Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The most disappointing thing being a Blue

Just read the article, It?s Offside this Onside Rule? and I must admit I agree with most of it. But it had me thinking, what has been the most single disappointing thing that has happened while supporting Everton. There are obvious things like losing F.A. Cup finals and the Europe ban, but the more I give it some thought, it occurred to me that for me it was the appointment of Mike Walker and the optimism people had when he got the job.

He had taken Norwich to the San Siro and played some great football, I remember thinking, this is the manager to take us forward. How wrong I was, he was the worse manager in our history. Just wondering what other people's biggest disappointments have been. Not trying to bring any doom and gloom, but we all know our best moments and I am getting a bit fed up with some posts slagging current players off.
James Murphy, Liverpool     Posted 07/02/2008 at 12:44:32

Comments

Mick Dempsey
1   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:32:07

Istanbul 2005
Tony Marsh
2   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:39:05

The bright sparks at Bellfield telling Ian Rush he wouldnt make the grade.The rest is history unfortunately for us.
Tommy Banks
3   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:39:15

Fuck me you could write a book about Everton hard luck stories and heart breaks, Rooney leaving, Fa Cup 85, 86, 89, Semi 77, but the most disappointing single thing is when Everton Fans voted to leave goodison park, it ripped the fans apart and depressed me big time.
Gerry Quinn
4   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:43:21

The derby match when it hit Hutchisons back and rolled over the line with the last kick of the match. Did Everton win?
No, seen off by yet another "bent" referee who then lied about blowing his whistle for time!
Gerry Quinn
5   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:47:33

The derby match in the cup when Bryan Hamilton scored a perfectly legitimate winner for it to be cancelled by another bent referee.......hang on, is there a theme developing here?
Gerry Quinn
6   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:50:47

The derby match where twat G sways the bent referee, where the bent referee thinks Kuyts tackle is legitimately legal and where Carrot-hair pulls down Lescott.................and the bent referee continues to get decisions wrong.........whoa, wait a minute, is it only at derby matches where I’m seeing things differently.......
Kenny Jones
7   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:48:12

I am 46 now and to be honest its been more bad times than good times but that is what being a blue is all about, but one thing that realy hurt was when Rooney left I know hes a shit now, but I will always remember driving up to Southport with the kids and it came on the Radio that he had officialy signed, even though I knew he was going, I just looked at my 13 year old lad and he had tears in his eyes and I thought what the fuck are Everton about breaking every kids heart who supported Everton, I even had a tear myself not for Rooney but for my boy.
Gerry Quinn
8   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:55:24

I hate derby matches - no, wrong, I hate referees!
End of whinges....
Brian Donnelly
9   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:55:11

Getting rid of Alan Ball, but that will be dwarfed into insignificance if the Kirkby thing ever goes ahead.
tommy jones
10   Posted 07/02/2008 at 18:56:15

I am only 14 and had never been to a derby game, I live in Germany through my Dads Job, anyway this seasons derby for me heart breaking not so much the score but was so disappointed with the ref I couldnt believe a referee could blatntly cheat like that, he ruined my day, weekend away and I just wanted to smash Clattenburg right in the face, but I know we will beat them next time and justice will be done.
Rich Williams
11   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:12:30

The European ban after 1985 and Rooney leaving
John Doolan
12   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:15:48

Istanbul and the 1986 cup final - both left mental scars that will never heal
Mike Hughes
13   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:29:18

My worst pure EFC memory was the FA Cup Final defeat to RS.

My worst football memory was Istanbul 2005. I was in Florence with work and on my own. Got into a bar for the match with some Italians and have never been so happy in my life at half time. I’ve also never sobered up so quickly. I woke up in hotel room the next morning hoping that the T.V. would report some mistake and that AC had really won it. A really horrible memory. Spawny b------s.
Mike Hughes
14   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:29:18

My worst pure EFC memory was the FA Cup Final defeat to RS.

Micky Norman
15   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:32:55

Kendall going to Spain
Ed Fitzgerald
16   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:23:39

Players we have lost that should have had long careers at Everton

Rooney
Rush
McMahon
Owen
McManaman

Letting a fucking treble slip through our fingers in 1985 - What a moment that would have been
Letting a double slip through fingers the year after - and giving it to the RS

Carlise 3 Everton 0
Everton 2 Carlise 3
In the 74-75 season to piss the title away

Of course there are many more, and some of pure shame like the many times I have barely said a word to family and friends, because of Evertons poor performance, thankfully I have mellowed over the years and the days of behaving like the dad who supports Barnstonworth United in Michael Palins Ripping Yarns have gone.

