Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Forget about fourth

Let?s stop all this talk of finishing fourth. We are only five points behind Chelsea and are still to play them at Goodison. No reason why we shouldn?t be pushing for third this season. That's what I want to see Moyes and the rest of us concentrating on from now on.

Incidentally, it would be nice for those who only post on here after we have had a bad result to write something positive. I want to hear your opinions on our current form and whether you may have had a change of heart regarding Moyes. I am not being provocative, or having a go at any particular individual here but your views would make interesting reading.
Shaun Sparke, Prescot     Posted 25/02/2008 at 22:59:28

Comments

Brian Noble
1   Posted 25/02/2008 at 23:01:25

Tonight, I saw the light! Ever since Tony Marsh `went soft`,I have been a lone voice in doubting that David Moyes could really do the job for Everton. But now I have to say that in 20 years I have never seen a team so committed to the cause as that which brought the points back from Eastlands. And that MUST be down to David Moyes!

From this moment on, life will become much more of a pleasure as my glass will be half full rather than half empty. I guess it`s been staring me in the face for weeks but now I have to admit it ? this Everton are a bloody good side who will give blood for the cause. We may not win silverware this season but fourth place in the Prem is a trophy of sorts and I`m sure we can do it.

There, I`ve said it ? life will be good from now on.... I`ve had an hour or so on the ale since 10 o`clock but it`s given me the courage to say I was wrong! COYB!

Glen Strachan
2   Posted 27/02/2008 at 19:22:53

I do not believe we should be looking at any particular finishing place but with 13 Premier games left I believed we should be looking for 35 more points.

Since then we have won 2 games and taken six of these points and with confidence growing and the players encouraged by these Uefa Cup matches rather than drained, there is no reason why this Everton side should not collect at least 29 of the remaining 33 points .

The trip to the Emirates is a hard one and the derby, as we saw last time, can often be a lottery but we must look at all of the other 9 matches as very winnable.

A nod to Hibbert for the two City games where he kept one of the form players in the Premier League so quiet that the poor clown got frustrated enough to commit 3 red card offences on Monday night and even the pathetic Rob Styles eventually got wise to that (if not the hand balls).

Man of the season ............Lee Carsley.........as the whole damn thing continues to revolve around him but watch these tackles mate.........we need you for the ?closing? games!
Dave Jeanrenaud
3   Posted 27/02/2008 at 20:05:14

Brian,

Credit to you for admitting you were wrong about Moyes. Maybe Dutch can put in an appearance and admit he was wrong about the Yak!

37 points from our last 17 league games and 7 succesive wins in Europe. Long may this wonderful run continue.

Dan Brierley
4   Posted 27/02/2008 at 20:40:50

I didnt realise we havent conceded a goal from League opposition yet this year!!

This is certainly the best run of form for a long while, the team works its socks off week-in, week-out.

My faith in this run has not faltered, I knew it was coming. And it wasn't blind faith, I have seen the foundations being built, both on and off the pitch. It simply felt ?right?. The players are playing well, but am I alone in feeling, even in the City game, we can have done better? I still dont think we have reached the potential of this group...

Paul Rigby
5   Posted 27/02/2008 at 21:47:58

The second half of the first half at City was the best football I’ve seen from a Moyes Everton side. On the deck, accurate passing, and movement off the ball - everything we’ve been waiting (and calling) for. In summary, a credit to a manager I didn’t think had it in him. Just keep it going, and take that 4th place by the scruff of the neck.
Danny Mullally
6   Posted 27/02/2008 at 21:53:23

Dont want to piss on any bonfires here but we MUST aim for 3rd. If the shite go all the way in the European cup and win the fucking thing again, the fourth placed team will NOT be entered into the Champions League under the new rules drawn up after the last debacle when FIFA let them in. With Chelsea having a bit of a wobble in the League Cup and a bit of unrest with Terry and the coaches, let's hope we can shock the whole fucking country even more than last night's earthquake and finish in 3rd..... dare we we even contemplate it???
Colin Jones
7   Posted 27/02/2008 at 22:04:59

Fight for the points, we can finish 3rd, we can still win the title!

COYB FTRS
Stefan Tosev
8   Posted 27/02/2008 at 22:35:44

Colin,

a bit OTT :)
James Dore
9   Posted 27/02/2008 at 23:07:07

And the nicest part? AJ and the Yak being interviewed after the Brann game. Both credited each other and the team. No egos or primadonnas at all!
Jason Broome
10   Posted 27/02/2008 at 23:41:52

With you!

As my girlfriend tells me... I am not prone to premature jubilation but any chance to jump above Chelski must be taken.

So here we stand 3 points above the Kings of Europe & 5 points behind the back-to-back Premier League champions. What does that say about the ’infamous big 4’

I know one thing... I wouldn’t swap their Chairmen, their managers, their players or even their money. Why? Because we’re building the hard way, the Everton way.

When they were down we never gave up. All we ask now is the same... Go for third!
James Wong
11   Posted 28/02/2008 at 00:48:46

Danny,

I wouldn?t be surprised if all this talk about us trying to finish fourth in the media is just a smoke-and-mirror act so we can quietly sneak up to third.

We?re five points and a game behind, it's a long way, but Chelsea are going to play a lot of difficult London derbies, so hopefully they draw a couple of those.
Eric Myles
12   Posted 28/02/2008 at 01:14:50

And we also need to bang in a lot of goals against the likes of Sunderland and Derby to get our goals difference up just in case it comes down to that in the end.
Franny Porter
13   Posted 28/02/2008 at 05:36:39

Watchin the City game the other night, I thought we were outstanding.

City had loads of possession but never really looked like getting past Joe or the Rock that is Phil Jagielka. We, however, looked dangerous every time we attacked.

It reminded me of when you see a boxer holding someone at arms length, and just picking off his opponent with ease with calculated jabs.

IMO that performance was probably our most ?professional? performance under Moyes.

Special mention to Jaggy-Jelka (copyright K Ratcliffe) ? how much has this guy improved in such a short amount of time? I honestly thought he was utter shite early in the season. Phil, I eat my words.
Ajay Gopal
14   Posted 28/02/2008 at 08:15:56

At this happy moment, I am actually missing Doddsy (remember him ?).

Anybody know what happened to him? I hope he is alright.

Come back, Doddsy !!
Colin Jones
15   Posted 28/02/2008 at 21:38:53

Franny I’m glad it’s only your words you’re eating.
Rob Jones
16   Posted 28/02/2008 at 23:37:14

Franny dont be silly hes called jajelka no g’s lol.

Brian well done but am I missing something? When did TM soften?

Yeah why not aim for 3rd and if you think about it Chelsea finish 4th will Mr Blood Money wanna stay? if RS finish 5th or lower will Hicks, GIllette and DIC still want to own them? this could have long term benefits for us and almost as good, long term consequences for RS and chelsea.

COYB!!!