Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Brian Harris

Sad to hear of the passing of another great Evertonian, Brian Harris. 360 appearances, League Championship & FA Cup Winners medals, Brian's record speaks for itself. An excellent player fondly remembered.
Ian  Pilkington, Adlington, Lancs.     Posted 17/02/2008 at 18:15:14

Comments

Teddy Draper
1   Posted 17/02/2008 at 16:30:43

My condolences to the family of Brian Harris, a True Gentleman, Footballer, and true Evertonian, RIP.
Norman Merrill
2   Posted 18/02/2008 at 07:37:53

My thoughts are with Bians family,

Mr versatile, has joined up with Labby
Bally, Wally, and Jim O?Neill.
along with all the other greats at rest,
Labby?s getting some team together.

God Bless you all.
Mick Wrende
3   Posted 18/02/2008 at 08:02:34

I remember him scoring the winning goal against Hull City in an FA cup replay. Gabriel, Labone, Harris - unbeatable.
Dick Fearon
4   Posted 18/02/2008 at 08:48:30

I cannot let go the passing of Brian without offering my sincere condolences to his family.
He was a powerful midfielder with a huge array of ball skills and loved to take opponents on.
In the Coach and Horses Maghull I shared a few pints with him but only in the off season. Once training began for the new season he laid off the beer.
Dick Fearon
5   Posted 18/02/2008 at 09:36:53

When I passed on the sad news about Brian, my wife, also a long time Bluenose reminded me of the time when he got nicknamed the Blonde Bombshell.
He fronted at the season start with platinum blonde hair.
The ladies thought it was great the blokes were a bit iffy.
Brian said it was bleached in the sun but we reckoned it was a hairdressers bleach job gone wrong.
John Corcoran
6   Posted 18/02/2008 at 10:19:36

I know that I speak on behalf of all Cardiff City fans to express our sincere condolences to Brian’s family. He was a great player for us and also a wonderful character. There are many glowing tributes on our websites this morning. RIP.
John McFarlane
7   Posted 18/02/2008 at 11:34:49

It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of Brian Harris. I was fortunate enough to be at Turf Moor, [August 1955] when Brian, and Jimmy Harris made league their debuts, and I was at Goodison for Brians final league appearance vs Newcatle United [October 1966].Although Brian was never an international player, he could be relied on to give of his best in a variety of positions. [ I can recall him on one occasion acting as a deputy goalkeeper, but the opposition eludes me for the moment.] I had the pleasure of meeting him at a number of Hall of Fame functions, and found him to be a modest unassuming man, a photo of Myself, Brian Harris, Brian Labone, Fred Pickering, and Derek Temple is among my treasured possessions.He will be sadly missed by Evertonians of my generation, R.I.P. Brian.
Barry Bridges
8   Posted 18/02/2008 at 12:47:08

Sad to hear of Brian’s death. He was the first player I met face to face. I was 8 when I went to my first match (5-0 v Blackpool in November 1962, the season we won the league) and lived in Maghull. Early in 1963 a school friend happened to mention that Brian Harris lived round the corner from him, and so one Sunday four of us (2 Blues and 2 Reds) trooped round to his house with our autograph books. He invited us in, and not only signed the books, but gave me the programme from the previous days match. At the time a lot of players from both clubs lived in club-owned houses in Maghull and Lydiate, and Brian told us who lived where. Within a few months our autograph books were filled with the signatures of heroes like Brian Labone, Gordon West, Alex Parker, Alex Young, Alex Scott, Tony Kay, Roy Vernon, George Heslop. (And a few Reds...St John, Yeats etc.) Most of the players were very friendly and would happily chat for a while. Sandy Brown would sometimes come down to the playing fields near the Meadows and have a kick around with us youngsters. The houses in the main were fairly modest semis. A few years ago I bought Brian Harris’ book and it brought back brilliant memories of the 60’s teams. He was great in the 1966 Cup Final, and it is so sad to think that 3 of that team have now passed away.
Tom Edwards
9   Posted 18/02/2008 at 14:53:57

I am too young to have seen Brian play, but my late father spoke of him in reverential tones. He was up there with Labby, Bally and The Golden Vision. Sad to see another great one depart, but as Norman says above, there is a great team reuniting up there.

My best wishes to Brian’s family at this difficult time.
Paul English
10   Posted 18/02/2008 at 15:34:17

Very sorry to hear of Brian’s passing away. Fantastic memories of a very classy player. One which stands out was when we played Arsenal at Goodison about 1965 Jim Furnell was in goal for the gunners,kicking into the park end Brian got the ball near the half way line took it on about 15yards and chipped the ball over Furnell for a magnificent goal.We won 3-1. Thanks Brian for the memories.
Ron Joynson
11   Posted 18/02/2008 at 16:22:24

Great guy, great player and great laugh. Sometime in the 70’s I was staying overnight at a work colleague’s place in Chepstow ans he tells me about an ex Everton player (he couldn’t remember his name) was running a pub nearby. Anyway I made him take me there and there he was Brian Harris - my hero.

We had a great night reminiscing as Tuesday night was a slow one in the Harris establishment with him referring to me as "scouse" all night to all his locals. Great night and one to remember for ever.

God bless Bri from all of us.