Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Am I merely passive?

I was having a chat with someone that doesn't know an awful lot about football (he thinks Newcastle are a bigger club than us FFS) and something he said got to me and made me think for a minute. He said because I don't go to our matches and I don't live in Liverpool, I'm just a passive fan.

I used to have a season ticket to GP for about 5 years until my dad left the RAF and could no longer afford it, I've always lived and breathed Everton but I just wanted to know if general consensus is that I'm just a Passive Fan rather than an obsesive True Blue as I currently see myself.
Rob Jones, Wrexham     Posted 12/02/2008 at 00:59:54

Comments

Peter pridgeon
1   Posted 12/02/2008 at 06:39:14

Rob
You need to get some self esteem and become who you think you are, not what the hard core football forum submitters say you are
Football is a great pass time and a good interest but its not life and death or even close to that.
Start by reading the newspaper and watching Al Jazeeera News, then consider the atrocities committed in Iraq all in the name of freedom and democracy and that will give you some perspective on where football should sit in your life.
Good Luck
Erik Dols
2   Posted 12/02/2008 at 07:11:38

With passive he means you’re not wearing a barcode strip 24/7.
Martin Cutler
3   Posted 12/02/2008 at 07:45:56

Rob...you are exactly what you think you are, an "obsessive True Blue".
I am too..........from over here in the States......I was born in Birmingham, England and I’ve been here for about 15 years (I’m 50 now) but I do consider myself along the same lines.
I do truly admire any fan (for any team) that goes week-in, week-out to games. Partly because of the small fortune it costs them but more importantly simply because they do.
I’ve never had the luxury of going to the games .... if I win the frigging lottery I’ll be at the very next Everton home game at Goodison (or wherever!) but until that unlikely event happens I make do with the internet (and this brilliant website) and Fox Soccer Channel..........no club would exist if all fans supported them the way I do, I know that, but I live and breathe Everton and I don’t think for one second that my support of them is lessened because of my particular circumstances....same goes for you Rob.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Perry
4   Posted 12/02/2008 at 08:50:35

Dear Peter, I agree that there are more important things in life than football - many more. And while watching Aljazera news (you should never just rely on one source of information, maybe you should broaden your sources of information?) perhaps you could reflect on the attrocaties committed by Sadam Hussain, the two invasions of Iran that led to the deaths of more than 1 million people. The invasion of Kewait and the attrocities commited by Iraqi soldiers on the women of that country. Or the chemical bombing of the Kerds at Helabja where Sadam and his friends used chemical weapons on a Kerdish town killing over 1000 innocent men women and children. Then there is the treatment of the Marsh Arabs who are one of the moset ancient civilisation in the world, many have been tortued, murderd and had their homes destroyed. Lastly there was the civil rights abuses by Sadams regiem, the missing people, the murded famalies, the torture. Yes there are many reasons to be glad that Sadam is no more.

If you want to talk about Afghanistan under the Taliban, the human rights abuses, the strict enforcement of Sharia the repression of women and men who did not fit the ideal laid down by Mullah Omah and the Taliban, not to mention the destruction of one of the worlds most important historical sites by them.

Football is important for some it is a way of life, and if you are a Bluenose its a passion for life.
Marcus Dawson
5   Posted 12/02/2008 at 09:20:23

Rob, I think you should stop sponging off your dad and get a girlfriend.
Duncan McDine
6   Posted 12/02/2008 at 09:10:24

There are many ’passive’ fans a Goodison every other week... going to the match doesn’t make you a die hard fan.

I live within 4 hours of Goodison and see about 5 or 6 games a season now (it used to be twice that when I was single!!!), but I don’t consider myself a passive fan in the slightest.

If you just simply have a quick look at final score most weeks to check the result and flick on MOTD if you’re home, then you’re a passive fan.

