Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Piennuts

This very poor play on words in the title is meant to describe my delight on hearing that, as was hoped for (and maybe expected), Pienaar will sign for the Blues in the Summer.

What's made me even happier is that the fee was pre-agreed! I reckon liitle Peanut's form this season would otherwise have added at least a couple of million to the fee.

A shrewd piece of business indeed. There is little doubt he brings both guile and width to the team and was sorely missed whilst away in Africa. His return could make all the difference over the next few months both in Uefa and the EPL.
Steve Guy, Harrogate     Posted 23/02/2008 at 14:19:45

Comments

Jack Calvert
1   Posted 23/02/2008 at 12:35:29

This is exactly what all Everton fans wanted to hear, Moyes wanting Piennar to stay and confirmation that "The fee is agreed." As this appears the clause that was inserted at the beggining of the loan it is more likely (not definitely) lower than his value would have been otherwise.
Ian MacHenry
2   Posted 23/02/2008 at 15:30:33

The lad is absolute quality, it was music to ears when I heard that today, he was hugely missed while away in the Afcon as he?s such an influntial player for us and takes much needed pressure off Arteta and is exactly the type of player you want to be watching on a Saturday afternoon. £2.5M is an absolute steal, he is easily a £6-8M player ? I just hope we don?t screw this one up.
Dan Walker
3   Posted 23/02/2008 at 15:55:02

I suppose the only spanner in the works could be if another club comes in and offers Pienaar more money. We’ve agreed the fee between the clubs, but I guess the player’s personal contract would still have to be ironed out.

That’s probably why Moyes doesn’t wanna discuss it till the end of the season, as it would only distract Pienaar’s mind from his game.
Trevor Hemming
4   Posted 23/02/2008 at 15:51:46

And just think, there were we castigating Kenwright just a few months ago for not sewing up a deal with the useless twat that is now Fernandes. If he?d blown £11M on that waste of space we?d never have heard of Pienuts and would be stuck with a serial sulker who has one good game in ten. The Gods have been kind to Everton for once!
Alex Taylor
5   Posted 23/02/2008 at 16:34:47

This lad has looked the real deal since he scored against Boro. I think he benefits from playing with a creative midfield and strong striker like Yakubu.

The thing I like about his play is his eagerness to bring the ball in from the wing onto the edge of the penalty area. He also seem to track back well.

So nice to have creative options down both wings. Fingers crossed we can complete the deal in the summer. It seems like he wants to be here.
Jay Harris
6   Posted 23/02/2008 at 17:00:56

Trevor lets be grateful for peanuts instead of slaggung off Fernades, who is also an important squad player. Let's be honest Chelsea, Manure and the RS have spent more than £11M on reserves. We will probably get Fernandes for around £8M which I think is a steal for a player of his quality.

Wait until he gets a few more games under his belt and gets fully fit as he is palying with a minor groin strain at the moment. Let's get behind all the lads for the run in which is even tighter after today's results.
Keith Glazzard
7   Posted 23/02/2008 at 18:47:54

Is there an Evertonian that doesn’t want this deal done as soon as possible? I can see that Moyes wanted him back safe from the AfCON before committing - and the SA team doctor there did his best to wreck Steven’s career by passing him fit to play with an ankle injury which kept him out of our team for weeks.

Pienaar, Fernandes and Arteta at the heart of our midfield for the next few seasons? Sounds like a Holy Trinity to me.
Jeremy Benson
8   Posted 23/02/2008 at 18:57:05

I’m delighted with the news.

However, i think before people get too carried away with plaudits over the foresight of pre-agreeing a fee; its perfectly normal to agree a future fee with a loan signing. Some loans will in fact only only be allowed with a permanent fee agreed...which helps the selling club in most cases.

Its a great deal in hindsight, but I dont think people should go overboard in thinking this is the transfer heist of the century with a rabbit-out-of-the-hat future clause.

Connor Rohrer
9   Posted 23/02/2008 at 19:07:38

Great news. He’s been our best midfielder this season. Creative but also a work horse and an important cog in our 4-5-1 system. Pienaar is exactly the type of player we need if we are going to make that step up into the top four.

Fans like Trevor Hemming bore me. Always looking to have a pop at players for no particular reason. Comparing Fernandes to Pienaar is just ridiculous. None of our midfielder have been a patch on Pienaar never mind Fernandes. And yes Arteta is included in that. He’s outshone the lot of them.

Just because Fernandes isn’t playing to Pienaar’s level doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough. He is and he’s one of our best mid fielders in the squad. People need to get a grip of themselves and support the lad instead of slagging off his every move because they just don’t like him.

We should buy both in my opinion and it will more than likely cost around 10 million which is a good deal for two quality players who will boost our starting line up. Pienaar from the left and Fernandes from the middle.
Neil Hardwick
10   Posted 23/02/2008 at 19:46:21

I don't remember who it was but I remember somebody writing a note at the beginning of the season just after Fernandes had let us down. The piece basically said, don't worry about the lack of Fernandes, we have a ready made replacement in Pienaar! Well said - I think it was an African blue!

On the Pienaar - Fernandes - Arteta note, I?m desperate to see them play a few games together. With Carsley covering off the defensive duties they could be a real handful on a par with Arsenal's midfield. Please don't lose faith with Fernandes just yet - he reminds me of Arteta when he first joined, it?ll take a while for him to get into the rythm of the team.

Final word is, at least at home ? drop Cahill and play two strikers in front of those three ? what an awesome team going forward!!!
Connor Rohrer
11   Posted 23/02/2008 at 20:12:30

Neil Hardwick, I agree Pienaar is great but he?s hardly a replacement for Fernandes. Fernandes and Pienaar have completely different attributes which compliment the team in different ways. If you put Fernandes on the left he wouldn?t look as good as Pienaar and if you put Pienaar in the middle he wouldn?t look as good as Fernandes.

