Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

Howard Kendall

Just thought I'd share an interesting bit of information with my fellow blues.

I currently live in a small town just outside of Newcastle called Ryton. This town is in fact the town in which our greatest manager was born.

I e-mailed the council to ask them to do something to commemerate the man's achievements. Does anyone know the right way for me to go about this? I just sent an e-mail to general enquiries but don't know if anything will be done with it.

I'm hoping to get a street named after him, or even a statue built... ok I know the latter is very unlikely to happen. If the council don't do anything about it I might petition to get something done.

I'll post another thread if I have any sucess.
Andy Hudson, Newcastle     Posted 10/04/2008 at 11:59:48

Comments

Barry Scott
1   Posted 10/04/2008 at 14:13:36

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ has some information.

I asked Wirral Council to do something similar for Dixie Dean a while back.
Mark Stone
2   Posted 10/04/2008 at 14:50:13

I just live the other side of the Tyne from there near Newburn - let me know if you you take it any further and if I can be of any help
Dave O'Brien
3   Posted 10/04/2008 at 15:35:18

Apparently he was in the same class as Bryan Ferry, somewhere in deepest South Shields. The song entitled ?in every dream home a heartache? was actually written about the proposed move to Kirby with Kendall ?filling in the gaps? as they went along - according to Ferry
Andy Hudson
4   Posted 10/04/2008 at 15:42:32

Thanks Barry, I?ll get in touch with them and see if they will help.

Thanks Mark, too, I?ll let you know if I need any help.
Ron Leith
5   Posted 10/04/2008 at 19:12:29

Street naming is carried out by Building Control. They will often come up with a list of proposed names and consult with local people. So I would write to them. They will have loads of streets to name and may welcome some bright ideas. Get a local Councillor on your side and that will add weight to your suggestion. I think there is a good chance if you do the above, Good Luck.
Martin Kulkarni
6   Posted 10/04/2008 at 22:33:05

Andy

Good idea.
I live in Wallsend, just outside of Newcastle where I was born and brought up. My Sister-in-law was raised in Crawcrook next to Ryton and I think she knows the Kendall family.
Let me know if you require any help with anything. My wife is a councillor, though in North Tyneside not over the water!
Did everyone know that Howard was an outstanding cricketer in his youth and could have made it in the First Class game in all liklihood, just like a certain Gary Lineker?
Good luck Andy
Mark Pendleton
7   Posted 11/04/2008 at 00:29:01

Lovely idea but unless whoever it is has achieved immense success just down the road you haven?t a cat's chance in hell. Whatever that means. Surely a cat has slightly more chance in hell than a dog?
Andy Callan
8   Posted 11/04/2008 at 12:14:24

I live in Bedlington mate.

I have a season ticket in the St End. If you ever need a lift to the game there are loads of blues up here that I am in contact with and would be happy for you to jump in.

Up the toffee’s.....
Andy Hudson
9   Posted 11/04/2008 at 17:31:24

Thanks for the offer Andy its much appreciated!

I’ve only just moved house to Ryton a few months ago so money has been really tight and the only game i’ve managed to get to was the Sunderland one at the Stadium of Light... lucky me eh? ;)

I definatly drop you a message though if I can afford any tickets for home games though in the future.

I got a reply from the council telling me I needed to write a letter to my local councilor about my plans so that will be my next step. I’ll let everyone know if I have any sucess.