Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Time to move on

If one thing can hold back Everton from becoming a real force in the land it`s sentimentality. The news that Carsley is to be offered yet another one year deal says it all for me.

Worthy servant though the little man has been, he ? like Gravesen ? is well past his sell-by date and should soon be moved on.

Can you imagine one of the Big Boys re-signing such a limited player? Of course not, but Moyes has a soft spot for bald headed old `uns and just can`t pull the plug.

At a time when he should be moving us on with a dynamic midfield signing he clings to the past. What's the betting AJ will still be running up dead ends in 2015?
Brian  Noble, Ince Blundell     Posted 21/02/2008 at 17:59:04

Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
I have no problem retaining him as a squad player providing Moyes makes a concerted effort to replace him with a top-class defensive midfielder this summer. I don't think we can afford to be so cavalier about casting players out given the size of our squad at present.
Steve Guy
1   Posted 21/02/2008 at 19:09:38

Sorry Brian but I can?t agree. At the start of this season I was probably with you, but Cars has proved me wrong and is up there as one of our players of the year.

I do agree though that we need to find a class replacement this Summer assuming we can afford it.
Joe Coswell
2   Posted 21/02/2008 at 19:12:18

Thats rubbish, how does getting rid of your best defensive midfielder make any sense whatsoever? Exactly, it doesnt.

Comparing him to Gravesen is an extremely lazy comment, theyre both bald, there the similarity ends.
Chris Dottie
3   Posted 21/02/2008 at 19:19:19

How many better defensive midfielders have there been in the Premier League this season? Makele hasn?t been better, nor Mascherano, nor Carrick, nor Hargreaves. I honestly can?t believe you mean what you say Brian, for me Cars makes the difference for us, he?s superb at what he does. His legs will go at some point, but until they do let?s appreciate him.
Mike Coates
4   Posted 21/02/2008 at 19:23:02

Consistent top player, and at his age. I was so happy to read they’re taking the initiative now to re-sign him instead of the possible chance of losing him next transfer :) GO CARS! :) Mean looking Mother ;)
Santosh Benjamin
5   Posted 21/02/2008 at 20:06:44

I for one am thrilled that Cars has been offered the contract now....he has earned it.We need to look for a young replacement for him..but till then let him show others what real commitment is...Way to go Cars!!!
Andy Ellams
6   Posted 21/02/2008 at 21:48:42

I think handing out contracts on a year to year basis is the perfect way to handle it. Then both parties can call it day at any time without too much hassle
Robert Carney
7   Posted 21/02/2008 at 22:17:13

6-1 tonight and you have a go at Carsley. Come on you blues. Maybe (just for some of us).
Chris James
8   Posted 21/02/2008 at 22:28:33

Can’t agree at all with this post I’m afraid.
Cars has been brilliantly consistent for us over the last few seasons and is exactly the sort of player that can play on till their late 30s so could easily have another couple of years in him yet.
Naturally we’re going to need to find a replacement in the next season or two, but we haven’t got them yet so it’s only common sense to keep the existing player on until we find someone new to ease into the squad.
As the boys across the park show every year, even pricey signings take an age to settle.
Then there’s the whole idea about having a squad in the first place, you know with cover for different positions.
Finally, there’s a difference between sentimentality and loyalty and Moyes strong but fair attitude to the players is helping to build what surely must be one of the best examples of genuine team spirit in the league.

Michael Dawson
9   Posted 21/02/2008 at 22:53:10

It’s not as if Moyes has handed him a new five year megabucks deal. Hopefully we will sign a long term replacement in the summer, but after Carsley’s performances this season, a one year extension is more than deserved.

As long as Lee keeps playing like he is now, it would be foolish to let him go.
Iain Atkinson
10   Posted 21/02/2008 at 23:16:54

I agree that it is good move to keep him in the squad for another year but please don?t kid yourself that he is good enough to be in a top 4 team.

He is a useful and hard working player but his limitations are very obvious when we play against the top teams.

He was very ordinary against Chelsea in the League cup and was definitely one of our weak links. If we want to challenge the best teams in the Premier League on an even footing then we need better players than him in our starting eleven.
Gaz Rees
11   Posted 21/02/2008 at 23:25:03

we looked mid table at best,til cars came back in to the side.4th naw!
Dan Parker
12   Posted 22/02/2008 at 00:21:02

Look at the mistake we made with Stubbs and Sunderland. Got rid of him thinking he was too old when he had decent mileage left (and we had terrible results after he left for a while)
Mike Reynolds
13   Posted 22/02/2008 at 00:30:50

Do you see Man United casting off their most experienced players when they have no proven replacement? No, Ferguson brought them back into the side for their Champions League tie against Lyon.

Until we have a genuine replacement (and even when we do) then he has to be retained. He has been superb for us this year and such performances must be reward or what signal would we be sending?

