Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

A Tale of Two Clubs

Let me tell you a story of two footballing clubs. Our visit to Bergen to watch the mighty Blues against SK Brann will forever be embedded in our minds for some fantastic reasons and, unfortunately, some sour ones also.

On the Morning of the match we decided to make the trek to the ground to get a glimpse of their stadium. We walked up to the ground and was met at a gate by an old guy. He gave us a brief history of the club and casually threw into the conversation that he played for Brann in the 50s. His name was Hans Bjonn Skaqen, he played outside right (see photo 49).

We were shown around the ground and even sat in the dugout where the Blues would make their camp for the evening game. He was the Dave Hickson of Brann (a gentleman and scholar).

At the dugout we were met by a proud gentlemen who also gave us an in-depth view of Brann FC and explained that they owned the club outright and were developing the stadium bit by bit. This guy turned out to be the Wyness of Brann (what an hospitable person he was).

The evening before the game, we wandered into the SAS Radisson hotel in the heart of the town and came across a function that was taking place with Graham Sharp, Kevin Radcliffe and Ian Snodin giving a talk on everything Everton. We bought our drinks from the bar and listened to the 3 legends, but trouble was brewing as individual officials from Everton Football Club began a task of removing us from this gathering.

Was it because we were aliens from another planet? Maybe it was because we weren't wearing a cravat or even smoking cigars. Why was it that loyal Evertonians where being treated like a piece of shit that had got stuck on their shoe? Bingo, we knew. Our T shirts gave it away. What was written on the front? It read simply "Keep Everton in our City".

After being refused another drink from the hotel public bar at the request of these individuals and being told to leave, it all fell into place why they had so much hatred during those 25 brief minutes. If this is the policy being injected through the club towards its supporters no wonder there is a campaign the remove Keith Wyness from his job.

Alfie Hincks, Kirkby, UK     Posted 16/02/2008 at 15:50:18

Comments

David Freel
1   Posted 16/02/2008 at 15:59:34

The whole stadium issue is so testy that it’s probably not that surprising that you were turned away... and, who knows, you might have been politely asked to leave for attending a private function uninvited even if you weren’t wearing KEIOC t-shirts.

Unfortunately, though, by making the Kirkby issue so personal over the summer (I’m thinking specifically of the "Farce" flyer) it’s not at all surprising that you were chucked out by Everton officials, no doubt at the request of the higher-ups.
Tom Hughes
2   Posted 16/02/2008 at 16:07:21

It is disgusting that the club can treat such dedicated fans so badly after they have travelled so far and at such great expense. How many of them would have made that effort with their own cash? The "People's Club" indeed!?
Mike Mulhall
3   Posted 16/02/2008 at 16:18:15

To be fair, lads ? and please don't take this as being antagonistic ? but you must have realised that club officials wouldn't be too keen on the protest t-shirts! It could be your paranoia though! It may have been because one of you was wearing trainers!
Simon Watts
4   Posted 16/02/2008 at 16:28:31

If this is the Radison I stayed in in Norway it is really posh. I stayed there a few weeks with work and they use it for world summit meetings etc . If it is the same Hotel they would not let Boris Yeltsin in the bar. They weren't too pleased with others after a few beers. Think they have strict dress codes, and have to look look sober.
Cathy Johansen
5   Posted 16/02/2008 at 16:40:12

That is disgracefull behaviour by the club. And they look such a well behaved bunch.
Mick Mac
6   Posted 16/02/2008 at 17:00:52

Alfie, I'm glad to see you wetn to watch the blues in Brann and I personally could see why you were a bit miffed at your treatment. But let me ask you a question. If I turned up at a KEIOC meeting with a Tee-shirt on which said Everton for Kirkb.... what would happen do you suppose? I suapect something similar.
Dave Wilson
7   Posted 16/02/2008 at 16:59:08

I love this club, but to treat proper, proper blues in this manner is shameful.
Sorry Alfie lad, but its obvious your support - and cash - is taken for granted
Art Johnson
8   Posted 16/02/2008 at 17:13:41

I suspect Alfie, that the reason you were asked to leave was because this was the Thomas Cook officially organised executive travel package for which each person had paid £700 for 1 night's stay at the Radisson and a function with the 3 players. So essentially, you?d gatecrashed a private party. Not knowing all the details, I cannot obviously condone or decry the actions of the officials, but I suspect that if someone had gatecrashed your private function, you would ask them to leave.
Robert Jones
9   Posted 16/02/2008 at 17:30:50

Oh grow up mate, would you go into a Tories Party in a Vote for Labour T-shirt? I don’t think so.