Moving to Kirkby, Football clubs being talked of as brands - thats enough!
Rob Lloyd
17   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:34:02

1) 1986 Cup Final v RS
2) 1977 S-F v RS
3) 1971 S-F v RS
4) 1989 Cup Final v RS
5) 0-5 at home to RS (1982) -( the ’Glen Keeley’ Derby )
6) ( maybe 1) Istanbul 2005
Barry Cass
18   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:36:09

Not quite a memory but the day those red bastards where founded !!

Wembley 1985 we would have done the double before the RS.

Istanbul 2005 !!! How can a club be so lucky ???

Villarreal !!

1990-2005 !!!! Thank god its got better as the more I remember the more it hurts !

Come on Yak smash a hat trick and chear us all up again !
Barry Cass
19   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:45:12

Sorry just realised I had forgotten about 1995 and the FA Cup !!! Was thinking on a purely league basis !!

Trevor Thompson
20   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:47:47

The ’89 cup final. My first season as a blue and we got to the final great! McCall equalises twice great! Rush scores the winner, not so great! I was almost in tears.
Richard Murray
21   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:51:47

I can’t believe how many people are putting Istanbul.
Darren Manning
22   Posted 07/02/2008 at 19:58:08

The Kings Dock Fiasco.
Mick Simo
23   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:06:54

There is nothing worse for any Evertonian than the Euro ban in 85, a team at the peak of its powers, young team great team and it was all snatched away from, the next generation of blues fans. The team split up, the manager left and we went into the wilderness for next 20 years, relegation, money problems, which still haunt us today, we was on the verge of greatness and Sky and the money bags of the premiere league was in touching distance. For me nothing can compare to hurt that that ban caused Everton. I sometimes think imagine if Kendall would have took over 5 years later than he did, where we might have been now, we was the best for them few years Man United were shit and the only other club was RS. But am not bitter
Jeff Leahey
24   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:02:35

Glen Keeley’s debut.
Paul Davis
25   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:17:00

Supporting EFC is a roller coaster ride and I am old enough to remember us winning 4 league titles, 63.69. 85 & 87. But Everton Football Club have broke my heart on many occasions, but the European ban in 85 will go down as the worst and it was nothing to do with us. At the time I never thought that the impact would be so bad, thought few more years we will be back in and we will carry on where we left off, but the years went by and it became a distant memory and it was then it hit me and that is when the deep disapointment set in and is still there today.
Jimmy Rooney
26   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:27:30

1986 through the league away at Oxford
Alan Clarke
27   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:32:36

Seeing my Grandpa in tears as Rush stuck his 3rd goal in in 1986. Being only young at the time though, it really taught me what being an Evertonian was about and how much it hurt to lose to the shite.
Mark Stone
28   Posted 07/02/2008 at 21:06:56

Everyone keeps saying Rooney leaving - I think it’s the best thing that’s happenned to us in years!
Paul Simpson
29   Posted 07/02/2008 at 21:03:57

So many heart breakes to list, our latest lescotts OG in the 93 minute. But off the pitch the Kings Dock, that was our road to evertything in my opinion, great stadium, city centre stadium, on every tourists photos and every post card posted around the world. Imagine being in town doing a bit of shopping and hearing the roar of the crowd. Ah well we have always got Kirkby
Keith Edmunds
30   Posted 07/02/2008 at 21:11:29

A lot of these hurt at the time, but after all these years I still remember the disbelief of Alan Ball leaving.
Kenny Jones
31   Posted 07/02/2008 at 21:14:51

I think at that moment it was devasting for the Evertonians Mark, just lit up Euro 04 and he was ours and we was proud of that, I remember being at both Arsenal and Leeds and the pride amoung every toffee was fantastic, then he was snatched away, in retrospect yes it probably was the best thing that happend but at the time it was cruel.
Anj Stam
32   Posted 07/02/2008 at 21:15:58

Definitely the Euro ban (couldve been part of the ?sky5? today) and every time we lose to the RS.
Gavin Ramejkis
33   Posted 07/02/2008 at 22:06:54

Kirkby, Kenwright’s lies and that joke Wyness is still here - just drive past the King’s Dock and try not to be angry and think of Kirkby.
lewis abbott
34   Posted 07/02/2008 at 23:39:21

As i am only a teenager and my everton memory is still pretty fresh as even though i sat through the 90’s i never realy understood the passion.

