Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Anichebe ? the new Ferguson??

I have had the pleasure of watching Victor Anichebe since he was about 15-16 years old; his ability and strengh was evident then. This season he has shown he is ready to mix it at the highest level; he has attributes that mirror Big Dunc ? strong, in-your-face centre-forward that I love. His goals in Europe ? and especially the one where he shoulder-barged a centre-back on the way to scoring, ? are memorable; he is clearly learning his trade off the Big Yak... and similarities could be drawn. Fingers crossed, we have unearthed a new Ferguson!!
Chris Keightley, Harwich     Posted 18/02/2008 at 16:44:28

Comments

Michael Kenrick
Hnmmm... I love Victor's spirit and his slowly developing talent but I gotta be honest, I kinda cringe at such an association. I know for many Ferguson was a legend (what is it Joe Royle said about that...???). Yes, he gave us some (all too rare) wonderful moments against top opposition, but my abiding memory will be one of a lumbering Scottish oaf who liked to punch or strangle the opposition. Not my idea of the Everton Way... especially for one of our best upcoming talents. Why can't he just be Victor Anichebe in his own right?
Liam Coulton
1   Posted 18/02/2008 at 18:41:04

Lumbering scottish oaf? I really do hope that was a joke

To assess a player with such obvious natural talent is short sighted and pathetic..

Fergusons injury plagued career sadly meant he never fullfilled his obvious potential..

If victor can be half the player ferguson was, and more importantly stay fit. I’ll be happy
Paul Olsen
2   Posted 18/02/2008 at 18:50:11

Duncan = Legend. End of story

i hope Victor can be that type of player, although without the injuries and disiplinary problems :-)
Jay Harris
3   Posted 18/02/2008 at 18:54:53

Most of Duncan?s discplinary problems were more to do with his reputation than nastiness.
Simple Simon
4   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:08:03

"The man was a gentle giant who did not suffer fools gladly which is why so many Blues took him to heart. "

jayharris

LOL. I’ve heard BD called many things but ’gentle’ hasn’t figured until today.
Tim Kelly
5   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:03:24

I know this is abot Vic, but I have to say it:
To me Ferguson was someone who thought of himself first and the team later:

A stupid punch at Wigan a couple of minutes after coming on as sub, and nearly cost us the game.
It might add to his legendary status and make good video highights, but it did nothing for the team.

This was the same guy I saw as captain for the night many years earlier in a midweek cup game at Goodison vs Palace - it went to penalties and he wouldnt take one, let all the kids go up and take them instead. We lost, if I remember rightly.
Centre Forward? Captain? Legend?
Varun Rajwade
6   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:16:37

Duncan = Legend

End of discussion!!!!
Mick Murphy
7   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:28:46

Was Ferguson a legend in the eyes of Everton football fans or Everton scallies? I personly think in his second spell he was unfit at times, is form was more out than in and to be honest if any other Everton player had showed the Inconsistency big Dunc showed at times they would never have got away with it, injuries and Unnecessary sending offs if thats what legends on the pitch are made of, well not me, scored some great goals and led the line but a legend for all the wrong reasons.
Jay Fitz
8   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:41:08

I remember seeing what I think was Victor?s debut in the Senior Cup final at Goodison when we lost on penalties to Liverpool. He was absolutely hopeless and looked rather tall and lanky rather than the bulked up version we have today. He moaned at every decision and looked light years away from being a professional footballer.
Thankfully he?s improved a hell of a lot from that performance!
I think Joe Royle summed up Big Dunc best. No other player would have gotten away with his behaviour
David Nicholls
9   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:44:08

I really would love Vic Anichebe to prove me wrong but he has a long way to go before he convinces me that he has what it takes to become a top player at Everton.
If we continue our current progress the calibre of centre forward playing for us may have to be a cut above what Duncan was in his prime never mind young Vic who although is a useful impact player seems technically limited. Vaughny on the other hand, the skys the limit for that one of he stays injury free
Jimmy Fearns
10   Posted 18/02/2008 at 19:51:03

As far as I can remember, Big Dunc never asked to be called a legend, so why do some people have a problem with it if a lot of fans thought he was?
Michael Kenrick
11   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:03:18

And the people Big Dunc assaulted probably never asked to be assaulted... so what?s your point, Jimmy? If I remember correctly, Joe?s Royle?s quote was something like "He became a legend before he became a footballer"... which just about sums it up for me.

