Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Norwegian view on Evertonians in Norway

Thought I'd give you the general take on how the away support fared in Norway yesterday. Might be bitter reds, but they're not leaving the travelling support much honor today.

- Evertonians made a great noise before the game, but weren't singing at all during the game (except for the two goals + after the game)

- Evertonians were drinking so much they were barely able to stand, thus unable to sing for their team.

- The worst away support Brann has encountered so far in this year's Uefa Cup.

Your takes on this rambling from the bitters? Bollocks, or somewhat true?
Paul Olsen, Norway     Posted 14/02/2008 at 11:37:21

Comments

Steve Hogan
1   Posted 14/02/2008 at 11:29:33

Still in Bergen on the Thursday after the game and not wishing to take the shine away from a great result but some of our so-called fans were a disgrace last night.

About forty idiots decided to run on the pitch after the game including a number of kids aged about 10 years old? What a great example from their parents. I wonder what the UEFA observer thought?

I also witnessed a gang of louts openly abuse two Norwegian girls manning the hot dog stands in the Everton section, who when refusung to take English currency were told to "take the fuckin money ya bitch" ? what a great impression you must have left those girls guys, a real credit to the club and it's supporters. Why do these morons bother?

Incidentally, the Norwegian people were courteous and helpful throughout our stay. Sorry for the rant, but it's hard to stomach behaviour like that.

Simon Lloyd
2   Posted 14/02/2008 at 09:18:19

Dour performance away from home in Europe produces a 2 - 0 win with a couple of moments of quality.

If the above description applies to a team from the "Big Four" then the performance was "professional" and the "sign of a good side" - (to play not particularly well but to still manage a win).

If the above description applies to us, then we were lucky, undeserving bastards. Should I grow up and stop allowing myself to be bothered?

Steve Linden
3   Posted 14/02/2008 at 14:08:35

Can’t say (from the TV) that the home support was much to write home about really.

How could anyone afford to get drunk when it’s between £4 and £8 a pint over there?

Agree the pitch invaders are idiots and we don’t need them
Rob Shadow
4   Posted 14/02/2008 at 14:35:09

Steve, did you, or anyone else, pull those idiots aside and say, "Listen mate, calm down, they don’t want your pounds anymore than you would want some foreign money back home. You’re representing Everton the same as the players on the pitch ... have some respect." ... or something like that? Otherwise how are they going to learn?

As for the other part ... a handful of people ran on the pitch to celebrate and nothing came of it ... DISGRACE! SHOCK! OUTRAGE! WHERE’S MY DAILY MAIL?
Patty Beesley
5   Posted 14/02/2008 at 14:37:12

Sounds like sour grapes to me!! Your supporters didn?t make any noise at all except when you thought, wrongly, you should have a goal for a foul on our goal-keeper. Evertonians are known to be very good well-behaved supporters abroad unlike their counter-parts in Liverpool. The worst supporters you have encountered ... rubbish [to put it politely] - the worst supporters are Liverpool ones but then as most Norwegians are closet reds I?m not surprised you would have it in for the blues.
Rob Bentham
6   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:24:51

Patty
I think we can assume he’s a Norwegian Blue, we also have great following out there. (someone else can do the dead parrot gags I can’t be bothered).
Lars Vinden
7   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:18:27

As a Norwegian toffee going to the match yesterday, I have to agree with the first point. I barely heard us at all before the goal. And that’s not exactly when the players need the support the most, is it?

To say that the Brann supporters didn’t make any noise at all, like Patty suggests, is plain wrong. I don’t know what you heard on tv, but there were times when almost everyone in the stadium sang. The travelling Evertonians I spoke to after the game, all agreed that the home supporters had been good.
patty
8   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:33:13

Sorry Rob, I must fit the protype of a thick Scouser, but why do we assume that Paul Olsen is a Norwegian Blue, in fact he refers to bitter reds. Sorry don’t see that argument... and I must be thick because I have never heard the dead parrot gag - perhaps you would like to tell me what it is.
patty
9   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:37:23

Sorry Lars but I must have been watching a different game. I obviously watched it on TV and all you could hear initially was the Everton supporters. In fact, the TV commentators made comments that they had never been to a game where it was so quiet and no atmosphere but that you could hear the toffees supporting their team. According to you it would appear it was the other way around.
Lynn Thorne
10   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:33:08

