Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Best finisher I've seen

Yak is the finest finisher I have seen in a Blue shirt in my lifetime — I'm 28. The only ones who could maybe contest this are Cottee and Lineker, but in my opinion Yak just edges it. I have waited until now to voice my view, because I wasn't sure when he signed how he would fit in to our style of play. But I am now chuffed to say that Moyesie got it right when he shelled out for him, and it pleases me that he's putting himself about for the team as well...
Danny Broderick, London     Posted 23/02/2008 at 01:36:51

Comments

Dan Parker
1   Posted 23/02/2008 at 04:02:21

Can’t agree more mate and I’m 29.

We don’t need a fox in the box, we’ve got a yak in the box!
Dave Wilson
2   Posted 23/02/2008 at 05:02:12

Steady boys.
Lineker got 40 in a season, he just didnt miss. however, he was so single minded, he was sometimes selfish to the detriment of the team. The Yaks a better all round player and offers more than just goals, he can help create too
I hope to see the Yak in a blue shirt for years to come. I cant explain it but I dont feel the same warmth towards Lineker as I do the rest of the eighties team/s, perhaps its because he got off so readily when the opportunity presented itself, but for pure finishing he has to be the best
I’d love the Yak to prove me wrong though
Arthur Jones
3   Posted 23/02/2008 at 05:24:17

I?m probably showing my age here but big Bob Latchford was lethal in the 70s . When Dave Thomas was signed to supply his ammo there was nobody better. However, the Yak is looking good; a sign of a very good goalscorer, in my eyes, is that they don?t miss the ?easy? chances. Beatts was guilty of this on many occasions. On Thursday, Yak's 3rd, a simple knock-in was one that players like Beatts, Faddy , AJ have fluffed, even Rooney?s messed up chances like that, and as for Radzinski !!!!!! Dare I say it but Yak could easily reach 100 goals for us, as long as he doesn?t go walkabout again of course!
Dean Johnson
4   Posted 23/02/2008 at 06:34:39

All Yaks goals were simple side foot finishes that he makes look so easy.
He is a genuine world class player
Andrew Paolacci
5   Posted 23/02/2008 at 09:12:19

For me, in terms of pure finishing, Yakubu?s first goal was simply sublime. As a 22-year-old Aussie, I?ve only been supporting the Toffees for 10 yrs, so I can't really comment on Lineker and the type. But the Yak has got to be the best finisher I've seen in a blue shirt.
Graham Eaves
6   Posted 23/02/2008 at 09:16:58

Have to disagree. He’s getting there but you need to judge after a full season or two to see if he can do it consistently. I’m 32 and I’d have to say Sharp, Lineker and Wayne Clarke were all better
Rob Jones
7   Posted 23/02/2008 at 09:44:19

Well you cant judge Gary ?Fuck off? Lineker on two seasons can you Graham? I?m too young to have watched even Lineker live so unfortunately the only player I can really compare is Rooney, but Big Dunc wasn?t a bad finisher (he's our top prem goalscorer.)
Paul Gladwell
8   Posted 23/02/2008 at 09:40:43

Sharp is the best forward I have seen at our club but certainly not the best finisher as the only weakness he seemed to have was he was not too good on one on one situations , I rememeber being suprised when he scored one on the plastic pitch against QPR.
The Yak pulls off these with ease as well as ones out of nothing like the chelsea goal, however its stil early days to be thinking of him as a legend.
One forward who was as good as anything for us was Beardsley, totally awesome and when Kendall sold him I had never been so angry about losing a player so much and still have yet to feel that way, even big Duncs move to them dickheads in black failed to anger me as much.
Teddy Draper
9   Posted 23/02/2008 at 09:53:42

I know Danny said " in his lifetime" but seeing some of you are going back, im suprised no one has mentioned the greatest goalscorer football has ever known, (bow your heads) ... WILLIAM RALPH DEAN!
Matt Kay
10   Posted 23/02/2008 at 10:37:38

Can’t fault you there Ted mate, but no-one in my opinion can compare the Great Man to ANYONE. End of, Dixie was (an still is) the greatest goalscorer this world will ever know!
Allan Hobbs
11   Posted 23/02/2008 at 11:22:59

Ferenc Puskas? Gerd Muller? Matt, if you’re talking in a world sense, it simply ain’t Dixie Dean - no offence.
Dominic Duerden
12   Posted 23/02/2008 at 11:48:10

Yakubu is a superb finisher and a lucky player , which is just what we lacked. With AJ, Vaughan and Vic we have a great forward line.
Alan Rodgers
13   Posted 23/02/2008 at 11:57:12