But if you can’t sit still or concentrate on anything while Everton are playing, either checking text every 2 mins, or glued to the radio, watching live updates online, watching the sky/setanta games, or indeed going in for every challenge while sitting among the Goodison crowd.... then you’re an obsessive Evertonian, like me!

Cheers, Dunc

Come on Blue Boys, big push tomorrow in Norway. The weather looks alright on BBC wesite... 0 to 5 degrees + and dry. That’s better than -10 and snow which is their usual February weather, so shame on anyone wearing gloves!!!
Karl Masters
7   Posted 12/02/2008 at 09:56:26

Why do you care what somebody who you state doesn’t know much thinks?

Just because you don’t go all the time, doesn’t mean you are somehow inferior.

Tell that sheep shagger you were speaking to go back to admiring those deluded Geordies, get yourself down to Goodison as often as you can afford and stop worrying.
Steve Pendleton
8   Posted 12/02/2008 at 12:25:33

You should have told the tosser to go get fucked and proceed to glass the tosser in the eye. Only jokes, but you don’t have to be member to be classified as being more than a passive fan.

The fact that you’re posting on this sensational website says a lot about your credentials as a supporter. Doesn’t matter if you live in Australia(where I am), Singapore, South Africa or England, you bleed blue and that’s all that matters.
Tony Williams
9   Posted 12/02/2008 at 13:14:58

I’m with Steve on this one mate, crack him in the chops and steal his bird......then tell him to support a proper club.
Matt Traynor
10   Posted 12/02/2008 at 13:23:14

By that logic there can be only 35,000 Everton fans...

What a balanced view of the world your friend has. Sorry, forgot, he’s part of the "best fans in the world" group.
Allan Hobbs
11   Posted 12/02/2008 at 14:08:16

Underage drinking is the poison thats bringing this country to its knees. ;)
James Martin
12   Posted 12/02/2008 at 14:51:06

Mark, I think Peter suggested Al Jazeera as a means of broadening sources of information, as opposed to simply reading/listening to the typical Downing street or white house press releases which seem to be 80% of the media content in the west. We were all force fed the atrocious human rights record of Saddam and the Taliban. Of course it was pertinent information, they are/were evil. But don’t you think it’s also pertinent to mention the fact that certain westerm goverments were responsible for:-
1. putting both the Talibans and Saddam in power.
2.Encouraging the war with Iran in an attempt to nip the Ayetolla’s Islamic revolution in the bud. And then selling arms to both sides.
3. Providing Saddam with the chemical weapons he used against the Kurds (this in 1988, when he was still an obedient Client).
Etc.
Apologies to Rob and everyone else for that completely off-topic rant but I couldn’t let that one go.
Rob you said it yourself, that particular barcode knows very little about footie
Trudy Boston
13   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:34:10

i think what what he meant was that newcastle have a bigger ground than us. yes, they pull in over fifty thousand people for each game and have not won anything of note since the beatles last had a number one, but tyneside football means a lot to the locals and they are one of the most passionate sets of supporters in europe.

I see myself . as a passionate fan, not obsessive. Everton football club is not the end all and be all but of course it plays a relevant role in life if your a supporter of this great club.
Peter Pridgeon
14   Posted 12/02/2008 at 18:10:34

Spot on James
I see you understood where I was coming from.
This is not a political forum so enough said already
I
Robert Carney
15   Posted 12/02/2008 at 20:31:10

Al Jazeera news was set up by ex-BBC journalist?s who were sick of the one-sided news broadcast by the west. I would recommend anyone to watch it. It is known for pulling no punches, the yanks blew it out of existence in Baghdad, killing many innocent journalists for daring to show and tell the truth on the ground.
Roy Coyne
16   Posted 13/02/2008 at 00:10:27

Rob, no offence meant, but I always think we are all fans of the club, and those of us that go to the games are supporters as well simply because by going to the match they are giving money to the club. At the moment I am a supporter but when I get to old to go or for what ever reason then I will be a fan ? this is not intended to offend any one as there are thousands of reasons people can't get to a game...