Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Two minds

Currently watching the Engeeerrrland v Swiss match. 1-0 up at the time of writing. Question at half time is how the f.c.u.k Jo Lescott did not get the shout before a) Upson or b) Brown. This is allegedly a side which has been picked on form not favouritism or reputation !. FFS!

The only conclusion you can come to is that Crapello has already become London-centric and "big 4"-biased after one game.

However the point really is Jo not playing for England means he is off the radar of other clubs at he and abroad but, if Jo doesn't his chance will he get pissed off and want to go anyway? I reckon AJ is already starting down that road although Jo has the class to be a true international. Just wait for the pundits to start with "he'll only fulfill his potential with a bigger club" a la Shrek.

Discuss...
Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 06/02/2008 at 20:41:50

Comments

Andrew Humphrey
1   Posted 06/02/2008 at 20:51:41

Apart from his age, anyone else see any reason why Brown was picked ahead of Neville or even Hibbert? No crosses, poor passing and runs, as for tackling...only half time I know but really, if he makes the next squad I'd be very, very surpised...or would I!
Trevor Thompson
2   Posted 06/02/2008 at 22:03:35

I'm just wondering if Fabio Capello thinks Lescott is not good enough? How on earth did Upson get in front of Lescott for the England game? He didn't even get on as sub! What the hell going on?
Robert Poots
3   Posted 07/02/2008 at 02:03:14

Do you not think that Lescott would be viewed as a replacement for Rio as both players are capeable of running a ball out of the box therefore too similar to pair in a cerntral pairing?
Steve Carter
4   Posted 07/02/2008 at 02:04:34

What happened to that fella Vogel that we were supposed to be getting?
Michael Hunt
5   Posted 07/02/2008 at 03:54:22

To be fair, Upson has been on good form too and Capello was unlikely to play both ahead of Rio Ferdinand. Wes Brown played right back so irrelevant to mention Wes Brown.
West Ham are nowhere near as close to being genuine ’Big Four’ as Everton...we are top 4 already FFS!
So it is a non issue really. There is more to come from big Joleon and he is highly likely to become a regular under Capello if he keeps going. We was on the bench and at the heart of the squad. The only way is up for Joleon Lescott, just like his Everton Football Club.
Seamus Murphy
6   Posted 07/02/2008 at 10:06:52

Christ now we’re starting the speculation of our own players leaving ourselves. Who needs tabloids.
John Lloyd
7   Posted 07/02/2008 at 10:59:40

Upson is a player I dont rate myself, how Lescott never got the nod is anyones guess. Being honest I’m not arsed, as long as Joleon is happy here then fuck england cos they bore me.

On the Wes Brown subject, (I dont rate him myself) he is apparently being talked into joining us in the summer on a free. Its not a doen deal as he genuinly doesnt know whether to sign a new conatrct at the mancs due to the number of games he’s played thisyear but if he goes then we are his number 1 destination.

What do we think, I’m not tthrilled about it myself??
Gordon Blair
8   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:09:50

Wes Brown is absolute tripe, I’d hate to see him here...

although if he does come, I always rated him ;o)

I think Brown, Upson, Jenas (in spite of the goal) and (first half at least) Gerrard were all poor last night.
Kieran Kinsella
9   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:05:17

Capello said he watched videos of the last few England games which in my opinion fully explains why Lescott was left out.
Lee Spargo
10   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:28:46

To be fair to Upson, he played well last night. But I agree that Lescott is a far better player. I thought both full-backs were awful though. Cole and Brown should not play next game. Baines or Shorey for LB anyone?
Neil McKinney
11   Posted 07/02/2008 at 15:03:03

Maybe you’re right Kieran, but based on that logic there should have been a few more names left out cos let’s face it there weren’t many players who covered themselves with glory in the last couple of England games.
Keith Glazzard
12   Posted 07/02/2008 at 23:35:49

I thought Switzerland played well last night. Even with loads of subs on in the second half they looked like a good football team all over the field. Not Brazil or Italy (take your pick), but competent.

By comparison, England were a rag-bag. Yes they won, but ale house teams with a couple of players have been known to beat better teams. Capello must be wondering how to get some kind of shape and skill level (pass to someone wearing the same shirt as you, please) into his assault on the World Cup.

Lescott was well out of it. Upson was crap. Ferdinand not much better. Wes Brown? I think I’m back to the ale house team here. An absolute yard dog.