Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

45 for Van der Man?

With a fully fit squad available for the 2nd leg v Brann ? 2 away goals in the bag ? I was thinking is it worth givign Van der Meyde 45 minutes tonight?

I know we have Peanuts, Harry Hill, Arteta, Ossie, Timmy, Manny and Mad Dog all in with a shout for a place, but now finally injury free, is this not a good opportunity to give Van 45 to gain some much needed match practice/put in the shop window?
Si Harwood, Botlon     Posted 21/02/2008 at 12:08:17

Comments

Tony Williams
1   Posted 21/02/2008 at 13:56:23

ha ha ha ha ha the shop....he he ha ha put him in the shhhhha ha ha ha he he I can’t breathe.....he he he ha ha ha put him in the shhhha ha....sorry sorry , put him in the shhhhha ha ha sorry just can;t finish that sentence.

Short answer - No
Chris Keightley
2   Posted 21/02/2008 at 13:56:05

I wouldn't give him 45 seconds even if he came on with 10 mins to go scored a hat-trick I'd still call him a lazy fat useless pisshead ? waste of the club's money!!!
Chris McCullough
3   Posted 21/02/2008 at 13:56:19

Good point; but only put him in if we are winning at half time. hopefully Fernandes, Arteta and Pienaar will start together with Vaughan and Yak up front. With those players in the team, we have the potential to play beautiful football.
Chris Masey
4   Posted 21/02/2008 at 14:02:46

How will he play? I?m meeting him in the spellow for a pint, to discuss the possible purchase of a Rolex watch...
Clyde McPhatter
5   Posted 21/02/2008 at 13:53:34

I understand where you are coming from, Si, but if Moyes hasn?t featured him yet this season, he certainly isnt going to start using him now. We have 10 choices for players in two different formations. (Yak, AJ, the 2 youngsters, Timmy, Osman, Stevie P., Manny, Carsley, Arteta,and I?m not even counting on Phil or Jags in a midfield role) I think he would be 13th choice. I don?t think we would get a bale of wire for him now, so I guess we wait until his contract runs out, and he disappears from our view. It?s too bad, but at the time it seemed reasonable to go and get him, but he came in unfit both physically and mentally, and sometimes you just have to let it go. I do feel a bit sorry for him, and can you imagine turning up every day for training and never getting a game?
John Lloyd
6   Posted 21/02/2008 at 14:18:53

Every time theres a European game this idea/thread pops up. Why?

I won't go any further beacause I think Tony Williams response gives this the respect it deserves......

Again, short answer = NO
Gary O'Brien
7   Posted 21/02/2008 at 14:24:17

You can't be serious!!! He is one of the worst players I've seen put on the royal blue shirt of Everton! What a waste of money! Have you got any more jokes??? Come on you mighty blue boys!
Darren Frankland
8   Posted 21/02/2008 at 14:28:35

God almighty Moyes stated yesterday that he is not looking to weaken the team or rest anyone so why on earth would he consider this?
Shop window? ..... It?s pretty clear he was a mistake signing and will move on for a minimal fee or for free to a minor Dutch outfit in the summer.
Ean Palese
9   Posted 21/02/2008 at 14:39:31

You really think he is one of worst players ever to wear a blue?! You must be having as many pints as he has. He is fit and ready to contribute. He has to best technical ability on the the team (save Arteta). He is the best crosser of the ball and can deliver the goods. It?s a pity that some of you are so close-minded. COYB!
Brian Wolf
10   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:01:09

I hope he plays, I’m robbing his house tonight!!!!
Steve Hopkins
11   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:02:12

Where did you get that idea from Ean? The infamous youtube video?

Your whole post should be in the past tense! Maybe he WAS a good crosser, maybe he HAD good technical ability, maybe he COULD deliver the goods. But he NEVER has!

Gazza WAS the best English player of his generation but was he any good when he played for us? No! Would you have him back now? No!

Players get past it and its not always due to age!!
Brian Wolf
12   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:09:04

We’d be hard pressed to have Gazza back now Steve.