I don?t have any problem with fans for whom he was a legend; but for me he never was and never will be a true Everton legend because he rarely performed up to his ability and because his violent behavoiur on the field was for me totally unacceptable.
Juan Roman
12   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:07:32

It?s funny to watch how the pro-Dunc mob use "arguments" such as Dunc = legend compared to the not so pro-Dunc giving hard facts. Big Dunc was a very good talent (not great) who put his passion in the wrong place most of the time. Sure, his reputation did him no good as time went on but a punch is a punch and a headbutt is a headbutt. I don?t see the similarity with Victor at all. In fact I think Victor needs a kick up the arse a lot of the time, especially when he starts. I?d have Vaughan every day of the week on ability & desire.
Mick Simo
13   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:07:58

Jimmy, don?t recall any players asking to be called legend, he is a legend, but a legend more for his love of Everton and some of his mad moments, sending offs and catching house robbers in his house. On the pitch big Dunc was just to Inconsistent in a bad team at time. I see Howard Kendall as a true Everton Legend, and he has been assoicated with the club for 40 years, who took us to greatness and could have taken us even further but for 85 Euro ban. Harry Cattrick another True Everton legend... Dixie Dean, Alan Ball... it's a hard thing to become an EVERTON LEGEND
Stefan Tosev
14   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:24:35

Michael,

In your generation eyes Big Dunc may not be a legend but for me and people around my age (28-30) he was the only shining lights in a very dire decade.
Danny Broderick
15   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:23:36

Well said Mick Simo. I cringe when I hear people calling Big Dunc a legend. He had his moments, but was by and large disappointing for me. Let?s look at the facts. In his first spell at the club, he scored 30 goals in 140 games. In his 2nd spell, he scored 42 in 133 games. So 72 in 273 games. This does not make him a legend. He scored 1 goal every 4 games. He cost us countless points by getting sent off and by missing games through injury. And all the while he was earning top dollar. We are better off without him...
Tony McCann
16   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:21:19

I love the big Fella and think he could have become one of Everton?s true greats in a successful team, but we never had that team, so we will never know. For me, Big Dunc has not earned that right to sit at the top table with true legends like Dixie Dean, Alex Young and the holy Trinity of Ball, Harvey and Kendall or Big Nev, the best keeper in the world for a couple of seasons. Big Vic? ? jury's still out but he's got age on his side.
Michael Kenrick
17   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:32:33

Stefan, the shinning light of that decade (albeit too brief) was Andrei Kanchelskis.

In that one season, he gave me more pleasure as an Evertonian than Duncan Ferguson did in his entire career. Yes, things went south when he left the following season but for me that could not take anything away from what he had done for us on the field: superb performances, brilliant skills and fantastic goals.
Kieran Fitzgerald
18   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:44:00

Dunc had passion. That can carry alot of players in the eyes of fans. Unfortunately Dunc never harnessed that passion in relation to his skills as a footballer. All too often the passion spilled over into agression and violence.

Of all the players of that period who never lived up to their talents I would be more upset over Richard Dunne. Jeffers, Cadatmarteri and Ferguson never lived up to it and fell away badly. Dunne coped on to the fact that he was throwing it all away and look at the legend the guy is deservedly becoming at City.
Jimmy Fearns
19   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:43:16

Kanchelskis couldn't lace Big Duncs boots. You have your idols others have theirs.
Dutch Schaffaer
20   Posted 18/02/2008 at 20:46:32

The 90’s and particulary the Walter Smith era was such a dark time for Everton that Duncan was our one shining light.

To be honest its great when Yakubu, AJ or Anichebe score but their goals don’t make me roar like Duncan’s did.

Duncan loved the club, sure he was injury prone and on occaions a bit uninterested in the little games but he could destroy teams.

I have memories of Duncan being almost unplayable, destroying the likes of the big four.

