Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Everton Fans Player Fund

50,000 Everton fans to invest £200 each to raise £10 million. Anyone think this could be a realistic proposal to compete with the elite/rich teams? This could help fund the squad and buy that special player we need to challenge the top 4 year-in year-out. I have heard a few other fans suggest this on other forums, I dont think this is impossible, the fans wantt success and they could potentially buy it! An extra £10million could go along way. Sorry if this has already been suggested....
James Hazlehurst, Wirral     Posted 23/02/2008 at 20:39:17

Comments

Michael Kenrick
No problemo. We've had a scheme like that going for some time now, with ToffeeWeb acting as the collecting agency, and the money has been pouring in. But why stop at £200? We take any contributions, no matter how large they are. Just go here and mark you contribution "New Players Fund". Thanks!
Kieran Fitzgerald
1   Posted 23/02/2008 at 21:56:22

I think something like this has genuine merit James. I know people will laugh at the idea, thinking it below a club of our stature. Others would cynically wonder as to where the money would really go. Others would just shake their heads and say that you were daft to think the Board would be honest with us dumb worthless fans once it had the money pocketed.

I think though if you raised the money over the course of a season, and did it in a very public and transparent way all along then the Board would have to be transparent in return. The Board could then even do a people?s club type PR job on it and gain alot of credit for it. Also, once you could post bank account details and receipts to prove to fans that you were above board, the thing could really snowball.

While you may not neccessarily raise the price of a CL quality player, an extra couple of million in the transfer kitty would help. (200 quid is alot of money and you could alienate alot of people who wuold be happy to pay less but something that they could still afford.) It would also allow fans to feel great about having that level of involvement in the club, albeit a little far removed.
Mark Pendleton
2   Posted 23/02/2008 at 23:07:39

What if we’d bought Per Kroldrup in this manner? Would we be covered by such as the Argos 16 day money back guarantee?
Santino Kerminogliou
3   Posted 23/02/2008 at 23:13:30

Raising money to pay for my season ticket year on year is a struggle enough. We?reconstantly being told how football is a business nowadays, so let the business raise the cash. To assume that all of the 50,000 evertonians would contribute the 200quid to reach the set target is a joke
Rob Jones
4   Posted 23/02/2008 at 23:13:03

Lmao Mark do they cover all liabilities?

I think maybe 100,000 paying £100 each would be more realistic, don’t forget to alot of people £200 is alot of money and not something that they can afford to give away where as £100 is different, hell what would you prefer a top player for EFC or 2 console games? I would hope that only fairweather fans would go for the games instead. I for one if asked would contribute as much as I can afford. This is alot more realistic than the RS’s ludicrous plan and TBH I wouldn’t mind too much if the £10m went towards players, stadiums or re-financing because the money saved from any of the other options would most likely go into transfer fees or wages for new players.
Rob Jones
5   Posted 23/02/2008 at 23:20:43

Santino forgive me if im wrong but I presume you are foreign? If so then without meaning to cause offence you probably have no idea quite how big and how dedicated our fanbase is, as said above I don’t think £200 is realistic but 100,000 giving £100 each or maybe even 200,000 giving £50? £50 looks pretty small to me and we have a huge fanbase surely 200,000 of us could easily afford it? or the richer of us could contribute more.

And MK you’re a crafty little git lol I waited for that page to load thinking I’d be able to contribute to Everton FC today not Toffeeweb lol.
robert carney
6   Posted 23/02/2008 at 23:41:50

Personally, I would raise £5.000 towards a genuine buyout to take this club away from the ruinous road to Kirkby. I know this sounds like the ridiculous buyout attempt of the R.S. But seriously, fans need to do more than shout and complain.
The liar has never tried to raise funds publically because he was approached by the mega Tesco, stitched up, and we are left as a generation of fans who will see the demise of a once great historical football club. If the short term sucess we are about to embark on lift’s our souls.
Behold to the demise of what will follow.