We’d have to spring him from the loony bin.
Steve Hopkins
13   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:10:38

Maybe he’d bring Frank Bruno along with him Brian, they could provide the half time drinks and entertainment!
Jay Harris
14   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:04:05

Ean Palese
I?m with you in spirit but my head tells me that anyone who has had his problems and lack of first team match fitness is I am afraid now a liability.
It?s a shame because he could have been the player we really need (a skillful winger)
but thats football.
Martin Berry
15   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:19:46

If Moyes didn't rate Van der Meyde, then he would have been long gone. It's obvious the lad has ability, but as we know has had fitness and personal problems. I think that Moyes will get him in the shape of his life, then hopefully, if no more injuries we will see the best of him. Then maybe, just maybe we will understnd why he has been allowed to stay. We have until the end of the season to find out. He just could be a real bonus as the Yak would lap up them crosses
Brett Bradshaw
16   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:32:05

If he was purely useless I don’t think he would even be at the club. Moyes has had plenty of chances to get rid but has he?

The problem (for him) is he is slipping further and further down the pecking order.

He will need to get superfit (by his standards) and take his chances if and when they come, which wont be tonight but maybe in a month or two.
Dean Williamson
17   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:41:28

Heres a good joke:

I hear Benitez is taking over from Fidel Castro in Cuba as he wont allow the Americans in either.
Graham Nolan
18   Posted 21/02/2008 at 15:45:17

Fellow Evertonians, the footballer formerly known as Andy Van Der Meyde no longer exists. He has been replaced by an overwieght Dutch drunkard.
Can we please, pretty please just pretend that ADVM has left Everton to join the circus?
Brian Waring
19   Posted 21/02/2008 at 16:07:13

Martin, Brett, maybe the reason why Moyes hasn?t got rid of him, is that there are no takers for the waste of space. Also, if we where to just sack him, wouldn?t it have cost us a fortune to pay him up on the rest of his contract? The man, has had chance after chance, and he keeps blowing it.
Ben Jones
20   Posted 21/02/2008 at 16:24:11

I think it’s pretty harsh on him for some criticism.. especially from that idiot Tony Williams. Yes, Van der Meyde has had his troubles, but it doesn’t help with Andy Van der Meyde having his daughter in intensive care in Alder Hey, does it? So please sympathise for god sake! I mean I’d give him a chance in the game, not from the start and probably not even 45 mins, but some time in the second half. If he was so useless, Moyes would have got rid of him by now. And to beat Brian’s point Moyes definitely would have the guts to sack him from the club if no one wanted him. So yeah, I would give him another chance.
Liam Reilly
21   Posted 21/02/2008 at 16:34:03

I seem to remember when he last had a short run in the side, he picked up a couple of MOM awards on the official web site, but unfortunately his troubles caught up with him again.

I don’t think it could hurt to give him another chance especially with so many games approaching now and until the seasons end.
Andy Brittenden
22   Posted 21/02/2008 at 16:43:57

John Lloyd, yes it really is ridiculous to consider a player with European experience to play in a european competition isn’t it? How stupid of Si to suggest it eh? Get a grip, what HARM does it do playing the guy for 45 mins if the tie is sewn up? Sod all! I tell you what lets just say bollocks to it and leave the guy to rot in the reserves and don’t worry about the thousands of pounds we waste every week in his wages then?
Trudy Boston
23   Posted 21/02/2008 at 16:46:40

Let Van der Meyde have 45 minutes by all means , even longer if possible. We have a fully fit squad to pick from tonight apart from someone I can't recall.

Like yakubu, Van der Meyde has fallen foul of the letter of the law at Goodison in recent times and has been punished rightly so by Moyes as he sees fit for each players wrong doings.

