Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

100 Goals?

Will we ever see another Everton player score 100 goals again?, if so whom? When?

This topic has probably been debated on ToffeeWeb many times before but it always amazes me that there are only six Everton players who have achieved it. Obviously, there are quite a few that have come close like Sheedy and that little fat ungrateful twat Tony Cottee amongst others.

A lot of you out there may think that there's more chance of Alan Gobshite Green paying us a compliment but I would like to think that we now possess at least three players in our squad who, providing they stay loyal to us and stay fit could crack on and score 100 goals.

They are, in my humble opinion:

Tim Cahill - (27goals)
Andy Johnson - (12 goals)
Yakubu - (12 goals)

The above figures are not exactly brilliant but with a bit of luck, the odd penalty every couple of seasons and some decent officials in general, then who knows?
Matty Dawkins, Hartlepool     Posted 06/02/2008 at 21:21:19

Comments

Joe Coswell
1   Posted 07/02/2008 at 02:09:13

Where did you get your figures from? Theyre all out of date or wrong. Theyre not even just league goal stats. Besides goals in any comp should count, the correct totals are...

Cahill - 36
Johnson - 18
Yakubu - 12

The only other 2 even worth considering (they are both onky 19 afterall)are

Vaughan - 7
Anichebe - 9
Joe Coswell
2   Posted 07/02/2008 at 02:10:30

Cahill would have to keep us his scoring rate til he was about 34 to reach 100. I fully believe he could stay with us for that long legs permitting but can he keep up the rate right through tilt that age? Very unlikely but a small chance.

Johnson, not a cat in hells chance really. Once his pace starts to desert him in a few years hell become a lot more ineffective ala Radzinski and move on imo.

Yakubu is an interesting one. If he stays with us for the rest if his career I believe he may well do just reach 100 goals. Hes scored 96 career goals at 25. Its just a case of whether he will stay or not, already having played for 2 other Premiership clubs.

Vaughn is a bit of a shot in the dark but if he is as good as he could be he could definitely reach that target, especially as I could imagine him being a lifelong Evertonian. Just a case of whether he fulfils the potential or not.
sean condon
3   Posted 07/02/2008 at 02:18:35

Does anybody else actually think that Cahill has another 60+ goals in him? I love Tim, and he is symbolically important for being one of the first clear signs that things were turning around for us, but i’ll be surprised if he’s still commanding a starting spot at GP three years from now.
sean condon
4   Posted 07/02/2008 at 02:24:40

Joe: re your comment about Vaughan. Wasn’t Rooney once a lifelong Evertonian?
One of the most annoying things about pro athletes in ANY team sport (well, there’s only one that matters, but...) in the modern age is the utter lack of anything resembling loyalty. I can understand that players want to be amidst the glamour of the CL, and that they want to maximize earnings while they’re young because, god knows, that 30 million in your bank won’t last forever! But please, is it asking too much as a fan for ONE high-profile player to do a Steve Bull?
Me, i’m hoping that player is gonna be Joleon Lescott, but I won’t be surprised when Wenger convinces him that a club like Everton "can’t match his ambitions".
This has been a bitter week. Peanut injured, Tanner/Wiley, and the grade-school intelligence of Stevie Me on my tv last night saying something about how he would have Capello fired if he didn’t make him captain.
Matty Dawkins
5   Posted 07/02/2008 at 04:59:10

Joe, Ooops, I forgot to include this seasons goals... Soz.
Eric Myles
6   Posted 07/02/2008 at 05:52:24

Stick to suporting the Monkeyhangers Matty ;-))

Not a dig, I’m one myself!

Erik Dols
7   Posted 07/02/2008 at 08:15:13

Lescott at his current rate of goals could reach it somewhere around 38 ;-)
Steve Ferns
8   Posted 07/02/2008 at 09:58:07

To have a player score a hundred league goals for us requires someone prolific to average about 15 goals a season and stay here for 7 years. Of the current lot, I don’t think any of them are prolific enough (bar Yakubu) and not many footballers manage 7 seasons at one club these days.

Of the current lot I believe only Yakubu or Vaughan to be capable of it, but I would not put any money on it.

