Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Lack of Respect

Yakubu, what a fool. He?s shown no respect for David Moyes, and stuck his fingers up at us fans. Just when we thought the African Nations effect had passed, it returns to spoil our fun. Just when we began to cheer Nigeria and South Africa?s early exit, we find that, Joseph Yobo apart, we are no better off.

Yobo was with him in Ghana, and would have warned Yakubu against going to Lagos. But Yakubu clearly weighed up his priorities and decided he would risk incurring Davie?s wrath.

Yakubu was always going to struggle to win over the fans due to his casual manner on the football pitch. But there is no doubt that he is an excellent goalscorer, and could well be the difference between Champions League and UEFA cup qualification.

What makes my blood boil about this is that Yakubu knew he would be late, and would miss all the training prior to the Reading game. So he is effectively stating that he didn?t want to play for us on Saturday. Is this the kind of person we want to pull on the Royal blue shirt? How difficult will it be for the fans to get behind him and cheer him after such a public snub?

The bottom line is that Everton pay his wages, and thus should be his priority. Cahill went to the far side of the world during midweek and still tried to make it back on time. Yakubu has had all week to travel home and couldn?t be bothered rushing.

Now we all know how stubborn David Moyes can be, so is there any way that this situation ends well? If Moyes allows him back in the team, at the expense of Andy Johnson or James Vaughan, who have both been thoroughly professional, attending training and making themselves available, how annoyed would they be? I?d be bloody furious.

But we have been desperately short of goals without Yakubu. Desperately. No goals in three games. We?ve been playing good football, but not had the class up front to put them away. If only we had someone like Yakubu who WANTED to play football for us.

So does Moyes send him straight back into the team for Brann Bergen and risk losing the respect of the other players who HAVE shown respect, or does he exclude him at the possible detriment to our chances of progressing in Europe? Either way, I?m really hacked off with Yakubu. Grrr....
Joe Wightman, Gwent     Posted 08/02/2008 at 15:59:10

Comments

Paul Powers
1   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:00:28

I say Bollock him, Fine him, Then play him and tell him if he scores an hatrick he can have his fine back!
Micheal Lynch
2   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:05:05

Find the Yak and he will score
Martin Cutler
3   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:04:57

I’m pissed because I predicted he’d score a hat-trick tomorrow against Reading!
But seriously, this is strictly down to Moyes to deal with.....I have 100% confidence that he will handle the situation well, as he has already shown by dropping him for tomorrow’s game...and rightly so.
This is NOT a situation where the media is going to know the full story and EFC haven’t elaborated -- which is fine -- they should indeed handle it internally, quietly and without fuss...in other words NOT the RS way of doing things!

I’m sure he had his reasons for doing what he did, even though to us it looks like bad-decision making on his part....hopefully Moyes can sort the lad out so it doesn’t happen again.

All that said....once he starts playing again we should be behind The Yak 100%...he’ll be wearing the blue shirt, that’s good enough for me!

Everton 3 v Reading 0 (Johnson hat-trick????)

COYB!!!
Colin Malone
4   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:11:08

Give him a break, He was in he,s home country, with family and friends that he dont see very often. Media are making a drama out of it. Did they expect him to get the next possible plane after the final whistle?
Robbie Skinley
5   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:19:04

Am so disappointed with Yak over this. Really hope it turns out there was some good reason for this, but at the moment seems like the negative things we were told about him could be true.
I’ve been a big supporter of signing Yak & even argued with people who criticised him when he first arrived as I thought he’d had no pre-season & needed time to settle in.
But to do this when Joseph & Tim have managed to drag their arses back quickly just smacks of a bad attitude & no regard for the manager, other players or fans & I worry what effect this could have on squad morale if he plays ahead of other players who have been more professional.

Either way he owes us big over this one
Tony Williams
6   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:30:23

Moyes need to take him the pub, both get pissed and twat seven kinds of shit out of each other then give each other a manly hug and forget about it.

Bench for the Brann game to come on fresh as a daisy and score a second half hattrick.