Some of what Paul says has a mite of truth. There were several fans who were worse for wear - I personally didn’t see any trouble or any disgracing themselves - most fell asleep!.
We did sing for a large part of the match - but Brann fans made little noise bar for the occasional chant.
The fans at the end were a nuisance as it meant most of the team wouldn’t come over at the end.The Norwegians were lovely - the police particularly calm and sensible - possibly a bit lax, but I thought overall we did ourselves proud again.
Not the best atmosphere - but that was gained at other matches by mixing with the opposing fans before the game. Which didn’t happen as much here
Rob Bentham
11   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:41:12

Patty
The bitter reds are referred to as THEY. Gags are never funny if you’ve got to explain them, which is why I didn’t.
Rob Bentham
12   Posted 14/02/2008 at 15:56:46

Or you might look here.
It’s a hilariously unfunny explanation.
Paul Olsen
13   Posted 14/02/2008 at 16:33:21

Hey, i’m just referring the general view, i watched the game on telly last night myself. But, i’ve seen many complaints from people disappointed in the Everton support at the stadium so i thought i’d let you know.

And, yes i am a norwegian blue and proud to say that i never thought we were threatened on the pitch yesterday. We were professional if still a little dull.
Paul Olsen
14   Posted 14/02/2008 at 16:38:10

Oh and bitter reds = Brann, not the other lot that likes to use the bitter argument.

It’s actually funny to see some people that are still dead cert that none of the goals should have been allowed :-)
The first one, was nowhere near a free-kick.

And after reading reports of how well Evertonians have done in europe earlier this season i was surprised to hear that someone thought the away-support was rubbish last night. That’s more or less why i posted this.
Frank Duffy
15   Posted 14/02/2008 at 17:27:01

Was it just me but wasn?t the coverage on Channel 5 last night poor. Half the time you couldn?t see the player with the ball as the camera man for some reason didin?t want to follow the ball.

The commentator described what was happening but I might as well be listening to the radio.

Have a pain in my neck trying to look round the TV to see who had the ball !!!

Maybe it was the Norwegian TV people who were to blame but not very good.

But a great win and we can all now relax in anticipation of the second leg - who am I kidding this is my beloved EVERTON.
Trevor Powell
16   Posted 14/02/2008 at 18:05:44

Watched the match on Tv and was convinced that Brann were really playing like an away side with two big strikers [one a converted centre half] going in just like the Sheffield Weds sdie of the mid-eighties with wife beater Chapman and other yard-dogs. OK, it was not the most impressive display but I did not sit at home panicking and having to watch from behind the sofa as some papers think i should have been> Just look at the BBC Sport Live text stats Possession 61-39 to the Blues, shots on target 8-5, other shots 4-4... and that from a side that was passing badly and giving the ball way too cheaply... what would have happened if Arteta had ebe there?

I personally think that despite two strikers, we were too cautious, concerned not to allow a big physical side to get any momentum. The problem for Brann is that there two starting strikers could not control a ball... but then how many team that rely on brute force up front have found that out before, let me think Wimbledon, Watford, Wednesday etc.
Kjetil Vormestrand
17   Posted 14/02/2008 at 19:07:33

I am a norwegian Everton fan and can confirm that Everton have quite a big following here. Not as many fans as Liverpool and United, but that’s to be expected.

The Everton supporterclub in Norway has just over 1000 really passionate Everton supporters. We see all the games on tv, discuss them on our forum, and read Everton news here, the official site and so on.

We have members travelling to almost every game in England, and some of us travel to the uefa-cup games as well. The last two summer I have spent all my holiday money following Everton. I went to Glasgow to watch us play Celtic, and to Northern Ireland to see us play there. I also know there were som norwegians both in Ukraine and Nurnberg.

