Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Off to Brann with No Arteta!

I see from the OS that Arteta did not travel. Pienaar also didn't travel. That leaves us a little short creatively for Wednesday against a team that will no doubt be well organised.

I'm not sure what starting eleven I would pick. Certainly with Arteta being injured and Saturday's first-half showing I think Moyes will now start with a 4 4 2 formation. I would imagine the back four will remain unchanged. Midfield of Ossie, Cahill, Carsley and Fernandes?

Up front will also be interesting. I would go for Yak and Johnson. I know Vaughan made a big impression when he came on on Saturday but I fear two big men up top would encourage long balls from every angle (I suppose you could argue it happens even when AJ plays!). But still I like the idea of a big man and a quick player like AJ complimenting eachother.

Whatever Moyes choses its crucial we pick up our performance and leave with a win.

PS its good to see Rodwell and Gosling travelling with squad ? these experiences can only benefit them in their development.
Paul  Lenehan, Armagh     Posted 12/02/2008 at 12:16:07

Comments

Sean Dylan
1   Posted 12/02/2008 at 12:33:09

I'm aware Brann arn't the strongest side left in the cup but have you seen the squad that we've got travelling there?

Don't get me wrong, with all our defenders fit and playing well and a good selection of strikers to choose from we should still roll 'em over but have you seen the midfield we've got to pick from... A half fit Osman/Fernandes, Cars (class), an under-performing Cahill and a pissed-up der Meyde!

I wouldn't be surprised if if he goes with Baines/Neville in midfild but isn't this precisely why so many were calling for another midfield addition in the window?

Anyway, enough of all that... let's get behind who is there ? COYB!

Jim Hourigan
2   Posted 12/02/2008 at 13:15:54

Oh dear! I feel a Hibbert right back, Neville and Carsley in the centre of midfield and 65% possession to them coming on .

No Arteta, no Piennar = no creativity...

Ant Mill
3   Posted 12/02/2008 at 13:59:13

Not the best perfomance against Reading, but we got the all important three points and now we turn our attentions to the excitement of the Uefa Cup in the knock out stages. I feel the game against Brann is ours for the taking, but we need to rise to the occasion and put on a professional and assured display. Still no Pienaar and Arteta is now out, which leaves us understength outwide with Osman the only other player really comfortable of playing in this position.

Personally I think we should play 4-4-2 with Osman and Cahill/Baines outwide and Fernandes and Cars in the middle and bring the Yak in upfront with AJ or Vaughny who cud also drop back to help out the midfiled. Or should Moyes employ his more defensive approach of 4-5-1, because keeping it tight may be essential in the first leg and attack them at Goodion in the second leg where Pienaar and Arteta are likely to be made available for selection.

Andy Callan
4   Posted 12/02/2008 at 14:41:02

We got a midfielder in the window and so far he has failed to perform - Fernandez...

I would take a borin? 0-0 draw and a lucky 1-0 at home.

Thinkin? that we are going to out play a team with Pinky and Perky in the middle of the park is ridiculous.

Long ball and a lots of pressing; it is the Everton way.

GET USED TO IT.
Terry Maddock
5   Posted 12/02/2008 at 14:27:16

Neither Mikel Arteta or Stephen Pienaar have travelled to Brann... Although AVM has! Seeing as that would mean a midfield shorn of our two most creative players, do you think Moyes will play it safe and settle for a draw... or will he go outright for the win and maybe even give Shandy Andy a chance to put himself in the shop window?
Patty Beesley
6   Posted 12/02/2008 at 14:52:49

You don?t think Vaughan is a quick player then? Think again!!
Connor Rohrer
7   Posted 12/02/2008 at 14:55:31

I’d expect something like this:

GK: Howard
RB: Neville
CB: Yobo
CB: Jagielka
LB: Lescott
RM: Osman
CM: Cahill
CM: Carsley
LM: Fernandes
CF: Johnson
CF: Yakubu

Not a bad team actually. Fernandes has played on the wing for us before. He played on the right against Watford and on the left against Man utd. Not his favored position but he can do a job out there.

I hope we play two upfront. Johnson needs the support and someone like Yakubu would be useful as he keeps the ball and can hold it up.

It would be very narrow in terms of width but thats not a bad thing in European football. Everything usually comes through the middle on a slow tempo so with players like Osman and Fernandes cutting inside we’ll have players capable of putting there foot on the ball. Lescott is there to add width if we need it obviously.

Worst case scenario is Hibbert at right back, Neville in midfield and Johnson upfront with no support.

COYB
Dominic Fitzpatrick
8   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:08:34

Sean Dylan, I stopped reading your post as soon as you mentioned a ’pissed-up der meyde’ will be travelling.

Dya think if he was ’pissed-up’ he’d be going? Or furthermore, still an Everton player.