Nurse, I think these pills are working
Connor Rohrer
7   Posted 08/02/2008 at 19:58:39

"How difficult will it be for the fans to get behind him and cheer him after such a public snub?"

I think everyone will be fine with it personally. Shandy springs to mind. Despite having 5/6 warnings Andy Van Der Meyde still gets an applause every time he’s on the bench. Considering Van’s never actually done fuck all for the club I’d expect Yak’s reception to be fine.

He doesn’t deserve to play on Saturday and he should be fined for what he has done but that is it. Hopefully he learns and gets his arse into gear. Everyone makes mistakes in every day of life and Footballers are no different.

In my opinion, we should set Vaughan onto Reading.
Paul Niklas
8   Posted 08/02/2008 at 20:12:41

COLIN MALONE

the answer is yes.

50k a week says that.
Peter Hall
9   Posted 08/02/2008 at 20:11:04

I go with Colin Malone on this. Life can be cheap in Africa and the opportunity to visit friends & family more valuable in consequence.

Think how we would feel if it were the other way round. YOu’re playing for Lagos and are dropping in to [poor old Britain for the Euro Nations Cup, held every two years to the condemnation of the African big bosses. You go out unexpectedly and you getr a chance to visit the folks back home. OK you’re on a million rand a dayand the supporters don’t care about your family. What would you do?

If Moyesy is wise he will have a sharp word, remind him how to use his mobile, tell him he’s not ready for tomorrow and that he owes us one. Or two or three.
Dave Turner
10   Posted 08/02/2008 at 20:28:47

Hang on a minute, there is no excuse for what Yak has done, he could have at least called.

But a post going on about respect to us and you put.

"Just when we began to cheer Nigeria and South Africa?s early exit, we find that, Joseph Yobo apart, we are no better off."

Isn’t that showing a lack of respect to the players somewhat?

I wasn’t happy they were going but I wished them the best while they were there, and yes I am happy they are back, but I wouldn’t say I was cheering their early exit.

And was staying an extra day such a big deal to be going as overboard as some of the reaction has been?? He is back, he has been fined and lost his game this weekend (though I liked the idea of letting him play and telling him he gets his money back with a hat-trick!).

He has stepped out of line and recieved his punishment from the club, what interests me is how that affects him when he does come back. I hope he just gets on with it and starts scoring, then it can all be forgotton.

Phil Jones
11   Posted 08/02/2008 at 20:35:06

He was home, yes, but c’mon Colin, what’s the difference between him and Yobo, both Nigerians? One showed respect for the coach, one didn’t. What this shows me is the Yak had started working a little harded, upped his game, went off to ACN, and got lazy all over again. I know he has family in Nigeria, but so does Yobo. What he says with his actions is "What I want is more important than what my employer wants". The house his Mom lives in, we paid for it. It’s a pretty selfish thing he’s done.

I don’t accept the whole "oh, just fine him, whatever, and he’ll get back to scoring." What does this say to the other players? I’d like to see Moyes bend him over the fire for a while, break this indifferent spirit of his. It may not be a big deal to him, but it’s a big deal to us. What if we were playing the Shite this weekend? No, I personally don’t think he gets it, he’s never gottenit. He’s a wonderful player, and he’s probably a lovely bloke in person, but he treats this wonderful rpiviledge he has to play in the greatest league in the world, in one of the greatest and most traditional teams in the world (he’s playing on the same pitch as Dixie, people!), getting paid God knows how much, and he wants three extra days at mom’s house? ON 40,000 POUNDS A WEEK HE OUGHT TO FLY HER ASS OVER TO THE UK!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this will get his attention, and Ireally hope it does. But you can’t be a footballer forever, so go visit your fam when you’re done, dude. You have the offseason. It’s a bitch to be away from family, I know, I lived in a boarding house for years, but life isn’t perfect. But at 40,000 pounds a week, you cope, ya know?!
Dutch Schaffaer
12   Posted 08/02/2008 at 21:26:53

Yakubu has a history of this sort of thing. He dumps clubs for more money (Portsmouth), loses interest & form (Boro) and now shows no respect to his manager or teammates.