As for the game last night I could only watch it on the telly. The Brann fans complaining about our support are just bitter. Off course the Everton fans were not singing throgout the whole game, because they were busy actually watching the events on the pitch. The support seemed great from the telly and from what I heard the Everton boys made a huge impact in the city before and after the game. Hope to see you in Trondheim for a new party in a few weeks!
Steve Lyth
18   Posted 14/02/2008 at 19:08:04

I was in Bergen for two days, the vast majority of our support were excellent in town and at the match.
There were some drunken idiots but thats par for the course on europen trips, its a holiday after all.
We did mix well with the Norge boys especially in the football bar which is Branns pub. The Norwegian people were highly polite and its obvious they take a dim view of people binge drinking, hence the high prices. We did sing throughout the game but it might not have come across well given we were shoved in the corner.Thank you Bergen for a truely memorable two days.
Lue Glover
19   Posted 14/02/2008 at 19:02:50

The majority of Evertonians were well behaved from what I saw of them though there was a scuffle at the end of the match when we were asked to wait for ten minutes or so. The police were indeed polite and sensible despite being provoked by a number of total idiots who were worse the wear for drink and an unhealthy dollop of beligerence. The twerps who ran on to the pitch just spoilt it for the rest of us because it meant that the players couldnt come over to the corner area where we were located.
I thought that Brann’s support was excellent in the first half in particular and I couldnt believe what I was hearing when I watched the match on telly this afternoon on my return home. Ratters kept saying that there was no atmosphere! Well, I’ve no idea where he was sitting, maybe in the middle of a Ffiord or something because the place was buzzing.
It’s alright for people to say that it was high spirits etc but those people represent our club and our supporters - I cannot understand why their behaviour should be deeemed acceptable. Some of the blokes at the match were so drunk they couldnt stand up and spent most of the time peeing behind any sort of wall or fence they could find. Lovely. A couple of the kids who ran onto the pitch had been a pain in the backside all day in and around the city. I enjoyed my trip and I enjoyed the game but like it or not, we have a group of total and utter knob heads who follow the club. They may well be passionate about Everton but their passion should be tempered to exclude behaviour which causes embarrassment to Everton FC. I enjoy a drink, though heaven knows Norway must have the lowest level of alcoholics in the world because of the prices but I just don’t get what enjoyment people get from being so drunk that they can’t stand up, pick fights with their own shadows and spend most of the game pissing more or less where they stand.

Each to their own as they say but it’s not too much to ask fellow supporters not to spit at fellow Blues, clear their throats and gob onto the floor of the coach on the way to the airport and get out of said coach (in full view of others) and piss up against the side of it because they can’t wait to get to a toilet. I was very lucky to be able to go to Bergen and the city is lovely, the people friendly and I enjoyed my trip, well worth the effort depite the knob head factor!
Ray Booth
20   Posted 14/02/2008 at 19:43:50

One thing that has been fogoten that most of the Everton supportes who had travel had been up sins 4 - 5 oclock in the morning to get to Burgan. And had been in town center from 11 clock were i never seen any trouble all day even tho the beer was over £5 a pint, we stiil enjoyed are selfs and had a good time.
At the ground there was only about 6 no port a loos for 900 fans and 1 burger van in side the Everton end of the ground. Also the traveling Everton fans were singing and enjoying them selfs and as for brann fans they were not making that much noise as they were the home side .
And as for the couple of idoits who went on the pitch at the end of the game the reset of the Everton fans made there thoughts of them plain by booing them and telling them to get off the pitch so 20 idoits get noticed but the other 1000 odd fans all get the blame for those idoits to?
Mick Murphy
21   Posted 14/02/2008 at 20:24:26

Been back from Bergen a few hours now and after a few hours kip thought I would catch up on how the Press reported things, some good positive things but some negitive. I thought fans was well behaved and the Brann fans was sound, I was with a few lads who had travelled on a day trip and lets be honest you are going to load up on the booze to keep them going, but I seen no kick-offs ? just a few young piss heads a bit mouthy and few being nicked for drugs, but that was it. The game was shit first half but so was the Nuremberg game, but who cares the next round is almost there.
Brann Mann
22   Posted 14/02/2008 at 21:16:05

Met a couple of Evertonians for a beer before the game, a funny bunch.

Good luck when you meet us at Goodison, youll need it.

Deserved win, despite both goals sholud have been disallowed,
Jack Edinson
23   Posted 14/02/2008 at 21:51:37

What you hear on TV is not the truth. It depends on where the microphones is.

