Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Is it me???

...or are the Everton management dithering again?

1) Why doesn't Moyes know what the clubs aspirations and spending plans are going to be? re: signing his new contract.

2) Why haven't the club signed Steven Peinaar yet? Probably the best wide man since Trevor Steven. A snip at £2.2M. Even the player doesn't know what's going on!

3) Why do they need to look at Fernandes AGAIN, before deciding to buy him?? Has he changed that much since last year?

Instead of wasting valuble time and money sueing Keioc and trying to gag protestors over the Kirkby move, they should concentrate on the important things, like the players and the manager, before they all get pissed off and leave!

Get them signed!
Brian Baker, Aldershot     Posted 09/04/2008 at 12:57:27

Comments

Andy MacFarlane
1   Posted 09/04/2008 at 14:46:54

Er, yes... I think it's you.

1. Spending plans are obviously linked to league finishing position / European placing. (Contrary to what some may choose to believe, I don?t think BK would try to bullshit DM with outlandish promises that might not be capable of being kept, and I don?t think DM would fall for it anyway).

2. Twenty one days left in an "option" contract is still a long time. I think there may have been a bit of a stall to find out what exactly Bafana Bafana?s position vis a vis FIFA is for the lead up to the World Cup matches.

3. Well, actually it appears he has. Maybe the same player is still in there somewhere, but he isn?t performing like it, and £10mill or so is a LOT of money. So he?s got 5 more games to prove his worth. I?m not that worried (.... yet!).

Stanley Ashbourne
2   Posted 09/04/2008 at 14:53:32

I am in dispair, the way this club are run. It's like a soap opera.
Paul O'Hanlon
3   Posted 09/04/2008 at 14:50:16

1. We don?t have much money in the bank, so it depends on where we finish this season and what investment we can secure (or loans!).

2. Agree with you totally. We must at least be able to find £2.2m??! What the hell have the board been doing since agreeing the fee with Dortmund over a month ago? Or is Moyes maybe having some doubts?

3. I don?t think Moyes has any intention of spending £12m on Fernandes now. He brought him back in on loan first and foremost to bolster the squad, then if he lived up to his hype look to do a deal in the summer. Thank fuck we didn?t sign him last summer!!!
Arthur Jones
4   Posted 09/04/2008 at 14:51:07

Right now, all we are listening to and reading is tenuous gossip from tabloid press.How many times over the last few years have we heared all this? Last season West Ham were buying AJ, Mikel and Tim C, he next thing we knew they?d all signed 5-year contracts. Then Chelsea had finalised a deal with Lescott half way through the season and what do you know???? He?s ours ?til 2012.

Stop jumping the gun, none of us know what's going on behind the scenes except of course so and so?s mate whose sister knows someone who makes the tea in the ticket office / megastore / the butty bar! Anyway, there?s always The Sun, they?re good for a laugh.

Paul Lenehan
5   Posted 09/04/2008 at 14:58:28

I have no doubt that Moyes has an axcellant idea of what he will be spending in the summer. As previously stated the exact amount will depend on where we finish and if we qualify for CL. Moyes hasn?t signed yet becuase he is concentrating on the league and frankly because its not a big issue. He will sign in the summer. As for Pienaar, I'm in no doubt that the deal will be sorted sooner rather than later. I know the club don?t always handle things as well as they could but sometimes I think we are hyper critical. These to me are non-issues that will be resolved in good time.
Paul Hennessey
6   Posted 09/04/2008 at 15:16:16

A bit of both really....

1. I seriously think we?re skint...hece the lack of transfer movement in January - we?re clearly waiting to see where we finish and if we qualify for any European competiton before planning how much we have to spend
2. I don't have a clue why we?re dithering over Pienaar - although his wages could be a stumbling block?
3. I?m glad we?ve looked at him again - as he doesnt look anywhere near as good as last year for whatever reason
Terry Doyle
7   Posted 09/04/2008 at 15:03:26

1. As others have stated, final league position will dictate to a large degree but think he also wants to see if the boards ambition matches his own, with regards to his next 5 year plan. All best dealt with at the end of season when we?ve secured European competition again.

2. Agree completely. Why be clinical when you can haggle. It?s the ?Everton Way? after all.

3. Again, agree. The boys got class and with a pre-season behind him & the reassurance that he?s wanted, in my opinion that huge potential will begin to bare results. Moyes is trying to raise the lads game for the run in, he knows what he?s capable of & that he?s improving but is still some way short of the influence he can have. I think Moyes wants him, but as ever the finance will be the deciding factor.
Brian Waring
8   Posted 09/04/2008 at 15:53:06

FFS lad’s, we are talking £2.2m here. Why the fuck don’t we just pay the money now, and get him on the book’s full time? Are we actually saying we need to wait until we know our final league position, before we buy him? If so, that would be a fucking joke! We can all see the lad has ability, and with the right mixture of midfield player’s he would be a huge asset. But, this is the ’Everton way’ that see’s us as a laughing stock .
Alan Clarke
9   Posted 09/04/2008 at 16:23:34

The thing that bugs me the most is that the McFadden money seems to have disappeared into thin air.

