Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

AJ revisited

I'd just like to say that I'm well happy with AJ's contribution against Brann. I only just got to see the highlights on EvertonTV.

He's come in for a lot of stick on these pages recently, which I can only partially understand. He's been an incredible servant for the club and a model of how I would like all Everton players to conduct themselves.

I think he showed that he can have a future at Everton, if used effectively. He scored 2 absolute corkers and was really unlucky not to have a 3rd. He also made the Yak's 2nd with his running and played a big part in Arteta's goal.

Fair enough it was against Brann and not Man U or Barcelona, but those 2 strikes (3 including the post!) would have beat pretty much any keeper. Anyway, I really hope he kicks on now and gets on a scoring run.

While no player is above criticism, I feel it's too early to write him off as a future Toffeeman. He's not had a great season so far, but let's get behind him and hope he finishes it on a flyer.
Richard Parker, Paris, France     Posted 25/02/2008 at 10:27:58

Comments

Michael Kenrick
For once he actually fired off some shots... two went in and one hit the post! They were great gaols and I was well pleased.... which makes it all the more frustrating for me to have watched him fannying about for what seems like ages. A striker has to have that predatory instinct to fire at will. I still think his first touch is poor and he fails to command the ball when it comes near him, but he was far better last Thursday than he has been for a long, long time. Let's hope, if he plays tonight, that he steps it up a another gear and goes for that hat-trick!
Micheal Barry
1   Posted 25/02/2008 at 16:05:40

Well said Richard

I really hope AJ makes it i meen after all the guy is a finisher.
Steve A
2   Posted 25/02/2008 at 16:33:10

Like him alot - but I still think that with the other striking options we have available, £10- 12 million could be put to much better use elsewhere.

I agree that his work rate is second to none but sometimes this can fall into the headless chicken category and while he is quick he is not going to get any faster and I don’t think I have ever seen him beat a man with anything other than speed. His control is not good and will he ever get another penalty in the Prem?

Dan McKie
3   Posted 25/02/2008 at 16:46:56

He might get another pen if he ever appeals for one, the last couple of times he has been fouled in the box ive half expected him to gesture to the ref for a booking for himself! He has lost the confidence to dart into the box at pace, even his 2 goals the other night were both outside the box!
Tony Williams
4   Posted 25/02/2008 at 17:14:12

The main difference with Johnson last Thursday is that he was playing in the centre not chasing balls down the wing. He was running at defenders in dangerous areas not just trying to hold the ball up and look for a cross.

I doubt we will play 4-4-2 tonight with the game being so important, I would imagine a 4-5-1 with the Yak up front, not very fair on Johnson but it will be a game that Moyes just doen not want to lose. Any kind of result sees us back in 4th place
Jonathan Fletcher
5   Posted 25/02/2008 at 17:17:16

Is he REALLY that quick?

I can’t remember him skipping past someone for fun a la Henry or Ronaldo?
Brett Bradshaw
6   Posted 25/02/2008 at 17:33:30

Not a chance I would consider selling AJ!

Between the 4 of them (Yak, Vic and Vaughan inc.) we have everythinig we need from a strike force. Pace, strength, class, quality, potential, hunger, desire and a heck of alot of years left in them.

I cant see us buying another striker for about 5 years. If one goes off the boil or gets injurred there is another sitting waiting to take his chance.

So AJ has had a dip in form, the Yak has stepped up. I wonder if the Yak would come under threat if he didnt score for 10 games?

I think Vic could fill his boots for a couple of games anyway.
Jimmy Crack
7   Posted 25/02/2008 at 18:42:55

Why cause he’s black?
Huh? HUH?
Racist!!!!!!!