Neil Pearse
7   Posted 24/02/2008 at 00:00:55

Robert, could you explain what exactly you mean by "raise funds publically"? Since football clubs or their owners do not generally function like charities asking for donations, I assume you mean that Kenwright hasn’t (yet) sold the club to anyone (and that this is what you would prefer)?

I would also love to know what building a stadium with Tesco has to do with the fact that Kenwright has not sold the club to anyone, but perhaps you can tell us that too. Are you suggesting that there is someone who wants to buy the club and has the money (would you like to tell us who this secret buyer is?), but that they are somehow being stopped by our arrangement in Kirkby with Tesco? How would that work?

Of course there is another explanation. Since Kenwright could not possibly stop anyone publically expressing a desire to buy the club (as happens in the cases of all other clubs), and presumably there is some price at which Kenwright would sell, perhaps no one has actually tried to buy Everton, and that is why we have not been sold. Tesco and Kirkby actually have nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that Everton have not been bought by anyone else (apart perhaps from making the club more attractive to a potential buyer). But that would all be too simple and obvious wouldn’t it?
Rob Jones
8   Posted 24/02/2008 at 00:13:01

Jesus now thats a Doom Prophecy for ya.
tony gee
9   Posted 24/02/2008 at 00:19:44

aye, jokes apart...

i would throw 10k at the club along with 5000 others so we could buy out bill and co and get the club up and running....

50 million is a feasable price.... all i need now is anoter 4999 blues to delve intop their pockets...

no to kirkby
moyes out
Oh Andy is our King...
Rob Jones
10   Posted 24/02/2008 at 00:27:14

Please say you are taking the piss Tony when it comes to wanting moyes out?
James Wong
11   Posted 24/02/2008 at 00:29:31

What about raising 2.5 million or 50 pounds each for 50,000 people to pay for Pienaar - i have no problems paying for him to wear an everton shirt.
Rob Jones
12   Posted 24/02/2008 at 01:18:39

No point the moneys already stored away for peanut
Nick Veitch
13   Posted 24/02/2008 at 01:47:57

I like the idea of a yearly amount of 50 pounds, where this money goes to buying 1 player each season. That way, you would at least account for the fact a few flops (ie. Kroldrup) might be purchased.
Maybe the money could be put to the purchase of an expensive player, and the club pitches in the rest. Either way, I’d definitely pay 50, 100 or 200 pounds. I’m sure there’s a lot of other Australians (and others not from the UK) willing to do so as well. You could get 3 just from my family alone. COYB!!!
Tim Veitch
14   Posted 24/02/2008 at 02:47:50

I agree. Ideally there’d a website which kept a "live" log of how much had been raised by the fans, and a way of contributing online (ie. credit card).
Brian Garside
15   Posted 24/02/2008 at 02:50:10

How much would Mr Rocky be willing to donate one wonders?
Rob Jones
16   Posted 24/02/2008 at 02:57:01

Fuckin hell I forgot about him, if he really has turned blue I think we could expect at least 100,000 towards it if it was made official.
Rob Jones
17   Posted 24/02/2008 at 03:15:21

Heres a list of rich evertonians that I think would be willing to donate a few grand if this went public.

(asterisks for the richest)

Pete Best*
Ian Astbury
Tony Blackburn
Paul & Oliver Collyer*
Sharon Corr
Dame Judy Dench*
Jenifer Ellison
Amanda Holden
Lee Latchford-Evan
Paul McCartney*** (very unlikely)
Mike Lewis
Liz McLarnon
Nicola Roberts
Sylvestor Stallone***
Freddie Starr
Claire Sweeney
Sean Styles
Zutons

More interestingly I don?t think the following players would come out and donate due to commitments to other clubs or being too strongly linked with our devil child, though I do feel a few would if they didn?t have other commitments.

