Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

MP Andy Burnham

I have just been reading the article on the OS regading the new Secretary for Culture, Media & Sport, MP Andy Burnham. What interested me was the fact at how pro-the City his opinions were, with quotes such as "I?ve reminded the organiser of the capital of culture that there are two clubs that they should be celebrated equally this year". Now obviously a claimed life-long Evertonian from the City should be very proud of this fact, but it doesn't seem to sit well next to all of the official pro-Kirkby stuff that seems to populate the OS at the moment.

I wonder how long his views will be shown the light of day through official Club channels if he keeps this up?! It will be interesting to know what his views on a relocation to Kirkby are, and if Wyness and Co will try and butter him up as a heavy weight pro-Kirkby ally if the plan is "called in?".
Lee Smith, Great Yarmouth     Posted 11/02/2008 at 15:24:39

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
NSNO.co.uk reported last week that Andy Burnham was on local radio and said he is very much against the Kirkby relocation.
Kenneth Hartley
1   Posted 11/02/2008 at 22:11:39

I heard him on the radio last week and went on about his love for Goodison etc but hasn’t Kenwright told us that many times too?
Ed Fitzgerald
2   Posted 11/02/2008 at 22:30:15

One can only assume he is against it, lets face it if any kind of positive stance over Kirkby was taken by Andy Burnham Fat Boy and Luvvie Duvvie Bill would have had a joint orgasm and put it all over the website?
Lee Spargo
3   Posted 11/02/2008 at 23:42:26

who cares whether he’s for or aginst the move? we’ve had a vote - remember?

J.R. Kendall
4   Posted 12/02/2008 at 00:33:45

He’s a new Labour gravy train career politician, who got into politics at the tender age of 14 - like fellow nerd William Hague. Most normal kids his age actually start to be interested in the opposite sex while he was more interested in Margaret Beckett LOL.
Rob Jones
5   Posted 12/02/2008 at 00:40:14

So Kenneth you’re saying that a lifelong fan doesn’t love EFC?
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
6   Posted 12/02/2008 at 03:30:21

"who cares whether he?s for or aginst the move? we?ve had a vote - remember?"

Well, Lee, if Everton and Tesco are going to need help from Westminster to get the Kirkby proposal through then I would imagine the opinion of a Cabinet minister might be important to some degree.

The vote won’t count for anything if the whole thing gets called in and is killed by local opposition, will it?
Craig Ashford
7   Posted 12/02/2008 at 11:14:16

Just reading on the EFC official site about the Blue MP, I notice how he mentions sticking to your roots:

"I believe very strongly that football must never forget its roots and the roots of this football club was a church team that turned into a community team and then a professional football club and that?s the roots of the game and the reason why people are so loyal to clubs is their own personal identities, our own local identities. My family moved away when I was young from Liverpool but all my roots are here and that?s why they are so loved and inspire so much loyalty and if you forget that I think that you are forgetting something very precious about English football. So yes you can make English football successful on the World stage but always remember where they come from always remember how supporters feel about these clubs and never jeopardise that for more money."

Do you think this will/ he will try to impact on Blue Bill and keep EFC's stadium at its ROOTS!.........

Matt Geraghty
8   Posted 12/02/2008 at 20:25:54

Andy Burnham was in the year above me at school, and although I don’t know him personally, I do know that he’s a top lad. He was the same as most of us in the 1980’s - flare’s, Fila shirts, a wedge etc..
Ed Fitzgerald - you’re talking out of your arse mate. You don’t have any foundation to your remarks, and frankly, your comments smack of someone with zero ambition.
Pat Domingo
9   Posted 13/02/2008 at 00:44:01

Lyndon, "if Everton need help from Westminster" and "If it gets killed by local opposition"...and if my aunty had bollocks she’d be my uncle.
Talk about clutching at straws mate. Maybe if people respected the result of a fair vote we wouldn’t have so much needless garbage spouted. Was the MP asked on local radio if he was a democrat?!!!
Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
10   Posted 13/02/2008 at 06:28:42

Pat: "Talk about clutching at straws mate. Maybe if people respected the result of a fair vote we wouldn?t have so much needless garbage spouted."

You?re missing the point, Pat. It doesn?t matter how the vote went among Evertonians if the whole project dies on its arse because of local opposition among residents and businesses.

It?s not me clutching at straws ? how I feel on the issue doesn?t make any odds here ? because it?s not as big an "if" as it was a few months ago. Keith Wyness is e-mailing Kirkby-based Blues urging them to write to their local gubernatorial representatives in support of the stadium, an indication that he?s got the willies, and the Lib Dems are also reportedly opposed to it.