Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

What Happened to Chang??

First off, well done to the lads, especially without Mikky and Peanuts. I listened to the game on the official site radio this morning. Sounded like it wasn't the best performance, but job done non the less and we're set up for the home game.

The Yak sounded like he is now refocussed again, though Manny seems to continue to puzzle. Well done Ossie for what sounded like a great strike!!!

Anyway the point of this post. Just seen some pic's on various news sites and noticed no sponsor on the shirt tonight and wondering if anyone had any insight into the reason for this??
Darren Reeves, New Zealand     Posted 13/02/2008 at 21:56:31

Comments

Stig Meacham
1   Posted 14/02/2008 at 04:52:57

Heyup, Darren,

No beer sponsorship on shirts in Norge.
Jimmy Crack
2   Posted 14/02/2008 at 05:48:17

I kind of liked it it looked badass. Maybe someday when we’re insanely rich we won’t have sponsors at all!
sean condon
3   Posted 14/02/2008 at 05:21:01

GK and the whole midfield were average.
Three Jays were redwoods
Johnson and Yak were very good in trying circumstances (away, pitch, service, bad linesman).
I suspect that Johnson haters will believe they have more evidence for their case after Norway.
I have a different opinion.
His hold up play is pretty fucking close to being as good as anyone in the league.
In truth, though, that might be the best thing you can say about him. Although he excels in several non-quantifiable aspects of the game, he’s downright average if you just look at the numbers. Last season his finishing was shockingly poor in many matches. He’s better this, but not by much.
Big deal. He needs to play with another striker and be allowed time to develop rhythm in a two striker formation, or, if he’s alone up top and being expected to get goals then he needs to get balls down the middle instead of having to chase lost causes out on the touchlines.
He wasn’t brilliant tonight, but he was very good. If him and the Yak hadn’t played so well half a mile from goal the Vikes would’ve played 40 first-half minutes in our half.
Surely, with such an organized crowd behind them, the home side would’ve made their slow-motion pressure pay off. Even with two clearly hung over strikers.
sean condon
4   Posted 14/02/2008 at 06:06:34

..a note for Howard fans:

on the disallowed goal he was second in a 50-50 with the crossbar, and was fortunate

his brilliant goal line save with the game on the line was only possible because he was in his preferred starting spot on corners ( hiding behind the net) and was a little late getting back into position.

He did make one full-stretch top stop from Demba, but, really, if that had beaten him,...

His confident demeanor is a good act.

I’m not sayin’ that its gotta be this guy or that guy, but we’ve gotta get a better keeper.

Fuck. Give Brad Friedel an offer he (and B’bn) can’t refuse. He’s got 3-4 yrs in him at least. That’s all we need.

tony finn
5   Posted 14/02/2008 at 08:12:51

Sean Condon = for the chalked off goal howard was not fortunate, it was rightly disallowed, the attacking player had his arm over howards arms and part of his face.
John Lloyd
6   Posted 14/02/2008 at 08:17:34

Sean Condon I was gonna come on & argue with the points you’ve raised but I cant be arsed.

Your talking shite, absolute shite. He is one of the top 3 keepers in the prem on stats AND in performances. Its wound me up a little having to come on and defend a player who I (and thousands of others) think is the best goalie we’ve had since Nev!! In the current climate of poor keepers in Prem then be thankful for someone as consistent as Tim Howard, who contrary to your bit IS a very good keeper.
Matt Kassell
7   Posted 14/02/2008 at 08:33:11

RE the sponsor-less shirts: I thought the kit looked great without a sponsor. I know in these financial days there’s no chance EFC will forego sponsorship money but it was nice to have the opportunity to see a blue shirt in full. A hark back to tradition. Anyone else agree?
Monty Carlo
8   Posted 14/02/2008 at 08:42:10

I agree Matt. I thought the sponsorless shirts looked better. I thought the same of the retro ManUre shirts at the weekend too.
Alan Codd
9   Posted 14/02/2008 at 08:58:03

Sean on the dissalowed goal Howard was practically chinned by their player ffs cant you be a BIT positive about the blues.
Apart from that 2 away goals should be bread and butter at goodison.
And well done the wankers who ran on the pitch get a grip.
Stig Meacham
10   Posted 14/02/2008 at 08:35:20

Darren comes on here with a clap on the back for our Club and an honest question, and true to form it degenerates to player-slamming. Superb.

While we’re at it, let’s rag on McFadden some more.
Marcus Dawson
11   Posted 14/02/2008 at 09:31:16

I fully agree Stig, I?ve lost patience with the attitude of a lot of the contributors on here. I?m all for debate and believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the opportunists who lurk in the shadows waiting for the opportunity to drive in the knife on any and every player are killing this forum.

Howard made/didn?t make a mistake, Howard is useless, Howard should go. Are you for real? He may not be the best in the prem but he?s a very good keeper in a market where good keepers are scarce. What do you propose we do Mr Condon? I know, wait for an opportunity to draw attention to yourself by kickstarting a debate based on personal prejudice, malice and a big dose of hot air. It?s dull mate, you don?t stimulate a discussion, you polarise it by drawing a few fools (like me) into a ?yes it is, no it isn?t? vacuum. So you don?t like Howard, ok, now try to develop a case that we can relate to and offer a viable alternative.
Brett Bradshaw
12   Posted 14/02/2008 at 09:46:11

The shirt has never looked better! I would like to be given the option to have or not to have it on my shirt next time I buy.