In Pienaar we have found a player who is capable of filling the left hand side. He?s replaced Osman in that respect and has now made that position his own.

But we have been crying out for a central midfielder all season and Fernandes in my opinion is that man. People may disagree and there entitled to there opinion but given time I think he?ll come good and earn his move.

Osman was a good stop gap and always will have a place in this team/squad but I have no doubts Fernandes is the better and more natural central midfielder.

How I see it is he has only played five games and sometimes it does take a little while to settle. I don?t judge a player that early and I certainly won?t slag him off because he hasn?t been up to the standards of our most consistent midfielder Steven Pienaar.

People claiming he?s awful really do need to get real and take a look at the bigger picture. Why is he not good enough? Because he hasn?t shown his form of last season in 5 games. If thats the case then Arteta isn?t good enough and neither is Johnson who have both had indifferent seasons. I don?t think like that though. I know Johnson and Arteta are good players who are just going through a dip and not matching there standards of last season.

I hope Moyes goes 4-5-1 personally and plays the trio Fernandes, Arteta and Pienaar. We looked bright in the second half against Brann on Wednesday and that had a lot to do with there qualities on and off the ball.
Dominic Duerden
12   Posted 23/02/2008 at 20:27:55

Trevor that is such a stupid comment.

Yakubu looked poor to start with.
Jagielka looked poor to start with.

Just play Manny for a few games, in CENTRAL midfield , and he will come good.
Mike Whittaker
13   Posted 23/02/2008 at 20:36:29

Trevor - what has Manny got to do with this thread?
In any case, Manny is a quality player, anyone that knows football can see that he is a ball player. Given time, playing in his best position, he will come good. He spots a pass better than anyone else in the squad.
Lue Glover
14   Posted 23/02/2008 at 20:45:10

The difference that Pienaar made to the whole team on Thursday night was clear - at least it was after about 20 mins or so. He just keeps snapping at their heels, never lets go, AJ is the same, so is Mikel and so is Carsley. In fact we have a team of players that play for eachother. What a joy to watch when it all comes good.

For the first goal, Valente?s determination to get the ball after two tackles, passes to Pienaar, Pienaar to Cahill, Timmy with a sublime backheel to the Yak.
Goal!
Number three - Howard to Pienaar, Pienaar to the Yak
Goal!
Number 4 - Valente wins ball, pass to AJ, AJ to the Yak, Yak to Pienaar, Pienaar to Arteta
Goal!
Number 5 - Valente throw in to Pienaar, Pienaar to Arteta, back to Pienaar, Pienaar to the Yak
Goal!
When Pienaar hit the post, he started the move by winning the ball in his own half.

Number 6 - move starts with Manny and ends with a superb pass from Pienaar to AJ.

So 5 of the 6 goals involved Pienaar in either the ultimate or penultimate pass to the scorer.
Let him leave at our peril!
Keith Glazzard
15   Posted 23/02/2008 at 21:03:43

Some people seem to think that there is a choice between Pienaar and Fernandes. I don’t know how the money works out of course, but I would be surprised if Moyes thought he had to make a choice. All being well, they will both be our players next season.

Because of Tim’s and Leon’s qualities, I think 4-5-1 is as much an attacking formation for us as 4-4-2. With a bit more squad building we could have the capability to run very consistently successful campaigns for the next few years. You have to be close to the front of the race to win it, and we are on our way.
Jay Harris
16   Posted 23/02/2008 at 22:32:32

Last point on Fernades as I know this is a Peanuts strand but I think we?ve all seen enough of Peanuts to vote him one of ours.
Connor is absolutely spot on.
Manny has played 5 games with different team mates and tactics and by all accounts witha similar groin strain to the one Arteta went to Spain to be treated for.
The lad just wants to play football. He?s seen enough cynicism and shit in his young career so as Moyesy says he just needs to be loved.
Brian Garside
17   Posted 24/02/2008 at 02:25:41

Jay. We will love them both given the chance for a long long time. I am also pleased that others have noticed the conviction of Valente who for some recieves bad press. The man is sound and to be trusted. Just ask Morienio or Scolari.
Yes we shall win on Monday.
Ricardo Humphries
18   Posted 25/02/2008 at 09:22:33

I’m a huge Pienaar fan, and i think the best of him is still to come. Manny on the other hand hasn’t done too bad. He really needs to be given a chance. I would sign Manny and Schillo(Pienaar name in Holland)

Manny has been played in a consistant formation and team, that can take an effect on a players performance. I can really see that Manny has the abilty of a world class midfielder, Moyes needs to get that out of him. If Manny’s not doing to good, Moyes can be easily be at fault, come guys and lets get behinf Manny!!
Ricardo Humphries
19   Posted 25/02/2008 at 10:12:24

I'm just wondering if Moyes must be feeling that the Pienaar deal could be the best deal he could ever had made, paying £2.5m for a really good midfielder?

Where are all those guys who at the begining of this season predicted Pienaar to be a waste of space and money? All the guys who said he'll never make it at Everton, cause of his bad season in Germany? (Why is Dutch the first person that I think of?)

I always told you this player is pure magic; that he has the ability to split a good defence; and that he was one of the best midefielders in the CL a few season back? How the critics must be eating their comments now. Connor is the only person on this website who supported Pienaar right from the start, please guys lets give players a chance? Let's put our full support behind him and Manny, and I would like Moyes to give Van de Meyde a chance (I know his a really good player).