Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Moyes' best buy

Wether or not you think Moyes is the messiah or a coward, who do you think has been DM's best buy? The obvious choices may be Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu, Howard and Lescott, but maybe some of you think A.N. Other.

Personally, I'm going for Lescott. From the moment I saw him come on against Watford, I thought he had quality and this has been re-inforced during the last 18 months. Would be nice if we could get this in a poll perhaps, Michael?
David Pilling, Elgin     Posted 05/02/2008 at 22:47:38

Comments

Ron Wilmington
1   Posted 06/02/2008 at 05:48:19

Joleon Lescott
Cliff Zampost
2   Posted 06/02/2008 at 05:54:29

1st Arteta, Close 2nd Lescott, Distant 3rd Howard.
Peter Bradshaw
3   Posted 06/02/2008 at 05:54:35

Mikel Arteta for 2.5 million the best and the worst Per Koldrup 5.5 million/or the other chinese guy who came with Lie Tie, Wiefang something like that.
Mark Pendleton
4   Posted 06/02/2008 at 07:19:01

In terms of value i’d have to add Nigel Martyn.
Steve Pendleton
5   Posted 06/02/2008 at 07:26:20

Easily Arteta. His trophy cabinet is testamount to that.
Dominic Duerden
6   Posted 06/02/2008 at 07:34:51

Lescott
Joe Coswell
7   Posted 06/02/2008 at 07:27:18

With the question being best buy, imo you have got to take their price into account and the value brought to the team as a result. For these reasons I dont think Lescott could quite be considered and certainly not Yakubu.

Arteta and Cahill were both absolute bargains at both around 2m each I think. 2 of the best value players in the prem full stop surely.

Nigel Martyn as above defo could be it as well cos he was free or peanuts at the most. Infact id probably say him if I had to.
paul hennessey
8   Posted 06/02/2008 at 08:20:10

Martyn given that he was on a free and kept us up in that season when we (and Rooney) couldn?t hit a barn door

followed in terms of value by Bent (who we actually made money on at the right time) and Arteta
Mike Whittaker
9   Posted 06/02/2008 at 08:28:55

1) Mikel
2) Nigel
3) Joleon
sean condon
10   Posted 06/02/2008 at 08:40:42

Ditto Mike W.
John Audsley
11   Posted 06/02/2008 at 08:51:06

Its a tough one

I’d say Martyn due to him keeping us up in 03/04 and his performances in getting us to 4th the following season just pips it with Mikel and Lescott 2nd and 3rd

Lets hope in a couple of seasons time you ask the Q again and Mikel, Lescott etc are a mile ahead of dear old Nig
Tont Williams
12   Posted 06/02/2008 at 08:51:03

Cost wise and value for money, like most say you cannot look any further than Cahill and Mikel.

To be a little contraversial I would actually say the player with the biggest impact is/was Cahill but Arteta has deffinitely closed the gap.

Also hopefully we can add to these bargains the name of Pienaar in the near future
Michael Tracey
13   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:03:06

Cahill
Tony Part
14   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:09:34

How many players would you get for 2.5 million with the same quality Arteta has..That for me was the bargain of the century..
Chris Briddon
15   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:09:26

Toughie Lescott, Arterta, Cahill & Martyn ar up there with the best.

Although I would like to suggest a couple of (slightly controvercial) others.

Phil Neville & Joey Yobo.
Both have proven to be consistent performers for a long period now. Joey has been here for pretty much all of Davey’s career as he was his first signing.

Pip has added good leadership and experience when alot of people didn’t think he was up to much!
Jack Calvert
16   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:18:19

McFadden
For £1m, the moments of brilliance, a good attitude towards the team,

oh and a £5m profit at the end of it!!!
Morris Ronson
17   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:30:07

Lee Carsley

Does just what is asked of him.
Kev Clark
18   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:28:33

Once again he’s passed over - where would we be without Lee Carsley? His defensive cover helps the others in midfield do what they do and shine.
Andrew Cooper
19   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:29:50

Easily Big Nigel, followed by Arteta!
Kev Clark
20   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:31:31

Actually scrap that, Smith bought him about 2 weeks before Moyes joined didn’t he!
Andrew Weston
21   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:32:37

Carsley was actually signed by Walter Smith.

