Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Global Premier League: Asia speaks....

Well, the Asian Football Confederation (they're the equivalent of Uefa), in response to Dicky Scudamore's plans for the 39th game, have urged member countries (all of Asia and Australia) to refuse to consider the proposal so as not to impact on the development of domestic leagues in Asia.

If you've ever watched an Asian football match, it's invariably shite football, club owners are bent, allegations of match fixing are rife, and the refereeing is atrocious. Personally, I think the Premier League would fit right in.
Matt Traynor, Singapore     Posted 13/02/2008 at 06:55:10

Comments

Ange Stamos
1   Posted 13/02/2008 at 11:09:54

To the people there who are trying to push EPL matches abroad, the FFA in Australia stated today that there will be no competitive matches involving teams from the EPL to be played here, with the exception of friendlies. It's off to a great start I see. I for one agree even if I don't get to see my beloved blues.
Brian Jones
2   Posted 13/02/2008 at 15:36:32

I’m not especially into the idea of Prem League overseas but I do know there would be huge interest to see live matches here in Malaysia despite what any AFC suits might say. The general attitude of most Malaysians towards their local teams is mild disinterest at best for reasons outlined above and more.. whilst interest & enjoyment of Prem League is clearly evident in any Mamak on a Saturday night Sunday morning.
Vinod Kumar
3   Posted 13/02/2008 at 17:34:05

That?s a load of rubbish Matt! By saying that Asian football is shite, you are just downgrading yourself. Of course, its not level playing fields when compared to European standards, but have you ever watched an asian football match before? Have you watched the Asian Champions league before? There is soo much of pedigree in teams that are competing in the Asian Champions League that I wouldn?t be surprised if they give some of the european clubs a run for their money! So do your research before you preach smartass!
Anywayz, coming to the topic, I do believe that globalising EPL, might actually deprive the true essence of the English Game. It looks more like a publicity stunt rather than a competitive match. Like a quote I saw in one of the websites while browsing....."You bring a load of tennis players to Beijing and you tell the audience ?WELCOME TO WIMBLEDON!"
Julian van Lingen
4   Posted 14/02/2008 at 00:09:40

Boom boom. I was wondering what this was about until I saw the punchline in the last sentence.

Leaving my sense of humour aside briefly:

1. Asian football is as diverse as Asia itself, although I’m sure you already know that.

2. Since Australia is a full member of the Asian Football Confederation do you really need to add "and Australia"? Why not "all of Asia and Australia but not including Turkey and Israel", which would then mean that when you referred to UEFA you would have to qualify it by saying "all of Europe as well as Turkey and Israel".
Matt Traynor
5   Posted 14/02/2008 at 01:06:58

Vinod,
I apologise if I was being a little toungue in cheek.

But in answer to your question, yes I have watched a lot of Asian Football. I was at the opening games for last year’s Asian Cup in Bangkok (missed Tata Young’s performance due to congestion) and also at the Final in Jakarta when Iraq lifted the trophy.

But seriously, a lot of my local friends belittle their game, saying the standard is poor. It is merely my humble opinion, but here in Singapore the way the game is run is probably on a par with non-league football in the UK.

I will accept that the standard is better (on and off the pitchj) in Japan and Hong Kong, but you only have to look at the attendances for the Asian Cup to realise that not even Asian fans bought into it.
Matt Traynor
6   Posted 14/02/2008 at 01:13:20

Julian,
The distinction re Australia was purely because a lot of European fans may not be aware that Australia changed confederations last year.

It was a topic that Tim Cahill discussed with us at length when he appeared here last June. He also admitted that the Aussies ahd perhaps underestimated the standard of the national teams in AFC and also the climatic conditions.

Personally I hope that the AFC does develop, and the various leagues with it. I do occasionally work in football events, and am hoping to stage a tournament here in Singapore in October, with a few ex Blues appearing into the mix!

I think (and I am generalising) that the reason few Asian players make it big in Europe is largely down to stature and physique. There’s a few middle eastern players who are probably close.

There is one kiddy here who I would love Everton to take a look at - 16 yeaer old Harriss will be familiar to our Singapore fan base - already a full international. Could be the Asian Roo... oh better leave it, in case Man U are scouting this site!
Julian van Lingen
7   Posted 14/02/2008 at 05:32:39

Matt

I was just trying to be a smart arse (I can’t bring myself to use those emoticon things).

Joining AFC was the biggest and best move Australia could have made. As for their poor showing at last year’s Asian Cup, I think that can be attributed simply to arrogance.

I think a large part of the reason for the lack of Asian players in Europe is mentality. Even the great Fandi regretted not having toughed it out when he was younger.

Having said that I think that prospective Asian talent these days have a better idea of what to expect, on and off the pitch, than previously. I recall Everton having some sort of arrangement to take young Thai players to the Academy, but I don’t know if it is still in place.

What type of tournament are you looking to stage? And how "-ex" are the Blues you’re talking about?

And before this post runs right off track, the 39th game concept is ridiculous and no sane person should take it seriously.
Vinod Kumar
8   Posted 14/02/2008 at 14:14:52

Apologies accepted my friend...Just that I wanted to rectify your statement that it’s a few bad apples that were spoiling the standard and not the WHOLE basket!
Guess, the answer was very visible in your reply.