Simple fact is If one group supports an idea they’re not going to let people in protest shirts, or Shirts going against their Beliefs into the Bar, Party, Hotel etc.
Mick Mac
10   Posted 16/02/2008 at 17:39:30

The hair bunch, I woud?t let you in Grafton never mind the Radison
Dave Wilson
11   Posted 16/02/2008 at 18:13:01

Mic Mac
very harsh, funny as fuck though
Mick Mac
12   Posted 16/02/2008 at 18:09:32

Good title tale of two clubs though, Everton FC a club on the up and Liverpool FC a team on the down... Just listening to a phone-in and if I could bottle some of the RS fans' moans it would be priceless. Honest they are hilarious. Just seen the goal by Barnsley right in front of the Kop... oh dear!
James Martin
13   Posted 16/02/2008 at 20:05:14

Mick Mac, I see your point but think it’s stretching it a bit with the comparison. I don’t think the lads walked into a function which was promoting the move to Kirkby.
On the other hand it’s obviously true what Art says, the lads inadvertently walked into a private function and the inevitable occured.
Michael Hunt
14   Posted 16/02/2008 at 20:45:59

I agree, it looks like a case of discrimination against the folically challenged and those donning dodgy bonnets....hee hee hee ;-)
Colin Malone
15   Posted 16/02/2008 at 21:36:15

Where can i get a t.shirt from? Been looking around the ground, Church Street, Rratey Market for months?
Steve Hogan
16   Posted 16/02/2008 at 22:50:20

So you bunk into a private ’do’ and throw your collective dummies out the pram when politely asked to leave?

Do me a favour

How naive...
Ian Curtis
17   Posted 16/02/2008 at 23:21:14

I think it’s fairly obvious you’re just looking for a way to have a go at the club. Do you know for definite they were Everton officials? The club don’t seem to have done anything wrong, but of course it’s just another example of the club trying to screw the decent, honest fan...
Dick Fearon
18   Posted 17/02/2008 at 08:33:32

Hey there Alfie, seeing as your letter is e mailed from a Kirkby address I was wondering just what city you want Everton to be kept in.
Sean Allinson
19   Posted 17/02/2008 at 09:22:18

There were several others wearing anti-Kirkby attire that attended that presentation by the ’Legends’, in Bergen. They were not asked to leave because they’d paid the £700 necessary to be there.

This is a non-story.
Tom Hughes
20   Posted 17/02/2008 at 09:23:19

Dick,
Kirkby isn’t a city, which is partly the point!
As far as people talking about gatecrashing, these people had spent a small fortune going to support OUR team. How many critisizing them here did the same? They are entitled to voice or display their opinion on this critical issue (possibly the most important in our history), we’re not a totalitarian football club state yet despite the club’s policy regarding this whole move issue.
Steve Hogan
21   Posted 17/02/2008 at 09:45:28

Tom Hughes, let’s face it, anything the club do at the moment would attract criticism from yourself due to your well documented ’anti-kirkby’ views.

The fact remains this was a private function to which this group was NOT invited.

What has the cost of the trip got to do with it?

By the way, I too went to the game in Bergen, but to my knowledge, the cost did’nt include gatecrashing someone elses pre-match party.
Art Johnson
22   Posted 17/02/2008 at 09:41:30

Come on Tom.... It was a private party , and as Sean has said , those who were invited were not stopped from wearing the KEIOC shirts. I can?t speak for anybody else here but I?ve been going to watch Everton home and away for 40 years , I have no problem with a private function and invited guests only able to attend. I?m a No voter and never want to leave Goodison but sometimes you have to get off the soapbox and see things as they are, not what is convenient to shout about . Are Everton or Thomas Cook aware of the protest ?
Tony Williams
23   Posted 17/02/2008 at 10:20:20

I think that it has been pretty much covered here. It would seem that you were asked to leave was down to the fact that you had not paid your entrance fee to the function, simple really.

I would fully expect to be ejected from the Hospitality tent in the Goodison car park if I had not bought a ticket.

I am not sure what it is you wanted to achieve from this post but I suspect it has everything to do with your last sentence, a dig at Wyness for your bunking into a private do, tenous link at best mate.