When Duncan scored against Man Utd or Liverpool he would run to the crowd and roar like a warrior and I would be right there with him.

For a very brief time I felt the same way when Rooney scored but we all know how that ended. I just dont get the same feeling with the current crop of players.
Mike Robinson
21   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:02:05

Dunc was a legend but I hope we’ve moved on now. I agree that Victor should just be his own player.
Tony Part
22   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:02:52

Why label Anichebe as a new Ferguson?. I agree Victor must develop into his own player and we have had far too many comparisons with players over the years.Branch the new Fowler.. Jefferes the new Rush..Cadamarteri the new whatever he was labelled at the time...For me Anichebe doesnt play at all like Big Dunc..For one he doesnt look anything at all in the air, has he actually scored with a header yet? He bullies defenders but not in the same way Ferguson did ( when he felt like). . When Ferguson was on his game he was fantastic..I remember at Old Trafford in August 96 when he tormented Man United and scored twice in the first half and looked awesome yet in the second half he missed an absoloute gimme for his hat-trick..That sort of summed up Big Duncs Everton career..An enigma rolled into a mystery and a player who maybe had us all think of what may have been if he had not had so many injuries and had a better disciplinery record..He was one of my first heroes when I started watching Everton and haing seen Barlow and Angel before Dunc I was chuffed when he was at Everton in the mid 90s..Dont think Anichebe is anywhere in the same mould though..Let him be his own player and yes he does still have a long way to go..
James Murphy
23   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:03:45

For me Duncan Ferguson is a Everton Legend, he had a special bond with a lot of the fans, when he scored against Man U that year and he ran away howling like a red Indian, with his top above his head never forget it, he may not have reached the heights his talents deserved, through various things, bad team, volitile temper but the fans loved him and yeah he was a nut and didn’t give a fuck, but he was what the average lad who went the game could relate to at that time of failure on the pitch. For what ever reasons people might claim, Big Dunc was and still is a legend to many toffees.
Tony Part
24   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:21:20

You onften sometimes think of what Ferguson could have acheived if we had a better squad of players also..He did thrive on the fantastic service of Kanchelskis who I enjoyed watching so much during the 95/96 season, was there a better player than Kanchelskis during that spell? What a phenomenally direct player he was. And also flittingly Limpar who could be a matchwinner on his day..We had dogs of war in midfield but maybe if we had that Arteta style player there back then we would have seen an even better Ferguson in the games where he failed to live up to his billing..
Peter Pridgeon
25   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:03:25

I always staggers me when I read the word legend and who we as Evertonians hang this title upon.
DF had his moments but from the moment I cringed when I heard he had returned from Newcastle to the moment he parted the club he was an expensive liability.
I despise the term legend, its used by people who’s vocabulary is garnered from American television and cinema, however we are stuck with this adjective to describe players who have given fantastic service to the club with skill, commitment and loyalty.
Compare the legend of Alan Ball to that of Duncan Ferguson

Ball- 208 appearances -in 4 years- 66 goals from midfield

Ferguson 239 appearances- in 10 years- 61 goals from centre forward

Is that the making of a legend? the facts speak far louder than the fist waving.
Barry Cass
26   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:30:16

Duncan is a Legend end of story !!
robert carney
27   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:33:16

Peter & Michael, you both have it spot on. If Victor Anichibto turned out like Ferguson it means we will still be in the doldurms six years from now. Also a bunch of our fans would have nothing better than a large overpaid bully to look up to.

More like leg end than legend.
Ray Robinson
28   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:46:53

Vic has poor close ball control, doesn?t score with his head and doesn?t seem to be a passionate sort of guy, so I can?t really see what the author is getting at here. Must admit, the only comparison that I can see is that neither can be bothered running around a lot!

David Nicholls came closest to my way of thinking.
Andy Morden
29   Posted 18/02/2008 at 22:03:54

Christ, if Big Dunc was the ’shining light’ of the 90’s then I am a haddock. As Michael says the best player we had was Kanchelskis during that period. And during the 95 cup run the players who stand out for me are Daniel Amokachi for his suberb cameo in the Semi and of course Paul Rideout for his Johnny on the spot heroics. They give me far better memories, no matter how brief. And no, they probably aren’t legends either.
Steve Ferns
30   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:21:11

Stefan, I?m slap bang in your age group.