I honestly believe that Moyes not signing a new contract is to do with the fact that he has been promised money to spend but doesn’t trust the board to deliver on their promise. Through the grapevine I heard Moyes had a deal for Downing sewn up in January but our beloved chairman pulled the plug. About a week later Moyes leaks it to the press that he’s thinking of not signing a new contract.

This summer is Kenwright’s true test. Moyes has been papering over the cracks of Kenwright’s mismanagement for too long now.
Brendan Mcdonnell
10   Posted 09/04/2008 at 16:35:41

Brian Waring, think you misunderstood there. Nobody said we?re waiting until the end of the season to see what our final league position is before signing Pienaar, that was related to funds available for Moyes in the coming summer (point 1).

I agree with Andy MacFarlane, we?re probably waiting to see what the score is with this lidicrous suggestion that South African FA geezer came out with regarding all their players training with them (instead of playing with their clubs) UNTIL THE START OF THE WORLD CUP THERE!!!! Come on, If FIFA agree to this daft suggestion we?re hardly gonna shell out £2 million plus for a player who is elsewhere for two years now are we?!!

Mark Pendleton
11   Posted 09/04/2008 at 17:28:13

1. I agree with outlining spending plans in line with what income you can expect. Would people prefer us to say we’ve got 5m and bank on UEFA which is the correct approach or just do a Leeds and say we’ve £20m in case we qualify for Champs League? We can’t spend it yet anyway and Moyes doesn’t want any distractions from his current squad and what they do in the final 5 games.

2. It is a while we have left on the Pienaar deal. And his wages surely can’t be a stumbling block because according to the player himself EFC haven’t agreed the deal with his club so he can’t begin to negotiate terms. I still think it will happen.

3. I think Manny has been struggling with injury, much the same as Arteta which has been hampering his form. To be honest, on the basis of this season’s form we wouldn’t have signed Arteta. But we’re glad we did obviously as we know what we can usually expect from him. I think the same can be said for Manny. We know what he can do and he’s more than likely to get fit and do it again. And what’s wrong with giving him that extra incentive over the last few games?
Gareth Hughes
12   Posted 09/04/2008 at 17:33:40

Alan Clarke; if Kenwright, who I can’t stand, vetoed a move by Moyes for Downing, then he has just gone up in my estimation. Downing is average, slow, does’ent score and , dare I say it, a typical Moyes player. All industry, no talent.
Dave Whitwell
13   Posted 09/04/2008 at 19:17:21

Hmm, the player has said that the deal needs to be sorted prior to the end of April, which seems strange seeing as our deal with Dortmund doesn’t expire until June? I agree with many that if £2.2m is the true figure the its a nonsense just sign him. However I wouldn’t be surprised if the deal is for a down payment of £2.2m plus sell on/apperance fees etc. I’m convinced it must be more complicated than just paying £2.2m though.

Money aside though, I have to say i’m not completing convinced, I think he was very good during the unbeaten run we had up to AFC, despite costing us points against Man U, but since then I think he has been relatively poor, having said that so have most. Don’t get me wrong i’m not slating the lad and if it is only £2.2m then we should sign him at least as a squad member, however if its more like 6, 7-8 then I would have more reservations.

With regard to Manny, I think the position is totally different. This guy as it all in his locker. I think as Moyes has said he just needs to feel like he belongs somewhere. I thought he was superb last year and in the Euro under 21’s he was again excellant for portugal. Then he made a bad choice (likely agent led) completely lost he confidence and fitness. But he can get that back, I can’t help feeling we will regret not signing him.

On the money side, I have posted on a number of occasions on this site that a business works on a budget. At the outset of this season Moyes & the board would have set expectations which would be tied into a financial budget. My guess is that 8th in the league and a better performance in the cups. I think its clear that we have exceeded that and therefore there is likely to be more than we anticipated for this summer, the question is how much more, and until 5th or 4th is wrapped up they simply won’t know.
Ron Leith
14   Posted 09/04/2008 at 20:21:14

Maybe Pienaar is trying a bit of mind games and is just uping the ante to get more dosh. Afterall he is a footballer and they are generally not very loyal if there is more cash available at the toon.

Hopefully he will sign but he ain?t the greatest player in the world and you never know we may be able to get somebody better. I for one have noticed Pienaar is not as good as he was earlier in the season.

I would not expect any deal that EFC are involved in to go smoothly mainly because Moyes and Kenwright have to use their nous rather than just chuck money around aka Liverpool, Man City or Newcastle.

I think we will probably let Pienaar and Fernanades go and try for two from Downing, Gonzalez, Karlstrom, Howard of Barnsley, Ledley of Cardiff, Nolan and Bradley. We will also buy another striker, and a right wing back.

Anthony Jaras
15   Posted 09/04/2008 at 20:53:00

’I think we will probably let Piennaar and Fernanadez go and try for two from Downing, Gonzalez, Karlstrom, Howard of Barnsley, Ledley of Cardiff, Nolan and Bradley. We will also buy another striker, and a right wing back. ’

You can keep all those to be honest!!!!