Tom Hughes so if I pay whatever hundred pounds to go to Barcelona, can I just walk into the Bernabau? I mean I have paid a lot of money to get there, I wonder why they wouldn’t let me unto the Hatton fight in Vegas, I had paid over £500 to follow him there!!
Tom Hughes
24   Posted 17/02/2008 at 10:23:15

Steve/Art,
I am not anti-the club at all. I am anti-Kirkby and have stated the reasons why. I believe most of my concerns voiced over several months have gradually come to fruition. (Tell me if you think what is on offer now is the same as pre-vote.)

I have no idea if this was a "private" function or not, it wasn?t stated in the piece, and am not condoning gatecrashing. I have no idea if other passing Evertonians were ejected. I have however witnessed first hand the club?s whole policy regarding any anti-Kirkby stance....... and it stinks. If this action was purely coincidental then I?ll stand corrected.
Tom Hughes
25   Posted 17/02/2008 at 10:46:30

Tony,
You can view it both ways...... This is supposed to be "The People?s Club"! It?s not like these "people" didn?t know the family at this "private" do. They chanced upon the party of supposedly old friends, all a long way from home, and were even able to walk in and buy drinks without being turned away. Like I said above, it may just be coincidental that they were wearing the t-shirts and were then ejected.
Dave Wilson
26   Posted 17/02/2008 at 13:45:42

The Bernabau is in Madrid
Ian Ankers
27   Posted 17/02/2008 at 13:45:47

Sorry, but what an utter load of rubbish!

Good thread up until the bit where you became a dishonest politician at the end. Do us a favor! As someone has already mentioned the PRIVATE function was set up by Thomas Cook and from what I can gather you had to pay a pretty penny to be a legitamate part of that.

Whilst I comend of the efforts and the goals the KEIOC crew are trying to acheive, some of the stuff they are coming out with recently is making it very difficult to take them seriously. Yes I actually want to Keep Everton in our city, but can we just make up our own minds without these silly pointless digs at the club that hold absolutely no weight. There are probably a thousand reasons and points on why Everton should stay in the City, but with threads like this its starting to look like they were all exhausted a long time ago!
Michael Dawson
28   Posted 17/02/2008 at 15:41:54

I particularly enjoyed that you chose to highlight in bold type the fact that you ’bought’ your drinks. As if parting with a few quid for a pint means you should automatically be made welcome at a private function others have paid money to attend.

Of course, if there was a big sign outside saying ’All Evertonians Welcome’, then this would be a different matter, but it appears this wasn’t the case.
Tony Williams
29   Posted 17/02/2008 at 16:24:20

I’m sorry Tom but that doesn’t wash, they stumbled into a private party of old friends, should say they walked into a private function where the attendees had paid a fair wedge to attend, but apparantly it’s ok if you put a couple of quid behind the bar, not into Everton FC’s pocket mind.

I would like to know the whole story, were they asked for their tickets? Did the people who "ejected" them advise them why they were ejected. I would put a few quid down on the fact they were told it was a private fuction by paid invitation only and asked to leave.
Dick Fearon
30   Posted 17/02/2008 at 22:09:54

Tom Hughes, I agree that to be called a city Kirkby may not fulfill neccesary criteria whatever that may be. That being the case my query to Alfie becomes more cogent.
If his residential address really is Kirkby and he talks about keeping Everton in ’our’ city I can only assume that he considers himself to be a citizen of Liverpool and ipso facto that Kirkby is a part of the city.
That would shoot to pieces any argument he may have about city boundaries etc.
Dave Wilson
31   Posted 18/02/2008 at 08:44:39

Dick

there are scousers all of the country, indeed the world, who still call Liverpool "My city "
Everton represents the comunity and is as much a part of our heritage as St Georges Hall, or the Liver Buildings, or the Beates or anything else you want to associate with the city.

Kirkby is a Liverpool overspill populated by thousands and thousands of scousers, and judging by the people I know it seems predominantly blue, but its not "our city"
Tom Hughes
32   Posted 18/02/2008 at 09:56:29

Dick,
I have friends/relatives who live in Widnes, Runcorn and the Wirral who all say that we should stay in our/their city, they are all scouse exiles afterall. None would say that they actually live in that city because quite frankly it would be untrue. The same applies to Kirkby. It is not a city, and it is not in Liverpool.

However, to be honest my own stance would be the same if we chose to move to Gilmoss/croxteth or Speke (which I could walk to) which are all inside the boundary. It’s not that I’m against moving per se it’s simply the logistical nonsense of moving to the edge of a city that has only one public transport focus (the city centre), that is laid out in predominantly radial arterial routes (not a grid) with limited cross city routes. Stadia need mass transit provision from all areas across their catchment. Unlike the major German cities we have nothing like that, and there is no suggestion of such in any of the transport plans. I digress!!! ;)
Dave Flinton
33   Posted 18/02/2008 at 09:50:48

Keep up the good work KEIOC. Instead of properly shooting yourself in the foot you appear to have taken the very painful route of blowing off one toe at a time.