I?d go as far as to say I despised Big Dunc and everything he stood for. A overhyped alcoholic chain smoking violent yob.

Yes, the big fella was talented. Yes, he was one of the greatest headers of a ball of the modern era. Yes, he had a great passing ability, touch and vision. And yes, in the big games he could turn in a game in a flash. He gave us kids of late 80s and early 90s a ray of hope in what was a decade of despair.

But for me, he was a waste of talent. He was paid over the odds and yet he couldn?t lay off the booze and fags. He was often caught out on the town the night before games. How could someone paid so much money but a good night out before playing professional football, let alone playing professional football for my beloved Everton? There is a big link to injuries, particularly injury recovery time, and alcohol. In short, Duncan pissed his talent up the wall and that broke my heart.

If that was not enough, then it was everything else he repesented. I may be only 29, but I was there before the glory days of the 80s started as a little kid (5 to be precise). I remember seeing Tricky Trev, Inchy and Sharpy first hand and seeing that proper Everton brand of football. Duncan in the team usually meant long ball after long ball, I know that was not really his fault, but I hated watching it.

Then there was the thuggery. Duncan made Everton a team to hate. Everyone hated us for being violent thugs and Duncan wound everyone up so much that it is no wonder the media hates us still. I will never forget seeing Duncan punch the centre-half one game when the ball was down the other end. Duncan was an anti-Everton figure for me.

Duncan does not deserve to be called a legend, we are not a two-bit team, we are Everton, we have a proud history and the only mention Duncan should have in it is a mention for his role in the Utd game when we got 4th in 2004.

For every high Duncan brought us, I could easily find 3 or 4 lows. He was nothing short of a disappointment and a down right disgrace to the club.

There I?ve got that off my chest.
Mave Cryslaugh
31   Posted 18/02/2008 at 22:13:45

Dutch sums it up for me, legend!
Chris Banasko
32   Posted 18/02/2008 at 21:47:49

Firstly to compare Big Dunk with Anichebe is laughable. Duncan Ferguson was loved by Evertonians because he was Everton through and through, not because of his abilities. He was a good player but sadly his career was plagued with injuries. Anichebe on the other hand does not have the potential Ferguson had at a similar age. They are two completely different players.

To be honest I dont see any potential in Anichebe whatsoever. He is big and strong but lacks a first touch, can?t finish, never shoots, never takes a man on an if we are comparing him to Ferguson Anichebe?s heading abilities are non-existent. If Anichebe was at another club would you want to sign him? No, would be my answer.
John Andrews
33   Posted 18/02/2008 at 22:43:25

I hate to piss on certain people's chips but there is no doubt that Duncan Ferguson is/was an absolute legend in my eyes.
I recall seeing him at Wimbledon, who were then playing at Palace, and not even the mighty Vinnie Jones would go anywhere near him.
There were times when he was always injured, times when he appeared disinterested but also times when he was unstoppable.
To call him a disgrace to the club does the great man a disservice. There was just something about him that galvanised the fans. Probably his love of the club and the fans?
Connor Rohrer
34   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:00:38

Duncan is a legend of the 90s. He was one of the few shining lights of that decade. If it hadn’t been such a shit period for the club then he probably wouldn’t have been a legend. He probably would have been the complete opposite if I’m honest: A boo boy. Injury prone, lack of effort etc would have made him a firm favorite of the boo boys.

But thankfully thats not the case. He did keep us up on his own on a few occasions and that for me that is as good as Graeme Sharp lifting the league title. Just a question. Do fans see Kevin Campbell as a legend? I do as he also kept us up virtually on his own.
Steve Ferns
35   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:27:15

I?m thankful to Super Kev, but he?s no legend.