Best wide man since Trevor Steven....??? Surely that was Kanchelskis????

Terry Smith
16   Posted 09/04/2008 at 20:52:07

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Everton announce on their website on the run-up to Easter that we would be signing Pienaar no later than Good Friday!!!!!! Well it is now the 9th of April & Pienaar has now come out wanting to know what the hell is going on.... I cant beleive that we have not snapped this lad up yet. £2.2M that is absolutly fuck all in this day & age and can only give me the jitters with this summers transfer market etc etc.. And I can only point the finger at one man... Mr Kenwrong.
Rob Hollis
17   Posted 09/04/2008 at 21:16:54

Ron
That’s one of the most depressing posts I have ever read.
Andrew Brophy
18   Posted 09/04/2008 at 22:05:44

Apparently, the clause in the loan deal that allows us to sign Pienaar for, well, peanuts, expires on 30thApril. so we can’t actually wait until the end of the season and see where we finish.

Just a thought, but do you think that bringing the discount renewal deadline for season tickets forward to mid-April is connected in any way? Perhaps we’re waiting to see what money comes in by then from renewals?

Whaddya think?
Jay Harris
19   Posted 09/04/2008 at 23:43:10

I really am getting fed up with this Blue Bill bullshit.
We were supposed to sign Manny for £12 million last August.
We got £5 million plus for McFadden in January.
We can expect (according to what I?ve read) anything between £30 and 50 million TV money.
And while I don?t rate Peanuts as highly as many on here, who the fuck do you get for £2.2 million.
It's absolute chickenshit in the current climate.
Maybe we?re gonna buy a Rabbit instead.
John Taylor
20   Posted 10/04/2008 at 02:11:24

A bit of both really....

2. I don’t have a clue why we?re dithering over Pienaar - although his wages could be a stumbling block?

1) seriously think BIGGER DEAL IS BEING MADE OF THIS THAN NECCESARY.The man is gonna leave a dynasty, ala Busby, Shankly, Ferguson

2) the lad will be signed up soon enough. he’s CLASS an a improvement on wot we got. SO |WATCH THIS SPACE

3) I think all he’s done is prove ya can’t judge a book by it’s cover as, although he’s struggled most of the time he’s been back...! I’m a big critic but still thunk he’s worth a punt if the price is right, PURE CLASS on his day...!
John Taylor
21   Posted 10/04/2008 at 02:25:27

Add West Ham, Villa & Tottenham to the mix not forgetting Portsmouth... but do they have asmuch success as Moyes? Judgement of player?

Matt Traynor
22   Posted 10/04/2008 at 02:34:30

Dave Whitwell - It need not be that complicated. I think people forget that after this season, Pienaar only has 12 months left on his contract with Dortmund, which will determine his value. We all agree he?s good at the price quoted, but is no Messi, so I?d expect it to be a "clean" price with no add-ons, as he?s only got a year left anyway.
Richard Parker
23   Posted 10/04/2008 at 09:45:59

1. Moyes will sign a new contract, the board can?t afford to let him go, so they?ll make sure he doesn?t one way or another. Unless old Jose M decides against Inter and wants a stab at adding the Uefa Cup to his honours list?!

2. I think we?ll sign Pienaar, probably red-tape slowing it down. If we can?t afford the £2.2M then scratch what I said in 1 - Moyes is off. Pienaar isn?t top class, but he?s a handy player and I?m sure that DM will want to keep him at that price.

3. Manny?s future is the most uncertain, no way are we gonna pay £12M for him. His stock has fallen way too much this saeson to justify that price tag. £6M plus performance related add-ons may see a deal....... though he did show signs when on the left, 2nd half, against Derby.

Moyes has traditionally left it late in the day to give players a new deal, partly to make sure that they don?t relax going into the final straight. Could just be keeping Pienaar on his toes?

Unless there is a bigger thing going on behind the scenes? That?s the only explanation that I can think of for all these delays......

Phil Brown
24   Posted 10/04/2008 at 10:23:35

Perhaps the answer is a further one year on loan for Fernandes? Other clubs will not exactly be rushing in at £12M.
Dan Johnson
25   Posted 10/04/2008 at 11:33:11

1. Let's face it David Moyes is ambitious and isn't going to carry on just making up the numbers at Everton. Unless BK can send a fat wad his way I think Davey may walk. Strachan is under threat at Celtic so who knows Dvaey could be off.

2. Peanut is holding the club to ransom with his wages. He knows £2.2M is cheap for him and is expecting a big pay-hike to accompany the cheap transfer fee. Whether Everton give in must surely be up to Moyes.

3. Fernandes looked a bit messed up in the head when he came back. Maybe he's settling down now, but no way ever is he a £12M player. He's worth £4-5M tops. Potential is one thing but it's what you are showing now which drives the transfer fee and let's face it, he's showed nothing so far.