Jay Harris
14   Posted 22/02/2008 at 00:35:54

I thought he was the unsung MOM tonight despite the Yak and AJ.
He was everywhere picking up the ball spraying SIMPLE ACCURATE passes around the pitch.
Legs gone? You?re having a laugh.
Who did Moyes talk to consistently once he was subbed. Lee is a consummate pro ? end of!!
Colin Malone
15   Posted 22/02/2008 at 01:19:45

Brian, Do you go to watch Everton? If you do, I cannot believe what you are saying. Lee Carsley has been, with Lescott our best player. Answer me this Brian, Who in the Prem is better than Lee Carsley at what he does?FFS I cannot understand why you posted this article.
Glen Strachan
16   Posted 22/02/2008 at 03:38:52

Brian

Own up.............that posting was really set for April 1st !

Everybody has the right to be wrong sometimes, even very wrong but you have truly abused that right here!
Andy Hughes
17   Posted 22/02/2008 at 04:55:09

The stupidy of this post is beyond belief. Its almost as bad as the beaut last week who suggested we ’cash in’ on Tim Cahill. I mean, FFS do these posters have any idea about football whatsoever?
One of the key tasks of football management is fostering, and maintaining, a great team spirit. What sort of message does it send the rest of the squad, and indeed the fans, if we ’cash-in’ on our best players, and ’let-go’ players who are performing well but are simply getting old? Do we not reward good performances and effort? David Moyes is working hard to keep the current squad happy, and selling off bits of the squad willy-nilly would completely destroy that. Why do some fans insist on discussing players we should let go, when we’re doing so well? The mind boggles...
James Arnold
18   Posted 22/02/2008 at 09:15:42

I couldn?t disagree more with some of the earlier comments. Lee Carsley has been tremendous this season, he plays the holding role better than anyone at the club and when he is missing I think you really notice it. Yes , I do think we need to replace him for next season but I would always have him in the squad because I think he can still offer us something. There are no other central midfield players at Everton who track back like he does. For me he is a very underated player
Marcus Dawson
19   Posted 22/02/2008 at 09:15:38

I accept that this forum is all about opinions, but this is just a limp attempt to cause a stir and create a little fuss around himself. Maybe in the light of Johnson?s performance last night Brian now feels as stupid as he sounds. As for Carsley, he has some great attributes that go beyond his contribution on the pitch, all of which matters when you?re developing unity and team spirit. Shrewd management and who knows, he may get a spot in the coaching staff one day.
Paul Lenehan
20   Posted 22/02/2008 at 10:06:34

Carsley has been excellant this season. He is consistant and despite getting on in years plays every game. He has earned his new deal not through sentiment but through his contribution on the field.

Also I suggest you watch AJs performance from last night and see how many dead ends he ran into. Rubbish.
Paul Lenehan
21   Posted 22/02/2008 at 10:12:44

Just reading my last post and it looks like im having a go at AJ. I was referring to the original post who was commenting on AJ running into in dead ends. Last night AJ was class so those who slag him off should perhaps watch a video of last night.
Mark Stone
22   Posted 22/02/2008 at 12:19:58

"I have no problem retaining him as a squad player providing Moyes makes a concerted effort to replace him with a top-class defensive midfielder this summer."

I think that berth might be being saved for young Rodwell? One more year out of Carsley - teach Jack the ropes etc.

I?m happy to wait and see
John Jones
23   Posted 22/02/2008 at 13:18:11

Scholes & Giggs are both well into their 30s and still going at Utd.

Carsley is excellent in his role and deserves a new contract, regardless of age, although I do agree ideally we will bring someone younger in to replace him, but we’ve got a thin enough squad as it is.
Michael Brien
24   Posted 22/02/2008 at 13:40:31

The real criteria for offering a player a new contract should be whether or not the player in question is still performing well, regardless of his age. I would agree that Carsley has had some below average performances this season - but they are by far outweighed by above average performances.
It seems to me that if he has a bad game, then because of his age he is "past it" whilst other younger players may have a bad game and it’s just put down to a "bad day at the office".
Most suceesful teams are a blend of youth and experience, I suggest Brian that you take a look at the ages of some of Man Utd’s squad.They have several players that are over 30. I don’t think Moyes would offer a contract out of sentiment.
Basically I think your comments are criticism just for the sake of it - my Dad used to have a season ticket next to a bloke a bit like you Brian. This guy didn’t like Bob Latchford - he went to the match at QPR in ’77 when we won 5-1 and big Bob got 4 goals. My Dad asked him if Latchford had played well - he replied " he scored 4 but he should have scored 10 !!!" There is just no pleasing some people is there.I dread to think what you would have moaned about if we had lost to Brann.
Presumably though Brian you think we should replace Howard because he conceded a goal !!! Get real please - we are doing well and Carsley is playing his part.