I’d say Tim Cahill personally
Paul Lenehan
22   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:35:14

Rodrigo and killer Kilbane definitely
David H
23   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:40:28

Nigel Martyn has to be!

No-one has mentioned him but Phil Neville....we now have a winner and he brings the Manure mentality into the team....did we miss him against Oldham
Joe Clitherow
24   Posted 06/02/2008 at 09:41:40

Perhaps it’s about to be Steven Pienaar
Alan Kirwin
25   Posted 06/02/2008 at 10:04:02

Just thinking about this gives one cause to laugh (risibly) at some of the gormless criticism that’s sometimes aimed at Moyes on this site.

There are 8 reasons why I say that - Arteta, Lescott, Martyn, Yobo, Yobo, Howard, Yak, McFadden. Soon to become 9 with Fernandez and Pienaar.

Then I think of the ones who we sold on for much less than we bought...erm......are there any? Fans of RS, ManU, Chelsea et al cannot say this as they have all paid fortunes for players who have failed & left for a pittance.

So good question David as it made me much more appreciative of what’s happened at the club under DM and BK.
John Conaghan
26   Posted 06/02/2008 at 10:20:24

I agree with your sentiments Alan, but I’m sure we made a significant loss on Kroldrup.
Alan Rodgers
27   Posted 06/02/2008 at 10:21:27

Morris Ronson - this thread started as Moyes best buy. Carsley was signed by Walter Smith but I do agree he has been great value. For me though , Lescott is the all-time best buy ,hardly puts a foot wrong and ,if sold ,would make a huge profit. Hope we can hang on to him in the long term.
Richard Parker
28   Posted 06/02/2008 at 10:31:25

Think it’s too early for Lescott to be up there with the best. He could break a leg next week and never be the same.... would say he undoubtedly has the potential to be up there with the best.

In terms of value for money, it’s a toss up between Big Nige and Cahill. I still think that the 2 of them had a bigger impact than Arteta, who still needs more final product for all his skills. Don’t get me wrong, he’s probably our best player, but he can still do more.

I think I have to go for Yobo as his best buy, he cost about £3.5M if memory serves and we have had a good 3 or 4 seasons where he’s been a top player for us and I expect him to get better as he matures too.
Bill Midwinter
29   Posted 06/02/2008 at 11:09:20

Cahill, Arteta and Howard.

I’ll go out on a limb and predict Leighton Baines will be a Blue legend and join these three.
chao
30   Posted 06/02/2008 at 11:35:10

Now is Arteta next is Peinaar
Dick Fearon
31   Posted 06/02/2008 at 11:26:46

The one true universally accepted test of a player is how they compare with their peers on the world stage, in particular, the World Cup. I recognise and accept that many whom I worshipped as a boy and admired later on did not cut the mustard at international level.
For example, had George Best played in a world cup final series he may have been rated among the immortals of the game.
When we as Evertonians judge our own players the pedstals we place them on may not be as high as outsiders might build.
What I am really trying to say is that we should judge them from a world perspective. Some of those mentioned are unheared of outside the UK and in some cases are not rated as among the best even in their own countries.
Only one player on our books qualifys in all criteria as being among the world best and I leave to others to say who it is.
Sean Allinson
32   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:07:30

John,

We lost just under £2million on Kroldrup, but made it uo with a £2million profit on Marcus Bent in the same month. We lost about £1million on Simon Davies, but made a hefty £4million profit on Faddy. Moyes transfer dealings compare with anyone except Wenger (who really is a genious) and perhaps Mark Hughes.

Best value for me has to be Arteta, and I?m hoping he will shortly be joined by Pienaar. £4.5 million for the two? The stuff that dreams are made of!
John Lloyd
33   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:18:09

I assume you mean Cahill then Mr Fearon?