I would have to say for me it was the first leg of the semi final against chelsea the other month. I was sitting in the shed end speechless of ’how did we miss that chance again’. When they went a man down and we equalised we should have beat them there and then. I felt let down as a fan

I would also say villareal was pretty gutting too but we played well and were unlucky so in the end i dont mind so much. I think we are a stronger team from that game.

Also everytime the reff robs everton in favour of brown nosing the ’sky 4’. I was sitting there at blackburn honestly in disbelief of what i was seeing from the linesman(who i was inline with). I have never seen such a biased display from a pro ever....

COYB
roy coyne
35   Posted 08/02/2008 at 01:39:04

Telling Bally how gutted I was when he left nd him saying he felt the same.
Losing the dock
Kirkby
Bradford 3 us 0 I was only a kid and I cried in the fa cup
roy coyne
36   Posted 08/02/2008 at 01:47:06

No I didnt cry in the cup the game was a cup tie
John Lloyd
37   Posted 08/02/2008 at 12:15:52

I too cant believe that anyone has put a kopite moment down (istanbul2005).

But mine are:Villareal, followed by bucharest......awful.

Euro Ban in 85

Cup final 85, 86 but worse was 89.

Hutchison derby (poll = twat)

Norwich 5-1 at goodison

Mike Walker (the fuckin whole era!)

Selling Kanchelskis & ferguson

All of the above are always forgotten by the (too few) good times but at the same time all of them will be dwarfed if project Kirkby goes ahead.
Rob Jones
38   Posted 08/02/2008 at 12:52:47

Obviously at 15 years old the Euro Ban isn’t a memory of mine but I just can’t help thinking that we’d still be a world super power team like the big 3 if we’d gone on to win the EC.l

My worst memories

1)Big Dunc going the 1st time (not easy seeing your hero go when you’re 7-8)

2) Shrewsbury (Never heard the end of it

3)Selling Rooney ( 3 weeks earlier I’d named my new Spaniel Rooney and also terrible feeling to think that it’s all downhill from there)

4) Royle Going

5) This years Derby

6) Villareal

7) Bucharest

8) Oldham

BTW these are in no particular order
Rob Jones
39   Posted 08/02/2008 at 13:08:47

forgot to mention on 3) in hindsight best thing thats happened to us while I’ve been supporting them
John Scully
40   Posted 08/02/2008 at 14:55:17

Missing out on Kings dock and Everton 0 Tranmere 3
Tony Waring
41   Posted 08/02/2008 at 16:41:15

The 1985 Euro ban. We would have gone on to beat any and everyone in sight with that squad.
The RS managed to arrange that for us as well !
Derek Thomas
42   Posted 09/02/2008 at 05:03:21

Disappointments seem to hurt less the more you have, the older thus you get.So for me the ones that hurt the most are those when I was young.

After going off and on from 1958 and to every home game in 1962-63. The new season dawned with us as Champions and a couple of games into the season, after 5 years, nearly half of my life, to finally find out that Everton were not unbeatable. Along come Burnley to paste us . Then for B’burn to do the same. Then the Leeds fiasco, with Sandy Brown sent off and the game suspended and you think Reffs are bad now!!

The 65 derby 5-0 at anfield, in fact ALL!! DERBIES we lose

Moving on to 1967 Vs Forest, 2-0 up and coasting, surrendering the initiative and losing 3-2.

The 68 Cup final.

The 69 semi, spending, for then, shitloads on extra large King Edward cigars to pass around when we won ( ha )

The Sandy Brown Derby

The League cup final and replays

Clive Thomas.... NO relation!!

etc etc
James Martin
43   Posted 09/02/2008 at 18:48:17

Seeing us win the league in 1915 only for the fucking first world war to start and then lightning striking again in 1939. Fucking red shite German bastards. Robbed us of Tommy Lawton’s best years. Now there was a real number 9. And to think, I have to listen to people raving about Duncan Ferguson and moaning about European bans. I wouldn’t have minded a European ban in 1939 I can tell you. You lot don’t know you’re born.