What you stand for is important but your current conduct is ridiculous (although I'm sure your'e more than happy at the amount of exposure your stunt has brought KEIOC at the expense of your self-worth and dignity.)
Tom Hughes
34   Posted 18/02/2008 at 11:05:01

As far as I know Alfie Hinks is no longer a member of KEIOC, so why have you attributed this to that group as a whole, it does not appear on their website or anywhere else as far as I know. This is a mail message from a disgruntled blue who rightly or wrongly feels aggrieved. Hardly KEIOC shooting itself in the foot...... meanwhile, how many toes have the club/Wyness shot off in this whole process? How many fabrications? How much misinformation? How have they managed to split the fanbase more than ever before? People need to get things into perspective here. Which is more important: the actions of the club or that of a few blues who have no direct influence on the club’s future? Who’s misdemeanours should concern us the most?
Andrew Gilbert
35   Posted 18/02/2008 at 12:18:48

Art Johnson - you hit the nail on the head!
Patty Beesley
36   Posted 18/02/2008 at 12:49:17

Think you are being a bit harsh here - it could be that when they saw KEIOC on the front of your t-shirts, it was thought that you had come to make trouble at the function and were there to heckle the speakers. If they did then they were justified in turfing you out. Did you see any other Everton supporters in the meeting?
Patty Beesley
37   Posted 18/02/2008 at 13:00:11

Some supporters are beyond!!

With the RS everything is the Yanks fault and with us everything is the Club?s fault... its not you know!!
Damian Wilde
38   Posted 18/02/2008 at 13:10:36

Tom Hughes,

Every post I see off you on here is negative and full of moaning. Don?t be so bitter all of your life. Relax Fella. You?re supposed to enjoy supporting your club.

Come on you Blues!
Guy Wilkinson
39   Posted 18/02/2008 at 13:20:42

If your name’s not down..... you’re not coming in..

Get a grip FFS
Neil Styles
40   Posted 18/02/2008 at 14:46:26

Alfie, I have utmost faith in our club and I firmly believe that what happened to you would be adhorred by all involved at the business end of Everton FC.
I urge you to write a letter or send an email to the club and let them know about this, I?m sure their response will be more in keeping with Evertonia.
Tom Hughes
41   Posted 18/02/2008 at 14:46:01

Damian
Where’s all my "moaning" prior to this thread. Highlighting facts isn’t moaning surely, most of which having come true already. To be honest, it’s very difficult to be positive about Kirkby. It’s hard to see how a even a YES voter could be given the fact that what they voted for bares little resemblance to what we have since learnt about this project. As far as being embittered etc, I can assure you I am completely relaxed, and as ever will continue enjoying my visits to Goodison.
EJ ruane
42   Posted 19/02/2008 at 10:10:03

Damian Wilde.

Are you familiar Aesop’s Fable’s?

Your post reminds me of this one.

THE ANT AND THE CRICKET.

During the wintertime, an ant was living off the grain that he had stored up for himself during the summer.

The cricket came to the ant and asked him to share some of his grain.

The ant said to the cricket, ’And what were you doing all summer long, since you weren’t gathering grain to eat?’

The cricket replied, ’Because I was busy singing I didn’t have time for the harvest.’

The ant laughed at the cricket’s reply, and hid his heaps of grain deeper in the ground.

’Since you sang like a fool in the summer,’ said the ant, ’you better be prepared to dance the winter away....and travel to a Reebok-style, two-bob ground, outside the city and sit in a 55,000 seater stadium with 38,000 people all saying "Well I never fuuckin’ voted for it like!"

Then spend two hours getting home.
Tony Williams
43   Posted 19/02/2008 at 13:22:40

Well said EJ ruane or maybe the Ant said, "Well I have been using this storage space for the last 50 years and I’ll be fucked if I am going elsewhere" and then stuck his head in the ground with his fingers in his ears shouting, "Nah nah nah nah nah, I can’t hear you!"
Eugene Ruane
44   Posted 19/02/2008 at 13:32:51

Ant?s with fingers!!?

You?re talking like an insane person lad!
Tony Williams
45   Posted 19/02/2008 at 17:41:51

Ha Ha Eugene, it has been said before. ;-)