Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Believe it or not ?

Before I begin let's make it clear that I have always been a supporter of Bill Kenwright whom I see as a true Evertonian although on occasion a very misguided one.

Let?s begin. Before one of our home games I was having a drink in the pub with a very good friend of mine and he told me a story about a consortium of investors from Ireland that wanted to invest/buy into Everton F.C.

This friend, through his business, knows people and mixes in the circles of people with the sort of money most of us can only dream about.

This group wrote to Kenwright asking for a meeting, assuring him they were serious and with the finances to put Everton back where it should be.

They got no response.

They again wrote to Kenwright but this time giving the letter to one Howard Kendall to deliver personally by hand, which he did.

Again no response.

All this guff that Kenwright puts out that he is constantly looking out for new investment is knocked into a cocked hat by this story. Kenwright didn?t even have the decency to reply in any form.

Believe it or not yourselves but I think it?s all true, I do not doubt for one second the integrity of my friend and why he would make such a story up.

This fella travels thousands of miles every year to follow the blues and is as rabid an Evertonian as you?ll ever meet. The punch line of the story is that this consortium switched their intentions to another club, which they successfully invested in.

That club is Sunderland and you may point out that it hasn?t got them very far but with the right management attitude etc. who knows where this may have ended. I don?t know the sort of money they have behind them but it?s got to be more than we have now.

I do not think that BK is looking for investors; in fact I think he?s actively discouraging them, frightened to death of giving up ownership of our great club.

If nothing else this story will add to the debate. COYB

John Kelly, Wirral     Posted 10/02/2008 at 03:02:42

Comments

Dick Fearon
1   Posted 10/02/2008 at 03:36:01

Picture the scene, a multi million pound investment offer has been made to BK.
Then it is made again and again and each time it is ignored.
had a whisper of it escaped the media and most fans would have had BKs balls for garters.
That ’Consortium’ offer must have been bound by a far more restrictive Tesco type secrecy clause.
Dave Wilson
2   Posted 10/02/2008 at 06:42:16

Sorry John

I’m no fan of BK’s, but surely these people didnt amass that sort of wealth by going after their targets in such a limp wristed manner, if they were so easily put off, what chance’s would we stand in the transfer market if they did Buy us out ?

I would love someone with serious financial clout to take over, but I believe its the size of our debt, thats makes us so unappealing, that coupled with the fact that all our assets are gone. BK cant be held totally responsible for that, but he more than anyone else, has contributed to making us a very unattractive business proposition.
You would not see BK or KW for dust if the K deal went through
Gavin Ramejkis
3   Posted 10/02/2008 at 09:20:52

Sorry Dave but most of the club’s debt has been incurred on Kenwright’s watch, tie that with the cold fact that Wyness has been allowed to seel the lot bar Goodison Park and the player’s contracts the club actually owns very little. I strongly suspect it is only DM’s hard work and team’s high finishing in the league and the latest injection of Sky money and Earl’s guarantor of loans that is keeping us afloat.

At least no one has called this posting a KEOIC plant yet.
Alan Clarke
4   Posted 10/02/2008 at 09:53:50

I know the debate is becoming boring but why does Kenwright want to sell anything now? He will make a lot more money once he’s moved us to Kirkby.

I think his’ true blue’ colours have been shown up in the last week by the fact he’s supported this 39th game abroad crap. Perhaps if the Kirkby thing falls through he may well move us to Thailand.
Micky Norman
5   Posted 10/02/2008 at 09:46:14

Just to throw a few cats into the pigeon loft: Where would we be now if we hadn’t gone into debt? Possibly in the lower end of the championship a la Sheff Weds or taken over by a sugar daddy like Villa. I’m no big fan of BK or KW but my bet, given our consistent record of mismanagement at the top would be with the first of the options. I think they have had no choice but to go into debt. The thing which does suggest to me that the Irish story might have a grain of truth in it is that there have been few investors sniffing around us - maybe the message has got around that BK wouldn’t sell whatever happened. I’m inclined not to believe it but would’t mind betting that if Kirkby goes tits up there might be a big change of mind.
ron leith
6   Posted 10/02/2008 at 11:10:09

There is no need to look at rumours. After we qualified for the Champions League there were well publicised meeting with peole interested in investing. I would also remid people that Robert Earl has come on board. Who knows what connections are open to him.

EFC will no doubt be a very attrctive investment if we finish 4th but more importantly if we get the Kirkby project through the planners. I am a planner and it is interesting that the Liberal Democrats who jump on every bandwagon in search of votes are supporting the no lobby.