As for Dunc keeping us up, he kept us down. We could have paid his wages to someone who could have played regularly and scored the goals to get us up the table.
Dutch Schaffaer
36   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:29:15

Big Dunc?s legendary status isn?t about his footballing stats. Its about a guy who loved the club, cherised the fans, did a huge amount of behind-the-scenes charity work, regulary destroyed Liverpool and Man Utd, played with passion and roared like a Spartan warrior.

Big Dunc was a character on and off the field. The 90s was one of the darkest times for Everton fans and he really was a shining light in our moment of need.

I miss him.
Colin Jones
37   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:33:51

Ferguson’s no hero of mine. He was a poor to mediocre striker with discipline problems.
Steve Ferns
38   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:35:42

Duncan held us back, and I?m glad he?s gone. He was a disgrace.
Gavin Harris
39   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:31:46

I have to say I agree what Michael is saying. Ferguson was all heart and passion but no one can say he lived up to his potenial and was value for money. His goal ratio was very poor considering his wages and heardly ever played. My mates used to call him Fergie the Tampon becuase he was in for a week and then out for a month.

I can recall a day when my mam said to us (my family in Wales are all Everton mad) that we were better off without Fergie because our long ball game was costing us points. We laughed at her at the time but she was spot on. We sold him and got in Campbell. After that we had to change our game to suit him and Jeffers and it paid off and no doubt saved us that season.

Saying all this, the man is a tidy bloke and is Everton through and through, something you can't say for many these days.
Connor Rohrer
40   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:21:07

I?m disappointed with a lot of fans' perceptions of Anichebe. Are people trying to tell me he isn?t passionate or arsed about making it at Everton? In my opinion, he loves the club just as much as anyone. He grew up in Liverpool, he is an Evertonian and he came through our academy. Just because he doesn?t punch opponents or show his aggression does not mean he doesn?t love playing for us. He?s a laid back lad. Just like Yakubu and just like Fernandes who are also slated for being "disinterested".

In terms of ability Anichebe could very well be better than Ferguson. Dunc was a good player but he was no great shakes and someone up and coming like Victor or Vaughany could very well better him. People forget how bad Ferguson?s goalscoring record was. It was pretty poor whereas Victor Anichebe?s despite his tender years has a good goals to game ratio.

What I don?t get is how people will write the kid off so soon. 17 full starts into his professional career and he?s supposedly not good enough. He needs time to develop and he needs time to sharpen his tools and get used to using them more frequently through games.

People go on about touch and technique but not everyone has a "Berbatov touch". If the likes of Andy Johnson, Emile Heskey, Carlton Cole, Cameron Jerome and Darren Bent can make it then Anichebe can. None of those players have good technical attributes yet are all capable Premier League players. At the moment Anichebe has pace and power in abundance, looks a capable finisher and has decent aerial ability also. If he can work on his touch and get more experience of playing regularly to boost his confidence then I believe he could be a very good asset to this club.

You just have to look at Gabriel Agbonlahor at Villa. My Villa friend says every time we talk about him that he has a poor touch and a poor football brain but he?s looking decent at the moment. Not the finished article by any means but progressing and improving his weak spots. He?s got 2 years on Victor and I?m hoping that when Anichebe?s around that age he?ll be at a similar level.

I?ve got to admit though if there?s one player who reminds me of Duncan Ferguson in our current team then its James Vaughan. In terms of aggression, fight and spirit he matches Dunc in every department. Luckily he channels his aggression in a good way.
Steve Ferns
41   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:52:50

I just hope Anichebe can be a young Kevin Campbell, I?ll be made up if he can be like him.
Peter Grealey
42   Posted 18/02/2008 at 23:50:10

To call Duncan a disgrace is pathetic. This is the man who cryed his eyes out when he was told he had to leave the club. Big Dunc IS a legend for reasons only the aveage person off the street would understand. No point trying to explain it to anybody else because they won’t get it.
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
43   Posted 19/02/2008 at 00:32:50

Legends come in all shapes, sizes and colours, and quite often their failings and darker sides add to their aura. Yes Dunc could exasperate but he was, and is, a legend. Fans will still be talking about him for a while after I am dead (and at 48 I plan to be a rounds for a good while yet).