The way Yakubu took his first goal set him apart from everyone else on the field. The game had been patchy and then, suddenly, he put his mark on the game in the manner of a great striker. You have to say, though, he is an old looking 25 !
Graham Eaves
14   Posted 23/02/2008 at 12:50:30

FAO Rob Jones. Lineker played a full season for us, Yak’s played what, 22 games? Lineker scored 40 in that season, a record still to be beaten to date. He also consistently scored for Barca when he left. I think I know who’s the better of the two...
Rob Jones
15   Posted 23/02/2008 at 13:39:07

Yeah but hes gonna play at least one season for us where as Lineker only stayed for one season, I?d be very surprised if Yak only stayed til the summer, look at Benni Mccarthy he stayed at Blackburn after offers from Chelsea.

And as far as I can see I didn?t say a thing about GL not being up there with the best just that you said we should compare Yak after one or TWO seasons like GL, Sharp and Clarke but to my knowledge GL fucked off after one season that's all I was pointing out.
Mick Dempsey
16   Posted 23/02/2008 at 13:42:33

I hate all this comparing players, Lineker played a diffrent game than the Yak, Lineker was a speed merchant and when he played for us we played a lot of balls over the top for Lineker to outpace the defence, Sharp was an out-and-out target man so to compare chalk and cheese, you can't.

For me, when the Yak is on blob he is superb; passing, dropping off deap and pulling the defence all over the the last third. The Yak shows plenty of inteligence and sometimes I think his thought process is quicker than most of the team's, this is where we need a top-class cenral midfielder or for Fernandes to stop sulking and accept that he has a bit of an attitude, Benfica and Valencia both can't be wrong; undoubted ability and talent but he thinks he is better than he actually is.

David O'Brien
17   Posted 23/02/2008 at 14:24:06

Incomparable at the moment; Lineker was such a quality finisher - that year there wasn?t much football on the TV but I can still remember St & Greavsie talking about him. You kill me Greavsie Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah......... continue to tedium.
Kieran Kinsella
18   Posted 23/02/2008 at 14:54:42

Rob Jones if you can’t judge Lineker on his season with us how can you compare Yak on half a season ?

I’m 31 and in my less than humble opinion I would rate our strikers on their finishing like this (These are only players I actually watched during my lifetime)
1.Lineker
2.Yakubu
3.Beardsley (for Everton only)
4.Cottee
5.Campbell
6.Rideout
7.Rooney

The rest are much of a muchness. Fergie scored hardly any goals for a striker over his long career. Sharp from 86 onwards which is when I saw him was more a a set up man than a scorer. Newell never scored, Radzinski, Jeffers, Barlow, etc were all crap. Bakayoko and Amokachi were awful. Madar was good but was a wimp and it’s too soon to judge Anichebe or Vaughan.
Kieran Kinsella
19   Posted 23/02/2008 at 15:02:24

Ohh yeah and AJ, Clarke, Heath and McFadden are all slightly above Radzinski and Jeffers but not quite as good as Rideout and Rooney.
Tony Marsh
20   Posted 23/02/2008 at 15:07:20

Yes, Yakubu is a great finisher but how so many on this site were quick to slaughter the lad after only 2 games earlier this season. "He's too slow, too fat, a lazy bastard..." my mate who is a Boro fan said... blah blah fucking blah. Eat humble pie all you knockers. I told you he would come good. Best in the Premier League for finishing ability no question.
Rob Lloyd
21   Posted 23/02/2008 at 17:59:43

The Yak is the genuine article without doubt. In my 42 years of watching the blues, Big Joe is still my favourite, though I think that Lineker was quality, though it was significant that we won bugger all in that season. But the player I associate the Yak most with is the Latch, another great hero of my youth. Absolutely bone idle at times (or so it appeared), then, just when we least expected it, a goal out of nowhere.... Sheer class. God bless you, Bob!
Rob Lloyd
22   Posted 23/02/2008 at 18:08:23

Sorry Sharpy.... You are not forgotten
James Martin
23   Posted 23/02/2008 at 22:01:13

Have to agree with Rob in that there’s a bit of big Bob in the Yak. Though I’d have to say his first touch and link up play are superior imo. As for the best finisher, uff, difficult. Lineker was superb. I also think Wayne Clarke’s actual finishing ability was better than a lot give him credit for.
For me, the sign of a great finisher is that you’re surprised when they miss.
Rob Jones
24   Posted 23/02/2008 at 23:29:47

FFS Kieran I wasn’t comparing Yak but Graham was having a go for people not judging Yak on a couple of seasons when Lineker only did 1, I wasn’t saying Yak was better or worse than lineker.
Rich Williams