Would it not be just typical that our main hope of investment could be scuppered by such low lifes as unprincipled politicians in a squalid battle for votes.
Brian Waring
7   Posted 10/02/2008 at 11:20:49

Ron, I was just thinking that Wyness would have made a good politician. Because, he used every trick in the book to convince people to vote yes,with promises of things for free, world class stadia, etc, etc.
Gavin Ramejkis
8   Posted 10/02/2008 at 11:56:52

Well said Brian add to that KW is the only person on the board who hasn’t invested a penny from their earnings at the club back into it in shares but then again isn’t he the top man at this stadium move company that he created then froze when he moved here and suddenly brought back to life when the Kirkby Wyness Gravy Train started?
Michael Hunt
9   Posted 10/02/2008 at 11:57:31

There is more chance of seeing a four leaf clover that that tale being true. To my mind, you may as well believe the moon is made of cheese.
Tony Connor
10   Posted 10/02/2008 at 12:20:49

I?ve been reading this board for about five years now with the very occasional contribution..one of which was removed because I likened somebody to a village idiot...seemingly more offensive than tit or cunt with the editorial staff.
I have disagreed with some, agreed with others, but without doubt the most discerning comment from anyone since I started reading is that of Ron Leith when he says the Lib Dems would sell their Grandmother for a couple of extra votes.
As another planner who deals with LD councillors on a daily basis I can confirm that these people likely have no interest whatsoever in the pros and cons of the Kirkby scheme...they merely see an opportunity to play to the gallery as a bogus peoples champion.

BTW Is the headline comment a KEIOC plant...?

Dave Southword
11   Posted 10/02/2008 at 13:56:45

If they were that serious about a takeover the wouldn’t give up on a potential commitment of tens or hundreds of millions of pounds after writing two letters.

If anyone wants to buy Bill out all they have to do is go to the media and lay their plans out there. Bill would have no choice but to reply and if the buyout gets the support of the fans then it would be game over.
Steve Lyth
12   Posted 10/02/2008 at 15:34:20

Gav, bully beef Keith has invested the same amount of money as me in our club, he owns two shares which probably cost him around £2,500.
Gavin Ramejkis
13   Posted 10/02/2008 at 15:49:19

Steve are you on over £400k a year too and running your own company at the same time?
Steven Mills
14   Posted 10/02/2008 at 18:37:52

Why would Kenwright accept investment from these people?
The Fortress Sports Fund cheque is in the post isnt it??
David Cornmell
15   Posted 10/02/2008 at 22:00:45

There’s not a doubt in {in my opinion} that this is a true story. How popular would Billy Bullshit be if he came out and said "It’s always been my dream to own Everton Football Club, and now I’ve achieved it. I’ll be fucked if I’m giving it up just because some richer bastards than myself could move the club forward far more quickly than I have".
Nope much easier to say "Looking for investment 24-7" whilst not returning phone calls, and chucking offers by mail straight in the bin.
There’d be many many rich folk out there willing to stick a quid in, especially with our fanbase, ownership of GP, manager and record at avoiding relegation.
Note I said rich folk - as opposed to rich Evertonians. A rich Evertonian desperate to take over would probably use the media to force Bills hand. Some rich bastard without a real preference would probably ask Bill if he’s interested in selling up, receive a "no" and then take their money where it is welcome....like Sunderland.
Niall Quinn
16   Posted 10/02/2008 at 22:26:13

Sunderland fan here - sorry, but the story is untrue. Our Irish consortium (the Drumaville Consortium) were hand picked by Niall Quinn and persuaded to invest in us, the consortium existed solely to purchase us. The gist of the story may be true but it wasn’t Drumaville who were interested.

Can’t comment on Kenwright - he’s always came across well to me but you’ll know far better than me. Good luck for the rest of the season and that, I can’t stand Liverpool so hope you’s take 4th.
Phillip Johnson
17   Posted 11/02/2008 at 10:02:12

Sorry to put a downer on this but Drumaville were brought together by Niall Quinn specifically to buy SAFC.

Prior to this he had been given the go ahead (in principal) by Bob Murray, following which, he then approached a number of Irishmen who he thought may be interested and Drumaville was born.

That is not to say that another group of Irish Investors were not interested in Everton - I have absolutely no idea on that score and maybe, just maybe, some of the same names were involved but it was not the Drumaville Consortium!!.
Steve Lyth
18   Posted 11/02/2008 at 12:41:27

Gav, I do run my own company but am a tad short of £400 k in earnings, turn over maybe but not earnings.
It says a lot about Keith that he is only prepared to invest in two shares as CEO of Everton FC and thats because he was told he had too at an AGM a couple of years ago.
Obviously must not think much of our financial prospects going forward !