Players like Len Shackleton, Keith Weller, Frank Worthington - they are legion - all had their minus points but they’re still legends - even to some who didn’t support the clubs they played for.
Adam Lock
44   Posted 19/02/2008 at 00:38:28

The reference to Dunc being a spartan is spot on.

Sometimes its not the ability of the player that makes a legend, its the passion about the club. No one could dispute that Dunc loves Everton, and would have laid down his life for it - didn’t he pass up a lucrative offer from the lower leagues when he retired, rather than not play for Everton?

I may be being emotional, but give me a player who like Duncan, who loves the club, than some mercenary like Kuyt any day of the week.

Thats what makes Everton special.

To me, with the Duncan era, the results were secondary, having a player who was so ferocious about his team, and you could boast about, regardless of results, ment more to me.

I agree about Kanchelskis, but the outstanding player of that era for me was Joe Parkinson
Peter Pridgeon
45   Posted 19/02/2008 at 01:24:03

Get real Adam
"No one could dispute that Dunc loves Everton, and would have laid down his life for it."

Fuck, I would dispute the main premise of that statement. "he would lay down his life for it"... Would you? Would anyone? Could anyone who is thought to be reasonably sane do this?

I am glad you think results were secondary... did it make you happy that most of the time he was at the club we won nothing and spent the entire time fighting for premiership survival? That the club became a byword for relegation strugglers, that the reason we are not fighting for the Premier League title right now is that we spent 20 years with this attitude while Arsenal, Liverpool and Man United cleaned up.

It is because we accepted 10 years of mediocrity with a saluted fist as our trophies that we find ourselves overjoyed that we may claim fourth spot, not first spot. Get real, I, and I am sure many others who contribute here do not accept this over real football.
Matt Traynor
46   Posted 19/02/2008 at 02:11:26

Duncan will always polarise Evertonian’s views - as this thread ably demonstrates.

Steve Ferns has it pretty much spot on to my mind. The guy had incredible skill - particularly with his feet which for a lanky forward is rare. He also had bravery.

Sadly we only saw a fraction of what he was capable of. He didn’t want to join us, but when he was idolised, he loved back.

Duncan is gone, and I think (hope?) Everton Football Club is a different proposition now.
Jason Lam
47   Posted 19/02/2008 at 02:21:07

Everton were a piss poor team back then. Anyone remember us signing Gary Ablett? And what was it will us signing spuds and barcodes rejects all of a sudden? Big Dunc (and later Rhino) made me proud, that we didn’t get pissed on all over the field in a team of wankers. Yeah, they were crap at times but so was everything at Goodison. You have good times and bad times and with the cards played out to us back then Big Dunc gave us some pride. I guess Peter Reid would be pulling his hair out had he been playing in our mediocre team of the 90s. We won the 95 FA Cup final with the Dogs Of War attitude. Played any other way and Man U wouldn’t ripped us apart. You just have to adjust to the times and back then it was pretty dark.
George Stuart
48   Posted 19/02/2008 at 02:58:07

The ledgend theme is interesting. For me it takes a lot, Bill Dean, Alan Ball, Catterick, all yes. Brian Labone too reveals me as an Evertonian of a certain age.

Sagar, perhaps not, Latchford? Maybe.. ish, hmm, a shining light in a dark time as was the other Duncan.

Others from history but denied access for me, TE Jones and Jack Sharpe et al.

What of Howard Kendall ? Boarderline, like Larchford.

Alex Young? No question. His light did not burn long but It burned oh so brightly.

And potentially the greatest of them all, a footnote in the Everton story and a footnote in the Ronaldo story. If he did but know (but he was a child in the company of shrewed and cynical men, we must all remember).
Peter Corcoran
49   Posted 19/02/2008 at 06:43:40

I am agreeing with Michael Kenrick and Tim Kelly (Tim it was v Sunderland and Bakayoko was made to take the last penalty ? really brave stuff eh Duncan?).

I know some fans thought of Duncan as a legend but he was, in my opinion, a million miles away from being one in the Everton way ? more of a liability for his sendings off at vital times in the season when we were fighting relegation (Derby, Boilton) and if he was such a legend why were we fighting relegation?