It’s incredibly frustrating that the first time in years we have an incredible strikeforce, we have too many to keep happy!
Dave Lynch
8   Posted 25/02/2008 at 18:52:43

Rich.
I have been defending Johnson for some time now.
I will repeat again for the knockers ( ooer missus ).
He is an off the shoulder player, not a channel runner.
Against Brann he was playing his natural game and the confidence oozed out of him.
Even when running the channels though, he gave it his all.
Jack Calvert
9   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:04:19

On AJ’s pace according to Nike/OPTA he is officially the second fastest player in the premier league after Ronaldo.
Brett Bradshaw
10   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:07:08

On AJ’s pace (again)

I was led to believe Walcott was faster than one Henry... Where does opta have Walcott placed?
Mark Ramshaw
11   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:16:07

AJ benched! Hibbert back plus Neville in midfield! Arghhhh
Brett Bradshaw
12   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:20:36

Had a feeling Hibbo would be back. Rightly so I think (as he did so well last time against one Petrov)

Still, AJ with fresh legs and 442 could be quite nice with half hour left! Just to kill the game off like...
Martin Beesley
13   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:21:01

He won’t get a hat trick from the bench that’s for sure! why oh why play Neville and Carsley in midfield? Manny benched also and Arteta is missing injured.. City match up the same 4-5-1.. I was lookin forward to this!! set to be dull one i think, lets hope we sneak it.
Santosh Benjamin
14   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:27:30

Cant see Vaughan anywhere.....why doesnt he get a game...atleast on the bemch....we will miss Mikel....what the heck is Neville doing in midfield again? Will we ever learn?
Neil Pearse
15   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:36:43

Here we see Moyes succumbing to ’favouritism’ syndrome (the same disease that destroyed Chelsea this weekend).

Quite rightly he plays Hibbert at RB because he is better defensively than Neville against Petrov. But he can’t bring himself to drop his favourite Neville. So he goes into midfield despite his repetitively awful performances there. Manny, who is in a different world of quality to Neville, sits on the bench.

Well, we’ve still got more than enough to get something from this. Let’s hope we don’t pay for Moyes’s attachment to the worst player in our current first team squad.
Jason Broome
16   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:45:13

The Brann game proved one thing. AJ can score from anywhere when the midfield quality of Arteta, Fernandes & Pienaar compliment his game.

They carved Brann open so much that we could of scored Ten. That is why signing the latter two is essential.

AJ was & can still be a 15-20 goal a season player. However, even Henry would suffer from Carsley’s & Neville’s Hoof ballitus.

The jury is still out on Johnson, but with the right service, it won’t be out for long.
Wayne Smyth
17   Posted 25/02/2008 at 19:55:49

I really hope Moyes proves us all wrong, but I can’t remember the last time neville and carsley in midfield actually worked....and by the sounds of it no-one else can fathom it either!?!?

Lets hope he knows what he’s doin.
Anthony Newell
18   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:14:00

Johnson benched - what the fuck???

FFS Moyes, go for it for gods sake
Stuart Mitchell
19   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:18:29

YAK BANGS ONE IN

1-0
Andy Ellams
20   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:27:15

gooooooooaaaaaaaaaaallllll!!!!!!!!!!!
Wayne Smyth
21   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:31:48

GET IN!

I can break open the beer now!
Geraint Cooksley
22   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:35:07

Wayne,

You are waiting until now to open the beer!!!?

Watching in Barcelona - they put the Premier League free on the national TV :-)

That’s two., what a ball in by Carsley and Lescott doesn’t miss from there
Anthony Newell
23   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:41:45

This Hart looks like he’s papping himself everytime a ball comes in - get Johnson on so we can get our goal difference up!!!
Jason Broome
24   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:50:14

Agreed. I think Johnson is chomping at the bit.

This is one of our hardest games left of the season and we are taking the piss.
Wayne Smyth
25   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:47:11

I only start drinkin once we’re ahead....

Alcohol is a mood stimulant and I’ve had too many years of feeling really pissed off and unhappy after games we’ve lost.

This season has been good tho’, haven’t had many sober evenings!

Have to say, up until we scored I feared the worst. Thought we were waiting for the inevitable. But credit to Moyes and the lads so far, they’ve been resolute at the back and the quality of set-pieces has been much better than when arteta is around. Maybe set-piece duty should be rotated a bit....
Ron Joynson
26   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:53:39

Drink when you’re winning, you only drink when you’re winning.

Come on you Blues
Anthony Newell
27   Posted 25/02/2008 at 20:59:55

Johnson’s pace on the break now and were quids in big time
Martin Cutler
28   Posted 25/02/2008 at 21:51:30

B - R - I - L - L - I - A - N - T

..........what a brilliant season this is (with better to come)!!
Anthony Newell
29   Posted 25/02/2008 at 21:24:53

Get that bloody table updated!