Get over it lad, and stop reading the gutter rags.
Dan Stacie
9   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:19:51

Guys whats with all the doom and gloom? Yes two of our most creative players are missing but thats still a strong enough midfield with enough flair with Osman and Fernandes. Yes Cahill isn’t on fire at the moment but he’s been getting the chances and its only a matter of time before he puts one away, hopefully tomorrow......

I think Connor Rohrer has got the team selection right and it looks good enough to go and get a result.
Sean Dylan
10   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:18:47

Jesus Christ! (does my blaspheming offends you too?)

Obviously he’s not sloshed now...the remark was to emphasise the point that we ain’t many match fit midfielders you gimp!

And for record, I don’t read no rags- gutter or otherwise...my sources for Andy’s much publicised boozing were sites like these and i’m also aware of his family probs before you start spouting them too...

I’ve much sympathy for the fella but he had enough chances even before his daughter got sick- he’s only being asked to play football well for £20,000 of our money a week (a guess) for fuck sakes!
Chris Lawlor
11   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:42:50

Sean Dylan, I’ve gotta agree with Dominic. You’re comment about AVM was out of order. Regardless of what you meant by it, it was wide of the mark. The guy is obviously working hard and playing well enough for Moyes to have him back in the side. Cut the guy some slack and and lets hope he runs Brann ragged. COYB.
Jimmy Millican
12   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:52:32

I have to say that I trust Moyes with the AvdM situation.

He must have pulled his finger out recently otherwise he wouldnt have been on the bench foe the last game as well.

I doubt Moyes would have even considered putting him on against Reading but maybe it was his way of saying here is your chance.

I think he may get a start tomorrow or at least come on in the 2nd half, to take him and not use him tomorrow will be a waste of a sub.
Joe Wightman
13   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:58:20

This is the game in which Fernandes will finally show his true class. We brought him in specifically for games in Europe and he will put his foot on the ball and help us to control the game.

I think it will be a 4-3-1-2 formation, similar to that used in Alkmaar, with Johnson and Yakubu up top, Cahill sitting behind and Fernandes, Carsley and Osman in midfield.

This news about Arteta clearly shows why he has been so off-form since Christmas. He?s been a shadow of the player he can be.

COYBB
Sean Dylan
14   Posted 12/02/2008 at 15:49:36

"Regardless of what i meant by it"...lets not muddy this very small issue...

Rather than something only visible to myself, the point I was making was regarding the current weakness of our midfield with a JUSTIFIED skit at our ?overclapped? shandy.

Abuse and bad grammar removed by moderator

Maybe you?ve enough money to not care what our players get up to but personally it shows something seriously wrong with a man when he begins to take the piss out of the fans who pay his extortionate salary.

As for being in the squad...ain?t we got two kids in it? Not much of a justification for him ?turning the corner? necessarily- maybe more so that Moyes is desperate for numbers...THE ORIGINAL POINT

Paul Gladwell
15   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:04:38

Some people are a bit too serious on here. At the end of the day the shandy stories come from the lad on the street ? not the papers and whilst some may be rubbish the vast majority are not. Family problems or not some of the stuff you hear is inexcusable and deserving the tag he has. If he knuckles down and does something good then good on him... but do you think he will?
Paul Lenehan
16   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:07:57

Patty, I do think Vaughan is quick, but he is good in the air too. I think if we have two big lads up top it is too easy to kick it long. With a smaller layer like AJ up there it might encourage a little more football.
Sean Dylan
17   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:12:32

Well said Paul Gladwell! It’s so easy for folk to start ganging up in this messageboard scenario...

Who knows if he’ll come good though...I reckon he just might though- law of averages and all that!
Patty Beesley
18   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:15:36

Paul - Good point in your answer to me. I do like to see Vaughany play though, he is so full of youthful enthusiasm.
Mark Wynne
19   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:18:07

I know what I’d like to see, but when Moyes has been short of midfield options, he’s usually only played the one man up (probably Yakubu) whilst Neville always seems to make it into midfield with Hibbert coming in at right back.

Let’s face it, Moyes is cagier than cage shop in national buy a cage week.
Paul Lenehan
20   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:20:09

I know what your saying Patty. Vaughans energy is immense and his finishing isn’t to shabby either! I don’t mind who starts up to as long as we are postitve and have two strikers starting.
Alan Aldman
21   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:43:35

Put your shirt on Neville in midfield.On last Saturday’s form he’s probably the worst right -back in the Prem.When it comes to midfield you can make that in the other three leagues as well! But what a great leader of men!!!!
Barry Cass
22   Posted 12/02/2008 at 16:47:03

Sean Dylan , please tell me that the class in brackets after Carsley’s name is a piss take ?? It must be !

Sorry for one minute I thought you were being serious !!
Ben Howard
23   Posted 12/02/2008 at 17:10:59

I hope to see Connor Rohrer’s team selection tonight and agree that it is actually quite strong. My huge worry though is a lack of options on the bench to really change the game or, heaven forbid, we sustain an injury.