Having said that I cannot express how appreciative I was for the goal aginst Man U that effectively sealed the start of our European treks.
Martin Berry
50   Posted 19/02/2008 at 08:33:55

Duncan was seen as hero during a time when we had little to shout about, albeit the 95 Cup Final win, masterminded by the man who was real legend ?Joe Royle, to compare Ferguson to Royle, Sharp or Latchford is just an insult to the latter. As for bravery and commitment, I suggest you also look at the scorer of that winning goal in 95, Rideout, far braver and commited than Ferguson, and his record is far better, yes we forget don't we.

All this talk of "Legend" just does not add up. I think that Victor at this stage in his development is far ahead of what Ferguson was. We probably don't realise yet what fanatstic young players we have in Victor and James, what a partnership this will become under Moyes's handling. Provided we can keep the ?

Phill Sidney
51   Posted 19/02/2008 at 09:07:32

Was Ferguson a legend in the eyes of Everton football fans or Everton scallies?

Mick, that comment kind of infers you can’t be both. Thats rubbish mate, with respect.

I think of Dunc as more of a ’cult’ hero rather than a legend. But in these days of, seemingly, less pasionate players, to have a hero figure who loves YOUR club is an increasing rarity.
Alan.Codd
52   Posted 19/02/2008 at 09:25:31

For me Duncan gave the fans a hero at a time that was very shite to be a blue.
He gave hope and inspiration to others during this time.
Although plaugued by injury to me the Big fella will always be held in high regard.
The guys loves the club to bits and to be honest Id have him back around the club tomorow.
Richard Parker
53   Posted 19/02/2008 at 09:33:14

I loved Big Dunc for his love of our club and for what I always hoped he could be (and what he should have been). He never got there and for me Dunc was a big disappointment, I still love him but he’s not an Everton legend.

I’m 29 and there have been few Everton legends in the time I’ve been watching, I was just old enough to remember being at Goodison the day we lifted the championship in 1987.

Neville Southall = Legend
Graeme Sharpe = Legend
Kevin Ratcliffe = Legend

Big Dunc isn’t fit to be mentioned in the same breath as those players. Super Kev did more to help Everton than Big Dunc.

But I still love him.
Steve Ferns
54   Posted 19/02/2008 at 09:45:31

Alan, if Duncan loved the club to bits, why did he go on the piss before games. Why did he not lay off the booze and fags? Surely Duncan’s love cannot be compared to that of Dave Watson, and he was a kopite. He truly was an Evertonian through and through and far more worthy of the term legend, but still a bit short for my liking.

A legend has to be someone like Dixie Dean, Tommy Lawton, Alan Ball, Harry Cattrick, Alex Young, or Neville Southall. Someone who really stands out in a team of exellence. There should only be a handful of Everton Legends not one every five years.
Chris Briddon
55   Posted 19/02/2008 at 10:24:23

The thing is, everybodys comparing Dunc to Southall, Sharp, Ratcliffe, or Kendall & Ball. The distinct difference is they were good players with a good team around them. Dunc was the shining light in a crap team.

As for the Kancheslkis suggestion - a great example, brilliant one season- the next weren’t as good so he lost interest and went to Italy - what a great example that is to set ’When the going gets tough - get the first plane out!’

Duncan, unfortunately never lived up to the potential of his early career - mainly due to horrendous injury problems. No his goal scroing record wasn’t great (but neither was Everton’s at the time) also he created a number of opportunites for others by causing havoc and assists in the penalty area. - rooneys goal scoring record isn’t that great either but nobody moans at him for it!

The only tarnish on Duncs record was the 2nd spell, when he was seriously injury prone - maybe Walter should never have bought him back - but thats easy to say in hindsight - at the time I was delighted.

Duncan summed up what most supporters wanted to see in their team at that time - passion, commitment, desire, hunger and a bit of ability as well. If the rest of the team played like him, it wouldn’t have struggled anywhere near as much!
Peter Corcoran
56   Posted 19/02/2008 at 10:54:14

Chris B

You are deluding yourself.

The only tarnish on his second spell record were his injuries - give it a rest, what about the numerous times he just could not be bothered, unless it involved thumping an opposition player?

