Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Dreading Reading

We've never done that well against Steve Coppell teams for some reason down the years so Saturday will be a big test. We are 4th and they are 4th from bottom so the game is huge for both sides. Reading who can't stop conceding will feel good about the fact we haven't scored in 270 minutes and they are due a win.

With players jetting back in from Oz and Africa to meet up with the tired and frustrated folks who have been at Goodison all week I just feel that we are vunerable heading into this one.
Kieran Kinsella, Gainesville Fl     Posted 06/02/2008 at 23:21:15

Comments

Erik Dols
1   Posted 07/02/2008 at 08:26:31

We were unlucky at Blackburn, I think we played quite ok and I think we should be able to defeat Reading if we keep up that level of play and add the return of the goals from Yak and assists of Pienaar. I do not see it as negative as you do, but it won’t be easy and certainly if the lads underestimate Reading and don’t give 100% we’re in trouble.

On the other hand, with Manu - City and Chelsea - RS at the program, we could do great business in the race for the 4th spot. I expect Villa to beat Newcastle and West Ham should be able to win at home against Birmingham. Pompey have to travel to Bolton and that could prove to be too much of a test for them. Blackburn have to travel to Emirates on Monday, I don’t see them getting a point there.

If all these results happen as I expect, Villa is the only team within the one win-range. If Blackburn and Pompey lose (and West Ham for that matter but I really don’t see them losing this weekend) and we win, these teams are too far off to contend for 4th place seriously.

This could become a very, very good weekend for us. Then again, it’s football, results don’t let themselves be predicted so easily. We could be crying at 6th place with four teams breathing in our neck come Monday evening.
Chris Lawlor
2   Posted 07/02/2008 at 08:58:25

Kieran, I dont share you’re outlook on this one. I see us as being very unlucky in the last 2 league games and I can see it all coming right on Saturday. I’m not saying it will be another Sunderland type result, but I’m expecting a comfortable 2 or 3 nil win. Reading are not the team they were last year and with the Yak back to take some of the pressure off AJ it will pay overdue dividends. COYB.
Connor Rohrer
3   Posted 07/02/2008 at 09:17:05

With Reading’s poor form and our promising performance I expect nothing less than a win. These are the games we have to be winning and if we don’t I can’t see us keeping hold of 4th place.

With Yakubu back I’d probably go 4-4-2 with Yak and AJ leading the line and Fernandes and Carsley in the middle. Save Cahill for the next game. He’s been a little out of form of late and all the traveling will effect him. We certainly don’t want him getting burned out.

Reading’s a key game for me. Winnable and with Liverpool playing Chelsea we have a chance to make the gap even bigger.

COYB
Simon Taylor
4   Posted 07/02/2008 at 09:44:01

We owe them one.

They haven’t won away all season & we’ll be fired up after last weeks injustice.

The return of the Yak will give us a lift (& hopefully a goal!) & whilst no game’s easy - we’ve simply got to take the 3 points on Saturday - it should give us some daylight, if other results go the way of the form book & it’s too good an opportunity to miss.

It’ll be a decent game, but we’ll come out on top.
Paul Lenehan
5   Posted 07/02/2008 at 09:50:44

For once im fully confident that we will beat Reading comfortably. They are awful away. We owe them one. We are welcoming Yak and joey back. Our home form has been good.
Trevor Day
6   Posted 07/02/2008 at 11:22:31

i’m feeling confident that we will flog reading, the yak up front, yobo to partner jags , roger at left back, no place for tiny,osman fernandes,arteta, can’t wait , this has to be the best Everton squad for years , 5-0 COYB
patty
7   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:08:57

Haven’t you noticed its Sod’s Law with Everton that when an opposing team hasn’t won a game for weeks on end, they play us and end up winning or getting a point!!
Lee Spargo
8   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:17:34

We’re gonna slap Reading - 3-1, just watch.
Peter Pickles
9   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:24:13

Trevor,

" roger at left back"

who’s that then? have I missed something.
Michael Brien
10   Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:34:35

Kieran - I agree to some extent in that I don’t think we should take Reading for granted, but I think that we will win 2-0. It’s coming into the final stage of the season, when every match is vital for every team. If you have a bad run now then you can run out of games to put it right. That’s why I feel we shouldn’t underestimate Reading.
I know that Reading are on a bad run of form at the moment, but personally I don’t think they will go down - I think they are a better team than the league table suggests. Recently they lost at home to Man Utd 0-2, but the scoreline hardly did them justice.
Struggling teams are not always "easy meat" as Arsenal found out the other week when Birmingham City went away from the Emirates stadium with a point.
The danger for us is that we become impatient if things don’t go well for us from the start. After all it doesn’t matter if we get the goals late on in the match or in the first half - as long as we get more than them !!!
So let’s not be " Dreading Reading" let’s be respecting them................and of course beating them !!!!
Dave Wilson
11   Posted 07/02/2008 at 13:08:19

I think our boys feel a burning sense of injustice after the last two games, I dont expect us to be relying on the offiicials doing their job this time around
Know what you mean though Patty
Stuart Mitchell
12   Posted 07/02/2008 at 13:42:48

Peter

Roger = Joleon Lescott
Allan Hobbs
13   Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:36:21

Forgive my ignorance, but why Roger?