Does anyone know if that would go against sponsorship rules?

I would pay £20 extra at the most to have the shirt without the sponsors, I wonder if that would make up the difference...
Patty Beesley
13   Posted 14/02/2008 at 09:54:16

I like Tim Howard - I think he is a good goalie and I?ve seen quite a few whilst supporting Everton for over 50 years, but I wouldn?t go so far as to say he is as good as old Nev.. As for Eric Bakke he is a dirty player just as he was for Leeds
Nick Toye
14   Posted 14/02/2008 at 10:08:14

Sean Condon, that has to be the worse post I have read.

Ok the disallowed goal, it was an arm across the keepers face and it was handled over the line by Bakke.

The save on the line was just that, he wasn’t fortunate, he took up the position that the man on the line should have taken and he comfortably saved the ball.

But the mentality of you is clearly highlighted by the fact that you have taken a thread about Shirt Sponsorship and turned it into your opinion on the performance of some of the players.

Bizarre,
Phil Bellis
15   Posted 14/02/2008 at 10:09:46

Jesus, sean! ...you’re obviously a young ’un who never saw the likes of Dai Davies, Bobby Mimms, Paul Gerrard, Steve Simonson, Geoff Barnett, David Lawson et al.
Did you ever hear of Richard Wright? If you’d have seen what we’ve put up with in the past, you’d think better of Tim Howard.
BTW - the unspoilt shirts looked great, I don’t suppose the sponsorship deal will allow the club to sell them - pity.
Liam Kennedy
16   Posted 14/02/2008 at 10:20:22

I agree the shirts looked splendid last night. im not sure what the sponsership rule is but my housemate is a rangers fan and if you buy a gers shirt off their website you can choose if you want carling on the front or not. So it seems it can be done
John Lloyd
17   Posted 14/02/2008 at 10:58:10

Patty I dont think he is as good as Nev, just think he’s the best since Nev finished and better than a few before probably!!

Adam Carey
18   Posted 14/02/2008 at 11:46:57

Got to agree that the kit looked quite cool without the sponsor logo. I know Chang have been a good partner for us but it was kind of old school and i liked it.

Would be good to have the option to buy a replica that way?
Stuart Mitchell
19   Posted 14/02/2008 at 12:14:16

When is Sean Condon gonna quit his one man mission to get rid of Howard.

Enough already Sean, Howard has been quality for us.
Charlie Percival
20   Posted 14/02/2008 at 12:28:45

Also isnt Howard ahead of ?Seans Recommendation? of Brad Friedel for USA?

Howard is an Awesome keeper, the only thing I get worried about is (a floated ball or an up and under) he seems to not catch the ball at full stretch (with his height advantage) with arms in the air, he likes it to come down and catch it at chest height which Iget worried about.

But I think hes one of the best in the league easily
Craig Taylor
21   Posted 14/02/2008 at 12:59:29

Howard is fucking quality. To suggest otherwise is unbelivable. To say that he was at fault for a DISALLOWED GOAL what planet are you on? And it was blatent foul, the player pretty much had a bear hug on him.

Stop the neadless digs at players for god sake. I know that the toffeeweb policy is that everyone is entitled to their opinion but some of the bollocks that people speak!!!!!!!
Vinod Kumar
22   Posted 14/02/2008 at 13:49:48

The sponsorless kit was kinda’ cool! It made the players look like they are playing for an international match. One look and I thought ITALY was playing!
Darren Reeves
23   Posted 14/02/2008 at 20:02:31

Thanks for the info on the shirts Stig and co. Makes sense now.
I agree the sponsorless shirts did look pretty cool and retro, but I have to confess to a bit of a liking for the old Chang logo. Reminds me of trips to Thailand. Always makes me chuckle over here to see backpackers with their Chang logo vests and T-shirts. I also think from a purely aesthetic point of view, it is one of the better shirt sponsors in the prem.
As for Howard, I rate him. He’s not Nev, but we’ll never have another one of him. He’s up their with Martyn and better then most others in the prem.
Gavin Ramejkis
24   Posted 14/02/2008 at 22:40:17

I dont agree with Howard being our best since Nev think Martyn was slightly better just wish we had him younger but thats history, Howard is a class keeper and Phil Bellis cheers mate for the memory of Dai Davies that will keep me awake tonight with nightmare memories when he scored an own goal in his first game for us, add Espen Baardsen and Jason Kearton for more clowns that couldn’t catch a cold never mind a ball.

Anyway back to the post, the kit looks great without a sponsor, takes me back to before football got reinvented and turned shite.
Sean Condon
25   Posted 15/02/2008 at 02:08:16

Best keeper in the Prem.? You have a good crystal meth rehab facility near you?

Evidence 1-A: New Years Day, 2007. The City penalty in a match we were frequently dominating.
Jesus, we coulda just kept Wright around to pull off that shit.