Passion, desire and Hunger are not words you could use very often to describe DF, maybe against LFC of ManU but that?s where it ends.

Andy Callan
57   Posted 19/02/2008 at 11:37:06

You lot have all lost the point of the original post...

Dunc was great while he was at Goodison; he had passion and wound us all up. However, he did flatter to decieve a lot of the time and personally I think that he could have done better if he had applied himself a bit more.

Therefore I hope Victor proves to be better and more reliable than the Burgler Basher....

Dean is an Everton legend; Southall is an Everton legend, Ball is an Everton legend and somehow, much though as I loved him, I don?t think Dunc measures up there with the like of the above named.
Patty Beesley
58   Posted 19/02/2008 at 11:19:08

All I know is that I worshipped Duncan Ferguson - his abillity to get in there and battle, his love for Everton so much so that he had the crest tatooed on his arm, the day he retired and cried whilst walking around the pitch with his family receiving the crowd?s accolades. I think he was great.

I cried when he was sold to Newcastle because I knew he would no longer be there to terrorise Liverpool for us as he always did. What people want to remember is that his reputation [like Andy Johnson?s supposed diving!!] went before him. When he came on the pitch the referees and linesmen were itching to send him off for the slightest foul and you know it. And as for that assault on that German Spurs player - can?t remember his name now - he asked for it.

So lovers of Duncan are Everton scallies are they - well I?m not an Everton Scallie and I adored him. What you want to remember is that if it hadn?t have been for Collina, Duncan Ferguson?s goal, with which there was nothing wrong, would have equalised our tally with Villarreal in the Champions Leaguje game - then he would have been a hero wouldn?t he guys?

Legend?

Gareth Hughes
59   Posted 19/02/2008 at 11:56:28

Just a quick one for Michael Kenrick. Like you, I was never overly taken with Duncan Ferguson but your criticism was way over the top! In that dreadful 97-98 season under Kendall, Duncan was immense for us, playing a huge part in our ultimate survival. Michael, you call him a ?lumbering Scottish oaf?. Apart from the worrying racist overtones(what has being Scottish got to do with anything?), I would only ask; would you say this to Duncan Ferguson?s face, man to man, rather than from behind the safety of a computer screen? No, I thought not.
Craig Walker
60   Posted 19/02/2008 at 13:51:22

I don’t know an Everton player who polarised opinion as much as Big Dunc. My dad and I used to argue all the time. I worshipped the man and dad hated him. I’ll never forget being a student in Cardiff in a room full of red shite fans watching Joe Royle’s first match. We were bottom of the league at the time. The kop shite fans laughed at our team lineup. The jubilation when he headed that goal and sent David James, John Scales and the ball into the Gwladys Street net will live with me forever. As will the goal against United in ’95 and the other derby goals he got. I remember him scoring two at Old Trafford and silencing the place. I recall the hat trick against Bolton which proved decisive in keeping us up that year. The hat trick at Wimbledon when he was in his pomp. His cameo appearances a few seasons back gained us 4th place and featured that memorable goal against United. Sure he wasn’t the most graceful of Everton players but he gave us hope in games when we had nothing else. For that I think he deserves to go down as an Everton legend.
David Cornmell
61   Posted 19/02/2008 at 19:50:40

As with everything Everton, there’s two very divided camps. {Kenwright good/bad, Kirby good/bad et al}.

As far as Victor goes, I don’t see a lot of Platini in his play - but the lad seems to have the most important attribute any striker can have. He seems to be in the right place at the right time, something that a certain Ian Rush also used to have. {Especially against us - does anyone remember when Leeds knocked us out the FA Cup? Who else but Rushy - the only fucken goal he EVER scored for them}. As the arl fella used to say, it’d hit Rushies arse and go in - but they all count.

To my mind, a legend is someone whose period of service to the club is remembered by every fan with both pride and pleasure. Alan Ball, Dixie Dean, Neville Southall - undoubted legends. The divisive nature of this page indicates that "Duncan Disorderly" is most certainly not a legend. A cult hero, an enigma, a crowd favourite - whatever you like - but not a legend.