Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Another taker for free kicks on goal??

Was watching the highlights of the overnight games and saw McFadden score a cracker from a free kick outside the box. Also noticed Simon Davies score a few from free kicks this season as well. Now as much as I rate Arteta I still have found myself asking the question many a time this season, "Is he the best man for our free kicks on goal?"

Arteta's crosses from free kicks in search of finding Cahill's or Lescott's head are exceptional and would undoubtedly cause sleepless nights for goalkeepers, but I feel he doesn't have that killer finish to put the ball in the back of the net. Yes, he has the flair and touch but seems to lack the power to get it past the keeper when he does get the ball on goal from the free kick.

Do we need to start to share the responsibility as the Fernandes effort a couple of games back was a cracker??
Steve Pendleton, Perth, WA     Posted 24/02/2008 at 02:32:19

Comments

Dave Wilson
1   Posted 24/02/2008 at 05:27:59

Know what your saying Steve, but have you ever noticed how few free kicks we get around the front of the box ? Sure we get plenty down the flanks, but when you look other teams, they seem to get more chances for the direct strike than us, is it our style of play ?
Anyway briing back Sheeds thats what I say, and oh you better bring back Sharpy too so we’ve got someone to win the free kicks in the first place
Dick Fearon
2   Posted 24/02/2008 at 05:58:23

We have 11 pro footballers on the field and it seems that only one of them can be trusted to deliver a free kick with reasonable accuracy.
Taking a free kick is not rocket science and IMO our trusted expert needs to seriously lift his game.

Most of Arteta’s efforts are rubbish raise serious questions about the ability of rest of e’m.on that simple tenique
Similar can be said about our designated throw in ’expert’.
Waiting for Neville to trundle 40/50 yards we lose any advantage of a quickly taken throw.
Chris Davies
3   Posted 24/02/2008 at 08:51:19

Dick, I love the fact that you think taking a free kick on goal is a "simple technique". Yeah, it’s a piece of piss...
Richard Scudamore
4   Posted 24/02/2008 at 09:08:31

I think we should have specialist free kick takers like NFL’s kickers. Then we can bring Dick on to take the easy free kicks.

Ric Wallace
5   Posted 24/02/2008 at 11:10:05

I think it would be useful to know that Arteta has been carrying a groin injury for 3 months.
It was in the Daily Post yesterday in an interview with him that he stated he hasn’t been training in between matches due to the pain but Moyes couldn’t afford to lose him through the ACN and earlier over the Christmas period.

He says now though he is over the injury and is feeling better. So hopefully we will see the old Arteta from last season.

I think on the topic of free kicks, Arteta has always seemed to opt for placement over power in whatever free kick he takes. Therefore if his placement is average it looks like an awful free kick because the goalie can claim it easily.
Fernandes seems to be able to incorporate both power and accuracy into his game.

I was thinking the other night if Yakubu can curl a goal in like his first against Brann maybe he could take free kicks on the edge of the area?
Mark Griffiths
6   Posted 24/02/2008 at 14:26:45

Has anyone noticed that not only has Arteta?s form dipped slightly, but his free kicks have fallen away.

When he first came to us I always thought he would score when we got a direct free kick but now he finds it more difficult?
Mike Coates
7   Posted 24/02/2008 at 15:29:33

I always found McFadden impressive to watch from free kicks when watching him play for Scotland and was disappointed he didn’t get more of a chance at Everton. Seeing his results at Birmingham City makes me happy for him now. Hope he’s enjoying football at the new club :) and good luck in avoiding relegation.
Sean Condon
8   Posted 24/02/2008 at 16:03:51

Who isn?t happy for McFadden? Fact is, however, he simply did not play well enough for us to justify regular selection. A moment of brilliance here and there couldn?t compensate for his many weaknesses (dribbling into back alleys, never lifting his head, moaning instead of tracking back, etc...).
Personally, I am glad he?s gone (and getting regular playing time) because it means more opportunities for the two young ?uns.
On the subject of free kicks, I had been curious as to why MA didn?t seem to have the same snap in his shots this year, but if he?s been bothered by a groin injury why the fuck has he been taking fk?s?
When he?s on the pitch Baines has got to be given a chance from dead balls.
Fernandes, too.
One more thing. I know what yer sayin, Dave, about the relative paucity of free kicks we are awarded on the top of the box. Surely, this is down to our incessant habit of banging long balls down towards the flags. We do, however, have two or three good opportunities per match to strike a loose ball that rolls out of the box. Sadly, 98% of these fall to Carsley. Hopefully, sometime soon, these are going to start dropping on Manny?s toe.
Mark Griffiths
9   Posted 24/02/2008 at 17:02:48

Ohh crap!!

Tottenham have scored in ET, so 5th is Uefa Cup?????

So typical, we play Chelsea and they are on fire and Spurs play them and they are crap, and before anyone says Tottenham have stopped them playing, I do not think Tottenham are any great shakes and they have played well to a degree today but Cheslea have been just plain awful!!!

Not being bitter due to the fact that we nearly got there am I!
Dick Fearon
10   Posted 24/02/2008 at 23:59:12

At almost 70 years of age I can still do the simple job of lobbing a 30 yard free kick to where it does most good.
I most certainly would not be hitting it straight to the first defender.
With over 50 years of amateur playing and coaching experience I would be happy to show this simple and basic tecnique. As I said previously, it is not rocket science.
Alan Ryder
11   Posted 25/02/2008 at 09:41:39

What boots do you wear, Dick?
John Murphy
12   Posted 25/02/2008 at 10:24:02

I seem to remember Baines banging in a few free kicks back in his Wigan days. The one against Man U sticks out.
Dick Fearon
13   Posted 25/02/2008 at 12:15:15

Alan, When in my mid fifties I sadly hung up my well worn Predators.
Apart from wonderful memories my numerous scars are the only visible mementos of a long and totally undistinguished playing career.
despite my lack of ball skills I usually got the job of taking free kicks. Any man or his dog could do that kind of simple stuff.

Alan Ryder
14   Posted 25/02/2008 at 13:23:53

Dick

It is infuriating when we don’t seem to be able to clear the first man on corners or get it above head height on the free kicks.

I played to a similar standard as yourself and whilst I believe kicking a dead ball over a wall is actually a difficult skill, (otherwise everybody would be at it), you would think with the amount of practice time our pros have there would be a better goal return. Frustrating!
( By the way - STYLO MATCHMAKERS were about my budget)
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:19:43

Alan
At practice when other kids had great fun shooting at goal I was positioned behind the goal to retrieve balls that missed the net. Often that meant having to kick them back over the cross bar. A few years of that and I could lob balls with ease to any distance with reasonable accuracy.
That probably was my one claim to fame and to be honest I was quite proud of it.
Those expensive Predators, were initially bought by one of my sons but were too big for him. They lasted for ages and their cost when spread over the long run worked out cheaper than the usuals.
Alan Ryder
16   Posted 25/02/2008 at 23:03:44

Dick

You’ve just described my job on Saturday mornings with my lad’s team.

Anyway, we’re all happy tonight!