But I disagree with your waffle before it, being blunt, we can rate them however we want!! We dont have to give a shit about outsiders opinions cos this is a Everton site & if someone says Arteta is his favorite then he can & he is justified by saying that, just as someone who says Martyn, Lescott, Bent, Cahill etc etc.

The thread is Moyes best buy & for the record here’s mine:-
1) Arteta - most talented player we have had in 20 years at goodison and an absolute steal!!
2) Cahill - another steal who has scored important goals for us & epitomises what we love about this club, if you have the chance to meet & talk with him he seems genuinly in love with our club, refreshing.
3) Martyn - even though we got him 10 years too late, when we did get him he saved us so many times & was fantastic & another who in his short time here had or has a genuine affection for the club.

Only reason I left out Lescott is cos cos he was more dough!!!
Ian Ankers
34   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:23:35

I’d have to say Cahill. He’s been so important to everything Everton have achieved, I’d hate to be without him.

1. Cahill

36   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:33:26

1. Iceland Meat Feast pizza...£1
2. Arteta
3. Cahill
Ajay Gopal
37   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:38:01

I will go out on a limb and say that potentially the best long term signing under DM is.........

Jagielka

Simply superb in the last few games and great commitment.

Also, Pienaar could be the next great thing.
Dean Johnson
38   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:41:05

Arteta, Lescott, Yobo in that order

I like Cahill as a bloke and a goalscorer, but not as a footballer, he’s a clogger and can’t pass, so that’s why he’s not in my top 3.

worst - kroldrup, davies, beattie
Dick Fearon
39   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:36:00

Dear John LLoyd, thank you very much for studying my criteria and coming up with the right player.
Any other finding, regardless of how much the individual rated can only be regarded as a parochial decision.

I am a tremendous fan of Arteta and would be even more so if he was a bit more consistent especially against the biggies away from home.
None-the-less he will find his way onto my list of greats the Pele’s, Maradonnas Eusabios etc when he has ’been there and done that’ on the world stage.
John Lloyd
40   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:58:25

Cant argue with your criteria etc, but the question people are answering is "who are moysies best buy’s?" that is for everton by evertonians so even though you have a point it may be worth opening another post/thread asking people what Everton players they think are currently world class & who has the potential to be.......just a thought.
Steve A
41   Posted 06/02/2008 at 12:54:51

Brian McBride would be somewhere on my list - his goals were vital back in 2003.

By and large though I would have to go along with the usual suspects.

It made me think though about the number of players we have out on loan at the moment ;
Vidarsson
John Paul Kissock
Paddy Boyle
Scott Spencer
Lucas Jutkiewicz

If they all come through who knows who might be on this list in 2 years time.
Arthur jones
42   Posted 06/02/2008 at 13:19:47

I’d have to say Mikel at the moment , closely followed by Joleon but in time and if they sign permanently then Pienaar and Manny could be worldbeaters and I think leighton Baines couls also join that group . Idon’t really think cost should be held as a high criteria because if a player does better than is expected of him then no matter what he cost he’s value for money , eg if The Yak scores 25 goals a season then £11.5m is a bargain
Graham Nolan
43   Posted 06/02/2008 at 14:15:28

For me it has to be Joseph Yobo. A player who has improved year after year and is still getting better. A fantastic ball playing centre half and has proved good value for money.
He is goes about his job with the minimum of fuss and doesn’t get the plaudits he deserves.
sam morrison
44   Posted 06/02/2008 at 14:17:02

It’s tempting to pick out a ’surprise’ player but for me Mikel Arteta has been so good, for so long, it has to be him. He was the creative source for the team before this season and now - thankfully - we have others who can do likewise. But we must never forget!

