Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

The League Table doesn't lie

Were 4th... and that?s:

• Despite having some injuries to key players.
  • Despite having one of the smallest squads in the Premier League.
  • Despite losing three of our best players for nearly a month.
  • Despite being robbed by incompetent referees.
  • Despite having midweek Uefa Cup matches.
A long way to go but this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons under Moyes ever. I?m pretty chuffed at the moment we?ve won 14 matches have a goal difference way over 10+ and have a good outside chance of nicking 4th. Who would have thought that at this stage of the season we would be in this position? We're even able to beat teams now whilst playing crap.

We're 4th in the table because, as of 10 Feb 2008, we are the 4th best team in the Premier League plain and simple.

COME ON EVERTON!!!!
Dan Johnson, Newcastle upon tyne     Posted 10/02/2008 at 14:20:23

Comments

Jeremy Benson
1   Posted 10/02/2008 at 18:56:57

Its signs of real progress as far as I’m concerned.

At the start of the season, someone asked me what my aspirations were for the campaign. My answer? "UEFA cup qualification, no matter which route". That might seem slightly pessimistic to some of our more rose-tinted fellow supporters, but to my mind, we need to be a reguar UEFA cup qualifier for 2 or 3 seasons before we can challenge for champions league. The experience will do us good, small steps, and all that.

I would of course be delighted with 4th spot - but at this point in time, to me, 4th spot means we are more than likely to finish top 6 and get that euro spot once more. Its good for the players, and whilst it might not be financially lucrative, it helps attract and hold players.

Thats real progress - two seasons running finishing a top 6 side. Not yo-yo’ing. Not mid-table obscurity. A force in the top 6, and with the likelihood of a sustained european campaign of >4 matches. Added to this a real outside threat of a cup - FA or carling. We should be aiming for quarters of either competition, depending on the draw we could go all the way. But no longer a regular early-round exit; just the occasional upset.
The Warrior
2   Posted 10/02/2008 at 20:26:59

"Despite having one of the smallest squads in the Premier League".

I disagree with that one to be honest. Fair enough the squad may not have the depth of the Sky "Big 4", but which other teams around us in the league have significantly bigger squads than ours? Not Villa, not City, not Blackburn. I’m struggling.

Also the comment about being robbed by incompetent referees; were you at Goodison yesterday when the ref didn’t bother taking any action against Carsley for the leg-breaker on Hunt in the first half?? I agree that some of the decisions which have gone against us in certain games this season have been awful (the Clattenburg Derby being the one that stands out the most), but we’ve had a fair share of crap decisions go in our favour as well.

There is no need to draw up a list of fictitious mitigating circumstances. The Moyes Boys are a cracking team and we’re having a great season. Long may it continue.
Dave Southword
3   Posted 10/02/2008 at 23:15:16

We are doing very well, and making a mockery of this Euro-Hangover bullshit that lesser teams like Liverpool excuse themselves with is terrific.

Next 5 matches vital. We are only 14 points behind Moyes best total of 61 with 12 games left. We could beat that by 6 or 7 points easily this season.
Jay Harris
4   Posted 10/02/2008 at 23:34:45

The Warrior... Are you having a laugh?

Carsley just went for the ball and Hunt went in high and got caught. Even his own players told him to calm down and shut up. They got a free kick which is all it deserved -end of. It?s not girl?s netball they?re playing.
Martin Cutler
5   Posted 11/02/2008 at 00:27:32

Jayharris...........I agree.
I watched that several times on replay and I couldn’t see what was so bad about it. The ref was right there.....the players around didn’t react....just Hunt.
If anything I’m surprised he wasn’t booked for protesting so much!!
David Moore
6   Posted 11/02/2008 at 08:46:34

Look at rightresult.net. They state that we should be 3rd not 4th. So if we don't get in to the CL we can rue the referee cock-ups!!!
Mark Murphy
7   Posted 11/02/2008 at 08:51:41

"a good outside chance of nicking 4th"

So why an "outside chance"? were fourth on merit and have a decent run in.

Why an "outside chance"???
Nick Flack
8   Posted 11/02/2008 at 08:49:34

With the other results as they were at the weekend, a scrappy win was brilliant. And then the shite do us the honourable thing and take points off Chelsea too...

I had the fortune of being sat in a pub listening to a room full of 'em whining. Mostly students too. Clueless. My mate looked embarrassed.

Anyway, 8 points behind 3rd and five very winnable matches before the derby while Chelsea have got four London derbies in that time and (I think) we will come out of the period with a game in hand.

Let's start to look ahead not over our shoulders. Those days are behind us.
Dan Johnson
9   Posted 11/02/2008 at 10:14:26

After wtaching the rugby last week my Mrs pissed herself laughing at Hunts reaction Carsleys tackle. Hunt was way way OTT bet even Carsley was havinga giggle.

HUNT GET A HAIR CUT YOU BIG GIRL!
Damian Wilde
10   Posted 11/02/2008 at 12:48:24

Good article Dan. And all those clubs below us who have spent far more money than us. Why having spent less money than a lot of them are we ahead of them? Good management, good players. Let’s hope it continues. Big match against City, would be great if we won there!
Gary Bennett
11   Posted 11/02/2008 at 13:24:17

If Hunt did the same to Carsley and he reacted to it the way Hunt did... you?d all be crying murder. They?re international teammates and shook hands soon after the incident, it?s obvious there was no malicious intent from Carsley but it was still a reckless challenge which Jon Obi would?ve been proud of.

I?m made up it went unpunished as it could so easily have been a 3 match suspension for arguably our most important player. Doesn?t mean I have to condone it though!
Tony Waring
12   Posted 11/02/2008 at 09:57:28

A pitch full of misplaced passes; scrappy action confined to the middle of the field; a dearth of scoring opportunities all of them missed. The Blues v Reading ? No, Chelsea versus the other lot... a pretty pathetic show. So we are well worth our fourth place after all!
Steve A
13   Posted 11/02/2008 at 18:20:09

Blimey Nick - positive thinking, thought I was on the wrong site for a mo!

Nice one.