Yakubu is a very good player but his attitude sucks and that’s one of the reason’s I had doubts about signing him.

If Tony Hibbert had done this sort of thing everyone would be screaming for Moyes to get rid of him. I don’t see why Yakubu should be let off the hook.
Alan Ryder
13   Posted 08/02/2008 at 21:29:49

The money’s he’s on he can pay for his family to come over here. It doesn’t wash he needs sorting out good style and quick.

Sack the Yak, no.
Back the Yak, not yet.
Crack the Yak......Over to you Davie.
Dick Fearon
14   Posted 08/02/2008 at 21:23:26

My final words on the Yak Fiasco.
1. He will have to do exceptionally well over a long period to redeem himself.
2. Why was the clubs OS and the Echo silent when the rest of the world news was blaring it from the roof tops.
3. Can we expect a public explanation or at least an appology from him or his agent?
4. Provided it is not with a gentle slap on the wrist, David Moyes has my complete support on how he deals with him.
5. Lets not hear any more bullshit when Cahill next plays for Australia.

Colin Malone
15   Posted 08/02/2008 at 21:35:44

You would think we had interpol out looking for him. He was a couple of days late FFS, Lets get behind the lad. He makes a massive difference to our team. FEED THE YAK AND HE WILL SCORE.

May be Yobo has family and girlfriend over here.
Kristian Boyce
16   Posted 08/02/2008 at 21:49:29

Obviously this has pissed a number of people off, but how many people have pulled a ’sicky’ the day they’ve meant to go back to work after a holiday?
As a high profile person its harder to do, but really its the same as us doing a bunk off work, but he’s actions affect a heck of alot more people than us doing it.
jayharris
17   Posted 08/02/2008 at 23:17:02

In a difficult week with players away on International duty Moyes has to prepare the squad.
Yak was supposed to report for training on Wednesday and didnt.
Although we will miss his goal threat and link up play it is more important to keep team discipline and respect.
He needs to eat humble pie something he apparently is not good at.
THERE ARE NO EXCUSES for failure.
Derek Thomas
18   Posted 08/02/2008 at 23:31:47

The ACN has many days to run yet and The Club must have allowed for all or any of them to turn up a couple of days after the final.

Maybe the Yak thought they would go further and ’ gifted ’ himself a little brucie bonus from the ’ unused ’ days, use them or lose them, ’ mental health days ’.

His Family is so near and Goodison so far away, Who hasn’t threw in the odd sickie now and again, ’ let he who is without sin cast the first stone ’.

Look at it another way, I don’t know which headline is worse...

YAKUBU SNUBS FAMILY....

Or,

CLUB FORCES PLAYER TO SNUB FAMILY

A headline I’d like to see....

CLUB FINE DONATED TO NIGERIAN CHARITY

Now thats proper PR.

In week were the PL want to Whore themselves around the Far East, (all fur coat and no knickers if ever there was)

Fudging a couple of days off to see your family is well down the list.
sean condon
19   Posted 08/02/2008 at 23:52:37

This is a tough one. If I were the manager i’d be sorely tempted to include him tomorrow simply because he possesses the most important skill in the game-and has it in spades. However, he does appear to have the maturity of a small child and therefore should probably be treated as one.
Hopefully this will give JV a wonderful opportunity to parade his talents in front of an adoring public for 90min.
Cos if I turn on the widescreen at 7a.m. tomorrow and see 4-5-1 (AJ being the one) i’m gonna shit my fucking pants.
Anthoney Welsh
20   Posted 09/02/2008 at 00:00:52

The thing is that he has pulled these stunts before and Moyes specifically addressed this issue with him beforehand. Think of the poor scally working over time to pay for his kid with a gimp leg to go to the game this week. Yakubu got paid approx 6 grand on Wednesday and another 6 grand on Thursday for not showing up to work and not even bothering to call. 12 grand for 2 days of slacking ! He might as well have taken a dump outside the poor scallys terraced home to show what little regard he has for the fellows hard earned money.
sean condon
21   Posted 09/02/2008 at 00:28:26