The one most likely, although a long shot is Jose Baxter, although again I wou;dn’t put any money on it.
Steve Ferns
9   Posted 07/02/2008 at 10:30:31

What are the chances of the Yak getting 8 more goals and becoming the first evertonian since Lineker in 1986 to get to 20 goals in a season?
Joe Coswell
10   Posted 07/02/2008 at 10:55:40

Joe: re your comment about Vaughan. Wasn?t Rooney once a lifelong Evertonian?

Its a valid point but you can hope! When he starts getting in the team regularly (or if) I could imagine him staying an awful long time. Thats me with my blue tinted specs on though.

Steve Ferns - Last player to score 20 in a season was Beardsley in 91/92 (he got 20). Unless youre talking purely league goals, then it was Lineker. But then if thats the case then Yakubu has 11 more league goals to score tor reach 20.
Mike Blakey
11   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:13:19

Anichebe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, if he is still at everton next season i will be very surprised!!Just an all round awful player

Ok i’ll give him his uefa goals, fair play, but really he is simply not good enough, i think he would struggle to get goals in the Championship!!!

Only one who got a chance is Yak if he stays with us for 6 or 7 seasons, but by that time he’ll be about 65 wont he!!!!!
Neil Humphrey
12   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:42:37

Mike,

Whilst I agree Anichebe won’t reach 100 goals for us, your assessment of him as an ’all round awful player’ is way off. Either you have never or rarely seen him play, or you are blind to the fact that despite a recent dip in form, he has the ability to have a strong impact on games - especially in Europe this season, where he has got us out of hot water on more than one occassion with his goals. Big Vic is a strong, powerful forward with a decent goal scoring record for a 19 year old who hardly ever starts a game.
Michael Blakey
13   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:50:23

I have seen him play alot and not develop at all over the last 18 month. I take your point, he is stong and powerful and can be effective in europe but only with a long ball game, as he is unable to control a ball played to his feet, or run in behind. I simply do not think he is good enough for the premier league, if he were to be trnsfer listed, which prem teams would come in for him...........none, not even ones at the bottom!! I know Beattie was bad (sorry, worse than bad) but i believe Victor does not have the ability or natural skill to get to Beattie’s level, and the only reason people our not getting on his back yet (much) is because he has come through the youth system and these player tend to be given more time eg Michael Branch
David James
14   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:56:37

RE Steve: Didn’t Beardsley get 20 goals for us one season? I could be mistaken.
graham plewes
15   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:37:20

The race for 100 Everton goals will be between Vaughan and Baxter, touch wood.
Ant Mill
16   Posted 07/02/2008 at 13:40:35

If the Yak stays he’s got about another good 6 years to crack on and try and get 15/20 goals a season and mite come close to 100. Cahill mite get to 50/60 i reckon.
Allan Hobbs
17   Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:47:20

Wasn’t Kanchelskis the last Everton player to score 20 in a season??
Peter
18   Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:56:18

Who’s this Baxter lad i keep hearing about?
Darren Manning
19   Posted 07/02/2008 at 15:09:47

Jose Baxter
Allan Hobbs
20   Posted 07/02/2008 at 15:37:54

Kanchelskis - 95/96 season, 16 league goals, 20 in all competitions.
Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 07/02/2008 at 17:11:59

I heard the Mancs have been watching Baxter for awhile
Nick Wall
22   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:39:36

When I read the post, I though it meant 100 league goals. And that to me is the true test by which we can compare Everton’s big hitters down the ages. The full list is on the Everton results stats site : http://www.evertonresults.com/lgegls.htm .Only a few of the real greats - six of them - have scored 100 league goals for Everton. Duncan Ferguson, the last man to notch up 50 league goals for us, is only 32nd on the list with his total of 60 goals.

It can still be done. Robbie Keane’s just got his 100th premiership goal for Spurs. But it can only be done by a top striker playing regularly and scoring regularly over the best part of his career. So let’s not put the burden on our teenagers by placing these kind of expectations on them now.

A 100 goal striker is a very distant prospect at the moment. But I am really looking forward to the day when the next Everton striker chalks up 50 goals for us. We need some more heroes to claim as our own.
Rob Jones
23   Posted 08/02/2008 at 13:23:28

Just been looking on Evertonresults.com, any bets on Timmy becoming our most prolific goalscorer in Europe this season? him and Vic are on 3 while Fred Pickering is on 6 so certainly achievable, also Mikky on 2 and Joleon has 2 in 2 starts