Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Summer Signings

Just watched the USA V Mexico game. Ended 2-2. Howard made three or four very good saves. Good game, end to end stuff. The US gave Jozy Altidiere his debut, 18 yrs old, center forward, and, he was very good, scored with a cracking header, but, was very impressed with Michael Bradley. He is 20, six feet tall left-sided midfield player, playing for Herenveen in Holland. Has scored something like 12 goals in 24 games, but is considered a defensive mid fielder.

Very athletic, and very strong in the tackle. Would not command a huge fee, and, is the mold that Moyse is looking for. I assume Howard would give Moyes a heads up.
Jimmy Daly, Alabama, USA     Posted 07/02/2008 at 14:05:13

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Where you been, Jimmy? Moyesey tried to prise him away from Heerenveen for £3.5m two weeks ago but was told to get lost. He may try again in the summer.
Erik Dols
1   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:12:00

By whom is he considered a defensive midfielder then, Jimmy? Everyone in the Netherlands sees him as the attacking midfielder he is. Hardly ever saw him make a tackle.
albert velthuijsen
2   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:50:03

I didn’t see him.
Jimmy Daly
3   Posted 07/02/2008 at 20:44:02

Erik, Obviously I do not have your insight into the prowess of the player, however, I watched the whole game last night, and he played defensive midfield. Now, as he has scored 12 or so this season, I would not be surprised that he is an attacking midfielder. My previouse thread maybe should have read,"defensive midfielder whilst representing the US".
Any way you construe it, he is obviously worth looking at.
Linden, I had read of EFC’S interest, but, thought it was more on a loan basis.
David Barks
4   Posted 08/02/2008 at 00:37:21

Michael Bradley is a box to box midfielder. Until this season in Holland he was not a prolific goal scorer. He was employed as a defensive midfielder last night for the US, and he does like to make a hard tackle, the problem is he picks up a lot of cards for doing so. I would love to see him come to Everton, he’s a very good young player.
Paul Lenehan
5   Posted 08/02/2008 at 09:40:59

I think it ws left that Moyes was prepared to wait until to the summer before making a serious move for him. I could be wrong but isn’t he in the last 18 -12 months of his contract so will further decrease what you could expect to pay for him
Jelly Moons
6   Posted 08/02/2008 at 10:44:18

why dont u all just fuck off and get relegated
Paul Lenehan
7   Posted 08/02/2008 at 11:04:55

Good man Jelly. Are you that lonely? have you no friends? surely your family still like you. Thats a nice name you have.
Rob Jones
8   Posted 08/02/2008 at 12:17:27

Lmao why is it that everytime we go above them RS fans with nothing to do except shag their dogs come on our site with daft names (Jelly, Honda) and spout this bizarre nonsense?

On MB he would be a good signing probably but has he played in 75% of USA games in the last 3 yrs? thats the standard you need for a work permit unless you are in the Top 3 or support our ever friendly neighbours.
Damian Scott
9   Posted 08/02/2008 at 12:52:40

I was over in the US for most of last summer. I saw Jozy Altidore play a few times for NY Red Bulls. He was playing up front along side Juan Pablo Angel.

Good partnership, but Altidore I was quite impressed with. Similar type of player to Anichebe, but has a lot, lot more pace..... Definitely one for the future.
James Martin
10   Posted 09/02/2008 at 18:25:40

There was a write up on Altidore in the Spanish press a couple of months ago, due to supposed interest from Real Madrid. Sounded like a very interesting player but personally I haven’t seen him.

ps. Jelly. get it out your system lad. Considering the rs have got to play Chelsea, Manure and The Arse in their next four games, it’s understandable if you’re feeling a bit depressed. But look on the bright side. there’s always next season.
Paul Columb
11   Posted 10/02/2008 at 20:17:35

Posting this as I have a genuine interest in how people feel Portsmouth's Diarra could fit in with our evolving style of play...sooner rather than later he'll be looking to move to, dare I say it, a 'bigger club'. Been very impressed with his skills.
Anj Stam
12   Posted 10/02/2008 at 23:55:22

Looking at our squad now we pretty much cover all bases, probably can do with another attacking midfielder, with up & coming/quality players. I think that come summer, Moyes MUST bring in a quality player for RB position who not only can defend well, but is capable of good ball distribution. Neville plays OK there but as we all know his ball(passing/crossing) decisions are very poor and predictable (always looking for Arteta). Hibbo has played well there in the past but again he gives away silly fouls and to be honest he overcommits in his tackles which leads to the inevidable red card every now/ then. I think that while Jags, Yobs & Jole are playing superbly in their roles, RB is our weakest link, has been for a while, and needs urgent attention at the end of the season.