think he will benefit from the yak being back.
But your right paul he has not been playing well but he is allowed a bad patch.
Paul Niklas
24   Posted 04/02/2008 at 15:00:09

chris.

central midfield creative dynamo ? who was always to knackered to get back and defend.

I did try? but it is bloody hard.

Tim by the way is entitled to have a bad patch. but thats not allowed because we as football supporters want everything.

basically he needs a rest.

I take back what I said about being concerned about him going away with Australia, its a long flight there and back plenty of rest, easy game of football against Quatar, come back and get back on track.

Question is will he get back in the team, I think he may have a hard task on his hands. Lets hope so, it will mean we have done well.

Australia forever!!!!!!!. COYW

K= wallabies or is it Kangaroos.?

COYK!!!!! ?

Paul Niklas
25   Posted 04/02/2008 at 15:15:01

Peter Bourke- are you sure the O should be in your name.

would you know by any chance who shot kennedy and who killed Diana, their is a rumour going round all is not what it seems.

chris mcmahon
26   Posted 04/02/2008 at 15:22:43

I bet you have black hair paul going bald.
I bet you looked a bit like cahill when you were younger
Paul Niklas
27   Posted 04/02/2008 at 15:43:50

Better looking.

yes you got me in one.

Any chance you know anything about Kennedy and Diana, before Peter comes back on and gives me some abuse.

Just looked back on my posts today, I am not having any more days off work, I need to get out more.

Love this sight though.

Campaign to make it official.

Micheal, Lyndon, Colm, well done nothing like it.

Only a blue could come up with a site with integrity and intelligence rolled into one.

Going now getting all emotional and said I would have the tea on for when she gets in.

Microwaves on the blink. Disaster.

Paul Niklas
28   Posted 04/02/2008 at 16:13:27

Christine, small world is it not.

Always support the blues.

She lives in Quatar now.

wont say to much more or we will be accused of turning this into Friends re United.

Nice to hear from you.
Paul Niklas
29   Posted 04/02/2008 at 17:01:41

Cliff Zampost???

Everton are a team of hard battlers, is that your opinion of us.

My god, are you sure you are not watching videos with Barry Horne in the team.

We are far better than that. Have you been to watch everton, I suggest not.

Tim gave his shirt away, WOW, he has quite a few of them I would expect, no big deal.

selfish, maybe I am but I am not some delusioned Australian football supporter who think in the grand scheme of things that they matter.

They dont not to any one who wants Everton to finish 4th.

I do not want to be rude to you but you have to respect other peoples opinions and not get to hung up about things that wont make a jot of difference to Evertons performance between now and the end of the season, namely Australia and England Internationals.

Tony Williams
30   Posted 04/02/2008 at 17:20:00

Rob Jones, I quote from Michael Hunt , "Moyes? call this one, but it may even be the right decision to sell him for big money "

That is who the fuck is talking about selling someone.

Cheers
Arthur jones
31   Posted 04/02/2008 at 18:18:07

I too think Tim will return to his previous form when the Yak is back but I also think we are missing Pienaar is missed far more than we realise , He brings a lot of others into play , especially our lads who prefer the ball at their feet , Arteta , AJ , Ossie , TC , even Yak are best when the ball is grounded , its rare to see Peanut launch the big high ball , I personally can’t wait to see Peanut , Mikel and Manny in the same team .
roy coyne
32   Posted 04/02/2008 at 22:58:56

A lot of posts have pointed out Tim being jaded ,so my question is will the trip to play for the Aussies not make him even more so ,if so he should not go in my humble opinion and I would say that with any country even England is it not about time the guys who pay the big wages got some consideration
Cliff Zampost
33   Posted 04/02/2008 at 23:49:07

Paul Niklas??? One thing im certain is your full of invalid suggestions and rash opinions, with the question "Have you been to watch everton, I suggest not."
Does it make a difference if i sit in the back stands to watch everton or sit home on a confortable american winged back chair at home, having the privilidge of watching replays of dubious free kicks or penaltys, personally i think i get to see more of the game at home than you do, while your trying to baulk some boof head who’s blocking your view. Finally as much as you and i and many other everton supporters want everton to be an elite level side and to be a concrete top 4 side, the honest and hard facts are that everton as much as the are sharply impoving to be competitive, are still far away financially and skillfully from elite level sides. So be honest with yourself and be a little realistic about the everton football club. Competitive - Yes, Elite - Um not yet.
Paul Niklas
34   Posted 05/02/2008 at 03:07:20

Cliff, i dont have the problem of any one sat in front of me spoiling my view.

I watch The game from a very advantageous posiion.

watching the game in The stadium is very different as you can watch what players are doing off the ball, which is not what you can do Watching on TV.

I pay particular attention to midfielders I always have, used to play that position myself.

This is why I see Cahils performance differently from you.

I am glad you support us from afar I think its great that you do.

Please respec my opinion as i do yours

Cliff Zampost
35   Posted 05/02/2008 at 12:33:39

Not a problem paul, debates and opinions is what this website is about. Everyone has a different view and perspective. Lets wish cahill all the best in his wc qualifier sellout tonight expecting over 65,000 fans in a few hours time now, Kick off 06:30 pm Melbourne time. Wising tim all the best with his form and a injury free return to everton.