The Brann supporters where great and we heard them alot. They actually sang higher then us the most fot he game.
Ray Booth
24   Posted 14/02/2008 at 22:08:47

15,000 Brann to 1,000 Everton... I shoud think you would have heard them when they did make a noise.
Jim Potter
25   Posted 14/02/2008 at 22:15:41

Well it?s good to know we have so many great fans in Norway. I was there in November on holiday (yes, November!) and had a great time. Just wish the alcohol cost less. A very friendly bunch - and I?m sure all us normal Blues feel pissed off at those few morons who act like the bunch Steve Hogan mentioned. Apologies to our Norwegian friends.
Paul Gladwell
26   Posted 15/02/2008 at 10:23:07

The police in the ground were total idiots and very unfriendly and I told one of them so and made apoint of mentioning how good the Nuremberg police were.
Their attitude with our banners was also a disgrace and could of caused trouble.
As for the 15 to 20 dickheads who sneaked up in front of our pub the irish bar after the match wanting it when blues fans were drinking quietly well there where a few kids there and a couple of lads on crutches you cowards but you still got put in your place tits.
Geir Hasund
27   Posted 15/02/2008 at 11:56:30

Let’s conclude that everything German is first class then (Hamburg fans, Nuremberg police). I thought the away support was fair enough. Leave it to the Southern Europeans to stand with their backs facing the the pitch, complelely ignoring what happens on it as long as "the atmosphere is great". I fully symphatise with fans who are more into football than male choirs. Everton fans in general behaved well in Bergen and the pitch invasion was probably a blessing in disguise, as it once and for all demonstrated the ineptitude of our security manager.
Seamus Murphy
28   Posted 15/02/2008 at 12:56:21

For what its worth i watched the game on Setanta Ireland and i actually commented to my mates on how loud the home support was!! And they agreed. Maybe that didnt come accross on 5.
John Middleton
29   Posted 15/02/2008 at 13:12:12

Fully agree with Seamus, it definitely didn?t sound like a 16,000 stadium on Setanta, I would have guessed triple that. The home fans made an incredible amount of noise from my seat, but I guess that goes back to the topic of the microphones' placement.
Paul OHanlon
30   Posted 15/02/2008 at 13:45:13

Rats was talking bollocks when he kept saying the only ones singing were the Everton fans. I was listening closely as I didn’t recognise any of the songs being sang before realising those ’Everton’ fans weren’t singing in English! You’d think an Everton leg end would know what songs our fans sing.

Singing before the game but not during is typical of my experiences of our away days (exept for the 1st leg Chelsea game). Why do we always sing so loud under the stands before the game and then go quiet once it starts? Is it because the alcohol wears off???
Charlie Dimmock
31   Posted 15/02/2008 at 14:43:51

’Everton leg end’?

That’s what I call a tackle.
Nick Marson
32   Posted 15/02/2008 at 20:29:25

I must confess I hadn’t heard much of this team from Bergen before, and their stadium is rather small compared to the ones we are used to in England. With that in mind, the home fans really impressed me and really knew how to support their team. Even with this small crowd (15 000) they would probably be louder than most home fans in England. Think about that.

What about us? We failed. Sometimes most of us tried to make a good performance, but at once we tried, the home fans would shut us off. Many of the home fans I spoke to after the match thought we were much quieter than what’s normal for the away fans in Bergen, but they were impressed with the volume we had after the goals and after the match (though they were naturally very quiet then).

As for the match. We won 0-2. Very efficient. We had three large chances and scored on two (which in honesty should have been reversed for free kick and offside). I’d say we were quite lucky to go home with any points at all. In the first half Brann controlled the match and had several chances, but seemed to have problems in the last five meters. Second half started good for us, controlling the match until we scored in the 58th minute. Then Brann woke up again and put us under the same pressure as before, but somehow failed to score. They made a few changes to their team and their dominance became even clearer. Somehow we managed to score another goal on a counter (which the ref thankfully didn’t see was an offside).

I consider ourselves very lucky and I really hope our lads are up for the match next week. I’m sure even our lads knew that we didn’t deserve any of those points, so I hope they are up for the match next week, else we might get a shit surprise at home.