Also, lighten up a bit. Sean’s comments were harmless enough.
Paul Gladwell
24   Posted 12/02/2008 at 17:05:08

Alan, Neville was awfull with some of his passing on saturday but to say that about him is a bit over the top to say the least.
He is a far better full back than Hibbert for starters and can actually knock in a good cross now and again and has a few assists under his belt and lets be honest you cannot grumble with our back four if you look at how many goals we are conceeding lately.
Sean Dylan
25   Posted 12/02/2008 at 17:57:09

Re Barry: Indeed I was referring to Carsley?s class but I take your point certainly... I?d love us to be able to fill his position with someone who could thread a pass too from time to time ? if we could Get Manny showing the same commitment that he does maybe him?

For what he?s asked to do though, Cars does a sound job ? you not agree?
Keith Glazzard
26   Posted 12/02/2008 at 18:58:36

We knew that Steven P wasn?t available - although the SA national team doctor wanted him to play for their last game. If Mikel is carrying an injury, best rested.

And if we keep a clean sheet in this fixture the chances of going on to the next round increase massively. There are a few in the squad that could win it for us too.

If Andy van der Meyde is in the squad there can be no other explanation than that David Moyes thinks he can play for the first team. As we know, he can produce the highest class. Should we need him, let us all offer up a little prayer that he helps us to come home a goal or two up.
Ant Mill
27   Posted 12/02/2008 at 19:35:56

Neville better than Hibbert??!! No... Hibbert can tackle, has work rate to get back and gives 100 %, Neville has nothing can’t tackle has no pace backs off when ran at and gives stupid fouls away. Evry1 kicks off on Hibbert when he gives away the ball, but Neville does it just as much and it doesn’t get mentioned-Metalist Kharkiv equaliser at home who gave the ball away and the amount of times on saturday he gave the ball away and reading broke down our end and had goal scoring chances as a result with Neville nowhere insite. Atleast when Hibbert loses possession he works his ass off to get back. Neville-England international and Everton captain? I’ve got better distribution than him, sorry for the rant but I’m fed up of him we pay good money to watch Everton and Moyes chooses to pick him game after game and as a captain. Hopefully he’ll leave soon and we can move forward as a club.
David Moore
28   Posted 12/02/2008 at 19:46:57

You heard it here first:

Andy van der Meyde will play.

I hope because we need some creativity.
Alex Taylor
29   Posted 12/02/2008 at 21:02:19

How do you know VD Meyde will play?
Mark Wynne
30   Posted 12/02/2008 at 21:36:34

He won’t. For all Davey’s success lately, he’s a cautious soul. Expect something like:

GK: Howard
LB: Lescott
CB: Jagielka
CB: Yobo
RB: Hibbert
CM: Carsley
CM: Neville
LM: Fernandes
RM: Osman
AM: Cahill
CF: Yakubu

No, I don’t like it either, but just look at times in the season where Cahill was injured or Arteta unavailable. I very much doubt he’ll go with 4-4-2 particularly away from home. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Baines played instead of Fernandes either.

Anyone who thinks Cagey Davey will play an attacking lineup that doesn’t feature at least two defensive midfielders is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Connor Rohrer
31   Posted 12/02/2008 at 22:50:09

Looks like we could be without Arteta, Fernandes and Pienaar. Fernandes has supposedly got a stomach strain.

Looks like its up to Osman to provide all the creativity unless super Andy Van steps up and saves the day.

Not feeling confident to be honest. You have to keep the ball in European football and a midfield of Carsley and Neville just won’t do that.
Steve Bruce
32   Posted 13/02/2008 at 01:29:06

Regardless of whoever plays, lets just get behind out team..........COYB!
Ajay Gopal
33   Posted 13/02/2008 at 08:37:43

Connor, tell me that is not true !

Oh dear ! Oh dear !

Hopefully, the defence will see out the day for us: Hibbert, Yobo, Jags, Lescott (got to say, that looks like a world class defensive unit).

If the Fernandes story is true, this is the team I would expect DM to put out:

Howard
Hibbert
Yobo
Jagielka
Lescott
Osman
Carsley
Cahill
Neville
Baines
Yakubu (if he has been forgiven, otherwise AJ)

The mid-field is obviously the most worrying - just don’t see where the creative stuff is going to come from.

Maybe, vdm will be thrown in at the break, and Vaughan will be given a chance to show his stuff at the end.
Ben Atkins
34   Posted 13/02/2008 at 10:38:23

I think he’ll go 4-4-2, without Fernandes I’d expect Baines to play in midfield. Yak and Johnson up front. Still not a bad team I reckon.
Barry Cass
35   Posted 13/02/2008 at 17:49:12

Sean , yes he has had a good season but against midfielders who can run he struggles. This was particularly evident against Chelsea and Spurs .

If we are to step it up a notch then I think we need a better player than Carsley and I think Manny could do the job but if not then we do need a new enforcer .