I have just remembered its that Spurs player on loan who can't make it, but with all respect to the player we have more than enough in our locker to care of matters this night. But give the Dutchman the chance to impress and regain some favouritism with the Goodison faithful on a night when anything goes. Looking forward to tonight's contest.
Dan
24   Posted 21/02/2008 at 16:56:15

Please bring Andy on! For me it is a big YES!
Caron Jôs
25   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:05:37

He probably wasn't even selected by Moyes to play in the Uefa Cup. Arent you allowed only like 25 players? The squad currently has 25 players better than Van der Meyde... easy!!
Alex O'Brien
26   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:01:00

Oh give the lad a go eh and stop having a go at him you lot. How would you perform if one of your daughters or sons was permanently in hospital? I would suggest your mind would?nt completely be focussed on football would it? Give him a run out and see how he goes. Yes, he?s been a tit since he?s been here and has been a terrible dissapointment but a 30 minute run out won?t do anyone any harm.
Kieran Kinsella
27   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:07:06

Yeah lets use Andy and Grav because as our city rivals can attest to it is always a great idea to send out a weakened side.
Tom Campbell
28   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:04:15

If we are winning with 0 mins to go , bring him and see what he can do........ I don't think hes as bad as ye all seem to think...
Tom Campbell
29   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:10:01

if we are winnig with 20 mins to go , bring him and see what he can do........ I dont think hes as bad as ye all seem to think
Kunal Desai
30   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:01:25

The bar*tard should be made to suffer!! He’s given nothing to Everton since he moved. He won’t play any further this season unless we have a mamouth injury crisis. Moyes is smart - winding his contract down slowly without playing him and let him leave in the summer or for free the year after.
Stuart Mitchell
31   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:16:01

To be fair, he has never really had a run in the team to prove himself.

I know alot of that is due to his own personal problems and also many injurys, but when he signed we were all excited.

He was such a talent at Ajax and to a lesser degree at Inter.

If somehow he hit those heights again, he could be a very good player for us.

Sadly I doubt this will happen, but I would love to see him get 30 mins tonight.
Tony Williams
32   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:20:58

Ben Jones take a look at my post again, I was laughing at the point about him being in the shop window so less of the righteous indignation mate.

Nothing to do with his daughter being ill or his form, the fact is I was pissing myself laughing at the idea that someone would actually come in and buy him.

Idiot ;-)
Brian Wolf
33   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:24:08

Never mind AVDM.

I’m fully expecting to see Gascoigne tearing around the pitch tonight starkers screaming "they’re coming to take me away haha hehe haha."
Allan Barratt
34   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:26:56

I?d be very shocked to ever see AVDM play for us again, he?ll rot in on the bench & in the reserves till his contract runs out.
Andy Brittenden
35   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:26:55

Tony Williams,

The question in the original post was "Should VDM get 45 mins?" to which you replied "SHORT ANSWER NO" preceded by some very comical laughing.... not sure here but at what point do you actually question whether anyone would come in and buy him?

Just thought you might wanna consider that before you call your fellow fans idiots again?
John Lloyd
36   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:25:58

Andy Brittendan - what it would do, seen as though you actually want me to get into it is
- send message to the reserves/youngsters that you can behave however the fuck you want & still get exposure in a big game.
- piss the fans off who have seen him about town getting sloshed about town
Which brings me on to the point of his ill daughter, I have a daughter & if she had a condition as serious as his I wouldnt be on the town as much as he is, not was, IS.

Stop looking at what could of beens like that waster & look at the potentail to give Vaughan, Pienaar (after injury), Baines or Nuno, Big Vic & maybe even Rodwell or Gosling a run out. Players who have actually applied themselves professionally & have looked half decent in thier appearences.

I also agree that a couple of seasons back he came into side (06 I think) and looked decent, good crosses & lively on the flank. But that was 2 years ago!!! He’s done bugger all since & the people who watch the reserve games will tell you he is one of the poorer players in a very young & inexperienced side.

Turn it in lad.
Now I’ve gotta knock off for to get to the boozer before game, an if he gets a game I will personally eat my own shirt
Andy Brittenden
37   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:34:12

John Lloyd,

You mean like Yakubu then ... six months he?s been here and two fines? but that?s alright that isn?t it?
Tony Williams
38   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:39:12

Andy, look at the post again mate and the frequent use/or start of the sentence "The shop window"

Also look at Ben’s post where he called me an idiot and then look at the winking face when I call him it.

