Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Moyes was right

Having seen last night's game and then reading Sky Sports News today, I can clearly see that Moyes chose well in the transfer market last summer.

Last night we saw a goalscorer on top of his game in the form of Yakubu. I was a little worried intially when he started the season and then again when he went AWOL. But he has proved to Moyes, his team-mates and us the fans how important he is.

It makes it all the more satisfying when read that Redknapp will not stand in the way of "£6 million" Nugent if he wants to join Championship side Ipswich. He obviously wasn't ready for the PremierLeague as Moyes had guessed and certainly not worth the money Portsmouth paid for him.

Pinnear has been an absolute revelation. He has sparked our team in to a different dimension when he is playing. Just needs to stop going over too easily.

Last night I could have seen James Beattie blasting Yakubu's third over the bar. Another player who is finding it easier in the Championship.

Roll on the Red Shite getting knocked out of the Champions League, Everton winning the Uefa Cup and grabbing that 4th Champions League spot while Beneath Us finally gets the sack (or stays on if we want them to keep doing crap!)
Peter Keating, London     Posted 22/02/2008 at 09:40:58

Comments

John Lloyd
1   Posted 22/02/2008 at 15:21:16

I know he has made some mistakes also (Koldrup, AvDM) but I agree on 90% of his choices myself, its not just Nugent look at some of the others. Koumas on bench for Wigan?? Barton - Dont need to explain that one, Parker - always injured, Diop - overweight sub........as I say he’s not perfect but I’d take Moyes track record in the transfer market over any other premiership manager.
James Matthews
2   Posted 22/02/2008 at 15:42:36

I agree completely - the ’Dithering Dave’ moniker is absolutely ridiculous. Moyes takes his time assessing a player not just as a footballer, but as a human being. I was shocked whne I read we were apparently considering Barton for this reason.

As has been said elsewhere, the players at Everton seem to be a decent, intelligent bunch that work hard for and respect each other. You have to pay tribute to the manager for bringing the right kind of people into the club to make that happen, and also setting the tone at training, meetings etc that they are all in this together.

IMWT
Andy Callan
3   Posted 22/02/2008 at 15:54:00

Good start but let ALL hope that he keeps it up eh?

A hat trick against City would be better....!!!!!!!

I agree though that he is very important at the moment to Everton as he knows were the goal is doesn’t he?

With AJ back to form and Victor there and Vaughan we are Ok up front.
Jimmy Jones
4   Posted 22/02/2008 at 16:36:44

Mention of Krøldrup.. Is he the same one who played for Fiorentena last night? Hope he doesn?t come back to haunt us... On the other hand... does Moyes knopw enough to exploit him.... ????????
Rob Jones
5   Posted 22/02/2008 at 17:55:08

John agree completely with you the only one up there with him for Market consistency is Wenger but lets face it he paid a fortune for Wright and Jeffers and sold Bentley and Pennant for fuck all so he’s not all that perfect lol.
Wayne Smyth
6   Posted 22/02/2008 at 19:10:13

Funny you should mention Krøldrup Jimmy....

When I knew we?d been drawn against Fiorentina, I did wonder what the odds of Krøldrup scoring against us with a header were, given the rumours that surrounded his exit!

Let's hope that doesn?t come to pass though.

And yes, Moyes has done a fantastic job in the transfer market. Not only the signings hes made, but when players are sold, he usually gets decent money back for them (McFadden, Beattie, Bent, Kilbane spring to mind).
John Murphy
7   Posted 22/02/2008 at 19:35:59

Why do people suggest that Pienaar goes down far too easily? The lad is about 5’5 and the only times I have seen him go down is when he gets clattered.
Connor Rohrer
8   Posted 23/02/2008 at 03:01:36

John Murphy, Pienaar?s 5ft 7 but I agree with you. He isn?t lightweight. His sheer energy and enthusiasm for the game makes up for his lack of stature. He also puts his foot in and battles hard for the team.

My favorite player in the current squad and he?s going to be a steal at £2.5 million.
Ron Leith
9   Posted 23/02/2008 at 12:25:33

As my 11-year-old son pointed out, why does the Yak run around like he is pushing a shopping trolley. Anyway, the most important thing is to get Johnson back to scoring goals. It's good that we don?t have to rely too much on one striker. 4-4-2 with Johnson and Yakubu together looks the real deal to me.
Gerry Quinn
10   Posted 23/02/2008 at 13:16:44

Stephen Pienaar 5 ft 9 and Alan Ball 5ft 6 - short, sweet and class - nuff said.......I’d have both in my team!