Federer?

De Coursey?

Rabbit?

Is he good at tennis? Does he look like a bear? Does he resemble a rabbit?

I have to admit I’m stumped.
Gavin Ramejkis
14   Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:45:23

I admit I’m stumped on the Roger bit but heard its what the other players call him.

With the goals Reading are conceding at the moment we really should be giving them a good tonking on Saturday not perhaps quite a Sunderland but certainly going that way. I’m going for a home win and lady boy less RS a good tonking by Chelski
bM
15   Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:44:22

I think we should call him Worf,

he looks a bit like a klingon (from star trek)
Chris Sill
16   Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:53:33

Joleon - Jolly

Jolly Roger
David Nicholls
17   Posted 07/02/2008 at 15:44:54

I’d be absolutely gutted if we didn’t take 3 points on Saturday, Peanut aside we can put our strongest team out on Saturday so I’m very confident of convincing win. Besides I reckon we owe Coppell a spanking, I’m still haunted by memories of a childhood Sunday afternoon when I balled my eyes out after seeing us get drubbed off Palace in the Zenith Data Systems Cup final. Remember that one? And some people call the UEFA Cup Mickey Mouse!
Martin Cutler
18   Posted 07/02/2008 at 16:34:25

We must beat Reading. Regardless of our history with them this Saturdays game is a must win.....because it’s a "relatively" easy game and we must win those to keep in contention.
Any team down to, and including, West Ham are a threat to the 4th spot....WH have a game in hand which if they win...and if they also win on a weekend where we lose, they will only be two points behind us....that’s how close it is (all if’s and but’s I know but it IS undeniably that close!).

I personally think we’ll put several goals past Reading.....the return of Yak and Yobo and the presence of Pienaar (even if he doesn’t play) will provide a massive boost for the team.
From here on in, barring further injuries and sloppy referee’s, there are no excuses....we are pretty much at full strength for the remainder.....as I said in another post.....it is up to us to keep hold of the 4th spot!

Yak for a hat-trick on Saturday!

COYB!
Trudy Boston
19   Posted 07/02/2008 at 16:34:12

A home game with reading on current form and with the difference in quality of players between the two teams then satudays outcome should be a forgone conclusion. Of course steve coppells outfit are no pushovers, they managed to beat merseysides finest at their own stadium earlier this campaign.

While its worth noting that no everton side has beaten reading at goodison in the league since 1931, the days of buster keaton and al capone, that statistic can hopefully be put to rights in the weekends encounter.

I was perusing the upcoming fixtures. And with the exception of a trip to manchester city, i dont really see an awful lot to be worried over. After the three points with reading, theres more points to be taken with battles with portsmouth at goodison and a trip to wearside to face roy keanes charges.

Add to that the double header with Brann Bergen , second leg at goodison which works better in my opinion, then fourth place can be achieved- again, and with the RS having some tough looking fixtures away from the cesspool of anfield then we can look forward to the close of the season with some anticipation.
Gavin Ramejkis
20   Posted 07/02/2008 at 16:47:08

BM I’ve been calling him Worf since he came, always shout that when he comes up to the Park End to attack a corner, what a nappa!
David Barks
21   Posted 07/02/2008 at 16:58:30

This is a game that we should win. I expect a run like we had after the injustice of the derby. We played well in our last game and should have had two goals. We should have enough fire power to win this game. The worst part is over now. We came through the Africa Cup in 4th position, not many would have thought that could happen. We will have Pienaar back for the UEFA Cup, Fernandes improves our midfield, we could still get our hands on a trophy this season.
mick Mac
22   Posted 07/02/2008 at 17:19:13

Lescott = Denzil only fools and horses
Jimmy Rooney
23   Posted 07/02/2008 at 17:27:52

Jolly Roger, the kipper nicknamed him. 2-0 saturday Johnson & Fernandes
Allan Hobbs
24   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:34:51

Gavin, I’m sure he’s thrilled that you’ve given him such a complimentary nickname - make sure you shout it good n loud won’t you.