As others have said, Martyn and Cahill are also right up there.
Dan Parker
45   Posted 06/02/2008 at 14:26:50

Yobo - been there from day 1 and you could argue the team has been built around his solid start.
Dan Mckie
46   Posted 06/02/2008 at 14:51:03

All the usual suspects mentioned are in with a shout, but I personally think Arteta because for a long while he carried the side and everything good went through or came from him!
Santosh Benjamin
47   Posted 06/02/2008 at 15:25:53

Nigel Martyn...still miss him sometimes
Arteta has also been of immense value to us..as has Cahill...not to forget Lescott...
Tom Rowe
48   Posted 06/02/2008 at 15:34:12

I think we have one of englands biggest talents in our young Leon Osman hasn?t cost us a penny but has flourished under David Moyes? reign. He is an example of why our young players like James Vaughan need long runs in the team to turn their talent and potential into class.
Tony Marsh
49   Posted 06/02/2008 at 16:10:59

Simon Davies or Shandy Andy have to be up there along with Kevin Killer Killbane.How about James Beattie he has to be in with a shout and theres always the resigning of Osman and Hibbert on life time contracts to consider./>Some wonderfull pieces of buisness I must admit.
Graham Nolan
50   Posted 06/02/2008 at 16:17:12

Tony, the topic was/is Moyes BEST buy.
Why do you always focus on the negative?
I agree with you, the above signings were not great signings (with the exceptions of Ossie & Hibbert, good squad players both) but you go and focus on bad signings. Why?
I doubt there has ever been a manager in football history who has never made bad signings. I also, notice that you enjoy sarcasm, and fair play to you, you ray of sunshine!!!
Tim Lowe
51   Posted 06/02/2008 at 16:23:35

Dan P & Graham

Have to agree with joey. He was one of davey’s first signings for about 5 mil i think? Every year he has improved and believe he can take some credit for lescotts development as well.
Dan Parker
52   Posted 06/02/2008 at 18:23:37

Have a lot of respect for Joey. He committed long-term to the club before we started to get better when so many players in the past had looked towards bigger and better things.

A combo of loyalty and Moyesey’s powers of persuasion.

Plus we have him to thank for getting the Yak!
Bob Carlton
53   Posted 06/02/2008 at 18:50:42

Not yet signed, not yet great, but "potentially" Fernandes could be one of the greatest (most influential) players to wear the Royal Blue shirt in recent times
Could be that missing bit of magic.
sam morrison
54   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:09:22

Tony, thanks for that marvellous bit of input. You summed up perfectly why most people find you an irritant rather than someone with anything insightful to say.

Kevin Kilbane played a part in us finishing 4th (in the season we’re no longer allowed to mention by Michael), Leon Osman has been in good form this season and Tony Hibbert is the punchbag of choice for those taking a break from criticising the manager.

V Der Meyde and Beattie were shite, agreed - though I seem to recall you saying that the reason Beattie was shite was because of Moyes.

But with these two and Kroldrup, it’s three bad signings weighed against Martyn, Howard, Lescott, Yobo, Baines, Cahill, Arteta, Johnson, Yakubu, potentially Fernandes and Pienaar. I also think Neville and Valente were good signings. Martyn aside, that’s pretty much the current team.
Tony Williams
55   Posted 07/02/2008 at 13:35:37

Ha ha gotta love Tony Marsh, even a thread about Moyes’s best signing and he tries to have a did at him. Classic

Kevin Kilbane, as stated played in the team that finished 4th and sold for a profit after 2/3 years.

Simon Davies, sold for a slight loss but a quick decision to get shut.

James Meattie, sold for £4m after 2 seasons, a master stroke

Shandy Andy, a £1.8m gamble that didn’t come off

Hibbert and Ossie, players that cost nothing and I hardly think their wage demands would cripple us. Hasn’t Ossie been touted (daft I know) for a possibe England selection.

Keep it coming Tony, like Maccy D’s...der der der de dur I’m Loving it.
Paul Niklas
56   Posted 07/02/2008 at 15:01:21

Whilst from a football perspective you would say,

Arteta,Cahil, Yakubu, Lescott,yobo,Piennar( hopefully and Fernandes.

The answer for me is Phil Neville.

He brought us profile, character and I believe gravitas.

He has done it all and won everything, this helps when signing players like the above.

Not the greatest footballer but has brought a lot of other thing s that make us the team we are today.

Great buy