Joey Barton
David Nugent
Wayne Rooney
Robbie Savage
Lee Trundle
David Unsworth
Michael Owen
Robbie Fowler
Jamie Carragher
Ian Rush

And Don?t forget theres other millionaires out there that could donate but they?re not well known so obviously I can?t name them.

Now for a tricky one, If Ppaul Gregg was to come and offer good money what do you think would be the response from the majority of fans?
Matt Geraghty
18   Posted 24/02/2008 at 07:55:08

Is it April 1st?
Darren Manning
19   Posted 24/02/2008 at 08:57:09

Is this a wind up? If you want to put more money into the club- go the game? a lump sum each year- Buy a season ticket? A bigger lump sum- Buy shares/use the empty corporate facilities that are available. Easy. If you go every week already and for some reason now feel you’re not doing enough then pay for a friend or a relative who can’t afford it, we don’t sellout every week so the opportunities for investment are about once a fortnight lads.
Brian Noble
20   Posted 24/02/2008 at 09:21:48

Total bollocks! Let the buggers who stand to make a killing from the club raise the money ? not those of us who spend all their ?hard-earned? following the team the length and breadth of the country ? and farther afield.
Charlie Dimmock
21   Posted 24/02/2008 at 09:22:43

While we are in fantasy land what about asking the soon to be mega rich Heather Mills for a few bob?

I’m sure she would stump up.
Mike Byrne
22   Posted 24/02/2008 at 09:37:29

Jees ? what a joke! we can?t even get much over 30,000 blues going to the game each week ? where are these extra people suddenly going to come from?

Or are they the same mythical 50,000 that the business case for the move to Kirkby is based on?

Get real ? ideas like this make us a laughing stock!
Paul Jones
23   Posted 24/02/2008 at 10:03:19

What ever happened to the fans share issue

Didn't Dully do something similar at Aberdeen?

I would be more interested in this although not at the RS level.
John Steadman
24   Posted 24/02/2008 at 12:54:27

James, if and when we qualify for the Champions League, we would recieve approximately £10M anyway. It?s expensive now to watch Premier League football, the most expensive league in the world, why don?t the players if they had a heart, say that they would prefer to take a small pay cut, and the club sets itself up as a charity, this would mean the taxman gets far less, and the money is there for players. £600 FOR A SEASON TICKET IS ENOUGH!!!
Rob Jones
25   Posted 24/02/2008 at 13:13:12

Lmao if by small paycut you mean £1-2k do you really think £30-60k is gonna do anything mate?

Charlie - ??I?m sure she would stump up.??
Hahaha I don?t know if that pun was intended but I laughed my socks off when I saw it
Nick Veitch
26   Posted 24/02/2008 at 13:29:15

I know this seems like a bit of a laugh to some of you (ie Mike), but it?s not just the 30+ thousand that turn up to games week in, week out that would be willing to stump up with a bit of dosh to support the club. There are quite a few of us distant fans, some of which watch religiously at 4-5am in the morning before work that would be willing to put some money up to support the blues. Don?t just count the number of fans that turn up at the gate as reflective of the number who would gladly put there hard earn towards the Everton cause.
Rob Jones
27   Posted 24/02/2008 at 14:07:21

Exactly Nick and to whoever said buy a season ticket in case you haven’t noticed £600 is a hell of a lot more than £50-£100 I could easily afford £50, I could afford £100 but £600 is a hell of alot more mate.
James Hazlehurst
28   Posted 24/02/2008 at 20:00:34

I understand people already pay for their season tickets. Why should they pay more?The reality is Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal pay more on the gate, that's why they have more cash. It's sad I know, but to a certain extent you need the cash to be winning at the top, and if the fans want the sucess then why not buy it? It's not that unrealistic, glad to hear some positive feedback.
Roy Coyne
29   Posted 25/02/2008 at 00:30:43

Speaking personally I would happily contribute to a buy out like the r/s providing we dont move to Kirkby that would be worth £5000 to me, but there are too many pitfalls to donate money for transfers.