A bit different isn’t it?
Sean McArthur
39   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:40:23

He once had all the qualities Ean mentioned and......he?s a pisshead who has cost the club (us)millions!
Let the idle bastard rot.
John Lloyd
40   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:40:47

Yakubu was bought for £11m pound with a proven premiership scoring record. Yes he has behaved badly but the club needs returns on a purchase like that. Anyone involved with the club would understand that & down to his ability would welcome him back after punishment.

Whereas AVdM was a gamble by Moyes, bought with injury problems for a small fee in a chance by the player to re-establish himself and he’s done fuck all. Either injured, bladdered or moaning about something then taking it back when he gets back from holland!!

So its hardly the same is it?
P-s - your not his agent or anything are you?
Andy Brittenden
41   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:42:44

So what was your original reply intended to convey?
Andy Brittenden
42   Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:45:30

Of course it?s the same! ALL the players represent an investment and it is bad management to invest in a resource and then not use it! My point with Yakubu is that he fell foul of Moyes about a month after coming to the club ... and then goes AWOL round about the time the club have been firing blanks, a time when nil-nil does not help our quest for Champions League.

All I?m saying is, lets play the bloke and see what happens or cancel his contract for a settlement fee and get him off the wages, don?t let him sit on the bench earning a bloody fortune ... now that sends a shit message to the youngsters doesn?t it.

And I don?t think any person has the right to tell a parent how to cope with their child being ill.....
Dominic Fitzpatrick
43   Posted 21/02/2008 at 18:59:14

Some of the responses to this post remind me of why sometimes I dislike football fans.

Fickle, uneducated and easily led astray by the media.

Its funny David Moyes doesn’t seem to share the sentiments of some on this thread, yet people would rather listen to what the papers tell them rather than the manager of the football club they follow.

In answer to the original question, no, I can’t see van der Meyde playing. Certainly not with a fully fit squad to choose from. In fact I’d go as far as saying he won’t even be on the bench. But i’ll stop way short of calling him a ’lazy fat useless pisshead’. Granted, he hasn’t been a good signing; more educated people would prefer to look deeper than rumoured drink problems and perhaps lay the reason why he has been such a disappointment on personal problems, mainly the illness of his daughter.
Tom Carter
44   Posted 21/02/2008 at 19:01:19

I say give him 20 mins if we are 2-0 up, he is still a member of the first team squad and should be treated the same as any other player.
Ean Palese
45   Posted 21/02/2008 at 19:25:52

John Lloyd - so in other words, if a player costs a lot of cash then he can screw off and be welcomed back ONLY because we need a return on what we paid? Expensive players can do what they please. That is a laugh! You just lost all credibility. I?m glad that you don?t own the club. Touch wood - I hope that you have to eat your shirt soon.
John Lloyd
46   Posted 22/02/2008 at 10:03:50

In a word Ean, yes!

And to be fair mate you lost all credibility with your original post which was either written in the year 2000 when all them things may have been true or your the only member of the AvDM fan club!!!

In fact you know what all you do-gooders, counsellers or whatever your masquerading to be can do one!!

Unfortunatley in the world players like Yakubu can & do escape with less punishment because they are bigger investments (that is the way of the world!) and also lets not forget that Moyes watches these lads train day in day out, we dont. So if he was anywhere near good enough he would of had a go by now.

I am fickle,if he ever did come into side and perform I would celebrate him.....so what!! but I am not led astray by the media, I have seen this man about the town myself!!

The only reason I passed comment on the care of his daughter (which I have every right to!) is in response top people who were using it as an excuse for his behavior!!

John Lloyd, still wearing his shirt, a bit worse for wear signing off.
Andy Brittenden
47   Posted 22/02/2008 at 17:03:40

Why do you have every right John? Becuase trust me pal you don’t.