Off-topic I know, but I couldn’t fail to notice that the Fat Spanish Waiter isn’t happy that the pretty boy who’s always playing with his hair has been crocked while on duty for Spain.
Ooh, is that the FA and FIFA I see, getting together to discuss this important critique of policy.
Really, it’s too bad Rooney and Rio weren’t hurt on Wednesday. That undoubtedly would’ve put paid to these stupid fucking mid-season friendlies tout suite.
roy coyne
22   Posted 09/02/2008 at 01:15:39

He has been fined and dropped even if as I think we are more bothered than him,so inform him if it happens again hes gone as we do not have slackers here then draw a line under it and get back to positive thoughts about the rest of the season
Tony Parks
23   Posted 09/02/2008 at 01:39:33

Stop playing the race card Dutch Schaffer, your obviously a card carrying austrian neo-nazi with a political agenda for a quasi-state at Everton of arryan values. Feed the Yak and he will, I repeat most definetely score.
ean palese
24   Posted 09/02/2008 at 01:28:26

Are we upset because he is African and thusly had to go great distances in order to play in a tournament which has always been played during this stage of the season? We knew he would be gone when we picked him up - same as the rest of our well traveled internationals. We also hoped Nigeria would go out straight away, paving the way for his quick return. I think we all are being a bit selfish over the matter. We have not taken into account the family members he has not seen in ages and perhaps personal matters that we do not know about. Yes, it was a deliberate breech of professionalism and he will pay the price. But do we really know all the facts or just what we want to hear or read? Sure I’m a little disappointed but he is a man and Family comes first no matter what. Bottom line is: he still looks good in blue!
Carl English
25   Posted 09/02/2008 at 08:27:21

I think there is a danger that everyone will get a bit carried away with all this Yak going AWOL business.

Yes, he has behaved in a disrepectful way to the club, to Moyes, the the other players and to the fans, but the best way he can repay us is by going out and banging plenty of goals in between now and the end of the season.

I’m sure people will soon forget then?????
norman cater
26   Posted 09/02/2008 at 08:53:19

Like the Boro fans The Yak was the best thing since sliced bread, now you will see
him in a different light as we did. The Yak is a lazy sod and will play only when it suits him. The Boro players were glad to get rid of him, they approached the chairman and asked him to sell Yakubu as when he played they only had 10 players on the pitch. You will be glad to get rid of him next season
Amanda H
27   Posted 09/02/2008 at 09:36:23

What I can’t believe is that EFC paid for 3 tickets (on consecutive flights) so he could ’get home’!

The guy is on £40k A WEEK!
It takes me a darn sight longer to earn that in a year - I don’t see Bill or Bully paying my petrol to get to the game!

If Yak wanted to play at the AFCoN he should have paid his own way.

It is unbelievable how pamper premiership players are. In particular a player who clearly cares not what colour shirt he wears as long as he gets his fat paycheck and monsterous signing on fee (£1.12m this time!).

Yak is going to have to make a lot of effort to get the Goodison faithful behind him.
mick Mac
28   Posted 09/02/2008 at 10:04:06

Sound like a gang of nagging old woman to me, he fucked up and now hes been dropped, its happend before with other players and the ANC, fuck me are all you people perfect and never fucked up once in your lives.
Dan J
29   Posted 09/02/2008 at 14:28:49

lets face it family or no family Joesph Yobo was straight back whilst the Yak stuck two fingers up and said sod it while I’m here I’m having an extra two days off.

I still dont think the Yak gets what it means to play for this club his attitude and effort when he first arrived summed him up. Ok since then hes shaped up but this is abig let down to the manager, his team matyes and us the fans.

Just hope we dont go a goal down on Sat and Reading decide to shut up shop as we may need somone of teh Yaks ability to dig us out of a hole.

lets face it hes let us down and a week in the dog house should see him right but lets not crucify him. I also hope Phil Neville gives him both barrels from the team as well.

alan mcguffog